Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I was skimming through the thread, uninterested until the painted nails anecdote.

Ok, I've got to give this a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah alright that sounds pretty charming.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

As much as I want Slayer Shock to be good I can't recommend it right now. The game has all these systems like stealth, element resistances and weaknesses, debuff weapons, perks ... and you don't need any of it, even on Expert season 5. All you need to do is sprint and circle strafe without stopping and the entire game falls apart. Even the Rescue missions which are supposed encourage stealth because vampires will try to kill hostages when they see you can be beaten this way. Then if you DO use weapons the vampires are weak to they get constantly stunned, making them even more trivial to fight. It all feels like the game was never playtested.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Internet Friend posted:

As much as I want Slayer Shock to be good I can't recommend it right now. The game has all these systems like stealth, element resistances and weaknesses, debuff weapons, perks ... and you don't need any of it, even on Expert season 5. All you need to do is sprint and circle strafe without stopping and the entire game falls apart. Even the Rescue missions which are supposed encourage stealth because vampires will try to kill hostages when they see you can be beaten this way. Then if you DO use weapons the vampires are weak to they get constantly stunned, making them even more trivial to fight. It all feels like the game was never playtested.

Circle strafing only really works if you get the agile bracelet. Once you have it you can circle strafe most mobs faster than they can turn since you move like a lightning bolt. Even then, on the harder difficulties you'll occasionally get mobbed far quicker and get pinned down before they rip you apart. The Tarrares are especially obnoxious since they'll cheerfully turn themselves into walls you run into before taking off 50-60 HP as they charge you.

Vampires almost immediately sprint for the hostages to murder them on expert too. So you need to either sneak or abuse the hell out of the agile perk bracelet (You wear your perks on your wrist.) to just run past and release them as quick as possible.

Even so it is a bit of an issue. Getting the agile bracelet means you can turn into some batshit insane half-vampire ninja that takes out entire hordes of enemies with a katana. I think it's getting patched out since a bunch of people complained about it and it's kind of a broken as hell item. Assuming it does get fixed agile will probably get a nerf in buffing speed to fix it since you can literally move faster than some mobs can turn.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 2, 2016

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

The agile bracelet and silver katana are broken but you don't even need them. I just made it to Expert S4 finale with no upgrades, bracelets, and just using the stake before being killed because the Finale was in Old Town which has pillars that make it harder to fight in. Vampires don't go after hostages until they're wounded (they heal from them) so as long as you run and tag the hostage first you're fine. If you really wanted to cheese it you would lose everything but the farmland map since that's the easiest one.

I did notice this time there's an option to turn the minimap off which goes a long way to make the game harder. What it really needs though is a stamina meter.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Last day to grab Sproggiwood at $1.99 on mobile.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sproggiwood/id625411864

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.freeholdgames.sproggiwood

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Aw dang, I didn't realize it was on sale! But it's back up to $5 on the iOS store. Guess I'll hold off for a bit on getting a second copy. It'll probably get bought next time I go on vacation and need a distraction.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Aw dang, I didn't realize it was on sale! But it's back up to $5 on the iOS store. Guess I'll hold off for a bit on getting a second copy. It'll probably get bought next time I go on vacation and need a distraction.

Oh I must have set it a day early, I'll bump it back, should propagate shortly.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Unormal posted:

Oh I must have set it a day early, I'll bump it back, should propagate shortly.

Awesome, thanks! Got a copy; guess it's time for a replay.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Awesome, thanks! Got a copy; guess it's time for a replay.

Savage no buying anything from the shop, I hope.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Unormal posted:

It will start out that way. We'll see how long it takes me to crumble...

