Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

i think i like the kirov more than the budyonny. the HE is just too anemic even with the ROF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

How I do Wyoming, it feels like I should brawl given the range, the dispersion that's measured in barns missed and the secondaries but it's too slow to close and New Yorks can apparently citadel me through the bow so

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Forums Terrorist posted:

How I do Wyoming, it feels like I should brawl given the range, the dispersion that's measured in barns missed and the secondaries but it's too slow to close and New Yorks can apparently citadel me through the bow so

Dont fight New Yorks. Seriously though while you are in lovely battleship you are still in battleship. And you are in battleship that is not Myogi. Every cruiser that underestimates you dies and you outrange cruisers of your tier. So they will underestimate you, they will come in your range and they will die. Your dispersion is crap but it somewhat mitigated by 12 barrels. Somewhat. Dont chase things. You cannot catch that Phoenix anyway so if it running let it. It will probably come back, you'll kill it then. You are stealthy for battleship. They spot you only at 14 km so use this to get closer. You relatively maneuverable. Only ship of your tier you should be afraid of is Isokaze. Against higher tier ships you have big big disadvantage. Use geography to make them come closer. And hey at least you are not in Myogi.

Lady Morgaga fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 4, 2016

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Lady Morgaga posted:

When Myoko works it works really good. :3

The Russian and German cruisers have ruined the Myoko for me, the glacial gun turn rate is seriously cramping my current :black101: play style.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

guidoanselmi posted:

i think i like the kirov more than the budyonny. the HE is just too anemic even with the ROF

I know what you mean and I was in 2 minds if to keep the Kirov but the laser accuracy of the Budy is just so good, HE may not be that good but when you are dropping 300+ shots and hitting with an awful lot of them it adds up quickly.

Tier 6 is just such a sweet spot at the moment, I have no real want to go any further except maybe DDs.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I really don't like the Kirov...yes its got monster Damage but the turning circle and lack of armour coupled with Yamato-like visibility is a big problem on some maps. On the Straits map I basically had to be alert and hit reverse as soon as the game started to avoid getting spotted first thing by enemy crusiers and DDs and nuked from the starting position.

I think the Buddy is miles better (lazer accurate, double the RoF, far less visibility, much better armour and mobility) and tbh I feel like its going to get nerfed. Once i get the DE skill I reckon I'll be starting a fire every single salvo at 15k and under. I got the Zao and the Buddy in the same week and they are remarkably similar.

I agree with Burt, I've come to like the Yorck more than the Myoko. If I could transfer my 14 point captain from Myoko to Yorck I would sell Myoko in a heartbeat. As it is, I want to get to Hipper and I need to use my Yorck captain on it.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I don't grind hard enough to get to those higher tier ships before they're nerfed. :v: Only to the the Nuremburg on the German line and the Svietlana on the Russian Line. I like the Nurmeburg a lot, but I don't think I'm going to keep it after getting the Yorck. Thankfully, I'm close. Svietlana is meh; it's slow, but the guns are good.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

MoraleHazard posted:

I don't grind hard enough to get to those higher tier ships before they're nerfed. :v: Only to the the Nuremburg on the German line and the Svietlana on the Russian Line. I like the Nurmeburg a lot, but I don't think I'm going to keep it after getting the Yorck. Thankfully, I'm close. Svietlana is meh; it's slow, but the guns are good.

I stump up for the 50g cammo and flags and you can happily get 6k exp on a double and 4k on a decent win, soon gets past low tier poo poo boxes.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

kaesarsosei posted:

I really don't like the Kirov...yes its got monster Damage but the turning circle and lack of armour coupled with Yamato-like visibility is a big problem on some maps. On the Straits map I basically had to be alert and hit reverse as soon as the game started to avoid getting spotted first thing by enemy crusiers and DDs and nuked from the starting position.

I think the Buddy is miles better (lazer accurate, double the RoF, far less visibility, much better armour and mobility) and tbh I feel like its going to get nerfed. Once i get the DE skill I reckon I'll be starting a fire every single salvo at 15k and under. I got the Zao and the Buddy in the same week and they are remarkably similar.

I agree with Burt, I've come to like the Yorck more than the Myoko. If I could transfer my 14 point captain from Myoko to Yorck I would sell Myoko in a heartbeat. As it is, I want to get to Hipper and I need to use my Yorck captain on it.

Those god damned glacially slow turrets on Myoko are just so painful. You know it's bad when a loving Battleship has faster turrets than a cruiser does.

I like the Kirov for it's guns, fast turrets, and great firing angles/shell arcs, but gently caress if that thing isn't a glass cannon. If you get in a T5-7 game you're turbofucked. In a pure t4/5 game it's silly good though.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Burt posted:

The Russian and German cruisers have ruined the Myoko for me, the glacial gun turn rate is seriously cramping my current :black101: play style.

