Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Is is our MMR going to be based on Match wins then? Does that mean everyone will be hovering around 45-55 unless they 6-man non-stop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

i have literally never played on battle.net before and pubbies in this game are uniquely trash. can i play with goons here?? i'm dorkasaurus#11797 i'm a p decent pharah tho

goons are not guaranteed to be better than pubbies

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Yesterday I had an epiphany that sent my Mercy win % up by over 10 percent (to almost even....... :( )

All I did was send her to the school of Kobe Bryant. That is, I find I win way more matches with Mercy if, instead of assisting my teammates, I am remorselessly gunning. (I'll still take the heal or damage-boost assist, but gently caress it, I aim better than you, lovely teammate, so I'll just gold or silver medal in kills anyhow)

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Elentor posted:

Completed the matches. 9 wins, 1 loss thanks to a DC. Got "58", whatever that means.

What do these numbers mean exactly? People told me it's not Elo, is it like Hearthstone where you need to get to a certain rank before it shows your ladder position?
Does it go up (where 59 would be better) or down?

Edit: Oh found it here. Apparently 50 is meant to be the average and it goes 1 to 100.

For reference, seagull was hovering between 73-75 at the end of the PTR.

Thor-Stryker posted:

Is is our MMR going to be based on Match wins then? Does that mean everyone will be hovering around 45-55 unless they 6-man non-stop?

When you lose it goes down, and when you win it goes up. So it does seem like it would normalize to just being another expression of win rate.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 29, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

goons are pubbies because they're playing in pubs

it just feels better to blame other people when you lose

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Papercut posted:

For reference, seagull was hovering between 73-75 at the end of the PTR.

Thanks, that's useful. It's nice to have a guideline. I imagine numbers will inflate now that the pool is bigger.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is skill rating determined by your match record or other stuff? I feel like I had maybe one genuinely good match and the rest were one-sided stomps either way, usually owing to Career Genji or Career Reinhardt Even on Koth or opponents teams having leavers or just being bad -- stuff like that.

It feels like unless/until you weed out the dipshits, your individual control over your own destiny is pretty drat limited.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I love people complaining about me going torb. Wait no that's not right. I did my placements lost three got 54 yay me.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 29, 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Help me goons, I have 1070 gold and am trying to choose between Symmetra's Vishkar or Architect legendaries.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It feels like unless/until you weed out the dipshits, your individual control over your own destiny is pretty drat limited.

Welcome to the wonderful world of team based competitive video games!

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Welcome to the wonderful world of team based competitive video games!

Okay but tell me that when placement matches are done, those dummies are gonna be segregated in the Bads Dungeon where they belong and fewer of my games will be coinflips of "which side got the idiot"

I didn't feel like we really earned any of our wins OR losses.

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008
I feel like the Hanzo and Genji mains have migrated to competitive in higher numbers than everyone else. Played a bunch of pleasant quick games, with at least one support and a tank on each team, but usually 3-4 of them combined. Was loads of fun.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is skill rating determined by your match record or other stuff? I feel like I had maybe one genuinely good match and the rest were one-sided stomps either way, usually owing to Career Genji or Career Reinhardt Even on Koth or opponents teams having leavers or just being bad -- stuff like that.

Some wins are less valuable than others; some losses are more punishing than others. The exact mechanics of how the game determines this is unknown, but basically "better team wins less/loses more; worse team wins more/loses less."

I wouldn't suggest playing Competitive outside of a 6 stack for at least a few days, just so that people will learn that leaving in Competitive Mode is a bad idea.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Okay but tell me that when placement matches are done, those dummies are gonna be segregated in the Bads Dungeon where they belong and fewer of my games will be coinflips of "which side got the idiot"

lol this guy

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Lie to me, fucker.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Lie to me, fucker.

ELO Hell is real and you are not at fault for any of your losses; also, you will magically find yourself in ELO Heaven upon placing.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Thor-Stryker posted:

It's affected by wins/losses, but weighted by factors like the skill of your teammates/opponents, your own performance within the match, and a lot of other under-the-hood metrics.

So in theory, you can have exactly a 50% winrate and still have a skill rating that's very high or very low. It depends on the skill of the opponents and teammates you've been having that winrate with.

All that said, skill rating doesn't seem very accurate right now-- all of my matches after I got out of placement have been victorious stomps, even though the teams are displayed as having comparable ratings (this is not me trying to say my rating is too low, there was a clear imbalance on a team-wide level). Hopefully over time the system will tune itself.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 29, 2016

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Reaper chat was awhile ago, but I wanted to ask a question. A couple posters suggested that Mei gets countered by Reaper, but she wrecks me conclusively as Reaper, and he's definitely the guy I have the most experience with.

