Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sitting at a red light three cars back, the left turn light turned green. The second car, a 90's Grand Marquis, honked though the light for straight was still red. The first car reacted and drove through the red light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Watched this play out in my mirror this morning. "Motorcyclist" (does it count if you're on one of those three-wheeled Harley things?) cuts off a Model S to get into the HOV lane. Model S swings back around on the right when there's room. Cue "motorcyclist" flipping off the Tesla and raging for a bit.

It's honestly kinda funny watching some relatively young white-collar office-drone who apparently doesn't want to ride a real motorcycle, trying to look manly and mean.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

antisodachrist posted:

People in the Atlanta metro are aggressively oblivious.

https://gfycat.com/ResponsibleFantasticGeese

I wish I could say that poo poo is rare in Atlanta, but it is more like situation normal.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

IOwnCalculus posted:

Watched this play out in my mirror this morning. "Motorcyclist" (does it count if you're on one of those three-wheeled Harley things?) cuts off a Model S to get into the HOV lane. Model S swings back around on the right when there's room. Cue "motorcyclist" flipping off the Tesla and raging for a bit.

It's honestly kinda funny watching some relatively young white-collar office-drone who apparently doesn't want to ride a real motorcycle, trying to look manly and mean.

I don't understand why anyone buys a three wheeler.
Even worse is those "slingshot" things because they look even more desperately compensatory

Finally, someone combined the inconvenience of riding a motorcycle with the mundanity of driving a car!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Some people buy them because they are disabled.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

nm posted:

Yeah, mentally :haw:

I hadn't thought about that. I got no beef with disabled people trying to have a good time, but the half-in abled motorcyclists are lame IMO

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
They are incredibly light two seaters. I would imagine that it's really fun to drive in a spirited manner. They weigh 1700 pounds, have the engine from a Pontiac solstice, are rear wheel drive, and have a 5 speed manual with a clutch pedal. I don't think anyone is driving one of those for the looks.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 18, 2016

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

GutBomb posted:

have the engine from a Pontiac solstice

Yeah but it's the LE5, which is just their base L850 NA engine.

That said, it seems to be a giant go-kart or mini Ariel Atom so I don't see what's wrong with the concept.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Yeah, mentally :haw:

I hadn't thought about that. I got no beef with disabled people trying to have a good time, but the half-in abled motorcyclists are lame IMO

They are pretty good for people who struggle in normal riding positions as well, my dad has a 3 wheeler harley he likes to do long trips in, but because of his injuries/broken bones he's gotten over the years he finds the seating positions on a 3 wheeler easier on long trips. It probably does annoy people when he rides around town because it takes corners like semi hauling a fragile glass container with VX gas.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

I don't understand why anyone buys a three wheeler.
Even worse is those "slingshot" things because they look even more desperately compensatory

Finally, someone combined the inconvenience of riding a motorcycle with the mundanity of driving a car!
Two wheels at the front, one at the back = reasonable.

One at the front, two at the back = stupid.

Car-like cockpit/control setup = reasonable.

Bike-like cockpit/control setup = stupid.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
The three wheeled Piaggio and Peugeot scooters are a semi decent for commuting in cities as they are not really any wider than normal bikes but are far more stable and are just as easier to park.

Plus the three wheeled Morgan is as cool as gently caress to drive around the English countryside.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Foxtrot_13 posted:

The three wheeled Piaggio and Peugeot scooters are a semi decent for commuting in cities as they are not really any wider than normal bikes but are far more stable and are just as easier to park.

Plus the three wheeled Morgan is as cool as gently caress to drive around the English countryside.

The Morgan is super badass except for the terrible bump steer that Morgan sort of half-admits exists and pretends they fixed themselves rather than admit that some guy who builds Miata coilovers pays more attention to safety than them.

http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/FCM_M3W.htm

My favourite part is how the tie rod contacts the exhaust pipe in bump. Runner-up is the chart of toe change vs. wheel position.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 18, 2016

evilcat
May 16, 2009

InitialDave posted:

One at the front, two at the back = stupid.

