Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe
I can't believe I thought it'd work on the first try.

After setting up my new machine, turning it on just gives power for a second while the fans turn on then clicks off.

Mostly just venting before I delve in to troubleshoot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Saw a pretty good deal on RAM on craigslist, outside of the usual mugging/DOA parts, are there any possible downsides to putting a stranger's computer parts in mine?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

chaleski posted:

Saw a pretty good deal on RAM on craigslist, outside of the usual mugging/DOA parts, are there any possible downsides to putting a stranger's computer parts in mine?

No, but if there's no option/window for return offered, I'd be really leery and ask the seller to send you at least a phone-taken screenshot showing that the RAM has passed *at least* the default two cycles of the built-in Windows Memory Diagnostic. It's not as comprehensive as the "memtest" diagnostics, but if something's wrong, it'll say "something's wrong."

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

No, but if there's no option/window for return offered, I'd be really leery and ask the seller to send you at least a phone-taken screenshot showing that the RAM has passed *at least* the default two cycles of the built-in Windows Memory Diagnostic. It's not as comprehensive as the "memtest" diagnostics, but if something's wrong, it'll say "something's wrong."

They offered that in the the ad so that's a relief, I think I'll bite the bullet. Thanks!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

chaleski posted:

They offered that in the the ad so that's a relief, I think I'll bite the bullet. Thanks!

You might also ask them if they could provide you with a copy/printout of the original purchase invoice (with their address/CC info blacked out, obviously). Most RAM sold in the past decade-plus has had a lifetime warranty - I don't know if any companies have *transferable* warranties on RAM, but if you ever *did* have to make use of the warranty, it'd be nice to have some documentation rather than have to explain to the company's RMA department that you bought it second-hand from the original owner. If anything, that'd be the only reason I'd advise *against* buying RAM second-hand - the fact that it's usually one of the most universally-covered no-questions-asked components in your PC. If/when it fails, it's really easy to figure out that it's the failing component, thanks to the extensive and readily-available industry-standard diagnostic tools out there.

Also, who's the *maker* of this mystery RAM?

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, who's the *maker* of this mystery RAM?

CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

chaleski posted:

CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory

I just looked it up - Corsair does NOT offer transferrable warranties, so if the RAM goes bad, you're SOL unless you negotiate an agreement with the seller than he'll send the faulty modules back *for* you (so long as you pay postage).

Is his price significantly better than this? https://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-240-Pin-Desktop-Memory-F3-2133C11D-16GAR/dp/B00IT8PSUW

Or this? https://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-Ripjaws-240-Pin-Desktop-F3-2133C11D-16GXL/dp/B00IYUCFFQ

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Are there NUC style kits for the 2200G or 2400G?

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I just looked it up - Corsair does NOT offer transferrable warranties, so if the RAM goes bad, you're SOL unless you negotiate an agreement with the seller than he'll send the faulty modules back *for* you (so long as you pay postage).

Is his price significantly better than this? https://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-240-Pin-Desktop-Memory-F3-2133C11D-16GAR/dp/B00IT8PSUW

Or this? https://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-Ripjaws-240-Pin-Desktop-F3-2133C11D-16GXL/dp/B00IYUCFFQ

They want $100 for it and they sent a picture of the diagnostic, which looks OK.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

chaleski posted:

They want $100 for it and they sent a picture of the diagnostic, which looks OK.

Yeah, but is $50 worth having potentially 5-7 year old *overclocked* RAM that isn't covered by a warranty? Is $50 really going to break you? =/

If the guy offers you a gmail address and says he'll handle his end of the RMA process if anything should go wrong, then I'd be more confident in saying to go through with it. But the logical side of me is saying "pony up the extra $50 and buy new from Amazon."

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Anecdotally I've had a couple of bluescreens in the last month. Memtest showed one of my DIMMs is bad after 5 years. I just shipped it to ADATA for lifetime warranty replacement. It cost me $8 to ship it and I don't have the replacement back yet, but as long as it does come back I'll be glad I don't have to buy more RAM. I don't think that RAM going bad is normal but it can happen.

If the RAM that guy was selling was bad right now he'd also be doing a warranty replacement. It's more likely he doesn't want it because it's 2133 and that's pretty slow/old at this point. I've seen a lot of deals on new 2133 and 2400 speed DDR4 recently.

