Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Hav posted:

$21,345
pledged of $1,100,000 goal

Not so much.

You got your money's worth eh chief

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw7g8ixbomU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

intardnation posted:

it is a crowd funded project where else would it go. Roberts doesnt own it. The players do.
lmao

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/821831992270581761
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/821836426769797120

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Also, Captain Disillusion is one of the best channels on youtube.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

You got your money's worth eh chief

They had me at 'Orc trunk' and 'Elf legs'. Like a mythic Jon Anderson.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Just thought of something. Remember this dude?

A fat, ugly lottery winner ($42 (sic!) million) wanted another mill to do the AAAMMORPG he's you've always dreamed about. Sound familiar? Kinda?

I give you Chris Roberts 2.0

drat you! I cant un-see that... :drat:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Hahaha loving hell sometimes I wonder if this guy is a troll. The content he wants to see in Star Citizen is stuff that nobody can find. Well poo poo son no wonder he loves the game, it's loving filled with players desperately looking for content but nobody being able to find it.

Chris Roberts is a visionary genius for thinking of such a fantastic game concept.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

The Titanic posted:

Wow. That's pretty deceitful. :(

"It's already a feature".

For the most part, I want everyone who pledged to this game to get their money back. They got taken by a fast talking, hand waving used car salesman. It happens to everyone at somepoint... Some other people deserve to lose every cent they've invested for perpetuating the lies and mis-information surrounding star citizen.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
So I'm going through ten years of home video (converted from tape to dvd, standard def) to index every event on them, they're all about an hour each. November/December 1991 my fam was at a tree farm that had a horse stable next door and look who was also there!

:kayak: :kayak: :kayak: :kayak: :kayak:

:kayak: :kayak: :kayak: :kayak: :kayak:

pls dont doxx my dad or my brother

other fun things I've found so far: my dad screaming HOLY poo poo! as he jumps into an unheated swimming pool in Colorado, then my brother starts crying lol

Pelican Dunderhead fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 18, 2017

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

intardnation posted:

it is a crowd funded project where else would it go. Roberts doesnt own it. The players do.

The assests will get sold to another company in order to pay creditors, like any other failing business.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nicholas posted:

They got taken by a fast talking, hand waving used car salesman.

Hey! Some of us pledged out of rosy-tinted nostaligia; I've never been taken in by a used car salesman ever.

Kayak shot Kennedy?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Just thought of something. Remember this dude?

A fat, ugly lottery winner ($42 (sic!) million) wanted another mill to do the AAAMMORPG he's you've always dreamed about. Sound familiar? Kinda?

I give you Chris Roberts 2.0

The thing is, the game he was imagining was far more possible than Star Citizen

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

alf_pogs posted:

like the hindenberg crashing down upon the titanic

This is bad when it happens. :ohdear:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Nicholas posted:

For the most part, I want everyone who pledged to this game to get their money back. They got taken by a fast talking, hand waving used car salesman. It happens to everyone at somepoint... Some other people deserve to lose every cent they've invested for perpetuating the lies and mis-information surrounding star citizen.

I almost got scammed into signing up for one of those dudes that knocks on your door and offers to switch you over from your local hydro supplier to his companies

In my defense I was in a towel so just like yeah yeah ok whatever this saves me money right?

Good thing my gf at the time was there and was like wait a minute....

So I am ever weary of scammers. And boy howdy everything about SC has been a hilariously forward facing scam ever since the Kickstarter ended

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Foo Diddley posted:

The thing is, the game he was imagining was far more possible than Star Citizen

quote:

The former accountant readily admits to making bad business decisions. Plans that were widely publicized at the time, such as expanding the New Age bookshop near White Marsh that he considered his "spiritual home," failed spectacularly. (Wicca is a nature-based religion based on ancient traditions of witchcraft and white magic.)

A record label that Bartlett started at the request of his wife, Denise, released just two albums before it folded, including one featuring former reality show contestant Dilana Robichaux.

"People always said that I was too kind-hearted and wore my heart on my sleeve," he said. "One of the mistakes I made was giving money to help other people realize their dreams instead of my own. Then, when the businesses crashed, I looked like the bad guy."

When Robichaux first met Bartlett, he impressed her as a man adrift, a man in search of a focus.

"To me, Bunky was kind of a lost soul," said the singer, who was runner-up during the second season of the CBS reality show "Rock Star: Supernova."

"You could kind of tell he was a bit fearful of what he was going to do with all this money."
http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/baltimore-insider-blog/bs-ae-bunky-lottery-20120402-story.html

He needs some ships.

Edit: 'Wicca' is effectively the poo poo that Vivienne Crowley came up with in the 1960s, so ignore the 'ancient traditions' there.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Did Derek like, go in and edit his article or something?

I'm not sure how the article would change depending on if Derek linked it or Chris Roberts himself (after learning how to do that first, just for this occasion)?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Hav posted:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/baltimore-insider-blog/bs-ae-bunky-lottery-20120402-story.html

He needs some ships.

Edit: 'Wicca' is effectively the poo poo that Vivienne Crowley came up with in the 1960s, so ignore the 'ancient traditions' there.
It's "based on ancient traditions" like a movie is "based on true events".

