Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

Supradog posted:

One thing I wonder about those one piece over suits you americans seem to love, don't you get sweaty/stinky in them? I mean the clothes you got under is normal clothing right? So cotton, jeans, some polyester stuff, ie crap at being inner layers in regards to moisture and heat transfer? Very little of the gear I see for sale here in Norway is over pieces, not by design atleast.

Yes and no. The aerostich has a few vents that work fine up to a fairly warm temperature. Wearing jeans on a warm day will feel a bit swampy. I live in a generally cooler environment so it isnt a problem for me, maybe a few summer days a year when commuting home is too warm for comfort. Normally what I've done on those days is just bring a synthetic wicking athletic shirt in with me, either subbing it for the cotton t undershirt, or changing at the end of the day in my office or a bathroom or whatever.

When i took a road trip last summer to central california I just wore lightweight hiking pants instead of jeans. Was still hot as gently caress but that's basically how life goes when it's just hot as gently caress out and you're riding through a desert. The stich actually helps in that case by limiting how fast you can be dehydrated. I could pour cold water on myself at a gas stop and it helped moderate how fast it evaporated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Or just buy used aerostich and then wash it.

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

Yes and no. The aerostich has a few vents that work fine up to a fairly warm temperature. Wearing jeans on a warm day will feel a bit swampy. I live in a generally cooler environment so it isnt a problem for me, maybe a few summer days a year when commuting home is too warm for comfort. Normally what I've done on those days is just bring a synthetic wicking athletic shirt in with me, either subbing it for the cotton t undershirt, or changing at the end of the day in my office or a bathroom or whatever.

When i took a road trip last summer to central california I just wore lightweight hiking pants instead of jeans. Was still hot as gently caress but that's basically how life goes when it's just hot as gently caress out and you're riding through a desert. The stich actually helps in that case by limiting how fast you can be dehydrated. I could pour cold water on myself at a gas stop and it helped moderate how fast it evaporated.

I find the vents work great if I'm going at least 30. Under 30 and it starts to get pretty warm in the summer.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Lol I'm not living in California. I'll be lucky. if I can find xxxl alpinestars leather.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Necessity is the mother of invention:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Gorson posted:

I hate this for many reasons.

So I'm going to be getting my scooter in a couple of days, and I need some advise on what gear to get. I live in Los Angeles, so temps get pretty warm here. Do I want to get those boots that go up to the shin, or would I be okay with ankle motorcycle boots?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Why can women get hair under their helmet but bunny-boys can't?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Because they can actually undo their buns on account of washing them ever.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Supradog posted:

One thing I wonder about those one piece over suits you americans seem to love, don't you get sweaty/stinky in them? I mean the clothes you got under is normal clothing right? So cotton, jeans, some polyester stuff, ie crap at being inner layers in regards to moisture and heat transfer? Very little of the gear I see for sale here in Norway is over pieces, not by design atleast.

I wear mine until about the mid-70s (~24C) and then switch to motorcycle jeans and just change them in the office. My office is slowly switching over to casual attire so I'll just be able to wear m/c jeans. The oversuit though is great when it's 55F (~13C).

AncientTV posted:

Don't know anything about the quality, but I've had these guys bookmarked for awhile: http://www.teizms.com

I have one; but it's the discontinued Alcatraz, which is leather. Teiz is made in Pakistan; it's not aerostitch quality and it's not aerostitch pricing. Definitely acceptable, I would say.

Gorson posted:

Good to see Bell focusing on the important stuff. :colbert:

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

MoraleHazard posted:

Good to see Bell focusing on the important stuff. :colbert:

Luckily we have the AMA fighting to secure our right to not ruin our man-buns with helmets. God Bless America. :911:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
They could always complete their journey of mindless appropriation by learning to wrap a turban (these exempting you from the legal obligation to wear a helmet in the UK).

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Just wrap it into a pony tail. Problem solved.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Got some Frogg Togg pants today, jfc I should have gotten these months ago.

In heavy rain on a sport bike rain is funneled to your crotch, and apparently gauntlet gloves love being huge funnels for rain water coming down from your rain-liner-clad arms when you brake.

WTF can I do about my hands? Everything else is dry now at least :unsmith:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Pope Mobile posted:

Just wrap it into a pony tail. Problem solved.

No, that would look weird. :ironicat:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Riding daily got me to start cutting my hair shorter than it's ever been in the past ~30 years or so.

Y'all should try it. Having a stray strand of bangs flapping in front of your eyes with no way to brush them back during a ride sucks.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Space Whale posted:

In heavy rain on a sport bike rain is funneled to your crotch, and apparently gauntlet gloves love being huge funnels for rain water coming down from your rain-liner-clad arms when you brake.

stop being a god drat pussy, if you didn't want to get wet you should have driven the car

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Razzled posted:

stop being a god drat pussy, if you didn't want to get wet you should have driven the car

It's not that I mind being wet it's that people in the office I work at might not want to see my stuff drip dry.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Riding daily got me to start cutting my hair shorter than it's ever been in the past ~30 years or so.

