Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

Speaking as someone that wears work boots 8-10 hours a day, there are other materials that are either composite or ceramic that have the same certs as "steel toe" (for CSA) at least but way lighter and more comfortable. My work boots don't weigh terribly much more than my runners.

I only ever wear heavy leather steel toed boots with a steel shank that weigh like 8 pounds a piece. It's a good leg workout.

They're also the only thing that stand up to my use. Most shoe manufacturers don't seem to take into account that the person wearing a size 17 shoe might be putting a little more force on the shoe than the person wearing a size 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Boot chat: I wear a pair of Redwing 9" logger/lineman boots in the winter. Bought my first pair in 2014 and they just wore out this year. Bought a second pair with steel toe and insulation, and if I were so inclined I could send the old pair back in to be resoled (the uppers are still fine; the leather welt that stitches to the sole is worn out and separating) if I want to spend about 50% of their value and wait a month.

I don't work on my feet all the time (I run IT at a manufacturing facility) but can agree they're very comfortable if you're going to be standing for long stretches.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Red Wing 2408 steel toes have been hands down the best boot I've worn. I replace insoles every year, but as long as you keep them cleaned and oiled they'll last for years. Don't skip on the oiling/conditioning, I do mine monthly, sometimes more often in the winter with all the slush and salt.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Anyone ever work with laser cutting machines? My company does a lot of Hastealloy-C and Monel and we just acquired a Co2 Trumpf laser. I can't seem to find anything online of people cutting these materials with a laser.. wondering if you guys have any input?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Polish posted:

Anyone ever work with laser cutting machines? My company does a lot of Hastealloy-C and Monel and we just acquired a Co2 Trumpf laser. I can't seem to find anything online of people cutting these materials with a laser.. wondering if you guys have any input?

Given its family lineage, don't bother with the specs. When you power it up, it will do nothing and then lie and say the material is already cut. The best cut, in fact, ever, in the world. Everybody says so.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

HandlingByJebus posted:

Given its family lineage, don't bother with the specs. When you power it up, it will do nothing and then lie and say the material is already cut. The best cut, in fact, ever, in the world. Everybody says so.

Haha I don't know much about the companies history but I assumed it had something to do with the orange man. I got a tour of their shops and holy hell they are impressive.. Six Sigma'd out the rear end. Even the epoxy floors are super clean and nice.. beats the pants off of my companys shop. They had two like 200' CNC Mills.. things were impressive.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Powershift posted:

Most shoe manufacturers don't seem to take into account that the person wearing a size 17 shoe might be putting a little more force on the shoe than the person wearing a size 8.

Not many yeti are affluent enough to buy work boots, to be fair.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Ya for real are you Shaq?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
My NutFucker 9000 is obsolete :(

Milwaukee now has a 1" M18 Fuel Cordless Impact

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Polish posted:

I run IT at a metalworking facility, we have an ancient third or fourth hand Cincinnati CO2 laser.

While I'm not familiar at all with what can be cut on it or how well I can bounce it off of the operator and see what he says. Sounds like those are nickel alloys?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Geoj posted:

I run IT at a metalworking facility, we have an ancient third or fourth hand Cincinnati CO2 laser.

While I'm not familiar at all with what can be cut on it or how well I can bounce it off of the operator and see what he says. Sounds like those are nickel alloys?

My initial reaction: don't bounce the laser off the operator, that can blind him!

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Geoj posted:

Hastealloy c is heavy nickel based and monel is copper based. I highly doubt it will cut the monel. I would appreciate it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Polish posted:

Hastealloy c is heavy nickel based and monel is copper based. I highly doubt it will cut the monel. I would appreciate it.

Monel is nickel based, it just has higher copper (29-40%) content.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I appreciate the admission that this fucker is too heavy for a normal person to use, so they put in a ring for a tool balancer right out of the box.

Apparently that's a "lanyard loop for safety tether".

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Mar 23, 2019

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I wonder if the weight specs for the Milwaukee if they included a battery or not, and if they did, which one. The powerful M18 batteries are not exactly lightweight either.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Safety Dance posted:

I appreciate the admission that this fucker is too heavy for a normal person to use, so they put in a ring for a tool balancer right out of the box.

Nah that's a cock ring.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Safety Dance posted:

It'll get used by ironworkers erecting heavy steel with giant bolts. They tie off a lot or all of their tools since a drop is tens to hundreds of feet.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Tethers for tools at height is a huge thing.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

slidebite posted:

I suppose I didn't consider that.

In other news, I went to Germany today.

And I did not leave empty-handed.

Edit: and I appreciate that buying expensive German Czech implements makes me a Tool Rebel instead of just a tool.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 23, 2019

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

slidebite posted:

Word, a hard hat can only protect so much.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

I suppose I didn't consider that.

