Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

History Comes Inside! posted:

I’ve played more PS4 games than PS5 games on my PS5 at this point and that’s alright.

I am 100% going to be doing the same when mine arrives, I just hope that some of the games I've been putting off run better. It still seems a bit inconsistent from what I can see so I might play through the stuff that got improvements first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I am 100% going to be doing the same when mine arrives, I just hope that some of the games I've been putting off run better. It still seems a bit inconsistent from what I can see so I might play through the stuff that got improvements first

Basic rules of thumb from what I have seen on the net,

If it was uncapped but didn't hit 60, it should probably now.
If it was capped at 30 and didn't hit it consistently, should be locked to 30.
If it was capped to 30 but had bad frame pacing, no improvement.

Dynamic resolution will probably run at max resolution.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

I’ve played more PS4 games than PS5 games on my PS5 at this point and that’s alright.

Me too but I didn't have a PS4 so it's been incredible. Turns out GoW, HZD, and FF7R are in fact good.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve beaten Demon’s Souls once, I’ve played maybe 3/4 of Miles Morales, and now I’m just jamming Persona 5 Royal until my next paycheck and I’m buying a fat rear end TV so I can play all the PS5 games with HDR and all the bells & whistles. I am feeling sorta stupid about it, but at the same time the way vaccine rollout is going in the US, I realistically don’t expect a return to “normal life” until May/June at the earliest. I’m in my 30s without any preexisting conditions and I work with animals instead of people, so I have to assume I am dead last in terms of getting a vaccine. If I’m really gonna be locked in my apartment for another 6 months, I need a giant shiny TV to fuel my escapism.

But in February Control PS5 comes out, and Returnal in March, and hopefully by April we get the PS5 version of Cyberpunk and then I’ll be good on video games for a bit.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

It seemed like it was the whole internet because Sony played their cards super close to their chest on that front for most of the run up to launch, to be fair.

It was really only the very first round of media where they talked about it specifically having some kind of “Legacy modes” for BC that it was mentioned and then they said basically nothing useful about it until it was in people’s hands.

Mark Cerny talked about legacy modes back in like March 2020 and it was publicly stated by Sony at the time that the overwhelming majority of PS4 games will work on PS5. It was only clickbait journalists and doombrained "obviously it's going to be the shittiest solution possible because that's the timeline we live in" posters insisting that it was going to be anything other than what we got.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ve beaten Demon’s Souls once, I’ve played maybe 3/4 of Miles Morales, and now I’m just jamming Persona 5 Royal until my next paycheck and I’m buying a fat rear end TV so I can play all the PS5 games with HDR and all the bells & whistles. I am feeling sorta stupid about it, but at the same time the way vaccine rollout is going in the US, I realistically don’t expect a return to “normal life” until May/June at the earliest. I’m in my 30s without any preexisting conditions and I work with animals instead of people, so I have to assume I am dead last in terms of getting a vaccine. If I’m really gonna be locked in my apartment for another 6 months, I need a giant shiny TV to fuel my escapism.

But in February Control PS5 comes out, and Returnal in March, and hopefully by April we get the PS5 version of Cyberpunk and then I’ll be good on video games for a bit.

3 words.

GHOST OF TSUSHIMA.

once you get a new shiny tv, you need a new shiny game to display the capabilities of your new tv.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

PS4 version of Cyberpunk play okay on PS5 or does it still have problems? I've been avoiding most news for fear of spoilers so I dunno how much it's been fixed, or even how bad it originally was.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Every version is extremely buggy, but it at least runs okay on PS5. I got it for Christmas but I'm planning to hold off for the PS5 version.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I've beaten it it on PS5 and I really love the game, but I'm saving my 2nd and 3rd characters for the January and February patches... and then I'm gonna remake perfect versions of those 3 characters again on PS5.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think whether you can play the game now depends on how comfortable rolling the dice with crashes. Could be constant could not happen at all

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
the main issue are the frequent crashes. otherwise it's fine. it's unpolished, but i haven't encountered any horrible bugs. mostly amusing ones.

it's my goty in spite of putting up with those problems.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

I thought 13 sentinels was going to be an “oh no I’ve bought a Bad Creepy Anime Game that I’m going to be really uncomfortable playing” purchase when moments into the opening cutscene one of the Anime Teenagers had to flash some thigh to summon a giant robot.

Luckily nothing else like that happens for no reason for the rest of the game and it turned out to be really loving good!

What about when they have to strip naked to get into their robots?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Thanks, that's kinda what I was figuring. I got Cyberpunk for Christmas but haven't started yet, maybe I'll give it another month for patches or PS5-version news.

I know if I start it I'll have to finish it, but if I hold off I can distract myself with GOW (which I've never played) or some of the other PS+ collection.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

fridge corn posted:

What about when they have to strip naked to get into their robots?

If it hadn’t been mentioned in the dialogue I probably never would have even noticed it, and to comment any further would be spoilers!

VVV - also this. Unless you’re super into drawings of shoulders there’s nothing remotely titillating or exploitative about it, and you could even argue that the below examples are more “sexualised” in their portrayals.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 10, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The nude in the robots is about the same level of the transformations of like Sailor moon or digimon. If you find those shows to risqué fair enough I guess

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sharks and oceans and open world games are my poo poo. Maneater looks really fun, like one of those mid budget open world rpgs you can just get lost in without holding it to some high tier expectations. Seems real fun to zone out in. Is that accurate? I might install it later.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

:siren:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kilometers Davis posted:

Sharks and oceans and open world games are my poo poo. Maneater looks really fun, like one of those mid budget open world rpgs you can just get lost in without holding it to some high tier expectations. Seems real fun to zone out in. Is that accurate? I might install it later.

