Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

RBA Starblade posted:

Zero Hour seems incredibly annoying

Sounds like they nailed it then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Does it still have that proto-match-game modifier?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

It also seems bugged when you reach the area with Amandas ship, where enemies don´t spawn for me.

Orv
May 4, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I will take the brave stance of it’s always sucked. Whisper was a very uniquely Destiny nightmare kind of experience back in Y1. Zero Hour is just a chore.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Orv posted:

I will take the brave stance of it’s always sucked. Whisper was a very uniquely Destiny nightmare kind of experience back in Y1. Zero Hour is just a chore.

I remember hating the jumping sections of zero hour more than anything else at that time.

Him was fun the first run through, but annoying every time forward.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah if you get a smooth first run of Zero Hour it can be a really good experience. Rerunning it was never a good time even if it obviously became smoother each time.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I think zero hour is a better product than whisper mission, but they leaned a little too hard into dead ends and rote memorization

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Orv posted:

What the gently caress do you MEAN the final boss arena has no ammo drops

I had fifteen minutes left and failed at the walkers because I was down to the handcannon after managing to fight off the 50 snipers that two tap through woven mail with full resistances on (what the hell btw, this is normal difficulty, is it really set to GM NF by default?). I even got through the arc bot thing first try no deaths

I'm not going to bother a second time lol, gently caress that

Orv
May 4, 2011
I saw a mention that even normal has a lot of stuff as swords to you? Dunno if that’s intended or what.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zero Hour definitely benefits from the extended timer - the mazy section of it is kind of fun the first time, but to end it with a beefy encounter filled with spongey enemies is kinda eh. I lost a solo run because I just couldn't kill the walkers fast enough so I'll probably wait till I have a buddy to do it with.

I'm dreading the hell out of doing legend runs for the upgrades though. Really wish the legend requirement was just the one time for the catalyst.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The whole thing with crafted exotics requiring a bunch of runs is off putting and it’s especially grating that they never do the same requirements from mission to mission. Whisper has been the best at least since I just waited two weeks and did it all in two runs. But I just straight up am not going to bother getting the Lexcalibur catalysts because the weapon sucks and the mission is just kind of bleh.

Orv fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 14, 2024

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I dunno, I think it's good for content to not be completely one-and-done, the problem is making sure it's actually enjoyable or engaging to do more the once, though.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Orv posted:

The whole thing with crafted exotics requiring a bunch of runs is off putting and it’s especially grating that they never do the same requirements from mission to mission. Whisper has been the best at least since I just waited two weeks and did it all in two runs. But I just straight up am not going to bother getting the Lexcalibur catalysts because the weapon sucks and the mission is just kind of bleh.

:same:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
And let's not forget the fact that we are literally doing 2017's Whisper and 2018's Zero Hour, again, multiple times, after it was removed from the game for 4 years

Orv
May 4, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

I dunno, I think it's good for content to not be completely one-and-done, the problem is making sure it's actually enjoyable or engaging to do more the once, though.

I mean I think having stuff in them like prior seasons red borders and seasonal activity armor is a good pull, for me at least. It’s just that in typical Destiny style you get three red borders a week and then the chances for more bottom out so viciously that it’s basically impossible to get more. Should you be able to grind them all out in a week? Maybe not. But an effectively hard like year+ time gate thanks to the rotator feels not great.

E: Honestly the rotator format needs to go. Impose time gates on weekly red border progress or whatever but that whole “Okay you guys wanna grind the poo poo out of [exotic mission/raid/dungeon] in a limited time frame or get hosed for X weeks?” really increases the problem of it feeling like a metrics lever.

Orv fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 14, 2024

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

For someone who never played the originals, Whisper and Zero Hour feel pretty mediocre compared to later bangers like Presage and Seraph Station.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Whisper has atmosphere and mystery. Zero Hour has a few too many dead ends and booby traps. Neither of them should have a time limit, on normal at least

There’s a good bit of nostalgia too, especially for whisper which was shadow dropped without any lead-in or quest and word of it spread organically over the course of several hours. They had never really done anything like that before, and never really did again either

haveblue fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 15, 2024

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

haveblue posted:

Neither of them should have a time limit, on normal at least
Remove the time limit on normal and make it a triumph for finishing it within a given time instead.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Collateral Damage posted:

Remove the time limit on normal and make it a triumph for finishing it within a given time instead.

That would be so much better. I never liked either original mission because of this, and only finished them because I had a friend that was really good. I'm notoriously terrible at jumping puzzles and only just managed to get to the end after he'd cleared 80% of the final battle. Not a fun experience when you can't keep up with the timer and miss out on the vast majority of the content.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
PSN giving away Lightfall has me thinking I should try to hop back into this casually, I haven't played since....uh...Shadowkeep? But I signed in and there was a scary amount of things blinking at me so I stopped....is there a guide or something on what I should do if I haven't played in like 5 years? Even the amount of menus is daunting

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I ran zero hour three times.