I am pretty aggressive player myself and while Myoko's turret speed is its biggest weakness imo Myoko advantages make up for it. It is heaviest and simultaneously stealthiest tier 7. Its almost fastest tier 7. Firepower itself is very good. Good AP good HE great torpedoes. Also I dont think Im getting any other tier 7 cruiser soon because I cannot hit anything in Nurnberg for some reason and in Russian tree Im at Svetlana.

Lady Morgaga fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 4, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

NyxWGA posted:

Hey Captains!

Starting mid-week of next week and running through the end of the month, we'll be testing a discount on repair costs of high tier ships. All tech tree (non-Premium) ships Tier VIII - X will have their repair costs discounted by approximately 20%. Nope, it's not an April Fool's joke - we're serious!

This test has begun on the RU server, but we wanted to let everyone know that you'll be included as part of the test as well!

We'll be looking at the data generated for the month, in order to determine potential changes for the future. We also would love to hear your feedback once you start to actually see the discount in game!

Please remember this is only a test, and we'll need to analyze a month's worth of data before we consider any potential permanent changes!

We thought this was a high note to go into the weekend, so we're letting you know today, rather than next week. Happy Friday!

Yes! Yes! YES!

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

is there any ap change to the amagi going from b hull to c hull? i unloaded 4 salvos into an amidships ibuki and got -nothing-.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
What's the opinion on the Pensacola? Worst of the t7 cruisers?

I quite enjoy mine, but it doesn't seem to have any tools to really deal with battleships, apart from low tier stuff. I may be a bit too aggressive though, I can't seem to maintain range to targets even when I intend to . The guns and turrets are quite nice though, that turn rate allows you to maneuver quite hard without losing the target solution.

I find it surprisingly relaxing to drive around in the Pensacola, it's so comfortable. It is my first t7 though, do the other cruisers around those tiers play very differently? I'm not that big a fan of the Aoba, for example.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Decorus posted:

I quite enjoy mine, but it doesn't seem to have any tools to really deal with battleships, apart from low tier stuff. I may be a bit too aggressive though, I can't seem to maintain range to targets even when I intend to . The guns and turrets are quite nice though, that turn rate allows you to maneuver quite hard without losing the target solution.

I find it surprisingly relaxing to drive around in the Pensacola, it's so comfortable. It is my first t7 though, do the other cruisers around those tiers play very differently? I'm not that big a fan of the Aoba, for example.

No t7 cruiser has good armor. Pensacola especially, though, is notorious for being citadeled through the bow more easily than the others. Because of its XP pinata status, you have an unfortunate situation of constantly being prioritized as an easy target.

The Myoko has the best reputation among the t7 CAs. Schors and Yorck seem to both occupy a distant second - both can be competitive but are difficult to master in their own ways (The Yorck with its he vs ap differences and glass armor, the Schors with hybrid drawbacks/benefits of kirov/budy, but feels a bit uptiered). The Pensacola is third and last.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Pacra posted:

No t7 cruiser has good armor. Pensacola especially, though, is notorious for being citadeled through the bow more easily than the others. Because of its XP pinata status, you have an unfortunate situation of constantly being prioritized as an easy target.

The Myoko has the best reputation among the t7 CAs. Schors and Yorck seem to both occupy a distant second - both can be competitive but are difficult to master in their own ways (The Yorck with its he vs ap differences and glass armor, the Schors with hybrid drawbacks/benefits of kirov/budy, but feels a bit uptiered). The Pensacola is third and last.

Thanks, I guess I'll work my way through the Aoba and give the Myoko a try.

The one thing I hate about Myoko is how low the deck is to the water (the freeboard?). Feels like it's almost impossible to score any hits at long range, unless you nail the superstructure exactly. Though I guess it doesn't matter that much, since I suppose the citadels are of similar size on most ships.

And to go on about the Pensacola, I sometimes feel that enemies don't really register me as a serious threat. Cruisers in particular are amazingly happy to motor past me broadside on, and then go all panicky when I punch new 8" portholes into their citadels. But maybe that happens to other ships as well, even in the mid-high tiers.

I attribute my success to constant angling against all possible enemies, to the point where they start losing interest in firing at me. Most players only really seem to track a single enemy.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Decorus posted:

I think people almost universally like the guns on that ship, the problem is it has extremely high detectability combined with big citadel hit boxes and no armor. So I think a lot of people on the other team will prioritize shooting at a Pensacola over just about anything else at roughly equal ranges because it has a reputation of dying quickly. Coming right after the Cleveland, which has tiny citadels buried deep in the hull, a lot of players have to adjust to the Pensacola, which can lead to overly aggressive play.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
The best part is realizing this isn't the first time the player experiences the armor change like it. St Louis to Phoenix and Omaha is the first time players experience it.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

JuffoWup posted:

The best part is realizing this isn't the first time the player experiences the armor change like it. St Louis to Phoenix and Omaha is the first time players experience it.