Even if I get right up behind her and open up, she still beats me as soon as she turns around and starts slowing me, so I can't keep my guns on her, forcing me to wraith form away or die to an icicle to the brain. If it ever goes well for me, say cuz I got two shots off before she noticed, she ice blocks, and then she murders me after she heals should I happen to stick around. I don't go after Mei anymore - I kill her squishy buddies and hope she doesn't notice me. Am I just terrible or is there something I'm missing here?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Solo queuing placement matches is a form of self harm.

on the other hand I do like how it automatically leaves and joins a new game after a complete match, I wish normal play did that too

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

vorebane posted:

Reaper chat was awhile ago, but I wanted to ask a question. A couple posters suggested that Mei gets countered by Reaper, but she wrecks me conclusively as Reaper, and he's definitely the guy I have the most experience with.

Even if I get right up behind her and open up, she still beats me as soon as she turns around and starts slowing me, so I can't keep my guns on her, forcing me to wraith form away or die to an icicle to the brain. If it ever goes well for me, say cuz I got two shots off before she noticed, she ice blocks, and then she murders me after she heals should I happen to stick around. I don't go after Mei anymore - I kill her squishy buddies and hope she doesn't notice me. Am I just terrible or is there something I'm missing here?

You're probably not getting the timing right. You'll want to wraith at the last possible second, and score as many solid meatshots as you can. You'll want her to ice block, because once she does she's basically over, as you can get right in her face and headshot her as soon as she comes out.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Reaper: Don't get jumped. Jump dudes.

If you get jumped, you'd be surprised how fast you die. Unless you get jumped by, like, Winston or some poo poo.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Looked around and couldn't find any info, but I don't suppose competitive points will transfer between seasons? In two months I doubt I have the time to get 300 wins at 50% win rate. I know you get an unspecified lump sum of points based on your rank but it could be literally any amount at this point.

If I'm honest all I want is to be able to buy one golden gun, couldn't care less about my rank.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

vorebane posted:

your invulnerability tool is like infinitely better than hers but she shouldn't really be a priority target if you're on a flank mission - that should always be the mercy and/or lucio

if you run into her alone make sure you have an alternate path for ice wall if you need to escape. make sure you are getting good bodyshots if not headshots onto her - you should only lose if you don't control the terms of engagement and damage exchange

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Yeah, the placement matches experience for me has been pretty bad. Sample size is small, but i've played 5 so far, all solo with no group, and this is what it looks like:

4 play of the matches going to myself
16 Medals, 8 gold
4 games with at least 1 troll pick
Only 1 game where 3 or more other people had a mic
Only 2 games won, both were somewhat close games whereas the loses were all complete stomps

Very few people play cooperatively and just pick bad heroes and or solo rush objectives even if you chat to them or voice to them to wait. Eventually, these players will be weeded out of the system works as it should, but it is a frustrating experience nonethelesss.

I was Mercy in the game where I didn't get potg :bigtran:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Shoot more mans. A Mercy double kill followed by a double-res is generally PotG.

.....maybe not listen to my advice on characters outside of Lucio or Zarya.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Chewbot posted:

Looked around and couldn't find any info, but I don't suppose competitive points will transfer between seasons? In two months I doubt I have the time to get 300 wins at 50% win rate. I know you get an unspecified lump sum of points based on your rank but it could be literally any amount at this point.

If I'm honest all I want is to be able to buy one golden gun, couldn't care less about my rank.

The wording on the website suggests they vanish when the season ends. I think they want the rewards to commemorate the specific season they were earned in, not just comp play in general.

300 victories in 2.5 months is only about 4 wins a day, so it should be possible for anyone to get a gold weapon just by playing casually on a regular basis.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

vorebane posted:

reaper can technically kill a mei in two hits assuming you're hitting most of the pellets on both (his shotguns fire 20 pellets that deal 7 damage before falloff for a maximum of 140 damage, not including the headshot multiplier) but generally speaking it'll probably take more like four. reaper puts out damage faster than she can freeze people so you basically just shoot her to force the heal, then kill her when she pops out

if you're a bad shot then just shoot her until you're about to freeze, pop the wraith form and then shoot her again. she'll either be dead or you'll force out her heal and that'll give you time to get away. if you force her to freeze herself before you need to wraith, congrats because you win

e: this should probably be obvious, but don't even bother fighting mei if you're not right in her face. her alt fire is deceptively strong and you won't win that damage race

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 29, 2016

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's affected by wins/losses, but weighted by factors like the skill of your teammates/opponents, your own performance within the match, and a lot of other under-the-hood metrics.

