Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

pubic works project posted:

Oh thanks for killing Commander Steel too, DC you heartless assholes.

What, you think being bulletproof would help?

Someone pointed out there was someone wearing a Green Lantern costume in that panel too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I had forgotten until just now that Bendis did those talking head interview/confessional pages in his 2010 Avengers and New Avengers series. I actually liked them, but I understand a lot of people found them self-indulgent at the time?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Mr Hootington posted:

citizen steel :flashfact:

oh my bad

edit: it just amuses me to no end that DC was killing it on the comics-front with Rebirth while Marvel was stumbling a bit. Now they just executed the perfect "hold my beer" moment.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I am curious if all the dead heroes are connected because they may have had significant changes happen to them because of Flashpoint/New 52. Wally, Roy, Citizen Steel, and Lagoon Boy all do, but I do not know enough about Blue Jay and Joto/Hot Spot to know if they follow this.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

pubic works project posted:

edit: it just amuses me to no end that DC was killing it on the comics-front with Rebirth while Marvel was stumbling a bit. Now they just executed the perfect "hold my beer" moment.

Idunno, no one of any importance was lost except arguably Arsenal. Wally had already been gone and replaced for like 6 years now. Fans wanted Barry back. Gotta feel bad for Hot Spot, though.

Mr Hootington posted:

I am curious if all the dead heroes are connected because

This seems like more of a strike against the heroes and 'redemption' in general. Especially with the carving on the wall and whoever's making Harley and Booster think the other one did it.

The puddlers remark seems like the big clue. It's a very specific term, one not even Batman is familiar with.

nofather fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 26, 2018

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

nofather posted:

Fans wanted Barry back.
Hahahhaha what? No. No one wanted Barry back.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

Hahahhaha what? No. No one wanted Barry back.

Hey, Geoff Johns is technically a fan

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

Hey, Geoff Johns is technically a fan

Yeah. A fan wanted him back, just it was the one with all the power in the DCU.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017
Was Citizen Steel actually in anything from new 52/Rebirth or did he randomly reappear for this miniseries?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Top Gun posted:

Was Citizen Steel actually in anything from new 52/Rebirth or did he randomly reappear for this miniseries?

IIRC the last time he was seen was in Earth-2.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

At least I got a good laugh today out of someone saying that fans wanted Barry Allen over Wally West.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wait, who said that? I thought the question was "does anyone want Barry Allen back?" Not "would anyone like us to bring Barry back and push Wally completely out of the picture AND THEN erase him from loving existence a few years later only to replace him with an angry teen version but JUST KIDDING the really real Wally is back now and let's just make him a murderer now okay."

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017
I actually liked Barry Allen but I absolutely did not want him back (same with Todd).

The reason Hal jordan was brought back was because they did him nasty in the 90s and DC was tired of getting death threats from hardcore fans all the time. No one was writing in to tell dc to bring back Barry.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Android Blues posted:

Also, for God's sake, someone with a doctorate in psychology wouldn't quote Freud as if it was this great big momentous thing. Like, have you read Freud? He's frequently ridiculous and almost entirely irrelevant to any modern psychoanalytic theory or treatment strategy. Quoting him doesn't read as a smart reference to Harley's academic credentials, it makes her look like a poser who doesn't know her own doctoral field.

Harley's a psychiatrist, though, and you know how they are.

Seriously though, training in psychoanalytic and psychodynamic therapies still includes a lot of Freud, if only as background/history. Not where I expected to be discussing this but I guess it fits with all the dicks lately.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Wait, who said that? I thought the question was "does anyone want Barry Allen back?" Not "would anyone like us to bring Barry back and push Wally completely out of the picture AND THEN erase him from loving existence a few years later only to replace him with an angry teen version but JUST KIDDING the really real Wally is back now and let's just make him a murderer now okay."

It's a few posts up. Someone said that it was the fans that wanted Barry back. And I laughed. Was a nice joke.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Yeah I mean, I like Barry and all...but I grew up with Wally and I prefer him 100%. I don't want Barry to die...but I'd rather Wally be in the Justice League.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017
Barry should go back to 1985 and sacrifice himself in the Crisis on infinite Earths like he is supposed to. Or baring that just have him go to the future with Iris and retire there

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's the more annoying direction Johns took the flash: bringing Barry back to replace Wally; or turning Impulse into Kid Flash and making him boring?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's the more annoying direction Johns took the flash: bringing Barry back to replace Wally; or turning Impulse into Kid Flash and making him boring?

Bringing back Barry and having him accomplish what extant, crazed Hal Jordan, superboy-prime and Alex luther couldn't so he could save his mom.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 26, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Why is it so hard for DC to comic properly?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Top Gun posted:

Barry should go back to 1985 and sacrifice himself in the Crisis on infinite Earths like he is supposed to. Or baring that just have him go to the future with Iris and retire there

Totally down for that since it's supposed to happen anyways. Tornado Twins gotta come from somewhere.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I actually didn't mind Impulse becoming Kid Flash, so I'm going with Barry replacing Wally. It's a real annoyance to me because I absolutely love Johns' run with Wally.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Why is it so hard for DC to comic properly?

They were doing well for awhile.

