Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm curious how they'll lengthen the experience. REmake wasn't that much longer from the original title from what I know and I'm surprised to hear that RE2 was actually short.
You can easily play through one of the scenarios in three and a half hours or so. SGF just recently got done with Claire A and it took him seven 30 minute videos each, even without rushing at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

A lot of people have been kicking up a fuss because Devil May Cry 5 was reported to be about 15 hours long and that's apparently too short even though it's probably the longest a Devil May Cry game has ever been.

Pretty sure REmake 2 would be crucified if it were the same length as the original RE 2, nevermind the zapping system. Which is a shame because I want to know where people find the time for all these 50+ hour long games nowadays.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I can't imagine the RE2 main story will last much longer than 10-15 hours tops.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, a story about a couple people in a dangerous place trying to escape from that place is the perfect place to do a shorter, more intense story. It's hard to stretch out 'wandering around this police station/art museum'.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I mean, I say he did the entire A scenario in 3.5 hours, but that's including cutscenes, reading the manual out loud and while honestly playing fairly slowly. You could easily do a full run-through of a scenario in barely an hour, and two hours for a full-price video game these days? That's unreasonable. That isn't getting your money's worth and the only thing you'd be paying for in that would be the nostalgia. I'm not willing to do that and Capcom knows well-enough that they couldn't possibly justify this to their customer base.

Ten to fifteen hours for a Resident Evil game is perfectly fine. I expect it to be about as long as RE7 was.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Mr. Fortitude posted:

A lot of people have been kicking up a fuss because Devil May Cry 5 was reported to be about 15 hours long and that's apparently too short even though it's probably the longest a Devil May Cry game has ever been.

Pretty sure REmake 2 would be crucified if it were the same length as the original RE 2, nevermind the zapping system. Which is a shame because I want to know where people find the time for all these 50+ hour long games nowadays.

I dunno, game length used to be this big thing back in the day (like they'd say each Final Fantasy would take over 100 hours to beat or whatever) but I feel like the only people that care about that now are youtube opinion people. The average person who just buys game and plays them doesn't seem to care if something is 6 hours or 50 hours really as long as what is there feels good. Same for reviewers mainly, RE7 certainly didn't suffer in terms of reviews I think for it's relative brevity.

As for me RE2 felt pretty long when it first came out, I was ten so obviously not particularly great at games but I think it took me around 6 or 7 hours back then for each character. Then as I played it more I got down to the sorts of times you need to get the good ranks. Obviously yeah people who play/stream a shitload of videogames see them off pretty quickly but the average person probably takes like a week or more of playing off and on to finish most games.

I'm expecting the initial playthrough of the 2 remake for Leon/Claire to take around 5-6 hours each (gonna play on hard initially just because decent horror games are pretty rare) and there's a bunch of achievements that'll I'll try and get as well, hopefully some cool secret poo poo. That seems pretty reasonable to me, RE7 I beat in 6 hours but the last 3rd was pretty mediocre and I still felt pretty good about the purchase based on the rest of the game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

That seems pretty reasonable to me, RE7 I beat in 6 hours but the last 3rd was pretty mediocre and I still felt pretty good about the purchase based on the rest of the game.
Which puts you in the "rushed" percentile according to howlongtobeat.com, if you're wondering. The average is pretty precisely ten hours, which is a decent and respectable length for a single-player action horror game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Horror is one of the few video game genres where everybody expects the length to be pretty short, and many all-time classics are extremely short. It's actively detrimental to the whole experience to have a horror game that drags on forever.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Those people are dumb as hell, especially with how replayable V sounds like it's gonna be.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

exquisite tea posted:

Horror is one of the few video game genres where everybody expects the length to be pretty short, and many all-time classics are extremely short. It's actively detrimental to the whole experience to have a horror game that drags on forever.

Case in point, Alien Isolation.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

There's a lot of wiggle room between "too long" and "just far too short." I'm just not willing to pay five times the price of a ticket to a horror movie for a game that would not be either at least five times as long or five times as good an experience - and let's not kid ourselves, they're never five times as good.

This is a discussion this thread has seen before and will doubtlessly see again, but there's nothing wrong with drawing a line at which you do not think your purchase was worth the money. Everyone gets to decide that for themselves. It doesn't mean it is necessarily a better or worse game, but it does mean that you don't think you got what you paid for, which is what matters in the end.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'd put dollars to donuts that NuRE2 combines A/B scenarios (excepting, of course, obvious impossibilities). and at the end chris shows up but he doesnt look like chris and he says 'i need..........g virus'

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've got 7 hours clocked on Resident Evil 6 and I think I'm only halfway through Leon's chapter so gently caress anybody who wants a long Resident Evil.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I sure didn't see anyone complaining that RE4 was too long, soo...

