Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

RareAcumen posted:

I hope this hasn't been done before.

Growing up going to church potlucks in the deep south in the 80s, i have vague memories of canned pears with miracle whip and shredded cheddar cheese on them. It's definitely been done by old ladies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

big trivia FAIL posted:

Growing up going to church potlucks in the deep south in the 80s, i have vague memories of canned pears with miracle whip and shredded cheddar cheese on them. It's definitely been done by old ladies.

Used to have that with some frequency when I was a kid, yes. You will be unsurprised to discover that I grew up in the midwest.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
As far as I can tell americans will call anything a salad. Except for things they call pizza.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

steinrokkan posted:

It would need some marshmallows to be proper salad.
the south was a mistake

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

the south was a mistake

Yep. Sherman should have set in on fire instead of letting it surrender with dignity (I'm from the South).

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

bongwizzard posted:

I think it is just lighting issues with "wet" or reflective foods. Like look at this, it is the same dish, the pictures taken seconds apart, one just has the flash on and one does not.

The flash one looks greasy as gently caress while the non-flash one looks fine. I think it is possible to make currys/stews/other wet foods look decent, but it is far harder than trying to make other, non wet foods look good.

Yeah, a lot of afp is the camera I think. I have some pictures of pulled pork I made a couple weeks ago that actually don't look like that first picture because I at least tried to light it correctly.

Basebf555 posted:

I think the stroganoff picture looks really good, I mean you can look at the sauce and tell it's a legit sauce not some bullshit.

cash crab posted:

You're right that it looks awful, but if someone put that in front of me I would be delighted.

That stroganoff was good as gently caress, she used real heavy cream and better quality egg noodles. I'm gonna have that for my birthday meal now.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

c/o reddit, before anyone thinks I can't spell 'avocado'

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

what the hell did they do to that avocado

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

The Snoo posted:

It looks like they ate it and then served it. Vomit on a bread. (Not even toast.)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Snoo posted:

It's not an avocado, read the post.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

It's not an avocado, read the post.

You people need to be sure and not skip breckfarst, it's making you slow.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
"Avacordo for breckfarst" wouldn't be the worst thread title.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I support that title change.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
New Henrys Kitchen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRVDY42s47E

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009

PubicMice posted:

more like breckfarce

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
miracle whip on a pear

cash crab posted:

You're right that it looks awful, but if someone put that in front of me I would be delighted.

e:

Bitey Bunny posted:

I like that this was enough of an issue to warrant an entire public facebook group being made. If you do a little investigating, you'll find even more AFP hangin' out in their photo albums. I mean... I like baked beans as much as the next person but :barf:

IT'S BEANTIME

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

bloom posted:

I like how good this thread makes me feel about my own cooking. Every now and then I'll cook something, think "wow this looks like garbage, I should take a pic and post it", only to look at the newest posts and realize that even my drunkest throw poo poo on a pan-cooking looks decent. Guess I'm just not husband material. :gbsmith:

#cookingforbaughhh

PubicMice posted:

this is actually called dortch

Bitey Bunny
May 26, 2009

c h o m p

PubicMice posted:

Avacordo is the sound they made while they were horking that up all over the plate :barf:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

sweeperbravo posted:

IT'S BEANTIME

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I started this thing in grad school where I referred to lunch as beantime because I ate mostly beans all the time and about noon I'd stand up and yell "Hey, what time is it?" and my office mates would start to answer and I'd interrupt them with "IT'S BEANTIME!" and eventually they caught on and stopped playing along except to sigh and go "It's beantime, Henry," or just try to ignore me. I still call lunch beantime so this picture really meant something to me, thanks.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Holy poo poo, where is that from?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I'm sure this was posted before, but I need to post it

https://twitter.com/WeWantPlates/status/756593975767732224

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/CNNMoney/status/895065839870857216

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

I remembered you :tipshat:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Randaconda posted:

Holy poo poo, where is that from?

It's worth clicking back to the post, just to see the weird beanness of that page or so of posts.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

RareAcumen posted:

I hope this hasn't been done before.