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Rudager posted:

So what are the 300 employees working on if no-one knows what the next step is yet?

- Playing solitare/minesweeper/tetris
- Refactoring artwork for a leather bomber jacket that crobbles spent the previous days work yelling at you about
- updating your linkedin profile
- posting on facebook
- starting up a fake news/blog site for the sole purpose of promoting SC in a very obvious astroturf manner.
- facebook
- facebook
- reading FYAD because your batshit crazy boss makes those fuckers look like intelligent, well adjusted, functioning adults
- contemplating asking for a refund of the past 4 years of your professional life
- 3 hour lunch breaks
- taking Ben to the all-you-can-eat korean bbq buffet and being cut off by the manager.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
That's so unfair! It was Gerald Gardner in the 1950s! Based on something some lady named Margaret told him! So mote it be!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Wonder how that Skarp magic razor's backers are doing?

Well, pretty great I think, all things considered

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Uhhh.... that's like the main thing people complain about with Elite. Good job, dumbshit.

This is an excellent time travelling dogge

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Propagandist posted:

Stank and Big One on the tower in my office. They rarely ever snuggle so this was kinda odd

For a moment I thought I saw a cat with two heads.
I am not a clever man.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

It still completely boggles my mind how often people just toss out something as a fact, when it's really just a complete guess (if even that.)

I mean, it's not like I see a thread dealing with something I don't have any actual information on, then just suddenly jump in with a statement that has zero basis in reality.

And the funny part is that people just keep doing it, and others believe it.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

mdxi posted:

I found this sign on a construction wall at Epcot.

I'm not sure why I feel compelled to post it here.

It's because what CIG is doing isn't new. It's just signs of incredible failure. Anybody who knows business knows that, game development or otherwise irrelevant. It's why CIG falls into all categories of "how to spot a scam" even if it's not about games.

Real companies need real results. If they don't have them or require them, you're not going to be solvent very long, and your entire corporation is going to look very questionable because of it. It's not just one thing, it's a constant factor related to every aspect of your corporate culture.

You can only trick people so long before it crumbles around you. It's pretty much inevitable. This is why good companies and good businesses don't blow a lot of hot air, and when they do consumer axes come down very hard and very fast.

Now in gaming you can say that this is why companies don't show products until they are nearly done. They don't want to mislead expectations, which is a good idea.

CIG, claiming "open development" can show failure, which is totally fine. The only catch here is that they've already sold things they don't have. Trying to claim it a pledge doesn't dismiss that it's an expected deliverable. Also, there is huge marketing, with the CEO himself often going on record to tell people things are done/wrapping up/expect it in this very short period of time.

It's a very poor decision to market and sell the hell out of something that you're not >95% complete with. CIG should have stopped collecting money long ago, but greed and Porsche payments and infinite vacations to anywhere are tough things to say no to. Not to mention the unearthly salary they've given themselves.

I hope you spotted the difference in what's happened! :ohdear:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:argh:

Oh and bonus random comment:

:confused:

Valid for certain values of "added" I suppose

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

TrustmeImLegit posted:

No one communicates more volume wise than CIG hands down and frankly because of the nature of development things change.

Ever heard the saying "quality over quantity". CiG is incredibly good at creating the illusion of open development through the sheer quantity of shows they do that re-tell the same information over and over and over again at a very superficial "Wouldn't it be cool if we could do this" "It's going to be so cool to do that" level.

Meanwhile if I ask 5 Citizens how mining or cargo hauling all work I get 5 different answers because the official information about it is so vague that people fill in the specific details with their imagination.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

You know, I never take anyone too seriously on the internet, but derek, honestly, if I were you, I'd make sure you have preventative measures against this dude. He will be the one that rappels into your bedroom window and mercs you in your sleep because obviously you made star citizen fail.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Derek threatening legal action and then doing nothing is as old as the internet, it's what earned him his reputation.

cctv footage of Legal action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCxoXPk8JPs

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ghostlight posted:

It's "based on ancient traditions" like a movie is "based on true events".

I like this and may be stealing it in the future.

Wonder how that Skarp magic razor's backers are doing?

Well, pretty great I think, all things considered

Seriously, people bought into the laser razor? I'm totally in the wrong loving game.

edit: I like the headline - http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/a17782/skarp-laser-razor-crowdfunding-problems/

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

nawledgelambo posted:

You know, I never take anyone too seriously on the internet, but derek, honestly, if I were you, I'd make sure you have preventative measures against this dude. He will be the one that rappels into your bedroom window and mercs you in your sleep because obviously you made star citizen fail.

Given the Gremlich's mental state, I doubt he is of sound mind to set his lines correctly, so Derek would probably wake one morning and throw open the curtains to see Gremlich in full tactical garb, dangling like a contorted mess, hanged until expiration by his own rope.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Hav posted:

I like this and may be stealing it in the future.

Seriously, people bought into the laser razor? I'm totally in the wrong loving game.