It gets repetitive after awhile but the main concept is amusing, and elicited a few sensible chuckles from me over its 10-hour runtime.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

exquisite tea posted:

It gets repetitive after awhile but the main concept is amusing, and elicited a few sensible chuckles from me over its 10-hour runtime.

Yeah that works for me! Solid length too. I’m a big fan of shorter open world romps. We don’t get enough of those.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I know FF14 isn't F2P but it used to have resolution options so I imagine I can play in 4K/60 frames on the PS5 (It ran like poo poo on the PS4 if you went above 1080p)

It might as well be with the new free trial if people have never played it. I put 70 hours in and found out I was only half way through the realm reborn and was just hitting the first wave of content from patches. Then I've got the entire second expansion to go before having to pay.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Requested a return on Cyberpunk on PS4 as soon as Sony said they were doing them in mid-December. Then I got a PS5 and it actually ran and I just accepted it for a while. Now three weeks later they finally process the refund and somehow I ain't mad? Never got too far into it, so I figure restarting for a proper PS5 version won't be so bad.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

that's exactly it, the game is just "go here and eat this thing, go here and eat this thing, go here and eat this thing, now you're done" interspersed with a lot of wry sarcasm about pollution/commercialization throughout

surprisingly decent villain too

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bust Rodd posted:

No Hitman?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Chad Sexington posted:

Requested a return on Cyberpunk on PS4 as soon as Sony said they were doing them in mid-December. Then I got a PS5 and it actually ran and I just accepted it for a while. Now three weeks later they finally process the refund and somehow I ain't mad? Never got too far into it, so I figure restarting for a proper PS5 version won't be so bad.

they finally processed mine this past week. I don't know that they'll re-earn that money

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

cubicle gangster posted:

It might as well be with the new free trial if people have never played it. I put 70 hours in and found out I was only half way through the realm reborn and was just hitting the first wave of content from patches. Then I've got the entire second expansion to go before having to pay.

How does the trial work?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Even though I never owned a PS4 and have the entire back library, I have mostly played PS5 games. Or ones that have a PS5 version and aren't just running in backcompat mode.

I think the only PS4 game I've played extensively was Disney Afternoon. The others I've wanted to finish my PS5 games first.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

henpod posted:

Can I go from rest mode to being completely shut down without having to turn it on, and selecting 'off'? Sometime's I have it in rest mode to charge controllers and whatever and don't really want to have to turn on the TV, turn on the console, then turn it off.

I don't think so, but I don't know why you would want to do this, just leave it on rest mode, it uses gently caress all power.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

marktheando posted:

I don't think so, but I don't know why you would want to do this, just leave it on rest mode, it uses gently caress all power.

Main reason is if your power goes out at any time while in rest mode your console will tell at you for improperly powering it off and have to run a repair on your internal and external drives

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Chin Strap posted:

How does the trial work?

If you never owned it or registered a key (free ps+ version counts as owning the game) you can play ARR + Heavensward for free and get all jobs to 60 without a time limit. Social restrictions exist tho.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Is this a good TV for PS5?

I can get one for like exactly my budget right now and I'm itching to pull the trigger on a new toy but don't wanna rush on a dud.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Bust Rodd posted:

Is this a good TV for PS5?

I can get one for like exactly my budget right now and I'm itching to pull the trigger on a new toy but don't wanna rush on a dud.

It doesn't support HDMI 2.1 which you may or may not care about.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I played Demon's Souls and Miles in the first week, and since then it's been an upgraded PS4, which yeah, is totally alright.

Using the PS5 as a much better PS4, while I wait for more games to roll in is 100 times better than sitting there with my PS4 and having nothing to play on it for the better part of a year.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I have an LG C7. If I were to get a CX, are games even pushing more than 60fps in 4K to use the VRR?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

KingKapalone posted:

I have an LG C7. If I were to get a CX, are games even pushing more than 60fps in 4K to use the VRR?

No, PS5 doesn’t support VRR yet.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Oh so what's the HDMI 2.1 for?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

KingKapalone posted:

Oh so what's the HDMI 2.1 for?

Support for these things (VRR and Auto Game Mode etc) when they're actually enabled on PS5.

(Alternatively if someone releases a super-optimised visual showcase that actually runs 4K120, that requires HDMI 2.1)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I bought DMCVSE with my Maneater refund.

Does it ever get any less brown and grey? I can’t see poo poo half the time because Nero is brown and grey, the enemies are brown and grey and the environment is brown and grey.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Fedule posted:

Support for these things (VRR and Auto Game Mode etc) when they're actually enabled on PS5.

(Alternatively if someone releases a super-optimised visual showcase that actually runs 4K120, that requires HDMI 2.1)

iinm, stuff like Dirt 5 already goes higher than 1080p @ 120Hz (though resolution can dip below).

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
well the whole point of buying a fancy pants new TV is to try and maximize my PS5. If I'm never, ever gonna get PSVR, is HDMI 2.1 is still gonna be important? How likely am I gonna be kicking myself over skipping it in the next few years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

well the whole point of buying a fancy pants new TV is to try and maximize my PS5. If I'm never, ever gonna get PSVR, is HDMI 2.1 is still gonna be important? How likely am I gonna be kicking myself over skipping it in the next few years?

PSVR has nothing to do with HDMI 2.1, are you mixing it up with VRR? VRR is Variable Refresh Rate, it lets the tv match the refresh rate of the screen to the frame rate of the game.