In other news, I went to Germany today.

And I did not leave empty-handed.

Edit: and I appreciate that buying expensive German Czech implements makes me a Tool Rebel instead of just a tool.

Come for the chocolate stay for the tools. Now where’s the Knipex section?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Is this the only tool of this sort to have ever existed or am I just not using the right search terms?

The Craftsman is kind hampered by the huge battery and it’s discontinued, but if Milwaukee, Bosch, or Makita made one I’d consider buying it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

nitsuga posted:

Come for the chocolate stay for the tools. Now where’s the Knipex section?

Immediately to the left of that photo.

I used the Kraftform Kompakt to fix a connection on a ship the other day, and it really shone. Would have been nice if one of the slotted bits was narrower, but overall a solid buy.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Is this the only tool of this sort to have ever existed or am I just not using the right search terms?

The Craftsman is kind hampered by the huge battery and it’s discontinued, but if Milwaukee, Bosch, or Makita made one I’d consider buying it.
Makes me feel a little less crazy, I’ve thought about this exact thing a few times. I’m also interested in something like this, probably on the same brand lines.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Izzy Swan made a drill adapter for the through-wrench sockets, but it doesn't look like he's still making it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzaYjrZZlno

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Platystemon posted:

Pass through wrenches are nice and all but idk about needing a dedicated electric one, especially if its discontinued. is Sears still using the same battery style for newer models?

I have a giant set of the gearwrench pass through wrenches and I might use them once a year

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah I can't think of any situations where neither a deep well socket nor a ratcheting box wrench are sufficient. If you've got that many threads to deal with, you usually can spin it on by hand most of the way.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah I can't think of any situations where neither a deep well socket nor a ratcheting box wrench are sufficient. If you've got that many threads to deal with, you usually can spin it on by hand most of the way.

My thoughts exactly. I had no idea this existed (and my cordless stuff is C3).

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That Wera bottle opener is baller

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Izzy Swan made a drill adapter for the through-wrench sockets, but it doesn't look like he's still making it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzaYjrZZlno

we have something similar to these at my work, for drilling into hard to to reach areas of carbon fiber

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Polish posted:

Asked, he said in his experience nickel can't be cut with a CO2 laser because its too reflective . Not only will it not cut at all, but it can bounce the laser right back up into the cutting head and cause substantial damage.

He said you'll likely need a fiber laser to cut either.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Sounds like Polish may have some content for the horrible mechanical failures thread soon...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

nitsuga posted:

Any recommendations on work boots? I'm going to have a pretty stiff ankle from now on due to surgery and they've recommended getting some boots for work (around the house, in the garage, and some on the job too). I figure this is a good chance to get something that'll be good to do some work in and last, but I don't really have a clue, so I'm open to any recommendations. I don't have to have a steel toe, but something sturdy would be good.

I'm near a couple Red Wing stores, so I think I'll stop in and try on a couple, though those would definitely have to be worth the premium.

I gotta vouch for Red Wings. Mine have been fantastic. great support and once they break in they are incredibly comfy. Best work boots I've owned so far.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

I have needed a pass-through socket precisely once: a cheap electric bicycle with a rear hub motor and the motor cable coming out of the axle.

https://i.imgur.com/RwCDg3A.mp4

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
They're great for strut tops, too.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

MomJeans420 posted:

That Wera bottle opener is baller

My cousin just posted a picture of a bottle opener with a carved wooden handle shaped like a dick on facebook and was all "just using the bottle opener that (friend) brought me back from (tropical destination)"

My reply: "When you going to use it to open some bottles"?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

InitialDave posted:

They're great for strut tops, too.

And sway bar end links.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

wesleywillis posted:

My cousin just posted a picture of a bottle opener with a carved wooden handle shaped like a dick on facebook and was all "just using the bottle opener that (friend) brought me back from (tropical destination)"

My reply: "When you going to use it to open some bottles"?

:boom:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I'd like an electric open end wrench. When you've got something where you can only fit a wrench and you've got to do that thing where you flip the wrench every time you turn it to get it to line up with the flats. Instead you break out the electric open end wrench and it just turns it without moving the handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

donut posted:

I have needed a pass-through socket precisely once: a cheap electric bicycle with a rear hub motor and the motor cable coming out of the axle.

https://i.imgur.com/RwCDg3A.mp4

Well then. Deep enough recess that a ratcheting box wouldn't work, even. :golfclap: at least, not without greatly limiting the swing you can get.

StormDrain posted:

I'd like an electric open end wrench. When you've got something where you can only fit a wrench and you've got to do that thing where you flip the wrench every time you turn it to get it to line up with the flats. Instead you break out the electric open end wrench and it just turns it without moving the handle.

Astro Pneumatic makes ratcheting flare nut wrenches, though the reviews aren't great on Amazon.