Shitpost Malone
Apr 17, 2018
Its been a few years since Ive had a decent gaming computer and Ive decided to treat myself. Ive done a little bit of research and came up with this list. Is it optimal? Im not sure if I want to play with overclocking, it kind of scares me. I have around $2500 to play with and I need a new monitor.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MqVK4q

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

For $150 in Canuckbucks, I think you're looking at a Raspberry Pi for the emulators and a Roku or Apple/Fire TV for the 4K videos. Even then you'll probably overshoot your budget.

Ok let me rephrase the question. Im seeing NUC/mini computers for around 150 CAD. Most have 1.9ish GHz processors, 2GB of RAM, and 32GB hard drives. Do you think this will be enough to play 4K videos and run emulators for the kids?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Shitpost Malone posted:

It’s been a few years since I’ve had a decent gaming computer and I’ve decided to treat myself. I’ve done a little bit of research and came up with this list. Is it optimal? I’m not sure if I want to play with overclocking, it kind of scares me. I have around $2500 to play with and I need a new monitor.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MqVK4q

Your case doesnt have a 5 and 1/2 inch drive bay for that dvd rom. Other than that it looks great!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So my eventual goal is to get a Vega 56. I'm researching it a lot and got a couple warnings about power spikes but also I learned about making sure the pins you get on the GPU and PSU are compatible or whatnot.

I dunno if every model of the same card has the same number of pins but MSI's site for Vega 56 says it has 8-pin x 2. This is the power supply I was looking at:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kz7CmG/evga-power-supply-210gq0650

Should I get a different one or do I have to factor additional cables into my budget?

Shitpost Malone
Apr 17, 2018

SalTheBard posted:

Your case doesnt have a 5 and 1/2 inch drive bay for that dvd rom. Other than that it looks great!

Doh! I knew I was missing something. Ill probably just end up getting an external dvd so the wife can make her monthly Smilebox or whatever its called picture montage for the family. Do you see any reason to bump the cpu up to the i7 8700k?

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

BIG HEADLINE posted:

For $150 in Canuckbucks, I think you're looking at a Raspberry Pi for the emulators and a Roku or Apple/Fire TV for the 4K videos. Even then you'll probably overshoot your budget.

Agreed, even a dinky box is going to have hard time decoding 4k video. Emulators up to PSX work just fine on most $200 netbooks or refurbished boxes... PS2 or Wii[U] emulation requires a decent video card which blows your budget outright.

edit, 2gb ram isn't enough for 4k, you should be aiming for 4gb and quad core cpu at the minimum, ideally with a dedicated video card rather than whatever ghetto intel chip it has.

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 19, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

So my eventual goal is to get a Vega 56. I'm researching it a lot and got a couple warnings about power spikes but also I learned about making sure the pins you get on the GPU and PSU are compatible or whatnot.

I dunno if every model of the same card has the same number of pins but MSI's site for Vega 56 says it has 8-pin x 2. This is the power supply I was looking at:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kz7CmG/evga-power-supply-210gq0650

Should I get a different one or do I have to factor additional cables into my budget?

This is the most recent thread-recommended PSU - it's new, it's not too big, has tons of connectors, and carries a ten year warranty: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151186

It also has the virtue of being commonly discounted. The 550W has been as low as ~$35-45 after rebate, but usually around $50-60 after rebate.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This is the most recent thread-recommended PSU - it's new, it's not too big, has tons of connectors, and carries a ten year warranty: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151186

It also has the virtue of being commonly discounted. The 550W has been as low as ~$35-45 after rebate, but usually around $50-60 after rebate.

Fair enough. Thanks. Can i go with the Semi Modular version and save $10?

edit:
I'm guessing the "2 x PCIe (8/6 pins) - modular" on the PSU specification is referring to how I plug in my GPU? This works then. Thanks again.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 19, 2018

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Shitpost Malone posted:

Doh! I knew I was missing something. Ill probably just end up getting an external dvd so the wife can make her monthly Smilebox or whatever its called picture montage for the family. Do you see any reason to bump the cpu up to the i7 8700k?

I believe the Enthoo Pro M does have one 5.25" bay available. On the regular huge Enthoo Pro the top bay has the USB and front panel audio behind it, but they moved it to the left side of the case for the M model. It's mentioned that it has that bay available in the Amazon Q&A section. I'd get the 8700K if I was building now and the extra $100 wasn't a big deal towards my overall price. Hyperthreading is only useful for highly parallel tasks but we've seen more games take advantage of that in the last few years and I expect that trend to continue.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

Shitpost Malone posted:

It actually does - it's just difficult to see in the pictures. You can see it in the manual art, and there's a removable optical drive bracket behind the slot:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Fair enough. Thanks. Can i go with the Semi Modular version and save $10?