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I grabbed it too, looks fun!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Unormal posted:

Whelp. Stomped through the first dungeon, blitzed the hell out of Big Ick, then got into an ill-advised fight with some black slimes. Wised up and fled for the treasure chest, but got killed on the turn I opened it. 10/10 would die again.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ok I bought it :3:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Captain Foo posted:

:hfive::hfive::hfive:

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
The only problem I have with Sproggiwood is that it refuses to close when I quit the game. (PC)

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Any of you chaps played rogue wizards? Recently released on steam. Isometric rogue like with a town building meta game.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Captain Foo posted:

This. Remember loving the beta, no clue what took me so long.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
At last, upon the hypest of Hype, The Ground Gives Way is back from the annals of history that was Update #7 with an immensely shiny new v2.0 and vigor for the future!

http://www.thegroundgivesway.com/

quote:

Summary of Highlights in v2:

I will give a small overview and summary of the biggest changes in the game with links to blog posts where you can read more about them:

You can now see all attributes and attacks of each monster (post)
Monsters now have named attacks, their magic and ranged attacks now works like they do for the player (using Mp and ammo) (post)
Monster can have several attacks instead of exactly just one (post, interesting consequences)
Light in the dungeon is now explicit instead of implicit (braziers lit the dungeon) (post)
There are now surprise attacks in the game (post)
The “light” attribute is replaced by a “vision” attribute. Line of Sight is no longer symmetric with monsters. (post)
You now have energy points as a new resource that restricts how much you can swap weapons, you can also use to identify things with (post)
Enchanted equipment is now unknown when you find it, and there are cursed equipment in the dungeon (post)
You can now hear nearby noisy monsters (post)
There are a new category of items: tools (post)
The game has a completely new tutorial and better tutorial system (post)
You are either in “exploring” or “combat” mode, each mode have their own rules (post)
Viewing maps now give an overview of notable features (post)

There are also some new interesting things that I haven’t blogged about :

Almost all situations where you would be blocked by water or lava is gone. This should make the game much more fair to the point that I might remove the disclaimer in the FAQ.
The drowning effect has been removed, as well as water breathing (bye sea-pearls…). The reasoning is that it was annoying and binary: water was either an extremely huge threat, or no threat except that it could rust equipment. There is still rusting in the game though… there are rust traps.
There’s an option to change the colour theme of the panel frames. New default colours for v2 (it is possible to change back to the original colours for those who wish)!

The chance for absolutely impossible games, even with as potentially brisk as a game can be, finally getting a big reduction towards zero is a huge boon.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

ExiledTinkerer posted:

At last, upon the hypest of Hype, The Ground Gives Way is back from the annals of history that was Update #7 with an immensely shiny new v2.0 and vigor for the future!

http://www.thegroundgivesway.com/

The chance for absolutely impossible games, even with as potentially brisk as a game can be, finally getting a big reduction towards zero is a huge boon.

This seems interesting, but the default font size was ridiculously small at least on my screen. Here's how to fix it:
  • Right click on the executable and select 'Create shortcut'
  • Right click on the shortcut and select 'Properties'
  • Select 'Font' tab; the font and the font size can be chosen there
  • Run the game from the shortcut instead of the exe

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
That game I was on about however many pages back with scant detail turned out to be called Overland.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Ah Map posted:

That game I was on about however many pages back with scant detail turned out to be called Overland.

Looks interesting. Thanks for the recommendation.

----

Roguelike thoughts

I was watching Dungeonman Dev's talk at the roguelike celebration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiaLUbW1Brg

madjackmcmad, discusses a great deal about the themes of legends and legacy in Dungeonmans. He discusses creative uses of the bones.txt file to make successive games feel like progression in a world trod by forgotten legends and now retired (or failed) heroes.

I've been playing a lot of Galactic Civilizations 3 lately and thinking about tech trees: how to make them interesting from game to game, how to differentiate yet balance racial tech trees from each other, and tech trees with randomization in Sins of a Solar Empire.

Then there was this comment in the Qud thread. One goon found a Snapjaw camp and noticed the forge and anvil that sometimes will be present. I always really liked this detail, but from an anthropological point of view: it show the Snapjaws have some semblance of culture and forge/rework their own weapons.

Then the gent said something I had not considered.

Pumpkinreaper posted:

So I keep running into areas with forges and anvils with bronze ingots nearby, is there a way to use them or are they there for flavour/not implemented fully yet?

What if...from game to game the snapjaws's tech level would increase?

More abstractly, madjackmcmad discussed in Dungeonmans, a mechanic that makes an enemy into a named character and then usually makes the enemy into the lord of a location (tower or such).

Combine these two ideas.

A player dies. Depending on his most powerful/most USED item (as a function of entities killed per item or turns worn), the enemy that killed him aquires his most powerful item. It doesn't stop there. The enemy's race acquires a certain number of research points in a tech tree that corresponds to the item acquired by the enemy.