Not only did they buy into the campaign after it got kicked off Kickstarter and went to Indiegogo, some of them are defending it after it missed its release date by like a year, stopped updating and stopped accepting new donations. It's like half the idiots cry for refunds, the rest of them rationalize it by telling themselves they never really expected anything in any case. And, uh, no, they still haven't shown a working prototype

it's awesome

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Not only did they buy into the campaign after it got kicked off Kickstarter and went to Indiegogo, some of them are defending it after it missed its release date by like a year, stopped updating and stopped accepting new donations. It's like half the idiots cry for refunds, the rest of them rationalize it by telling themselves they never really expected anything in any case. And, uh, no, they still haven't shown a working prototype

it's awesome

No word from the UC irvine Professor that was defending it, I assume? Zachary Christopher?

He pulled the 'we've got a secret process' thing that raised eyebrows because they tried to crack on that they'd found a magical wavelength that could cut all hair. IPL works great on everyone but blondes...

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
So, the dudes behind ShiftWear, the wearable shoes with totally realistic flexible e-ink screens possiblifying your own sneaker design with wireless connectivity and app func- huh? No, you remember, these ones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5XhzmjUVnk&t=46s

They just released some shots of their totally just a prototype (because the original design is very much possible) first alpha shoes:

Yeah that's kind of the stuff they were selling, though that seems to be an LCD screen taped to a lovely ugly shoe, that will break after like one hundred paces. Never fear though:

quote:

The important things to take away from this are:

The original design IS possible and WILL be built and delivered as ShiftWear grows and moves onward. Until then we will develop the closest product possible.
We are continually updating our design using cutting edge technology from all over the world.
We realize that our communication has been lackluster - we will be providing scheduled updates and feedback channels going forward to keep our supporters in the loop.

Thank you all for your continued patience and support. Please keep writing your feedback, suggestions, criticisms, and requests in the forums. We are making it a priority to keep you in the loop and give you what you want.

Best,

Nick Johnson
Head of Engineering

PS:

I’d like to leave you with an analogy: I’m opening a pizza shop that will deliver you the best pepperoni pizza you’ve ever tasted. The cheese is complex, hearty, unique. The pepperonis have a kick! They’re the perfect texture, thickness, and have substance. So before I make my first slice, do I now master the process of making cheese - experimenting with different bacteria cultures, creams and aging to create that perfect cheese I envisioned? Should I become a master of charcuterie - arriving at the perfect ratios of salt, meat, spices, bacteria, and time through countless iterations of trial and error to get those delectable, juicy pepperonis? Unless I also invented the iPhone, I think I’d run out of money somewhere along the way. Instead, I choose to scour the earth and find the best ingredients the world has to offer. Pepperonis from the elusive, subterranean Perroni tribe of southern Italy and cheese from a street vendor/monastery in rural China. We want to deliver the best product we can create - we don’t have the means to make exactly what we envisioned, but we will start off with something amazing and will keep improving until we’ve achieved it. Cheesy analogy over.
2 people like this

I didn't see this one coming, really thought they'd take the cash and run. Guess they didn't have the shoes for it

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Hav posted:

No word from the UC irvine Professor that was defending it, I assume? Zachary Christopher?

He pulled the 'we've got a secret process' thing that raised eyebrows because they tried to crack on that they'd found a magical wavelength that could cut all hair. IPL works great on everyone but blondes...
This guy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzjj2qX_nFA

he's got a lab coat, where do I pledge

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

Did Derek like, go in and edit his article or something?

I'm not sure how the article would change depending on if Derek linked it or Chris Roberts himself (after learning how to do that first, just for this occasion)?

I know memes are generally lazy humour, but Dolvak honestly has me thinking "Not sure if trolling or really stupid." You've got to be pretty far into cult mentality to react to someone complimenting you by ranting about how they're twisting your words. Twisting by, uh, linking to exactly what you said, in full. I was going to say we'll see people getting refunds and still damning Derek, but then I remembered that's already happened. I don't think I have any sympathy for the people who still have money in this now.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Nicholas posted:

Agreed. :3:

I have half a mind that feels like they deserve it at this point, though. Actually probably more than half. I don't think I've had or seen many good encounters with backers at this stage. Some of them are a bit... zany.

Now I'm sure there is still the normal and silent majority, and to those I hope they get to pull out before they lose everything. A $7.42 class action check isn't going to offset the $5,000 they sunk into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tokamak posted:

The assests will get sold to another company in order to pay creditors, like any other failing business.

This is what I think too.

They'll have fire sales where mysterious benefactors roll in and clean everything out. From assets of models (probably will be sold to junky mobile game devs wanting good art), to the more important hardware. Cameras, rigging, lighting, ridiculous amounts of designer furniture... all sold to (most likely) friends of Chris Roberts. Get a $5000 chair for $5! Thanks bud!

I think the other, not yet started, scam is going to be how they offload all their equipment onto other companies. I bet friends will get all the mocap stuff, tons of equipment, etc, and after everything burns to the ground where CIG has nothing to give back, Chris and Sandi will go working for that company and keep doing the Hollywood dream, with successfully laundered hardware free and clear.

Salesdog is ready for your firesale!

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 19, 2017