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Can someone explain to me the zapping system in RE2? I never heard of that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

s.i.r.e. posted:

Can someone explain to me the zapping system in RE2? I never heard of that.
Basically speaking, the game had two campaigns that were taking place at the same time: scenario A and scenario B. You would play first scenario A, then scenario B, which would be influenced by certain choices you made in scenario A. Take an item as Claire, and it won't be there for Leon later, that kind of thing. You could start as either Claire or Leon and small details would be different depending on who you were playing in each scenario. Finish one, and you get to play as the other in their own B scenario.

That's basically it.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 14, 2019

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cardiovorax posted:

I sure didn't see anyone complaining that RE4 was too long, soo...

RE4 wasn't a horror game, it was a cool as hell head explosion simulator.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

RE4 wasn't a horror game, it was a cool as hell head explosion simulator.
After playing the RE2make demo, I find this a perfectly adequate description for this game as well.

Oh my god those dynamic injuries are gory.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cardiovorax posted:

Basically speaking, the game had two campaigns that were taking place at the same time: scenario A and scenario B. You would play first scenario A, then scenario B, which would be influenced by certain choices you made in scenario A. Take an item as Claire, and it won't be there for Leon later, that kind of thing. You could start as either Claire or Leon and small details would be different depending on who you were playing in each scenario. Finish one, and you get to play as the other in their own B scenario.

That's basically it.

I think the only things that actually changed were taking the sub machine gun/item pack and closing the shutters in A would have them fail and the corridor full of zombies in B and that's like it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If you kill the alligator with the exploding barrel it won't show up in B side which I think results in fewer items or something.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No, there's also the thing with the plant monsters who turn into poison plant monsters for scenario B if you use the anti-BOW gas in scenario A. Possibly more that I just don't know about. There's not a whole lot of it, but there's enough that you can call it a fully realized game mechanic.

al-azad posted:

If you kill the alligator with the exploding barrel it won't show up in B side which I think results in fewer items or something.
Case in point.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The other character started the game on the other side of the blazing inferno and entered the police station differently

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

People obsessing over hours-per-dollar and how long a story has to be for it to be worth the money are the reason why we get overly long games or open world games with tons of filler and pointless sidequests that aren't fun to complete. I'm fine paying $50 for a game with a 3-5 hour story if it's really fun and worth replaying, especially if it has other modes and unlockables to help keep me going. There's no point paying for a 10 hour story if that story is crap.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

There's no point paying for a 10 hour story if that story is crap.
Then I'd say your mistake is buying video games for the story in the first place, because they're always crap.

All kidding aside, I think everything about what you just said, I could turn around and say that this kind of attitude is why we don't get games anymore that are a good, coherent experience from the beginning, but rather rely on plot DLC and gimmick game modes that force replayability into something that hasn't got enough content to support it legitimately. It's pretty clearly just a different way of looking at the same thing and there is nothing wrong with having your own preferences about it, but don't be a jerk and go "you're ruining video games!!!11" because some people like to have fun differently than you do.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

chitoryu12 posted:

People obsessing over hours-per-dollar and how long a story has to be for it to be worth the money are the reason why we get overly long games or open world games with tons of filler and pointless sidequests that aren't fun to complete. I'm fine paying $50 for a game with a 3-5 hour story if it's really fun and worth replaying, especially if it has other modes and unlockables to help keep me going. There's no point paying for a 10 hour story if that story is crap.

One of the best open-world games ever was Gun by Neversoft. Once you get free run of the map, you find out it’s quite small, but the pathing for missions and use of curved roads made it feel bigger, and there was never a point where it felt like the openness of the world was pointless.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Is Fear and Hunger a good game

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
distraint was ok until i got to this drug puzzle, i dont know if i can finish it. a lot of people seem to hate it

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Tired Moritz posted:

I might say any horror game that's built around replayability probably isn't particularly horrific after a while. Haven't played it myself, but it looks like there's a demo. https://mirohaver.itch.io/fear-hunger

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Tired Moritz posted:

I’ve only done a couple runs so far, but I’m enjoying it at least.

I’m still very early in so I’m trying to decipher how much is just trying to be edgy as gently caress and how much is genuinely quite creepy, but the art style and the weird amount of depth to things are what drew me in.

