Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That was a good ad video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Fantasy Tripe posted:

No joke, the $3 price tag on Vessel would be perfect to me if it was all going to the Best Friends. The thought that they would get like, a handful of pennies out of it after it's divided up between the dozens of shows I have zero interest in on that site makes me back down everytime. I'd pay $3 a month to a Best Friends patreon in a heartbeat, because I want THEM to have that money, not those other shows.

Edit : though really, if they really do refuse to ever accept donations or a patreon I'd be interested in knowing what merch gives them the best profit or whatever. The most direct line of money to them, with minimal other hands taking cuts outside of stuffing a $20 into Woolies dreads at a con.

Some streaming services give the money only to the shows you watch. I have no idea if Vessel works like this, it seems hard to find concrete numbers for any video site's payment model, but I know it is possible.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Logically, Machinima probably looks at the numbers, profiles of paid users on what they watched, and figure out the payment from there. I don't think they blindly give every single vessel uploader an equal paycheck just for being there.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Final Fantasy X HD? Oh man

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Wait, SERIOUSLY, Final Fantasy X? Is that a full LP?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
I signed up for a free month of Vessel and looked at the next couple of Devil's Third vids.

Are... are we sure that the Ninja Gaiden guy was the director/producer on this game? It's so weird seeing the complete disconnect between the shooting and melee. It's just like Liam says in one of the vids: you have to commit to either melee or guns, and if you chose incorrectly WELP.

Seems like a real stumbling block, because everything else is dumb in exactly the right way and looks like a blast. The finishers, enemies gibbing like blood fireworks, slide-shooting, it's exactly the kind of nonsense you want in an action game.

But, it's like they got all these gourmet ingredients but the sauce isn't quite right. I dunno, it's only 3 videos in so maybe it comes together better later?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dias posted:

Wait, SERIOUSLY, Final Fantasy X? Is that a full LP?

Wait. Is there a Final Fantasy X video up somewhere? I only see this on Vessel:

If it's on Vessel but not showing up for me, the same thing happened with the Saltybet video, just straight up didn't show for me for some reason.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

It's showing up for me. I'm watching it right now

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
god drat it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wait, it just showed up now. Weird

edit: MATT YOU gently caress meet our protagonist, MEG RYAN now I'll never be able to not see that

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 30, 2015

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Wow a full LP of Final Fantasy X? this is guaranteed to be the first triple-digit number episode LP. unless some amazing editing happens.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Al-Saqr posted:

Wow a full LP of Final Fantasy X? this is guaranteed to be the first triple-digit number episode LP. unless some amazing editing happens.

FFX isn't THAT long unless you go hard on the endgame stuff like getting the Celestial Weapons.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

edit: MATT YOU gently caress meet our protagonist, MEG RYAN now I'll never be able to not see that

You never noticed that before?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

TriffTshngo posted:

FFX isn't THAT long unless you go hard on the endgame stuff like getting the Celestial Weapons.

The Tipping 40s LP, which I still remember fondly, lasted 60-odd episodes without really going too deep, and a bunch of them were split into two or three parts. Well, they were drunk a lot of the time, but still.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Oh man, and here I was planning on replaying FFX. Can't wait for this

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Dias posted:

The Tipping 40s LP, which I still remember fondly, lasted 60-odd episodes without really going too deep, and a bunch of them were split into two or three parts. Well, they were drunk a lot of the time, but still.

Most of those were around 20 minutes, though. That's not to say that it won't be more than fifty episodes

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

I really hoped it would be Woolie/Liam after their FF8 video but Matt/Woolie is a good one too.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

gently caress FFX, when's the FFX-2 LP?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

theCalamity posted:

Most of those were around 20 minutes, though. That's not to say that it won't be more than fifty episodes

Well, they ranged from 20 to 30min, about the same as a standard SBFP LP. What I mean is poo poo's gonna last a while. This game is dumb enough to carry it, tho, so let's see.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Rhonne posted:

gently caress FFX, when's the FFX-2 LP?

liam's getting on that

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

theCalamity posted:

You never noticed that before?
Tidus isn't exactly as prevalent as the FedEx arrow man

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.
Grinding is being cut out of FFX at the very least. I'm playing, Woolie's editing.

We're having a blast with it so far.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Tupperwarez posted:

I signed up for a free month of Vessel and looked at the next couple of Devil's Third vids.

