Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Beaver-vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm a belevear!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guardians of the Galaxy 3: it just struck me that even though he doesn't know it at the time, the High Evolutionary's plan literally is rocket surgery.

E: It's also literally brain surgery and rocket science. Truly he was a Renaissance man.

Jedit has a new favorite as of 13:00 on Nov 2, 2023

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
In The Terminator, the titular terminator is missing its eyebrows for most of the movie after having them burned off in one scene.
I think its hair also changes to look like it got singed.
It looks really dumb.

In 8 Mile, Eminem implies that the film's main antagonist can't be a proper gangsta because his real name is Clarence.
Eminem has clearly never seen RoboCop.
This is one of the many subtle ways the movie shows how miserable his life in the trailer park really is.

Also, The Terminator and RoboCop make an excellent double feature.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Doesn't 8 mile take place in Detroit too? Is 8 mile secret Clarence Bodiker's originally story?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

bunnyofdoom posted:

Doesn't 8 mile take place in Detroit too? Is 8 mile secret Clarence Bodiker's originally story?

weirdly, 8 mile takes place in minneapolis (toronto for the indoor scenes)

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Papa Doc/Clarence retroactively being a young Boddicker could work.
Don't think his last name is ever mentioned in 8 Mile and RoboCop obviously takes place in the future.

And Anthony Mackie playing a younger Kurtwood Smith would probably still be more convincing than that time he played Tupac.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Bk. posted:

Papa Doc/Clarence retroactively being a young Boddicker could work.
Don't think his last name is ever mentioned in 8 Mile and RoboCop obviously takes place in the future.

Robocop takes place in the distant future year of 2028

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oh man gunkata is so cool in a movie

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

whoa holy poo poo, thats uhh the internal affairs scene, or hard boiled? when they raid the old warehouse with the drums and the explosions

remake in equilibrium around 55 mins in

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Gunkata fuckin owns

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Robocop takes place in the distant future year of 2028

Christ :psyduck:

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
In The Stranger, Orson Welles plays a Nazi hiding out in Conneticut.

He's done a good job of hiding his identity and keeps a tight leash on his appearance and ideals, blending in seamlessly into the community. When the cracks start to show and he's losing his self-control, losing a grip on the mask he's had for years, he absent-mindedly doodles a swastika on a notepad while on the phone before realizing what he's doing and covers it up.

Thought it was a good way to show that he's losing the handle on his made-up persona.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
At the end of Resident Evil, Alice gets captured and then it cuts to a short sequel hook epilogue.
It is never stated how long she was held captive, but it can be inferred by more of her roots showing under the dyed blonde hair than during the rest of the movie.

Side note, can somebody please remind me what the current thread title is in reference to?
Besides the Duke Nukem Ventrilo bit, of course.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Bk. posted:

Side note, can somebody please remind me what the current thread title is in reference to?
Besides the Duke Nukem Ventrilo bit, of course.

Alec Baldwin's scene in Glengarry Glen Ross where he pulls a pair of brass balls out of his briefcase as a prop for his dumb motivational speaker sales speech.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

Alec Baldwin's scene in Glengarry Glen Ross where he pulls a pair of brass balls out of his briefcase as a prop for his dumb motivational speaker sales speech.

Lmao, right, that.
Thanks a bunch.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Was watching Christine (1983) for the umpteenth time & noticed a nice little touch I overlooked before: as Arnie restores/repairs the car, her odometer starts rolling backwards as if she's getting younger.

At the start, when Dennis points out the mileage, she's at 93,475
Later around the 38:31 mark, we get a glimpse & it's dropped to 88,491
After the rainy drive-in scene with Leigh, he drops her off & when he starts the car, it's 76,132
When Arnie & Dennis are driving around drinking beer (1:28:40), the odometer is not only at 68,462...but you actually see it moving backward in a couple shots

I'm a sucker for old movies that hide stuff in plain sight like that, plus the practical effects were awesome. John Carpenter rules.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Not subtle but the image of the flaming car chasing that one guy backed by Carpenter’s score is loving incredible.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Was watching Christine (1983) for the umpteenth time & noticed a nice little touch I overlooked before: as Arnie restores/repairs the car, her odometer starts rolling backwards as if she's getting younger.

At the start, when Dennis points out the mileage, she's at 93,475
Later around the 38:31 mark, we get a glimpse & it's dropped to 88,491
After the rainy drive-in scene with Leigh, he drops her off & when he starts the car, it's 76,132
When Arnie & Dennis are driving around drinking beer (1:28:40), the odometer is not only at 68,462...but you actually see it moving backward in a couple shots

I'm a sucker for old movies that hide stuff in plain sight like that, plus the practical effects were awesome. John Carpenter rules.

This is an explicit point in the book. Artie mentions it as something he didn't fix when he fixed everything else because he thought it was cool; also that it actually moves back two or three miles for every mile traveled. But it is indeed very cool that Carpenter managed to include it.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

The other was the little callout from Darnell as the car's being fixed - "look how cock-eyed he works". Been a while but I remember parts of the book where Arnie was fixing Christine but there were parts he didn't recall restoring (e.g. the new windshield wipers on a broke windshield, only half the grille being fixed). Cool little nod & works so well because you just think Arnie's an inexperienced builder so he's fixing what he can find/afford to, rather than Christine explicitly helping him.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I always confuse King's monster car stories

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Christine was the one where the book and the movie (directed by John Carpenter) came out in 1983.

Maximum Overdrive was mostly written for the screen (but based on a short story of his called “Trucks” that was eventually made into a TV movie) and directed by an insane coked out King in 1985.