Well, it's a big shock going from the Cleveland, with its very light armor but peculiar citadel placement (one of the few ships with a split engine citadel, and it's deeper than most other CAs), to the Pensacola, with THINNER armor (about the same as the Omaha) and a much higher citadel. As the pepsicola is the first US CA with 8 inch guns, its also the first US CA that has MAGAZINE citadels, meaning more of the ship is now a citadel hitbox. That's bad news when you have Omaha armor.

Torbo
Jun 12, 2007

Decorus posted:

I really liked it. Honestly, I dont think the armor is any worse than the myokos. Yeah its thin, and yeah its got big citadels, but really, if youre taking heavy fire in a cruiser, youre going to be dead soon anyway. The redeeming qualities are that the guns are great, and they turn quickly, and the rudder shift is pretty good. These qualities allow you to wiggle while you fire much more effectively, hopefully meaning that you take less fire.

Basically, no cruiser really has enough armor to rely on, so anything that makes it easier to dodge fire, and effectivly put out damage, is worth way more than slightly more armor on a cruiser.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Hey guys if you give Svietlana an O and some space she turns into Soviet Lana thanks for reading.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
Why do i feel like the Japanese DD line just keeps getting worse and worse? I had a lot of fun with the Wakatake, Isokaze, and Minekaze. The torpedo sniper tactics of staying on the very edge of the engagement envelope and outrunning and dodging when spotted were highly effective for me.

Then the Mutsuki was a real struggle. Now all the non IJN DDs i see have enough guns to totally rip me apart. If i see any enemy DDs in an area i must retreat and try to find another route, the two guns i had were just too slow and weak to be anything useful in a fight.
And the CA/CLs are now able to shoot so many shells so fast that its almost impossible to dodge and outrun consistently. Add to this the fact that they can detect and dodge my torpedoes easily, there is almost no point in firing on them at all.

Eventually I managed to come up with a strategy that worked, but it was so situational. I pretty much only could engage BBs. I'd just try to stealth my way into the back area of the map and find BBs who thought they were safe and driving in a straight line. This worked, but if i ran into any DDs or CA/CLs I'd have to turn around and try again. This leads to a lot of matches where im hardly able to effect any damage at all. I tried playing more aggressive and It just gets me killed because my guns are garbage and my torpedoes are only good for long range.

Now i see USA DDs firing spreads of 9 or more torps at close range, so they have the advantage in guns and torps when it comes to a close battle.

Finally moved up to the Hatsuharu and wow! more of the same! except now my enemies are even more powerful! I'm not fully upgraded yet, but looking at the hull and torpedo upgrades it appears to still be the same basic ship and the same sneaky torp sniper tactics.

Is there something im missing here? Why do the USA/Rus DDs seem like much better ships who can handle their contemporaries in a gun fight and at least have a chance against CA/CLs at close range, but IJN are just total one trick ponies?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Raw_Beef posted:

Why do i feel like the Japanese DD line just keeps getting worse and worse? I had a lot of fun with the Wakatake, Isokaze, and Minekaze. The torpedo sniper tactics of staying on the very edge of the engagement envelope and outrunning and dodging when spotted were highly effective for me.

Then the Mutsuki was a real struggle. Now all the non IJN DDs i see have enough guns to totally rip me apart. If i see any enemy DDs in an area i must retreat and try to find another route, the two guns i had were just too slow and weak to be anything useful in a fight.
And the CA/CLs are now able to shoot so many shells so fast that its almost impossible to dodge and outrun consistently. Add to this the fact that they can detect and dodge my torpedoes easily, there is almost no point in firing on them at all.

Eventually I managed to come up with a strategy that worked, but it was so situational. I pretty much only could engage BBs. I'd just try to stealth my way into the back area of the map and find BBs who thought they were safe and driving in a straight line. This worked, but if i ran into any DDs or CA/CLs I'd have to turn around and try again. This leads to a lot of matches where im hardly able to effect any damage at all. I tried playing more aggressive and It just gets me killed because my guns are garbage and my torpedoes are only good for long range.

Now i see USA DDs firing spreads of 9 or more torps at close range, so they have the advantage in guns and torps when it comes to a close battle.

Finally moved up to the Hatsuharu and wow! more of the same! except now my enemies are even more powerful! I'm not fully upgraded yet, but looking at the hull and torpedo upgrades it appears to still be the same basic ship and the same sneaky torp sniper tactics.