The first time I timed out but got to the end, so it was a good learning experience.

The second time I ran it with fireteam finder blueberries, one had no armor or weapon mods and the second ran with PvP gear. We finished normal with two minutes to spare. I had over 160 kills and the other two had 25 each.

The third was with a friend and we dragged a fireteam finder blueberry as well. The blueberry got the boss just as we killed him and had over 40 deaths from the jumping puzzles.

:suicide:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

wyoak posted:

PSN giving away Lightfall has me thinking I should try to hop back into this casually, I haven't played since....uh...Shadowkeep? But I signed in and there was a scary amount of things blinking at me so I stopped....is there a guide or something on what I should do if I haven't played in like 5 years? Even the amount of menus is daunting

Do the Light fall stuff (Neptune) to unlock the newest subclass, Strand.

Then I'd do the seasonal content from the HELM. Season of the Wish (right side), Season of the Witch (bottom), Season of the Deep (left side), Season of Defiance (top). Wish has the best weapons IMHO, followed by Witch.

There's also Onslaught activity from the Into the Light node that has a lot of really good guns to chase godrolls for.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
For a PvE Voltshot chainer, is Brigands Law worth it in a world where IKELOS_SMG exists?

When I look at Brigands Law I see it doubling up on the empty mag reload boost, but IKELOS is IKELOS.

I've been holding 5 Brigands for over a year now waiting for Harmonizers.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I'm gonna be honest, i've replaced both of those with Subjunctive but that's also because I prefer the feel of 900rpm SMG's :v:

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

life_source posted:

For a PvE Voltshot chainer, is Brigands Law worth it in a world where IKELOS_SMG exists?

When I look at Brigands Law I see it doubling up on the empty mag reload boost, but IKELOS is IKELOS.

I'm a worthless nobody and last night I equipped some random brigands voltshot to play around with. I've been loving the tresspasser recently, but BL fell flat by comparison. I quickly switched back to my ikelos after that.

I don't know if BL is worth crafting as I have no idea what can roll on it, but I would caution you about spending too many harmonizers on it.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
I really want that missile grenade sidearm but have yet to run the dungeon at all.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Legend Zero Hour is rude, it blocks off the shortcut under the ship.

Managed to clear it with just one buddy (he is good and probably pulled more weight then me)

FlapYoJacks posted:

The third was with a friend and we dragged a fireteam finder blueberry as well. The blueberry got the boss just as we killed him and had over 40 deaths from the jumping puzzles.
This is the essence of those missions. I feel like this was my exact first experiences with Whisper and maybe even Zero Hour back when I did them back in the day. (Showing up to the boss room way too late because bad at jumping)

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 15, 2024

Orv
May 4, 2011

life_source posted:

Brigand’s Law was great when it was the first easily obtainable Voltshot platform but just do an Ikelos or Subjunctive now as you prefer.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Orv posted:

Brigand’s Law was great when it was the first easily obtainable Voltshot platform but just do an Ikelos or Subjunctive now as you prefer.

I think the scout made a bigger splash that season.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Paracelsus posted:

That scout is fantastic.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I liked the sidearm much more then the scout that season. I think with surrounded it was really snappy to reload, made good use of it doing my Duality runs.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

The scout was crisp in a fantastic way but it’s still a scout

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

el B posted:

I really want that missile grenade sidearm but have yet to run the dungeon at all.
You should, it's a fantastic dungeon. Probably the best one they've made.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Indebted Kindness is so shamelessly overpowered and best in slot/best in class that it's not even funny

Gotta sell those Dungeon Keys!

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Completed zero hour mission with my friends with 22 seconds to spare on our second attempt. First attempt was basically relearning the mission. That loving brig was a loving sponge. We were basically plinking at it for 8 minutes. At the end I ended up switching to void build and weakened it enough to barely destroy it in time after my timers reset. I think we did fine except the brig at the end, there has to be a better way to take it down.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Can you get the two spider tanks to shoot each other? :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I stopped being mad and went back and won, turns out the secret is that dragon's breath instantly kills walkers and indebted kindness is just cracked

Also there is in fact a rally point but it is bugged and half the time under the map lol

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Witherhoard wrecks bosses like the brig. I have literally never vaulted it, it's just too useful, even if I don't use it that often anymore.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6AQlAJddPs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
* Sales are down and TFS sucks in playtesting *

Bungie: What if we give the players all the things they have been asking for??