For example, you have Sword of Badass and die to a snapjaw. Snapjaw race gains X research points in the Melee tech tree (or sword or whatever). Next game all snapjaws have upgraded melee weapons. Or perhaps they can unlock player skills like sword skills.

The enemies become reactively better as you do.

...but what kind of roguelike theme would this fit in?

Only things I could think of was some sort of invasion where the invaders get smarter and hardier or the enemies are supposed to be adaptable (think Zerg, Borg or Tyranids) to the player.

This might work well in a Space Hulk type roguelike perhaps.

Or an humans vs Terminator final war roguelike?

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 5, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Interesting, but it seems like it would encourage flushing the 'bones' files eventually if the game becomes too difficult to start thanks to the improved enemies. An alternate way to do it (though it's more roguelite-ish than roguelike-ish) might be to have the player's next character BE from that faction, receiving the bonuses that the hero of your race gained from the weapon they recovered from that ghastly player. From there, you can let all the factions continuously stack the bonuses as they all improve against each other from the player dying for each of them over and over, until one side emerges victoriously.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The online mode for the new Deus Ex game ratchets up the difficulty with each victory and complicates moving it back down by gating that behind rare items.

I'm not opposed to the idea of the world evolving, but the mechanism behind this march needs to give the players more tools to compensate, and needs clear ways that you can smash enemy progress.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The Big News continues!

Larn, good old Larn, has finally arrived at a feature complete v14.0 after all these years---just polish and fixes from here as sussed out.

https://github.com/atsb/RL_M/releases

But, what of progress boldly into new horizons? That's where Larn-NEXT will enter unto the fray where precious few and scattered other attempts have trodden~...

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Helical Nightmares posted:

Looks interesting. Thanks for the recommendation.

----

Roguelike thoughts

I was watching Dungeonman Dev's talk at the roguelike celebration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiaLUbW1Brg

madjackmcmad, discusses a great deal about the themes of legends and legacy in Dungeonmans. He discusses creative uses of the bones.txt file to make successive games feel like progression in a world trod by forgotten legends and now retired (or failed) heroes.

I've been playing a lot of Galactic Civilizations 3 lately and thinking about tech trees: how to make them interesting from game to game, how to differentiate yet balance racial tech trees from each other, and tech trees with randomization in Sins of a Solar Empire.

Then there was this comment in the Qud thread. One goon found a Snapjaw camp and noticed the forge and anvil that sometimes will be present. I always really liked this detail, but from an anthropological point of view: it show the Snapjaws have some semblance of culture and forge/rework their own weapons.

Then the gent said something I had not considered.

What if...from game to game the snapjaws's tech level would increase?

More abstractly, madjackmcmad discussed in Dungeonmans, a mechanic that makes an enemy into a named character and then usually makes the enemy into the lord of a location (tower or such).

Combine these two ideas.

A player dies. Depending on his most powerful/most USED item (as a function of entities killed per item or turns worn), the enemy that killed him aquires his most powerful item. It doesn't stop there. The enemy's race acquires a certain number of research points in a tech tree that corresponds to the item acquired by the enemy.

For example, you have Sword of Badass and die to a snapjaw. Snapjaw race gains X research points in the Melee tech tree (or sword or whatever). Next game all snapjaws have upgraded melee weapons. Or perhaps they can unlock player skills like sword skills.

The enemies become reactively better as you do.

...but what kind of roguelike theme would this fit in?

Only things I could think of was some sort of invasion where the invaders get smarter and hardier or the enemies are supposed to be adaptable (think Zerg, Borg or Tyranids) to the player.

This might work well in a Space Hulk type roguelike perhaps.

Or an humans vs Terminator final war roguelike?

Perhaps it might work better in a faction based system. Rather than all snapjaws getting an upgrade, a small group of them get an upgrade. Give different races a base tech level that determines what kind of gear they come with and then upgrade small groups of them based on things that happen. Every time a hero is killed the faction that got him gets an upgrade + the exact one that killed him gets a bigger upgrade, a couple of factions emerge at random, maybe a faction or two rolls over another one and absorbs their tech and such so that it's not a straight linear increase of difficulty when you die but a system where you might end up with a big, nasty group of enemies but you can avoid them if you need to, and eventually they might get ganged up on by lesser factions and taken care of for you.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Really enjoying Sproggiwood. I can get away with playing it at work.