Quite a few cars and trucks did use this setup with good results and not a lot of tipping over. Mazda Had the T1100, T1500, T2000 which all worked fine. Their little K360 three wheeler fits in the bed of the T2000 for scale, or if you park one next to a Suburban, the T2000 is bigger. There was a copy of it made in Greece, the name of which I forget. The Daihatsu Midget first generation had some models with doors, steering wheels and one front wheel that did alright. The westcoaster mailster will be possibly familiar to the older AI audience, and the UK side of that might recall the Scammell Townsman, or having seen a Scarab or Mechanical Horse.
The single front wheel is only really bad in braking turns, but making the steering mechanism for them is really cheap. Even at that, you can drive them happily around corners without them tipping over as long as you're used to the handling differences.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
CA has a real winner right now in the video thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD6zJrN9zRQ

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
What is wrong with that greasy-looking guy? That's one of the most punchable faces I've ever seen.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ugly little spud, isn't he?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I think he can hear you Ray.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The only person I feel bad for is the gf/wife and those passerbys who have to get caught up in these retards slap fight.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
At first I thought it was fake, because no one is that punchable. I guess I was wrong. Sucks for the girlfriend (hopefully not wife)...

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bovril Delight posted:

The only person I feel bad for is the gf/wife

She seems out of his league.

He's sweating quite a lot: local climate or under the influence of something?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

:negative:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

nsaP posted:

Sometimes everything works out perfectly.

Rider wanted a fight and he got one. Driver needed an embarrassing beating and he got one.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

nsaP posted:

That thumbnail is deeply satisfying to look at.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Chiwie posted:

That thumbnail is deeply satisfying to look at.

I like how the guy kept getting up and threatening the motorcyclist. :allears:

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

spog posted:

He's sweating quite a lot: local climate or under the influence of something?

He seemed like he was almost drunk with the way he spoke and moved, but it's possible he's just an awkward idiot.

Did I misunderstand the video or did the motorcyclist follow that guy to the parking lot? Or was it just coincidence? Because I don't get why you'd want to stalk a bad driver just to confront them in a parking lot. Nothing productive is likely to come of it. Besides if I tried to follow every bad driver to confront them here, I'd never get anything else done with my day. v:geno:v

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Karma Monkey posted:

He seemed like he was almost drunk with the way he spoke and moved, but it's possible he's just an awkward idiot.

Did I misunderstand the video or did the motorcyclist follow that guy to the parking lot? Or was it just coincidence? Because I don't get why you'd want to stalk a bad driver just to confront them in a parking lot. Nothing productive is likely to come of it. Besides if I tried to follow every bad driver to confront them here, I'd never get anything else done with my day. v:geno:v

Both. While the biker is trying out his new tyres or something close to the parking lot he sees the car again and decides to follow it to the parking lot.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

nsaP posted:

The adventures of an idiot who has a knack for seeking out other idiots to challenge.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nm posted:

Given the lack of handicap plate, and the general reasonable level of fitness on the rider, I doubt this guy fit that category. 99% of the time when I see handicap tags on a trike, the rider looks like the furthest they've walked is the lap between the fridge and the couch.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
There are conditions that impair your balance to the point you may not be able to ride a bike or motorcycle safely, without actually removing your ability to walk. Bingo, you'd need a trike, and it wouldn't have handicap plates.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Followed a guy for 7 miles on the highway who was doing about 75 mph with their brake lights on the entire time. Not even a flicker. Faulty sensor or riding their brakes?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Uthor posted:

Followed a guy for 7 miles on the highway who was doing about 75 mph with their brake lights on the entire time. Not even a flicker. Faulty sensor or riding their brakes?

Right foot on the gas and left foot riding on the brake, but didn't realize it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Craptacular posted:

Right foot on the gas and left foot riding on the brake, but didn't realize it.

That was my first thought. But, they were keeping up with traffic, staying on the right except to pass, and using their signals all the time, so the perfect driver otherwise.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Chances are the switch on the brake pedal is fuckered, my mate's Mini had the same issue with the brake lights on constantly. His are controlled by a lovely little plastic switch sat behind the pedal, when you press the brakes the switch links the circuit and the brake lights come on. The holder for the switch had cracked meaning the circuit was constantly complete and so brake lights 24/7.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

nsaP posted:

I don't care how stupid or ugly the car driver looked, the bike ride is an rear end in a top hat, I hope he gets shot the next time he decides to stalk and confront another driver. The car guy didn't brake check, didn't pass to close, he just passed in an area that probably was not legal, while the bike was accelerating. . . If anything, I'm willing to bet the motorcycle rear end in a top hat was either driving 2mph or brake checking the car driver right before the start of the video, why else would he cut the video at exactly the point he was accelerating while being passed by another driver? At least the car driver mad a pretty decent pass of the SUV without oncoming traffic instead of hugging the very edge of the lane staying inches away from a vehicle that was signaling to make a turn.

