Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

You know, you could do like the PO of my bike and find a battery that mostly fits and just cut the battery compartment.

Or what the PO of my Suzuki Across did, put a full size car battery in the helmet storage area (where the tank usually is) and run some heavy speaker wire to it. Then let it sit for years and leak battery acid all over :bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

NitroSpazzz posted:

Or what the PO of my Suzuki Across did, put a full size car battery in the helmet storage area (where the tank usually is) and run some heavy speaker wire to it. Then let it sit for years and leak battery acid all over :bang:

I had a toyota starlet running a goldwing/big bmw battery with perfectly cut wooden blocks to shore up the spaces around it so that the clamp and tray would still hold it perfectly. The amount of effort they went to was astounding.

Never let me down though.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Rode an XJ6 today. My CBR125 feels small now :smith:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wootcannon posted:

Rode an XJ6 today. My CBR125 feels small now :smith:

It is, but it handles better, so there's that

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.
Best part of fixing everybody else's bike or doing their tuneups is getting to ride all your friends' bikes. Fixed a Shadow for someone this weekend. I hate forward controls; but that is a fun little bike all the same. The aftermarket exhaust they have on this one actually sounds really nice. I hated the LPSL attitude even when I rode Harleys; but I still can't resist blatting my way through a tunnel/underpass whenever I fix one for someone. There's gotta be some primal center of the male brain that gets tickled by knowing you're being noisy.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

EvilSlug posted:

Best part of fixing everybody else's bike or doing their tuneups is getting to ride all your friends' bikes. Fixed a Shadow for someone this weekend. I hate forward controls; but that is a fun little bike all the same. The aftermarket exhaust they have on this one actually sounds really nice. I hated the LPSL attitude even when I rode Harleys; but I still can't resist blatting my way through a tunnel/underpass whenever I fix one for someone. There's gotta be some primal center of the male brain that gets tickled by knowing you're being noisy.

Yeah. I rode by a big flock of gulls and couldn't resist revving the motor to scare them away. Some people looked over in quasi-disgust at me. I almost felt bad about it. Almost.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
If I'm ever heading into central London I go quite a bit out of my way to park in the Chinatown car park because the acoustics are so good down there. It's probably saved me a fortune because I realise how good my stock pipes actually sound (one disadvantage of underseat pipes seems to be I'm the only one who doesn't get the full aural effect).

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
My pharmacy is right by a mall with a large overhang over a parking lot. I always go through there and rev the engine—it's the parking lot for the DMV so there are always people hanging out and lookin' at me stupid when I do it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

n8r posted:

You'd be amazed how much faster you can read CA without all the z3n fillibustering:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/stats.php?statid=7&t_forumid=236&all=#jump

Remember that period of time when z3n ragequit CA for some reason and the forums were a happier/less chippy place. That was pretty rad.

#69 :quagmire:

Edit for content: Since I'm not going to India in November, it turns out I've got a shitload of vacation time. I'm thinking of a trip to Del Rio, TX at the end of October to visit my brother. I'd be going from San Francisco. Any recommendations on route? I'm thinking about 3 days each way would do it right.

jujube
Dec 11, 2004

*Pain!* *Pain!* *Laughter!*
http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/rcv-road-bike-at-milan-show/23613.html

I think it's cool Honda is finally innovating again and the idea of a new V4 Honda is super sexy but I don't quite get why it has to cost 40.000,- (maybe 80.000,-?) pounds.
The competition (BMW, Kawasaki and Ducati) has already built similar bikes years ago with the same specs for 1/3 of the price.

If Honda truly wants to rock the boat they'll have to at least price it somewhere near its rivals, right now it's kind of disappointing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

V4 GROM :dukedog:

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

x2

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jujube posted:

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/rcv-road-bike-at-milan-show/23613.html

I think it's cool Honda is finally innovating again and the idea of a new V4 Honda is super sexy but I don't quite get why it has to cost 40.000,- (maybe 80.000,-?) pounds.
The competition (BMW, Kawasaki and Ducati) has already built similar bikes years ago with the same specs for 1/3 of the price.

If Honda truly wants to rock the boat they'll have to at least price it somewhere near its rivals, right now it's kind of disappointing.

Reminder that Aprilia have recovered from bankruptcy, then developed, raced, won, revised, and won again with a V4 superbike in the time that Honda have been teasing the world with the possibility of a new V4. The RSV4R even has gear-driven cams as an option!