But my initial question remains. Will this work with the graphics cards I buy or do I need to factor in more purchases?

Sure - to my knowledge the only difference between them is the full vs. semi modularity, even though a fully-modular PSU is amazing.

And Tom's Hardware has the Vega 56 listed at an absolute peak power usage of 376.4W. You're hard-pressed these days to have the rest of your system break ~80-150W. So take an average of that at 115W and add the ~absolute max~ power draw of a Vega56 at 375W (rounded down), and you're still only at 490W, meaning you'd have an overhead of 160W, which is enough to factor in loss of efficiency over time.

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm guessing the "2 x PCIe (8/6 pins) - modular" on the PSU specification is referring to how I plug in my GPU? This works then. Thanks again.

Yes, the connectors are 6/8 pin - meaning that there's a six-pin connector with a little two-pin 'tail' connected alongside that's attachable/detachable as-needed. Fair warning, it can be a pain to get the connectors to mesh together once they've been separated.

Also, without looking specifically *at* the connectors for the PSU, you want to make sure that you're connecting the PCIe power connectors to their *own* PCIe ports on the PSU.

And lastly, I just decided to check the differences between the Focus and Focus Plus...not only is modularity the key difference, but you lose three years' worth of warranty as well, which to me is worth the extra :10bux:.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 19, 2018

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Sure - to my knowledge the only difference between them is the full vs. semi modularity, even though a fully-modular PSU is amazing.

And Tom's Hardware has the Vega 56 listed at an absolute peak power usage of 376.4W. You're hard-pressed these days to have the rest of your system break ~80-150W. So take an average of that at 115W and add the ~absolute max~ power draw of a Vega56 at 375W (rounded down), and you're still only at 490W, meaning you'd have an overhead of 160W, which is enough to factor in loss of efficiency over time.

Yes, the connectors are 6/8 pin - meaning that there's a six-pin connector with a little two-pin 'tail' connected alongside that's attachable/detachable as-needed. Fair warning, it can be a pain to get the connectors to mesh together once they've been separated.

Also, without looking specifically *at* the connectors for the PSU, you want to make sure that you're connecting the PCIe power connectors to their *own* PCIe ports on the PSU.

And lastly, I just decided to check the differences between the Focus and Focus Plus...not only is modularity the key difference, but you lose three years' worth of warranty as well, which to me is worth the extra :10bux:.

Fair enough then. Ten years warranty is pretty loving awesome, I won't lie. I'm super hyped for my first ever computer but I'm sure it will be an outdated paperweight in no time. Hopefully I can keep as many parts from this as possible so when I upgrade to a new CPU or GPU, that's all I'll really need.

Maybe more RAM too, I guess. Somebody elsewhere told me to get 32GB right now to futureproof myself against the next generation of video games. He's the only person who has recommended me that though so...I'm gonna save that for later.

Thanks again! Really appreciate it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Fair enough then. Ten years warranty is pretty loving awesome, I won't lie. I'm super hyped for my first ever computer but I'm sure it will be an outdated paperweight in no time. Hopefully I can keep as many parts from this as possible so when I upgrade to a new CPU or GPU, that's all I'll really need.

Maybe more RAM too, I guess. Somebody elsewhere told me to get 32GB right now to futureproof myself against the next generation of video games. He's the only person who has recommended me that though so...I'm gonna save that for later.

Thanks again! Really appreciate it.

I don't agree with the 32GB recommendation. 2-3 years ago, when you could pick up a 2x16GB DDR4-3000 kit for ~$200-225, sure, why not. But the only people who should concern themselves with 32GB of system memory are those who work with applications that heavily page to memory, or people who are keen on setting up a RAMDisk for said applications. The only way I've ever managed to top out 16GB is when I've stupidly left my browser open in the background when starting a full screen graphically-intensive game. RAM has become one of those compromise points - you can have 32GB of RAM, but you're going to have to compromise on your CPU, motherboard, and/or GPU choice, and so on and so forth.

High-density RAM kits like 2x16 carry a price premium as well, since those high-density chips are less common and also used in phone construction. And running 4x8 is cheaper, but you've just doubled the chance of a really bad day if/when one stick fails, and you're stuck playing "find the bad stick." And that game suuuucks.