I hope the bike owner gets charged with aggravated assault, he was clearly being a jack rear end by stalking the car, then parking far too close to the vehicle before starting to insult the driver. His argument of "I told you not to touch my bike" won't stand up in any court with a sane judge. I cant go around telling people "don't look in my direction or I will assault you, I'm defending my privacy!" I believe the biker needs to loose his license and spend some time in jail so he can learn how to relax and pretend to behave like a normal person.

Also about the brake lights, I had a coworker who had a vehicle where the brake lights were constantly on bright and would go off when pressing the brakes, the driver was well aware of the problem and claimed it was like that for years. I doubt they ever tried to fix the lights, the driver was also an rear end in a top hat in general with regards to life in general. For that matter, 9 out of 10 of my coworkers drive poo poo boxes that would never pass an inspection in any other state, unfortunately KS has no inspections. The only times I have had a vehicle inspected was the two times I have registered out of state vehicles and the inspection was nothing more than looking at the VIN and odometer.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
So a couple weeks ago this lunatic pulled the most insane pass I've ever seen.

I'm sitting in a line of traffic going all the way from the blue dot down on to the intersection, and I'm just about a car and a half length ahead of a 6" concrete curb behind me. All of a sudden I hear a V8 roar and this lunatic in a brotruck blows by me, between my suv and the curb, doing about 40mph. Then he flies down the road into oncoming traffic to race ahead to the intersection. drat near hit me and he just got lucky there wasn't much traffic coming the other way at the time.

Of course, I end up being two cars behind him at the intersection, and we both have to wait for the light to cycle for our turn.

I don't know what gets in people's heads some times, but holy hell, man.

Edit: Bonus intersection stub off to the east. It's loving swamp over there I have no idea what in the world it was ever intended to be. They even put turn arrows on the lanes. ??? Truly a mystery.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I had a bad road moment that didn't involve other drivers for once.

I was heading into town on the highway at around 10pm and see this incredibly bright light up ahead. It's like a roadworks spotlight it's so bright, only it's huge and shining right at me. Turns out it's a backlit billboard for a loving golf club. It was so bright it was like a car with highbeams the size of a shipping container.

So bright, I could barely even read the drat thing from the glare. Shining out over three lanes blinding everyone. Never seen anything like it.

Of course, nothing will get done about it because just about every member of the local council is a member of the club or on its board.

This isn't the billboard, I found this image on google image search, but it's just almost as bright as the one for the golf club. I'm talking 'read a map from 50 metres away' bright.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 20, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I was behind another car for like 20 miles yesterday. This was on a 55 mph rural highway that would drop to 45, 35, 25 mph through towns. I got behind them in a 45 mph zone doing about 30, but there was a cop up ahead pulling someone over, so no big deal. After the cop, they sped up to about 40 mph until we left town, then accelerated all the way to 50 mph. For some reason I didn't pass them and they kept doing 50 mph in a 55 for a few miles before suddenly speeding up to 60 and staying there. That's how fast I wanted to go, so I just tagged along behind.

Next town, again going 5-10 mph under the speed limit until we leave town, 50 mph for 2-3 miles, then 60 mph the rest of the way.

No idea why it took them 3 miles to accelerate 10 mph every time. Was weird.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Crotch Fruit posted:

I don't care how stupid or ugly the car driver looked, the bike ride is an rear end in a top hat, I hope he gets shot the next time he decides to stalk and confront another driver.

Crotch Fruit, eat a snickers.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

nitrogen posted:

Crotch Fruit, eat a snickers.

I mean, he'll still just be a dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Surprise, it's a Prius.

http://www.wqow.com/story/32266142/2016/06/20/construction-reminder-after-car-drives-in-wet-cement