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

The weather was really nice this weekend, so of course people dusted the cobwebs off the bikes they never ride and crashed all over the place.

Here's a couple:

http://northcountrynow.com/news/woman-flown-burlington-following-motorcycle-hay-bind-crash-096775

This chick hit a farm implement, apparently because she was distracted by "something".

http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Man-Thrown-From-Motorcycle-In-Crash-225840551.html

This dude was on an awesome twisty road with nice elevation changes, but admittedly poor road surface. I took a couple dudes up this same road on Saturday to hooligan around on. Somebody crashes their bike on it about once a year (we have a small riding population).

Please stop hurting yourselves just because the sun comes out. This is like the opposite of the vitamin-D deficiency that people get up here in the winter, except way more deadly :doh:

Not sure why I'm posting this, must be a slower day at work than first imagined.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
You from upstate NY? I was over there on sunday at a hotdog stand off I87 and a guy said there was a massive multibike crash the day before. More than one fatality. But I can't find anything online about it. You know anything about that? At the intersection of 9 and I87 at exit 30.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Pfft, who needs proper pics when selling a biek?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

They were obviously jerking off when taking the photo. Who wouldn't?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

jujube posted:

If it's really MotoGP-based/inspired then the only recent thing comparable is the Ducati Desmosedici RR, which was about 40,000 GBP/$73,000 USD. It's a halo bike, not meant to be high in value or practicality. I wonder how far from the GP bike it would be.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

You from upstate NY? I was over there on sunday at a hotdog stand off I87 and a guy said there was a massive multibike crash the day before. More than one fatality. But I can't find anything online about it. You know anything about that? At the intersection of 9 and I87 at exit 30.

Yeah. Had not heard about the one on 87, that sucks.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

If it's really MotoGP-based/inspired then the only recent thing comparable is the Ducati Desmosedici RR, which was about 40,000 GBP/$73,000 USD. It's a halo bike, not meant to be high in value or practicality. I wonder how far from the GP bike it would be.

I know it's just some bikemag's render but I can't unsee this

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008
Haven't ventured into this thread in a while, so apologies if this has been discussed already... KTM 1290 Super Duke R. Jesus, looks ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h1e9oulMd8

180bhp stock?

http://www.1290superduker.com/cms/#techspecs

The first bike I've lusted for since owning the 12' Speed Triple

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
What's goin' on with those front forks?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

thylacine posted:

What's goin' on with those front forks?

Looks like remote reservoir shocks. Interesting.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KTM 1290 Superduke R: powered by dubstep

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Ready to wubdub.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Snowdens Secret posted:

I know it's just some bikemag's render but I can't unsee this

In TT3D there is an R1 with the scream logo at the back... it looks kinda cool. I'll take a screenshot after class if no one beats me to it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Today I encountered the best rider I have ever seen. He was in his 40's and on a plain-Jane GSX-650F and I could barely stay in sight of him. His riding was perfect. It was like all of those perfect riding habits and ideal postures and so on that everyone rambles about on here condensed into one guy, it was flawless.

Ride on you crazy old man.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Slavvy posted:

He was in his 40's ......Ride on you crazy old man.
:mad:

:smith:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

You are as old as you feel. :unsmith:

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
I haven't visited this site since May but I'm glad to be back.

I've changed career paths a bit and now I get to play with all sorts of fun things.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

_Dav posted:

Haven't ventured into this thread in a while, so apologies if this has been discussed already... KTM 1290 Super Duke R. Jesus, looks ridiculous.

That's the concept version they had running around, the production model is more conventional in the suspension, exhaust and paintjob categories

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Who have you guys used for custom decals? I'd really like to get a few Scooty Puff Jr. (maybe Sr too) stickers made.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Hahaha, I've been thinking of doing the same thing. There's a goon in sa mart that does custom stickers I think. I've also got the sr. one in an enormous size if you want.

WreckSov
Aug 26, 2011
Oh man, I want that scooty jr decal. Please let us know where you end up getting them and post some pics!

chia
Dec 23, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

That's the concept version they had running around, the production model is more conventional in the suspension, exhaust and paintjob categories

These are from the production model:

132 kW (180 HP) at 8.870 rounds/min, dry weight 189kg.