If I was building a PC tomorrow, I would be going with a 2x8 kit. There's just nothing I see on the horizon that leads me to believe gaming will even *recommend* 32GB in the next ~5 years, simply because I can't imagine a *console* ever packing that much memory, unless Intel or Samsung really has a breakthrough with Optane/ZNAND (new storage architectures) respectively and changing how we 'see' RAM.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

Slayerjerman posted:

Agreed, even a dinky box is going to have hard time decoding 4k video. Emulators up to PSX work just fine on most $200 netbooks or refurbished boxes... PS2 or Wii[U] emulation requires a decent video card which blows your budget outright.

edit, 2gb ram isn't enough for 4k, you should be aiming for 4gb and quad core cpu at the minimum, ideally with a dedicated video card rather than whatever ghetto intel chip it has.

Alright, I guess Ill keep saving and get something with more guts. Thanks for the advice folks.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Wanna make sure I'm not doing anything particularly stupid with this build.

Also, when comparing this to the Microcenter pre-builts that get recommended pretty often in here- the G429 and the G351- how much of a difference am I looking at performance-wise? Is shelling out the extra $150-$250 for the 1080 going to make a noticeable difference in playing stuff(PUBG, Sea of Thieves) at 1080p?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

That's about as high end a consumer rig as can be built, it's overkill for 1080p unless you're seeking super high framerates. Even a 1060 will do for 1080p, but if you got the dosh there's nothing wrong with that build, just maybe look into a better monitor or VR.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Just got my Evga 970 RMA'd and got a 1060 6gb as a replacement. I dont think im gonna be buying from any other company for a while, because evga's warranty and replacement is amazing.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

ItBreathes posted:

That's about as high end a consumer rig as can be built, it's overkill for 1080p unless you're seeking super high framerates. Even a 1060 will do for 1080p, but if you got the dosh there's nothing wrong with that build, just maybe look into a better monitor or VR.

Yeah, the monitor upgrade is coming later on down the line- hopefully this summer.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Veritek83 posted:

Yeah, the monitor upgrade is coming later on down the line- hopefully this summer.

Are you doing 4K or 1440p?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Stickman posted:

Are you doing 4K or 1440p?

This is a good question and one that I'm not sure I have the answer to. If I'm going with my build, does that put me in a position to do 4K reasonably? That would mean dropping like $1K+ on a new monitor right? Whereas 1440p would be like half that cost for a new monitor and I'd definitely be getting good performance out of the build I posted, right?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Veritek83 posted:

This is a good question and one that I'm not sure I have the answer to. If I'm going with my build, does that put me in a position to do 4K reasonably? That would mean dropping like $1K+ on a new monitor right? Whereas 1440p would be like half that cost for a new monitor and I'd definitely be getting good performance out of the build I posted, right?

A 1080 would be passable at 4k, but you'd be in a spot where you'd need to optimize settings for 60+ fps, depending on the game. If you're considering a $1000 4k monitor, I'd get a 1080 TI, assuming you can find it at as close to MSRP as that 1080 is.

And yes, your performance at 1440p will be plenty reliable at max settings with the posted build. I use a 1080 and 1440p monitor, and it does 80ish FPS in FO4 modded to the gills, including ENB. Unigen Heaven max settings @1440p sticks at 100 fps.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
So I've been downsizing my stuff and I came across the following:

Asus M4A88T-M LE
    Asus K8V SE Deluxe
    AMD Athlon X3 450
    AMD Athlon 64 Newcastle
    MSI GeForce 650 Ti
    XFX HD 4850 625M

All of these parts are old, but I'm thinking that I could find a mATX case, PSU, and maybe a 1TB+ SATA HDD to go with the M4A88T-M LE and the X3 450 for a HTPC then recycle/Craigslist the rest. I could see if one of these GPUs are compatible so that'd definitely help with videos since 4k transcoding would be too rough on the CPU. If that's not realistic, then I suppose it'd work fine as a firewall or whatever. So what I want to know is whether if it'd be worth it?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Need your help dudes. I assembled an amazing PC thanks to you guys, but now I'm moving to Australia and I'm going to sell it to a friend. Any idea what a reasonable second hand price is for all this?

ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1080 Ti DirectX 12 STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card
INTEL CORE I7-7700K Processor 8M Cache 4 Cores 4.2GHZ Up to 4.5GHZ
ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code LGA1151 Kaby Lake DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 WiFi USB 3.1 Z270 ATX Motherboard
Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H110I 280MM CPU Cooler
Corsair Vengeance Lpx 32GB 4x8GB DDR4-2666MHZ C16 1.2V Memory Kit
Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM008 7200RPM 3TB
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB M.2 SATA3 (3.16" X 0.87" X 0.06") Solid State Drive
Corsair RM850X 850W Power Supply ATX12V V2.31 80+ Gold Modular Zero RPM Fan Mode
Corsair Carbide Clear 400C ATX Mid Tower Case

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

I purchased a new videocard yesterday and I've run into a hiccup installing it. My current mobo is a Lenovo, which requires a 14 pin out from the PSU as well as a 4 pin out. My new card requires a 6 pin out, which my PSU does not have.

I do have another PSU. It's an aftermarket one that has a 20 pin out, multiple 4's and 6's. I called around locally and I was told that Lenovo's 14 pin out is proprietary and my best bet is to ebay a 14 pin to 20 pin converter.

My question is this: is it possible to get this working temporarily by having the Lenovo PSU connected to the 14 and the 4 pin on the mobo, and then connecting the aftermarket PSU to the 6 pin on the videocard?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Need your help dudes. I assembled an amazing PC thanks to you guys, but now I'm moving to Australia and I'm going to sell it to a friend. Any idea what a reasonable second hand price is for all this?

ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1080 Ti DirectX 12 STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card
INTEL® CORE I7-7700K Processor 8M Cache 4 Cores 4.2GHZ Up to 4.5GHZ
ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code LGA1151 Kaby Lake DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 WiFi USB 3.1 Z270 ATX Motherboard
Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H110I 280MM CPU Cooler
Corsair Vengeance Lpx 32GB 4x8GB DDR4-2666MHZ C16 1.2V Memory Kit
Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM008 7200RPM 3TB
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB M.2 SATA3 (3.16" X 0.87" X 0.06") Solid State Drive
Corsair RM850X 850W Power Supply ATX12V V2.31 80+ Gold Modular Zero RPM Fan Mode
Corsair Carbide Clear 400C ATX Mid Tower Case

The ram and video card are probably worth more now than when you bought them. I'd plug it into pcpartpicker and just see how much of a deal you're willing to give your friend.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Crash_N_Burn posted:

I purchased a new videocard yesterday and I've run into a hiccup installing it. My current mobo is a Lenovo, which requires a 14 pin out from the PSU as well as a 4 pin out. My new card requires a 6 pin out, which my PSU does not have.

I do have another PSU. It's an aftermarket one that has a 20 pin out, multiple 4's and 6's. I called around locally and I was told that Lenovo's 14 pin out is proprietary and my best bet is to ebay a 14 pin to 20 pin converter.

My question is this: is it possible to get this working temporarily by having the Lenovo PSU connected to the 14 and the 4 pin on the mobo, and then connecting the aftermarket PSU to the 6 pin on the videocard?

What model is your Lenovo (and psu model)? It sounds like make of the Lenovo psu have a 6-pin connector, but it might be tucked away in a corner of the case:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkStation-Workstations/Thinkstation-P500-PCI-E-Quadro-power-connection/m-p/1850512/highlight/true#M6996

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Veritek83 posted:

Wanna make sure I'm not doing anything particularly stupid with this build.

Also, when comparing this to the Microcenter pre-builts that get recommended pretty often in here- the G429 and the G351- how much of a difference am I looking at performance-wise? Is shelling out the extra $150-$250 for the 1080 going to make a noticeable difference in playing stuff(PUBG, Sea of Thieves) at 1080p?

You might also want to spend an extra $15 for a 2tb WD blue. Games are only getting bigger and 1.5tb will fill up pretty fast unless you have much much better cleaning habits than me.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

ItBreathes posted:

The ram and video card are probably worth more now than when you bought them. I'd plug it into pcpartpicker and just see how much of a deal you're willing to give your friend.

I've never sold a PC before. Usually just had lovely best buy laptops that were worthless after I was done with them. Is there some sort of "understood" depreciation with this stuff, like how cars plummet by 50% the second they're off the lot? Or does being second hand not matter at all?

Everything's in great condition, one year old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I've never sold a PC before. Usually just had lovely best buy laptops that were worthless after I was done with them. Is there some sort of "understood" depreciation with this stuff, like how cars plummet by 50% the second they're off the lot? Or does being second hand not matter at all?

Everything's in great condition, one year old.

Nah, people who built PCs with lots of RAM / nice GPUs within the last 2 years have been able to sell them for more money than they cost new.