Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
God drat it you guys.

I got excited, then you make all the sense and poop on it.

THEN you call it McWOD and it sealed it's fate.

Maybe I will just hoard d10s again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
never get excited for anything, ever

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

En Fuego posted:

God drat it you guys.

I got excited, then you make all the sense and poop on it.

THEN you call it McWOD and it sealed it's fate.

Maybe I will just hoard d10s again.

Play nwod instead.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

In other news, Bite Me is the most hilarious and best take I have ever seen on oVampire during the French Revolution, entirely without meaning to be oVampire.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 30, 2017

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Mors Rattus posted:

In other news, Bite Me is the most hilarious and best take I have ever seen on oVampire during the French Revolution, entirely without meaning to be oVampire.

It's dead, Jim.

e: this link works for me, though: http://www.bitemecomic.com. I guess it was the missing [url]http://[/url] that broke your link

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Whoops.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Hostile V posted:

Yeah and if memory serves, vampires are the second best class in McWoD to tweak and munchkin and that's an integral flaw they have.

The first best class being of course Mages.

As it should be. :smugwizard:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
So once again Stranger Things manages to be CoD as gently caress. I loved this season and the derail in episode 7 got me super pumped for Deviant.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Soonmot posted:

So once again Stranger Things manages to be CoD as gently caress. I loved this season and the derail in episode 7 got me super pumped for Deviant.

I agree for the most part, but thought it was not quite as cohesive or clever as the previous season. The Chicago stuff in particular felt out of step.

Also the heavier use of CGI, in brighter lighting no less, looked just kind of lovely compared to the monster from season 1. Which was especially weird since this season also seemed to feature a lot of "what the gently caress am I even supposed to be looking at" overly dark shots.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Season 2 of Stranger Things was very much like a poorly run session of WoD in that the cast was split into four or five groups of 2-3 and sent on their own plots, some of which were more important or interesting than others, before bringing them together hastily at the end.

Like, if I were in a game where PC 1 has a fraught emotional conflict with PC 2 and then hosed off on her own to explore ancient backstory while PC 2 falls into a deadly supernatural trap, I would have a very frank talk with the ST and we'd either course correct or scuttle the game, because that's not fun to play, nor is it good storytelling in general.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Unfortunately, as has been discussed, that sort of thing can happen pretty commonly in a game like Demon where player characters are encouraged not to trust one another.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Season 1 was the same thing, where the characters were split into groups and then the storylines converged. I *loved* the Chicago stuff. That was so very much the one shot you make up on the fly when most of your players can't show that week. I actually want to see what Kali did, how she assembled this ragtag group of 80's punks and how they transformed into murder squad.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

made for a truly awful episode of TV, tho

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Basic Chunnel posted:

Season 2 of Stranger Things was very much like a poorly run session of WoD in that the cast was split into four or five groups of 2-3 and sent on their own plots, some of which were more important or interesting than others, before bringing them together hastily at the end.

Like, if I were in a game where PC 1 has a fraught emotional conflict with PC 2 and then hosed off on her own to explore ancient backstory while PC 2 falls into a deadly supernatural trap, I would have a very frank talk with the ST and we'd either course correct or scuttle the game, because that's not fun to play, nor is it good storytelling in general.

TV shows are different from RPGs. You can spend entire episodes without featuring major characters, and their players won't get upset. Certain characters - even among the main "protagonist" group - can be significantly more powerful and/or important than others, and that's totally okay. It's an advantage of non-interactive storytelling. You can have multiple branching plots at the same time, split the party, and even have people behave in suboptimal ways!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Basic Chunnel posted:

made for a truly awful episode of TV, tho

Yeah, I see everyone saying this, but I loved that episode. I thought it was a fun sidequest.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Looks like Wraith 20 might actually be our to backers fairly soon.

:ghost:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Basic Chunnel posted:

This is incredibly silly.

There's a reason that many popular media don't translate well into roleplaying games. Imagine if all stories in all media had to be about 3-6 people who are almost always in the same room.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The argument is silly but it's a valid complaint about the show. The main kids group calls themselves a party and they all have great chemistry yet the show does everything in its power to keep them apart.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Yo friends the season's been out for like less than a week maybe ease back on the in depth chatter in a thread that's not about it?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

In other news, Scion has finally moved into a new stage of development and may now come out within, uh, maybe a year, hopefully?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Looks like Wraith 20 might actually be our to backers fairly soon.

:ghost:

Yes! Finally!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOnqjkJTMaA

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Mors Rattus posted:

In other news, Scion has finally moved into a new stage of development and may now come out within, uh, maybe a year, hopefully?