Goddamn I want one and I just bought a new bike last summer.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Am I the only one that thinks it looks like a loving mess? The tail in particular, why bother giving it a stupid and pointless little bee-sting tail when you know you're just going to have to put a massive great plastic number plate holder on to make it legal? Doesn't look like there's anywhere else you'd be able to fit a plate either. Combined with the sudden switch from black and orange to white and orange it looks like they've just slapped the tail from a completely unrelated bike on the back.

The headlight surrounds and air scoops look really nasty and out of place too. It just seems to be trying a bit too hard.

(Mind you I think I might be going through some sort of biker menopause because it's been a few years since any new bike has really excited me, looks-wise.)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
182hp is.... unexpected. I bet its a handful. gently caress yeah.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Am I the only one that thinks it looks like a loving mess? The tail in particular, why bother giving it a stupid and pointless little bee-sting tail when you know you're just going to have to put a massive great plastic number plate holder on to make it legal? Doesn't look like there's anywhere else you'd be able to fit a plate either. Combined with the sudden switch from black and orange to white and orange it looks like they've just slapped the tail from a completely unrelated bike on the back.

The headlight surrounds and air scoops look really nasty and out of place too. It just seems to be trying a bit too hard.

(Mind you I think I might be going through some sort of biker menopause because it's been a few years since any new bike has really excited me, looks-wise.)

I'm sorry but no performance bike manufacturer in the past decade has given a poo poo about the numberplate and everyone makes a tail tidy of some sort eventually. All the manufacturers know this, all the buyers know this, why don't you know this?

I agree on the headlight though, looks like poo poo. The side shrouds were similar on the first superduke. My main beef is with the utterly monstrous exhaust. I know it has to have a cat and meet regs and so on but seriously, ducati would at least try hide it behind a belly pan or something.

BlackMK4 posted:

182hp is.... unexpected. I bet its a handful. gently caress yeah.

Also this is an extremely redeeming quality.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

Also this is an extremely redeeming quality.

Especially combined with the weight. Swap out for a titanium exhaust and remove a few bits for lightness (only KTM thumpers do this for you) and I reckon you'd be pretty much 1:1 horsepower/kilograms. Which as any fule kno, is a recipe for fun.

Also:

dat instrument :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I'm sorry but no performance bike manufacturer in the past decade has given a poo poo about the numberplate and everyone makes a tail tidy of some sort eventually. All the manufacturers know this, all the buyers know this, why don't you know this?

But as I specifically pointed out there's nowhere a tail tidy can go unless you also pair it with a very non-standard and probably illegal plate placement/size/shape/angle, and it'll still look like dogshit because of that stupid tail unit.

Actually I've realised what it is that really bugs me is that there's no flow to the design. Like those headlight shrouds - they don't line up with the forks or the front of the light, neither do they continue the line of the tank or the air scoops. They don't match any other line on the bike. Compare it to the older Super Duke:

See how there's an edge on the shroud that lines up with the line of the top of the tank, and the bottom of it looks like it's a continuation of the scoop, and how the slight curve at the top goes parallel to the line of the top of the tank?

Elsewhere, see how the lines of the top and bottom of the front seat converge at the end of the tail unit, and the sub-frame for the tail unit is concealed? These are all small touches but they're important to making a bike look like a cohesive unit rather than some poo poo doodled on the back of an envelope. In particular they help with the stance of the bike - the old Super Duke looks like a sprinter coming out of the blocks to me, the new one looks like someone tripping over.

Also what kind of philistine goes to the effort and expense of putting a single-sided swingarm on a bike then puts a loving huge dustbin of an exhaust in front of it? Why is there a 2-axis bend in the bottom rail of the subframe just after the weld point for the triangulation rather than on the weld point? Why even put a 2-axis bend there, it looks poo poo and makes the whole tail unit look weird? What the gently caress is that tea tray at the front of the engine for? Why do the mirrors and master cylinders look like they came off a mid-90s Japanese bike? What kind of lunatic thinks a 4-way D-pad is a good input device on a motorbike? What's that lump of plastic sticking out from the frame where your knees would go? What's the deal with the massive exposed screw-heads and washers in the dash surround? Why do the indicators stick out of the top of the headlight unit rather than the side? The more I look at it the more there are baffling and downright stupid design choices that aren't for practicality or ease of manufacture, they're there because someone thought they looked cool.

Like I say, it's a loving mess that looks like it was designed by a committee that never actually met.