My mom used to eat this. She made it for me a few times but I preferred pears with cottage cheese or eaten from the can with my fists like a small naked bear.

She also made baked frozen fish fillets with mayo or Miracle Whip slathered over it a quarter-inch thick. It actually wasn't too bad, baked, with lemon juice and mashed garlic mixed into the topping.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

elise the great posted:

My mom used to eat this. She made it for me a few times but I preferred pears with cottage cheese or eaten from the can with my fists like a small naked bear.

peaches and pears with cottage cheese is fantastic. Pineapple, too. Was at a restaurant one time, ordered some cottage cheese as a side and it came out with a pineapple ring on it, one of my friends freaked out. He'd never even heard of pineapple with cottage cheese, thought it was bizarre and awful.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I have a friend who only eats cottage cheese with a huge drift of black pepper on top. He thinks fruit and cottage cheese sound like a gross combination. I think he must have brain cancer

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Cottage cheese is dope but a lot of people have issues with the texture. Which is sad and i feel bad for them

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The solution is large curd cottage cheese, which is like regular cottage cheese but even more baller.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

elise the great posted:

I have a friend who only eats cottage cheese with a huge drift of black pepper on top. He thinks fruit and cottage cheese sound like a gross combination. I think he must have brain cancer

I do the mountain of pepper thing, but it's also dope on peaches & with pineapple :shrug: (no pepper in those cases)

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010
Cottage cheese is great, I have no idea why it grosses some people out. Sometimes when I want a light meal I'll brown some sliced garlic, toss in some spinach until it's just cooked (sadly can't eat it raw), and place it on top of some cottage cheese.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
http://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a54545/bacon-cannoli-recipe/

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

sweeperbravo posted:

It's worth clicking back to the post, just to see the weird beanness of that page or so of posts.

I started following that beans in things where they ought not be Facebook page today and hoo boy that is a rabbit hole of some weird British poo poo
I knew Bush's was kind of a thing over there but I was not prepared for all that
Speaking of weird beanness

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

elise the great posted:

Ahhhhhh, gently caress, Elise. I have ENOUGH issues WITHOUT brain cancer. Why'd you have to ruin my night?

Oh, I think cottage cheese tastes unappealing and looks like something that would come out of something lanced on one of your patients. Does this mean I am terminal?

Bitey Bunny
May 26, 2009

c h o m p

That "Eat The Trend" thing has got to be the most obnoxious AFP thing imaginable. Half the time, it's just fine... you know, boring poo poo like how to make unicorn-colored ice cream or imitation Starbucks drinks, maybe a recipe for alfredo or something. But usually when it pops up in my Facebook feed, it's like "HOT CHEETOS MIXED WITH PHO, WRAPPED IN A BURRITO, AND DEEP FRIED. SERVED WITH SRIRACHA-WASABI RANCH MAYONNAISE". Or "deep fried ice cream served in a bubble waffle cone with marshmallow sauce, pocky sticks, cotton candy, and the entire thing is dipped in chocolate and frozen"

I'm all for the occasional insane (but delicious) food combination, but drat, when did it become standard to just throw everything together in a trough and eat it that way?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Bitey Bunny posted:

I'm all for the occasional insane (but delicious) food combination, but drat, when did it become standard to just throw everything together in a trough and eat it that way?

Since state fairs came into being.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Samizdata posted:

Oh, I think cottage cheese tastes unappealing and looks like something that would come out of something lanced on one of your patients. Does this mean I am terminal?
If "does it look like a body fluid/something that could ooze out of a wound/etc" is a disqualifying factor, you're not going to have a lot left to eat or drink. Human bodies have a wonderful variety of things bored healthcare workers can compare to food. (ASK ME: About comparing fatty plasma to various percentages of milk)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Haifisch posted:

If "does it look like a body fluid/something that could ooze out of a wound/etc" is a disqualifying factor, you're not going to have a lot left to eat or drink. Human bodies have a wonderful variety of things bored healthcare workers can compare to food. (ASK ME: About comparing fatty plasma to various percentages of milk)

Well, the texture also makes me think of that.

As does the flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

north korea can't nuke us fast enough