Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Fearless posted:

There are arms dumps off Nova Scotia marked on nautical charts to the effect of "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT FISH HERE." Turns out mustard gas congeals over time and when very cold-- people that have fished in those areas have brought up clumps of terror jello in their nets over the past couple of decades because the shell casings have all rotted away.

That's insane. Why doesn't it dissolve?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vengarr posted:

That's insane. Why doesn't it dissolve?

Forms a crust. It happens in air too, people in Europe have been picking up rocks that break open and get them for a century now.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Not the kind of Spicy Rocks I'm used to hearing about.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

When I lived in Cambodia, pretty much everywhere you went around the north- and south-east (where I lived) of the country there are these big puddles, which I, of course, assumed were just that; puddles.

Until someone just casually mentioned they were American bomb craters. They dug up at least two unexploded ones around the village I was in just in the two years I was there. I guess during the rainy season they move around underground, too, so you can be a farmer and plow the same field every year for nine years, and then on the tenth year suddenly there's a bomb in the corner of it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Henry Kissinger water features :911:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

At least now they can call it the Henry Kissinger Memorial Water Feature.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Moon Slayer posted:

At least now they can call it the Henry Kissinger Memorial Water Feature.

There's already one of those in every bathroom though :confused:

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Guest2553 posted:

:hmmyes:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Guest2553 posted:

:laffo:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Guest2553 posted:

henry pissinger

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

richard pisson

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Fat Leonard bribery cases fall apart because of prosecution blunders
One Navy officer confessed to leaking military secrets for $105,000 in bribes and prostitutes. But instead of going to prison, he may avoid punishment for his crimes.

Washington Post posted:

Few Navy officers entangled themselves in the Fat Leonard corruption scandal more than Steve Shedd. In court documents and testimony, the former warship captain confessed to leaking military secrets on 10 occasions for prostitutes, vacations, luxury watches and other bribes worth $105,000.

On the witness stand in a related case in 2022, Shedd also admitted that he had lied repeatedly to federal agents and betrayed his oath to defend the Constitution.

“You’re a traitor to the United States, aren’t you?” attorney Joseph Mancano asked the Naval Academy graduate.

“Yes, sir,” Shedd replied, acknowledging that he was “a disgrace” who “deserves prison.”

Yet because of mistakes by the Justice Department, Shedd might avoid punishment for his crimes.

In addition to Shedd’s case, federal prosecutors in the Southern District of California are proposing throwing out the felony guilty pleas of three other retired Navy officers and one retired Marine colonel who admitted pocketing bribes from Francis. If the judge approves, they’ll be allowed to plead guilty to misdemeanors instead, with no prison time.

The cases collapsed after defense attorneys alleged that prosecutors from the U.S. attorney’s office in San Diego relied on flawed evidence and withheld information favorable to the defense during the 2022 bribery trial of five other officers who had served in the Navy’s 7th Fleet in Asia. Each was accused of accepting extravagant meals and gifts from Francis, whose maritime-services company once held $200 million in federal contracts to resupply Navy ships in ports throughout the Western Pacific.

Good job, all.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Moon Slayer posted:

One Navy officer confessed to leaking military secrets for $105,000 in bribes and prostitutes. But instead of going to prison, he may avoid punishment for his crimes.

Good job, all.

God loving damnit can't we just kill everyone involved?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Not when you ask out loud in public like that!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Steezo posted:

God loving damnit can't we just kill everyone involved?

That sounds like you want punishments for an officer beyond a mean evaluation that is a "career killer". We just don't do that around here.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Moon Slayer posted:

Good job, all.

https://youtu.be/4SDYd2e9pT4?si=CWmEA5aXQbeCm32s

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

bird food bathtub posted:

That sounds like you want punishments for an officer beyond a mean evaluation that is a "career killer". We just don't do that around here.

This poo poo is why we haven't won a war in seventy nine years.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Ahhh, my annapolis classmate Steve Shedd who bragged of his Christian lifestyle while simultaneously getting free hookers all across Asia. Good to see his case going away.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
The system works! Young horny college grads have to be thinking that a career as a US NAVY SWO is looking pretty fine right about now.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Ahhh, my annapolis classmate Steve Shedd who bragged of his Christian lifestyle while simultaneously getting free hookers all across Asia. Good to see his case going away.

Promote ahead of peers.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Steezo posted:

This poo poo is why we haven't won a war in seventy nine years.
Gulf war was a one-sided slaughter.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

And Korea was a draw...

But I agree with the sentiment. Purge the JAGs.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Doesn't read like the JAGs did it, the article blames the US Attorney's office in San Diego for bungling the trial.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Yeah, they all went to Federal district court, not GCM.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
Have intrusive thoughts of returning to Parris Island with my veteran status to goto the PX, shaving my head and wearing everything like a new recruit except high end Jordans and leading a recruit uprising.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
I sometimes have nightmares where I'm back in, but in a different branch/MOS where I have to try to make it through the day pretending I know what I'm doing.

So a normal day huh? :dadjoke:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Queer Grenadier posted:

Have intrusive thoughts of returning to Parris Island with my veteran status to goto the PX, shaving my head and wearing everything like a new recruit except high end Jordans and leading a recruit uprising.

Bring logs of dip and some candy. They'll rally to you like the pied piper.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I wish I could go back through Basic with the knowledge I have now, and just gently caress with everyone.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Punished Ape posted:

I sometimes have nightmares where I'm back in, but in a different branch/MOS where I have to try to make it through the day pretending I know what I'm doing.

So a normal day huh? :dadjoke:

Yeah that’s no different than my every day as a reservist.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

bulletsponge13 posted:

I wish I could go back through Basic with the knowledge I have now, and just gently caress with everyone.

Exactly this!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Trust me just going through boot at 37 was funny enough without any prior mil knowledge.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Queer Grenadier posted:

Something tells me if you were very succesful you'd get in the history books. As the start to the succesful career of future MacArthur, Patton, or Lee

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Icon Of Sin posted:

If we’re gonna do some historical idiocy, fort fisher exploding just after US forces captured it in 1865 is going to be somewhere up top.

https://historicsites.nc.gov/all-sites/fort-fisher/history/civil-war-ft-fisher/aftermath/magazine-explosion

Wikipedia version:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Battle_of_Fort_Fisher

(possibly drunken marines)

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://twitter.com/CollinRugg/status/1795889034176377035?t=22WxnK2KorYFrcjeB6n_pA&s=19

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Holy poo poo :lol:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

the look on his face at the end. i mean dude what did you expect

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Pure Michigan

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

What's the over/under on MOS? My money's on ammo or MP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That level of dumb reeks of MP.