What now?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
It seems like the main issue with Scion is that they're working on two other games from the same system at the same time and every time they come up with a new mechanical idea the Scion team goes "poo poo, I wish I'd thought of that" *Starts retooling*

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
That's... Fairly accurate, yeah. Also, Team Aeon and Team Sea doesn't have to worry about offending real-life psions or fish monsters, but Scion is dealing with still-extant religions for most of its splats.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Storytellering wrote off the fish monster market way back with the stereotype-laden drivel in Blood-Dimmed Tides. They all play Pathfinder now.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It's now waiting on approvals from Rich Thomas before moving into editing.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Team Aeon and Team Sea doesn't have to worry about offending real-life psions or fish monsters
wow racist much

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
https://twitter.com/TheOnyxPath/status/925509275698548736

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Huh, they're still using the term "Jyhad"? They're still doing that? Didn't they learn? I thought they learned. I guess they didn't learn.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

They dropped it from the card game after 9/11 but it stayed an in-game term AFAIK.

Lost_Heretic
Feb 16, 2016

Kavak posted:

They dropped it from the card game after 9/11 but it stayed an in-game term AFAIK.

Close. They changed the name in 1995 because people were associating the name with the 1993 World Trade Center bombing.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Lost_Heretic posted:

Close. They changed the name in 1995 because people were associating the name with the 1993 World Trade Center bombing.

Pretty much. It had already been associated with terrorism for a long time (unjustly, but it's not like White Wolf's usage was particularly progressive either). Granted, I'm not hugely shocked, I just haven't followed the Masquerade revival too closely. It just feels like if you were going to drop any in-game piece of lingo in any White Wolf game, it feels like jyhad would top the list. Or at least hit the top three. The top three not including Year of the Lotus. Or Gypsies.

... okay, let's just say it's one of the most embarrassing terms from a White Wolf corebook.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

...or Metis.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

moths posted:

...or Metis.
I still can't see Metis and think of anything but the goon who brought us swap.avi

If you look at my aura with Auspex, that's what those brown streaks are.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
It's cookbook time. M20's cookbook released today to M20 backers, and unlike Werewolf's, it's got multiple recipes per tradition, not just one. Who wants to learn what wizards eat?

No one? TOO BAD. Our guide through the culinary world of Darkness is a Templar mage this time with an interesting device - mostly these are dishes he learned about at 'underground dinners', a sort of guerrilla culinary experience he picked up at what's basically a mage squat/dining club in Vegas and decided to carry around the world on his travels, dragging mages into kitchens across the world.

We'll skip towards the end to start with the Technocrats, who don't get the multi-recipe treatment. What do we got? Exciting molecular gastronomy? Those weird food pellets from Brazil? Not quite.

Our favourite slaves of the Machine, ITX, offer a cashew curry with aquafaba cheese. Not having much experience with either of those things, the recipe looks fine and the idea's interesting but not tremendously ITX except that ITX is apparently to blame for the massive spike in aquafaba's popularity a couple of years ago.

The NWO gives us Logic Pretzels - sunflower kernel pretzel knots. Why? Because, hilariously, 'All sleeper agents consume sunflower seeds as a consistent part of their snacking habits. This consumption pattern will emerge from a cursory review of their offices, vehicles, or itemized expense reports. If this pattern is absent during agent review, immediately refer the suspected personnel for potential reconditioning.

Sleeper-agent partners have reported difficulties related to this conditioning during extended stakeouts. The following recipe expands food options that will ensure that the agent-monitoring protocol is undisturbed, and optimal work-stress ratios are maintained for individuals assigned to agent-monitoring.'

So there you have it. If you know a guy who eats a ton of sunflower seeds, he's an NWO sleeper agent.

The Progenitors on the other hand mostly eat soy slurry on research missions, but our recipe is from a lab where some clever devil redirected an incubation tank to give them a constant stream of eggs. It's omeletes, with sous vide bacon, shrimp or mushroom. Perfectly fine, though I've never been a fan of sous videing prawns. The recipe does expressly call to sear the bacon up after its been cooked, which is great - it's an easy element to forget and it ruins the flavours.

Our favourite capitalists gone wild, the Syndicate want us to eat chocolate ravioli, designed to evoke the roots of the dish while elevating it to something new and higher as a metaphor for what the Syndicate does. Basically, it's pasta with cocoa added to the dough, filled with ganache and raspberry jelly, with a zabaglione sauce. Not my jam, but probably delicious.

Void Engineers celebrate history with a corned beef sandwich, made fancy. John Young was an Extraordinary Citizen and they honour him. So right now, somewhere out in the cold void, a sleek Void Engineer warship is closing slowly with a Nephandic entropy-barge. Time stretches out, and the junior officers take a moment to eat. Then the synth drum beats to quarters. As gas vents from the hull and the last dying embers burn out, the crew floating cold and lifeless through the void, a solitary corned beef sandwich spins forever in zero-g over a magnetic mess kit.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Loomer posted:

So there you have it. If you know a guy who eats a ton of sunflower seeds, he's an NWO sleeper agent.
Uh oh.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I like the idea of everybody eating the same thing- it's a very minor trait but one that an in-the-know person can use to easily spot infiltrators.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So far the Jyhad Diary is actually really good. It's basically a loving tribute to the old metaplots and a roundup of all the old ingredients to form the seed of new metaplot going forward.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I'm afraid to touch it, given that NWW directed a bunch of rewrites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

God drat it now I want to try cooking like the Technocracy, some of those recipes sound good.