I never read From a Buick 8.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
From a Buick 8 is interesting. It's more of a mockumentary than anything else, and the evil car isn't explained. It's pro cop, but otherwise good.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
from a buick 8 is an anthology of stories relayed by a group of state troopers to a rookie about a vehicle they impounded a few decades ago that, at first glance, appears to be a buick but, on close inspection, not only isnt even actually a car, but might in fact be some kind of nth dimensional pressure release valve. so technically it isnt about an evil car since the buick-thing is only car-shaped

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BOOTY-ADE posted:

The other was the little callout from Darnell as the car's being fixed - "look how cock-eyed he works". Been a while but I remember parts of the book where Arnie was fixing Christine but there were parts he didn't recall restoring (e.g. the new windshield wipers on a broke windshield, only half the grille being fixed). Cool little nod & works so well because you just think Arnie's an inexperienced builder so he's fixing what he can find/afford to, rather than Christine explicitly helping him.

Not only that - Darnell points out that he doesn't know of any car that has a two-piece grille. So, how did Arnie fix half of it?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I’d never heard of From a Buick 8 and it sounds right up my alley. :tipshat:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's a good book, because it doesn't connect to the Dark Tower at all despite being very Dark Tower.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Another thing I forgot to add - pay close attention to the drive-in scene where Leigh gets saved by a stranger when she's choking. The guy giving her the heimlich is wearing the EXACT same sweater/robe The Dude wears in Big Lebowski. You can only see part of the arm/shoulder but the pattern is identical.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
It's excellent because it's not explained.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Philippe posted:

It's a good book, because it doesn't connect to the Dark Tower at all despite being very Dark Tower.

Speaking of the Dark Tower, I always felt that John Coffey should have been from there/that realm.

Also, while I'm on the topic of The Green Mile, the final scene in the book (the bus crash) should have been in the movie. :colbert:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's also apparently canon that Pennywise catches a ride in Christine at one point.

I think Christine probably isn't far off of either of them as being something which is mostly only cosmetically pretending to be a car.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Torquemada posted:

It's excellent because it's not explained.

That's generally King's whole thing.

Which if you can get behind, great. For me, I struggle with it, because while King is not interested in providing explanations, the characters in his books also aren't interested in finding one. If a portal opened up in my pantry, it's one thing to go on an adventure through it, but I don't think I'd ever stop asking or wondering or trying to figure out why there is a portal in my pantry. King's characters just shrug it off and go on to experience some fantasy horror.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

credburn posted:

Which if you can get behind, great. For me, I struggle with it, because while King is not interested in providing explanations, the characters in his books also aren't interested in finding one. If a portal opened up in my pantry, it's one thing to go on an adventure through it, but I don't think I'd ever stop asking or wondering or trying to figure out why there is a portal in my pantry. King's characters just shrug it off and go on to experience some fantasy horror.

Eh. If you focus too much on why the portal is there, you spend less time exploring the portal. You puzzle over it too long, and the portal might go away. If it's a portal to Hell, maybe it's good that it goes away before you go in or something comes out. If it goes to Narnia, that's a huge missed opportunity. The why isn't as interesting as the Who, Where, and What, and maybe When if 11/22/63 is anything to go by. What is it? A portal that takes you to 1963. Who built it? Who cares? Have you seen the price of meat here? I'm stocking up, and passing the savings on to my customers.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
to be fair, most of the time King's characters are not really in a position to just ignore whatever's happening around/to them and look at it academically

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Why would I want to go to Narnia? They've also got Jesus there but he's a lion? That sounds even worse.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
He doesn't even need to summon bears, just mauls you himself. You REALLY don't want to try to sell anything in one of his temples, you not only will lose the table, you'll lose your face.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Narnia sounds awesome actually. I like the rat that stabs people

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

flatluigi posted:

to be fair, most of the time King's characters are not really in a position to just ignore whatever's happening around/to them and look at it academically

The Outsider was enjoyable for that.

E. I don’t actually like much of what happens post the Coach’s death besides all the small town emotional drama. I like the idea that the Sheriff encountered the impossible and has to live with the consequences of using logic against it.

N. Senada has a new favorite as of 08:28 on Dec 10, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If anything the idea of fiction where people try to analyse supernatural/weird things and figure out how they work has always been on the more niche side of things, in no small part because a lot of the time they can't be expected to have any idea where to even start. That said, it is often interesting when characters are shown analysing or discussing something, how it works and what it does, especially when they're trying to figure out what the gently caress to do about it.

That said, I feel a lot of Stephen King stories in particular run more on a kind of nightmare logic, where the weird horrible insane poo poo is almost mundane and often serving as a metaphor, or at least what it actually is isn't the important part of the story.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Narnia sounds awesome actually. I like the rat that stabs people

Narnia is kind of a weird one given it's basically a transitional stage between 'fantasy' as we know it and older style wacky fairy tale/fantastic journey fiction. I suppose you got Lovecraft and Conan, but those usually aren't too concerned with ongoing continuity and worldbuilding, and the old Oz stories more lean towards fairy tale logic despite also being an ongoing narrative. The idea of the fantasy world being its own fully contained setting with its own metaphysics and history without having direct ties to the 'real' world seems to have taken a while to really settle. (and of course, both Conan and Lord of the Rings nominally take place in the distant past, in the mists of prehistory)

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 09:36 on Dec 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

credburn posted:

I would argue that's actually a strength of King's, insofar as his explanations are usually kind of dumb or silly -- you get stuff like "The Mangler" where the explanation is just "someone accidentally dropped something in an industrial laundry machine that completed an arcane ritual to make it animate and evil," which is an okay dark joke but not interesting or compelling at all. I suspect he has enough self-awareness as a writer that he's deliberately writing stories with sufficient immediacy of action that he can avoid coming up with an explanation that won't be satisfying anyway.