Are... are we sure that the Ninja Gaiden guy was the director/producer on this game? It's so weird seeing the complete disconnect between the shooting and melee. It's just like Liam says in one of the vids: you have to commit to either melee or guns, and if you chose incorrectly WELP.

Seems like a real stumbling block, because everything else is dumb in exactly the right way and looks like a blast. The finishers, enemies gibbing like blood fireworks, slide-shooting, it's exactly the kind of nonsense you want in an action game.

But, it's like they got all these gourmet ingredients but the sauce isn't quite right. I dunno, it's only 3 videos in so maybe it comes together better later?

Devil's Third really really doesn't seem like a game to get better as you get further in.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

TheRealestMatt posted:

Grinding is being cut out of FFX at the very least. I'm playing, Woolie's editing.

Like, I like FFIX a lot better than FFX, but I think FFX works a lot better as a LP game because the battle system is way more dynamic AND the story gives you a lot of things to riff on. Editing grinding out will keep it from being a three-digit series too, hehe.

And GODDAMNIT WOOLIE the poo poo kid REALLY is Loki, gently caress him

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Awesome. Tidus was a whiny rear end mofo but Jecht was goddamn great. :human being:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

That is one of the oldest jokes in the book about Tidus

E: oh okay Woolie's blind and Matt's working the vague 10 year memory, I look forward to all joy being eventually snuffed out as FFX takes hold

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 30, 2015

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

Rodyle posted:

And after we just escaped Ultra Despair Girls :smith:

???

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Ignore me

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

I also have a printed Brady games guide, and I'm sorta playing ahead of when we record. We've recorded almost 20 episodes, and I haven't died or needed to restart anything yet.

I think we'll be fine.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TheRealestMatt posted:

FFX's pretty easy (like you probably shouldn't have too much difficulty until Mt. Gagazet if you swapping nerds out constantly) so hopefully you won't have to do much grinding. Hell, I can't think of any mainline FF game that requires grinding to beat.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

FFX's pretty easy (like you probably shouldn't have too much difficulty until Mt. Gagazet if you swapping nerds out constantly) so hopefully you won't have to do much grinding. Hell, I can't think of any mainline FF game that requires grinding to beat.

FFXII you had to grind alot.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

FF14

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TheRealestMatt posted:

FFXII you had to grind alot.

Not really? Good gambits could power you through quite a bit of the game. The only real grind I remember is getting prepped for the Saikawood but I was underleveled because I had ignored a lot of Hunts around that time.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Not really? Good gambits could power you through quite a bit of the game. The only real grind I remember is getting prepped for the Saikawood but I was underleveled because I had ignored a lot of Hunts around that time.

Eh, the thing with XII is that you had to "get" the game to avoid grinding - and also do some of the side-missions to get better poo poo. Out of the mainline games post NES, it's probably the "grindiest" one (and no, the MMOs don't count).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rodyle posted:

That is one of the oldest jokes in the book about Tidus
I never followed anything about the game. Hell, I'm in the same boat as Matt, got up to before the ending and never beat it, so it'll be interesting to see.

Matt, for the final episode, I feel the only appropriate ending after the credits roll is to read an excerpt from a certain Final Fantasy X sequel novel where Tidus kicks a blitzball on the beach, except it's not a blitzball, it's a land mine, and then there's apparently a graphically-described scene of his decapitated, blown up head sailing past Yuna or some poo poo

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I'm so glad you guys are doing FFX, it really is a great game overall and anyone who says otherwise has their own opinion I guess but I loved it.

Thank you.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

"FAAAAARGOOOO"
That'll teach me not to doubt.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
FFX is probably either my full on favorite or tied with 9 for my favorite FF game so I'm very glad you're doing this. Yea there shouldn't be too much bullshit that makes it to the video proper unless you go big dick crazy and get all the celestial weapons and, poo poo man even as a guy who owns both the PS3 and the PS4 versions of the HD remake, nah, a line must be drawn and 'get a negative score on this time trial' is firmly on the 'gently caress it' side of that line.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I hope woolie is watching the latest gundam, because the protagonists just joined a literal Italian mafia that dresses and acts like yakuza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Y'know what I just realized I super miss from the old days? Like, Best Friends Brawl old days?

Matt editing in the clips from where the in-jokes and references came from. Like, the Mario Kart video in particular was amazing for this, especially cutting in Ol' Gill. I know (trust me, doing video editing for most of college on lovely laptops will make you hate Adobe Premire and After Effects) it takes helluva more editing time, but goddamn, I miss it.