Y'all should try it. Having a stray strand of bangs flapping in front of your eyes with no way to brush them back during a ride sucks.

I didn't need a motorcycle to cut my hair like a man, hippy.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Space Whale posted:

Put your sleeves over the gloves, dummy.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Space Whale posted:

Gauntlet gloves go over your armour jacket but under your rain jacket. This will fix everything.

If you're running an armour jacket with an internal waterproof liner then I have another problem to tell you about. (jk it's personal preference, but still get your gloves under the rain shield. Wind blast will not be enough to force water up your cuff against gravity, trust me on this)

HotCanadianChick posted:

This is a non-issue with modular helmets, and half the reason I own one.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 20, 2016

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Been a little lazy and been using some 100% brisker gloves as my drystars have been feeling way too clunky now there's less reason to use them (Its actually slightly dry in england!)

So in an effort to actually protect my hands, any recommendations on a non-gauntlet, tactile glove on the lower end of the price budget? I've been looking at the Icon line but I thought I'd ask the forums opinion.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Renaissance Robot posted:

This is a non-issue with modular helmets, and half the reason I own one.

MX helmet with goggles

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Is it "safe" to buy jackets/pants used, assuming they're in apparently good condition? I know you should generally buy stuff like helmets new because you can't tell if they're in OK shape from looking at them, but.. yeah.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Yeah, it's safe. As long as you're cool with grunge, ballsweat, and skin-cheese.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

EX250 Type R posted:

MX helmet with goggles

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

I like turtles posted:

Is it "safe" to buy jackets/pants used, assuming they're in apparently good condition? I know you should generally buy stuff like helmets new because you can't tell if they're in OK shape from looking at them, but.. yeah.
Buying gear (aside from helmets) is a pretty good idea, actually. Gear has basically no resale value (you have to find someone looking for that specific type of gear, who is your size, and happens to come across your ad sooner than like a loving year after it was posted), so you can get some slammin deals. Friend of mine trolls ebay and snags $20 older Rev'it jackets and poo poo. I bought my SMX Pluses used in 2010 and they're still going strong 6 years later.

edit: It's similar to always buying a trackbike used. You can find a fully decked bike for ~$6000 if you scour around a bit. Just Ohlins alone would cost you $3k if you bought it and put it on your existing bike.

edit2: case in point: brand new $1400 suit for $800.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 21, 2016

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I mail ordered a new helmet, and while I think it fits it's hard to tell because I get an instant headache from the smell of delivery truck exhaust that permeates the helmet. If I pull the liner/cheek pads and wash them is rev'zilla gonna accept the return if the helmet ends up being to small?

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
Are you sure it's not the fumes from paints and plastics curing? I really doubt a helmet within two boxes and a helmet bag smells like exhaust after a trip in a UPS truck.

Returning a helmet after doing something like washing the liner is kind of a dick move.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

If you have a better way to get the smell out, regardless of the origin of that smell, then I'd love to hear it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Smoke cigarettes till you get anosmia.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
Pop some ibuprofen and wear it until it fades? Or return it without washing it and get something else.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Get a helmet liner cleaning spray. It's a couple bucks for a can.

E: you can also use a fragrance free detergent so it doesn't smell washed if you return it.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 21, 2016

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Tell Revzilla your situation and ask them what you should do. If you aren't in a time crunch, you can 100% just swap it out. Otherwise, if you explain your situation, they'll be able to help you somehow.

Just don't put any part of the liner/cheekpads in the washer. It will ruin them.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
What, does it crush the foam or something?

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Lexorin posted:

I mail ordered a new helmet, and while I think it fits it's hard to tell because I get an instant headache from the smell of delivery truck exhaust that permeates the helmet. If I pull the liner/cheek pads and wash them is rev'zilla gonna accept the return if the helmet ends up being to small?

What helmet is it?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Really? I wash my liners pretty often, especially in the summer. They feel the same after :confused:

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

It might depend on the helmet. I have also washed liners without issue. I wouldn't put them in the dryer though.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Well, it's dependent on the helmet and how the subatomic particles of the universe feel like acting that day. hand wash is fine, but if you machine wash it's possible to permanently shift the padding and/or snaps around from the force.

I should have said it can ruin them, not that it will.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The majority on pads will be listed as machine washable. I still play it safe and use the expanding foam helmet cleaners

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Partial Octopus posted:

What helmet is it?

Arai Signet-q on account of my freakish skull shape.

I put it on my helmet/glove/boot drier thing for a few days. It doesn't give me an instant headache now at least. I havn't pulled the liner out but it doesn't seem to be the liner that stinks. Pretty sure astrolinthepork is right in that it's the plastic and glue.

It feels a bit tight, but I think at worst I'll just need to get a thinner liner, which they do sell.

I got the pro-shaed thingy as well, I've had issues being able to see in my old helmet (shoei qwest) while wearing sunglasses and getting a shitload of glare. so I hope having the shade outside the visor will mitigate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

What are some of your guys' absolute favorite pieces of gear? Stuff that you'd rave about to anyone who will listen.