E&C has the sales numbers memorized so he could tell us if it is driven by falling numbers.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Top Gun posted:

The Crisis on Infinite Earths was retconned as never happening now.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Still enjoying Bendis' Action Comics. Not much happened this issue, but I love the focus on the Daily Planet.

Also, Yanick Paquette ain't a bad fill-in.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Honestly I'd say the biggest change that has happened at DC since Rebirth is that all of the set-up for Rebirth was done in tight collaboration/"showrunning" with Geoff Johns (and from what I can infer a lot of Pat McCallum) and in the past two years Johns has stepped down from his Chief Creative Officer role (and I have no idea what Pat McCallum is doing because he never does interviews or anything) but it's been pretty evident reading between the lines of the actual comics and people talking and etc. that whatever roadmap that was supposed to build to Doomsday Clock that Johns put together in 2015 has

a) been repeatedly delayed and changed in ways that made a lot of creators not named Geoff Johns particularly happy
b) is sort of getting thrown out in favor of ideas that Bendis, King, etc. are pitching

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017
I feel like Johns has been sidelined in favor of Snyder which sucks because Snyder has loving awful story ideas

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Top Gun posted:

I feel like Johns has been sidelined in favor of Snyder which sucks because Snyder has loving awful story ideas

Going to go to boot for Snyder here, at least he isn't trying to bring back his fave bronze age hero at the expense of character growth of any new character.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Top Gun posted:

Snyder has some stinkers but overall I think he's had more hits than misses

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Bleeding Cool is reporting that Norm Breyfogle died on Monday

:(

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

drat. I have his Batman collection. Time to dig in.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Harley's a psychiatrist, though, and you know how they are.

Seriously though, training in psychoanalytic and psychodynamic therapies still includes a lot of Freud, if only as background/history. Not where I expected to be discussing this but I guess it fits with all the dicks lately.

The backstory around Harley's schooling is kind of a mess because canonically I'm pretty sure her doctorate is in psychology, but she worked as a psychiatrist at Arkham, which...you know, she wouldn't have been qualified for that. Which I guess might explain a lot? But also doesn't seem to be what the writing around her has historically been going for.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
In the Injustice series it's implied she has a medical degree.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Madkal posted:

Going to go to boot for Snyder here, at least he isn't trying to bring back his fave bronze age hero at the expense of character growth of any new character.

The first thing Snyder did in justice League was recycle super friends concepts and bring back 80s starman so I dunno if he’s too far off

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Top Gun posted:

I actually liked Barry Allen but I absolutely did not want him back (same with Todd).

The reason Hal jordan was brought back was because they did him nasty in the 90s and DC was tired of getting death threats from hardcore fans all the time. No one was writing in to tell dc to bring back Barry.

Kill Barry fire Hal's corpse back into the Sun and make him Spectre again. Kyle all day errday, gimme my mecha generating Gen X GL. :colbert:

Also it sounds like I dodged another "Identity Crisis" bullet with Heroes in Crisis. Though I doubt we are going to get more sock puppets and goofy guess avatars this time around. :smith:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm still into Doomsday Clock. I laughed when Jon ported them in front of the screen in a movie theatre just to illustrate a point he was making and freaked out the audience.

Edit: I read that on the bus in to work today and someone must have been watching cause I heard some conversation about crossovers and the major death in Heroes In Crisis behind me. It was amazing hearing randos talk about brand new comics news (or any sort of comics news.)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 27, 2018

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Ah, I was avoiding spoilers so I see you guys already talked about it last night.

Suffice to say I'm quite sad about this turn of events. I know it's probably a fake out but I thought this was going to be the only place for me to read about Wally for awhile until HiC was done, and now he's just another in a giant list of corpses for other characters to react to. So I guess another 9 months of misery for me, thanks Didio and King. Not buying anymore of this, I feel like I would just be a constant source of negativity and anger if I continued to read about it and comment on it here. :smith:

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 27, 2018

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Ah, I was avoiding spoilers so I see you guys already talked about it last night.

Suffice to say I'm quite sad about this turn of events. I know it's probably a fake out but I thought this was going to be the only place for me to read about Wally for awhile until HiC was done, and now he's just another in a giant list of corpses for other characters to react to. So I guess another 9 months of misery for me, thanks Didio and King. Not buying anymore of this, I feel like I was just be a constant source of negativity and anger if I continued to read about it and comment on it here. :smith:

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Well I just don't want to fiscally support this nonsense at this point. Maybe later reviews will change my mind but I shouldn't feel so dejected and sad over a stupid comic book like I do this one.

It's like all the goodwill and happiness I had from The Rebirth special has inverted. Sad tears instead of happy, I guess.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Any intended shock in what happened is essentially muted to nothing since we never really got attached to Sanctuary and its denizens so even with the deaths of relatively major characters, it's almost totally disconnected from everything else. HiC may as well be not canon with how not built up it was before it got wrecked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Xelkelvos posted:

Any intended shock in what happened is essentially muted to nothing since we never really got attached to Sanctuary and its denizens so even with the deaths of relatively major characters, it's almost totally disconnected from everything else. HiC may as well be not canon with how not built up it was before it got wrecked.

Yeah, we've had mentions of Sanctuary before, but we've never seen it. Never spent any time here.