So in theory, you can have exactly a 50% winrate and still have a skill rating that's very high or very low. It depends on the skill of the opponents and teammates you've been having that winrate with.

All that said, skill rating doesn't seem very accurate right now-- all of my matches after I got out of placement have been victorious stomps, even though the teams are displayed as having comparable ratings (this is not me trying to say my rating is too low, there was a clear imbalance on a team-wide level). Hopefully over time the system will tune itself.

Competitive has only been live in the main game for, what, four hours? It should be expected that the matchmaking system doesn't yet have an accurate picture of everyone's skill yet.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Thank you guys. Maybe I am opening fire too soon here, I will try for headshots as well, I thought for some reason they didn't apply to shotguns.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
How are comp matches different from quick play? When is it safe to leave them?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I went 5/5 wins/losses and got parked at Rank 54. I played some good games but the games I lost were total and complete steamrolls.

This game is very fun but when your opponents have teamwork and you don't its... Still not as bad as LOL or DOTA but annoying none the less

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The wording on the tie breaking stuff is odd. "You get a point for each point capped, but if both teams are tied it's whoever pushed the payload further" How does that work? If they both have the same score didn't they push it the same distance?

Or is it referring to whoever pushed the payload further between points? If that's the case, is it "furthest distance reached at any time" or "furthest distance of the payloads when the timer hit 0"?

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
does on fire time reset once you reach 24 hrs or 12 hrs? I've been ahead of all my friends my 10x for a bit, don't check for a couple days and i suddenly have 2 hrs vs the 10+ i had before

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

xcore posted:

The wording on the tie breaking stuff is odd. "You get a point for each point capped, but if both teams are tied it's whoever pushed the payload further" How does that work? If they both have the same score didn't they push it the same distance?

Or is it referring to whoever pushed the payload further between points? If that's the case, is it "furthest distance reached at any time" or "furthest distance of the payloads when the timer hit 0"?

Points are Points, distance is distance.

If you get 2 points and then half way to the 3rd, and then they need to get 2 points and get it to where you pushed it to.

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK
It really feels like they hosed something up with the netcode. As Roadhog especially I was getting tons of hooks behind me and point blank shots that were doing literally no damage.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

FaustianQ posted:

Help me goons, I have 1070 gold and am trying to choose between Symmetra's Vishkar or Architect legendaries.

Neither. Get Utopaea. Make Vishkar Great Again.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Welp, it happened. 5 gold medals in a competitive "placement" match that ended in a loss.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Bust Rodd posted:

I went 5/5 wins/losses and got parked at Rank 54. I played some good games but the games I lost were total and complete steamrolls.

This game is very fun but when your opponents have teamwork and you don't its... Still not as bad as LOL or DOTA but annoying none the less

I went 6-4 and got placed at 47. Considering I've never played a PC FPS I don't find that too off. Is this number meaningless now basically and we're all thrust into the same progression system?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Some people haven't yet learned that the attackers main entrance on Numbani lets the attackers stay in the invulnerability zone and shoot out. I got three kills as Pharah, which made securing the first point really quick.

Also had a game defending Gibraltar as Widowmaker. I headshot a Reaper teleporting onto the bridge at the round's start and that kinda set the tone. I got quite a few kills and annoyed enemies with well-placed venom mines, and headshot an ulting McCree (although he apparently didn't seem to know that most of my team was holding his team at their spawn and there wasn't really anyone for him to kill anyway.) We held them to only the first checkpoint, they never reached the hangar, although they made it close in the last few minutes, and I got into the action with my machine gun.

Then on attack I went Pharah against their double S76's and we pressed through pretty easily, I got 5 Barrage kills in two barrages. Good times.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It feels like they're leaning too heavily on limited hero restrictions in Brawls; Soldier 76 was the best just because how it forced you to learn survival skills, most of the others have just felt gimmicky. Mystery Heroes is still the simplest and best, in any case, I'd love to see it as a regular mode.

That might happen:

quote:

Posted by Jeff Kaplan
Will see if there is a way we can either bring it back more frequently or make it more of a permanent thing. We're going to take a look at Brawls in general later this summer so we'll make sure this is part of the discussion.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745206200#post-14

Harlock posted:

Did they add a delay for Mercy beam clicks if you're not using toggle beam? Just noticed it tonight

That's a bug they'll try to fix fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Bastion on offense sitting on a payload cart turns the game into a Rail Shooter.