There’s quite a lot of dingdongs too which is a plus.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Relin posted:

distraint was ok until i got to this drug puzzle, i dont know if i can finish it. a lot of people seem to hate it
I mean, it's been a couple years since I played through Distraint but I don't recall any real brain busters puzzle-wise. At most there was a bit of confusion near the end when you get the business to meet with the partners, but yeah, I don't remember any drug puzzles. It does remind me though that I need to pick up the sequel that came out recently, cause I loved the art style and atmosphere that the game had. It was so dreary and depressing; it was great.

Tired Moritz posted:

John Wolfe released an hour long video of it over the weekend and the game just does not look fun or interesting to play. Obtuse mechanics, instant death mechanics based around coin flips, and a lackluster art style (it definitely reminded me of Salt and Sanctuary, where a guy took his notebook of goth doodles from middle school and based his game around it). I don't know, maybe John Wolfe was doing his usual schtick of being unable to follow in-game instructions or information, but it was didn't sell me on the game.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 14, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Salt and Sanctuary was a decent-looking and definitely very fun game, though. It certainly surprised me with how well the concept of a side-scrolling Soulsborne clone works in practice.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm curious how they'll lengthen the experience. REmake wasn't that much longer from the original title from what I know and I'm surprised to hear that RE2 was actually short.

While the A and B stories may be out, timing out the demo does confirm some things. aka. that Hunk and Tofu are both going to be around. Spoilered in case anyone couple potentially be surprised

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

discworld is all I read posted:

instant death mechanics based around coin flips

I watched John's video too and the moment this happened I knew the game would be way, way too aggravating to play. And this is coming from someone that enjoyed Roulette Knight.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Last time I played, there wasn't. I don't think there is, currently, either.

Oh, thanks! That sucks, but it saved me $10 and a lot of time finding that out.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I watched John Wolfe and Mrkravin’s playthroughs and it seems hecka rough, like it should not be at version 1. The mechanics look tossed off and the spelling/grammar is atrocious at times. It looks like a clunky rpgmaker game & they shouldn’t be asking for money until they clean it up.

I’m not saying there’s nothing interesting there, just that what is there looks like a rough draft.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That seems to be a depressingly common thing for horror games these days, even more than it is for nearly any other genre aside from maybe twin stick shooters. Far too many people look at horror as a genre, decide "it just has to be scary, how hard could that be?" and poo poo out the worst turd they can manage that still counts as a functional game. It's kind of pathetic, but we really have only ourselves to blame for it, with the way people keep accepting pretentious One Month Game Challenge garbage as equal to fully featured games with actual art direction and gameplay.

What can you expect from developers, when that's what the market teaches them to see as acceptable?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Cardiovorax posted:

people keep accepting pretentious One Month Game Challenge garbage as equal to fully featured games with actual art direction and gameplay

This is douchey stuff, game jam games end up being awesome a bunch of the time and the short timeframes just make it more impressive. The made in a weekend, farted out stolen asset repack games are not those.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, ok, I'm sorry about that. I don't mean to put down the effort put into what people manage to do within their constraints there. Still, come on. NaNoWriMo is also impressive in the sense of producing a lot of word-count in a short time, but would you be surprised at the average quality of store-bought novels going down if publishers snapped that kind of manuscript up like it was something a person had worked on for two years or more? The best games of contests like that used to end up getting reworked into a full product over a longer period of time, but Steam doesn't have that level of quality control, what with Greenlight and such.

I'm not trying to poo poo on indie efforts here, but it's true. People have been willing to accept way too much crud from the genre lately and it shows by the quality level of the new products that people put out. Why would developers put in more effort when we constantly demonstrate to them that they really don't need to?

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 15, 2019

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Lifeglug posted:

I’ve only done a couple runs so far, but I’m enjoying it at least.

I’m still very early in so I’m trying to decipher how much is just trying to be edgy as gently caress and how much is genuinely quite creepy, but the art style and the weird amount of depth to things are what drew me in.

There’s quite a lot of dingdongs too which is a plus.

So what's with the 'have makeout sesh with what is obviously a child to appease some random deity' thing, then. Is that a legitimate option. 'Cause that moves it from 'edgy' to 'call the police' territory in a hurry, and I'm seriously not interested in paying realdollars for a copy if that kind of pedobait bullshit is included. The sexual violence warning is already treading on extremely bullshit ground for me personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Jesus Christ what

I watched Kravin play and it just seemed like edgy dark souls aesthetic, and I figured the sexual violence warning was code for “excuse to do horrific things to women” so wow pedophilia why am I not surprised