Those are my favorite kind of games.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

chrono.gg's deal of the day is Sword of the Stars: The Pit and its dlc for 2.50$.

If you want to see how not to do an item degradation system first-hand, here's your chance. The crafting is bad, the reliance on the RNG above all else is bad, and it's a bad game.

I'm mostly linking it here because it is one of the very few sci-fi roguelikes out there, and while it's bad, it's kind of entertaining to see a game where your starting gear is the most powerful gear that you need to hoard carefully so you don't break it early.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Well regarding sci-fi roguelikes there's AlienRL made by the DoomRL guy, but I never put much time into it. Then there's Cogmind and Gearhead which also has a sequel I never tried out. Caves of Qud is also a little in that vein, I'd argue. The last one that comes to mind is Cataclysm, but I never got far into that either because the high degree of simulation limits the playability somewhat for me.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
DoomRL guy is getting serious about JupiterHell which I think is DoomRL but without the licensing issues?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Lowness 72 posted:

DoomRL guy is getting serious about JupiterHell which I think is DoomRL but without the licensing issues?

Also with 3d graphics, which will take a lot more work/time to do.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Yeah, I'm afraid it'll be "overdeveloped" with animations and gfx slowing everything down when you just wanna slaughter demons like on the covers of metal records. I felt like the DoomRL tileset was already pretty much the sweet spot as far as graphics are concerned. I wanna have faith in the guy, but I hope it won't turn into some kind of 3d Dredmor.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Honestly, check out the dev stream on twitch. It actually might be more responsive to user input than doomRL. The engine isn't the thing to worry about in my opinion.

Edit: I might be more worried about scaling up from a one man project, for clarity's sake. I don't know what he's worked on as part of a larger project.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 7, 2016

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Oenis posted:

Well regarding sci-fi roguelikes there's AlienRL made by the DoomRL guy, but I never put much time into it. Then there's Cogmind and Gearhead which also has a sequel I never tried out. Caves of Qud is also a little in that vein, I'd argue. The last one that comes to mind is Cataclysm, but I never got far into that either because the high degree of simulation limits the playability somewhat for me.

Incidentally, Cogmind looks really good. Both gameplay-wise and visually.
I can't wait for the full release of that.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Does Transcendence count as a roguelike? :v: Been playing it lately, and really wishing that it had an option to try out weapons before you buy them. I "upgraded" from a laser array to a slam cannon, and got steamrollered by a freighter armed with a fast-but-weak-firing turret because the slam cannon's projectiles are super-easy to destroy and I just couldn't hit the drat thing.

On the flipside, love the setting, love the gameplay. More games need to do 2D inertial ship combat.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Does Transcendence count as a roguelike? :v: Been playing it lately, and really wishing that it had an option to try out weapons before you buy them. I "upgraded" from a laser array to a slam cannon, and got steamrollered by a freighter armed with a fast-but-weak-firing turret because the slam cannon's projectiles are super-easy to destroy and I just couldn't hit the drat thing.

On the flipside, love the setting, love the gameplay. More games need to do 2D inertial ship combat.

I love Transcendence and wish it had a mobile port

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Transcendence is awesome and I met the dev at the celebration and he was a great. A+ space stat control roguelike

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

caves of qud 100% counts as a scifi roguelike as far as i'm concerned, and it's one of the best.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Oenis posted:

Yeah, I'm afraid it'll be "overdeveloped" with animations and gfx slowing everything down when you just wanna slaughter demons like on the covers of metal records. I felt like the DoomRL tileset was already pretty much the sweet spot as far as graphics are concerned. I wanna have faith in the guy, but I hope it won't turn into some kind of 3d Dredmor.

He's 100% aware that super fast tile movement is necessary and he's already building that stuff in. I agree, watch his stream when you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
I've been procrastinating a ton at work by playing sproggiwood on my phone. Played on the hardest difficulty from the start and its been great.

Now someone tell me how to kill ghostly wisps because I don't get it.