Is there something im missing here? Why do the USA/Rus DDs seem like much better ships who can handle their contemporaries in a gun fight and at least have a chance against CA/CLs at close range, but IJN are just total one trick ponies?

nerf torpedoes!

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Raw_Beef posted:

The Mutsuki and Hatsu are the low points in the line. The Fubuki is a massive upgrade. You get a flat 50% increase in guns and torpedo launchers over the Hatsu. You can also equip the concealment upgrade, which knocks another 10% off your detection range. With six guns and properly skilled (I took Basic Firing Training and Expert Marksman and the Main Battery/Accuracy upgrades) you can deal a surprising amount of damage to enemy DDs. You still wont want to duel a Benson at 3km or anything, but at like 7-8+km you can definitely hold your own because your guns are pretty accurate and have a flatter, higher-velocity trajectory. The Kagero is the same gun-wise but is even stealthier, and the Shima gets a nice rate of fire boost.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Raw_Beef posted:

The Minekaze is my pride and joy and I love it so much that I have 3 of them, with the Halloween version and the Kamikaze.

After that it's downhill, but hang in there until the Fubuki. When the stars align and your long range, high damage torps hit home, you can decide battles.

The Japanese DDs are really not meant to get into any kind of gun duel. You gotta strike a fine balance between scouting, since your torp runs usually work best when both sides are not engaged yet, while at the same time staying under the covering fire of your cruisers or other DDs. The Minekaze, the Fubuki and the Shimakaze are ultimately worth the tradeoff in gun power.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Torbo posted:

Basically, no cruiser really has enough armor to rely on, so anything that makes it easier to dodge fire, and effectivly put out damage, is worth way more than slightly more armor on a cruiser.

I get the feeling that torpedoes are bit of a trap in a CA vs CA fight, except for really point blank firing. In the Pensacola, you're never tempted to turn broadside to the enemy like a lot of Myokos seem to do.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Decorus posted:

I get the feeling that torpedoes are bit of a trap in a CA vs CA fight, except for really point blank firing. In the Pensacola, you're never tempted to turn broadside to the enemy like a lot of Myokos seem to do.

They're very situational and you're right about the temptation to turn broadside in Japanese CA's.

The Mutsuki is a pain with it's pop-guns. The lone battleship is it's target. I'm sad to hear the Hatsu is junk as well, I was hoping for something better.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

MoraleHazard posted:

They're very situational and you're right about the temptation to turn broadside in Japanese CA's.

The Mutsuki is a pain with it's pop-guns. The lone battleship is it's target. I'm sad to hear the Hatsu is junk as well, I was hoping for something better.

I was so glad to get rid of the Mutsuki. Let's just say the Hatsu was quite the upgrade I was expecting :(

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
Yeah the transition from Mutsuki to Hatsu is really painful because youve got to get 15k exp just to have your captain skills back to the same level they were at your previous tier, and the Hatsu is almost identical to the Mutsuki in performance, actually a few knts slower at max speed.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Last night I began to learn to love ramming enemy ships. Nothing quite like being in a BB, being rather low on health, and being the only ship on the same side of the map as an enemy BB with almost full health in a close game: Set your heading to directly at them and "Give me ramming speed!" Sure, I could just go into a shootout with them and hope to win, but it is more fun to go down in a blaze of glory and watch both of our ships sink into the deep ocean together.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Khisanth Magus posted:

Last night I began to learn to love ramming enemy ships. Nothing quite like being in a BB, being rather low on health, and being the only ship on the same side of the map as an enemy BB with almost full health in a close game: Set your heading to directly at them and "Give me ramming speed!" Sure, I could just go into a shootout with them and hope to win, but it is more fun to go down in a blaze of glory and watch both of our ships sink into the deep ocean together.

Same, but with aircraftless carriers. :black101:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

my dad posted:

Same, but with aircraftless carriers. :black101:

This can backfire if you're trying to ram something that's faster than you.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

wdarkk posted:

:shrug: I rammed people with a loving Bogue. Never underestimate the complete and total lack of situational awarness that overcomes people when they get a carrier in their sights.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Fuuuuck I'm already to play some botes, there's six goons in the channel. And now Discord is giving me the bullshit "No Route" error.

Apparently there's gently caress-all that can be done about it.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

wdarkk posted:

I wasn't even aircraftless, but got cornered by a DD and he managed to approach to broadside from the stern

He was close enough to splash unarmed torpedoes into my side and I turned into him and managed to turn just enough that he ran into me near my prow.

I survived, took my Die-Hard medal, and we won the game.

There are a lot of bad botes drivers. Putting your body into someone's way when you don't have any other options is a pretty good way to roll the dice because no one pays attention to where they're sailing.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Alternatively using allies as armor by ramming into them and then side scraping while they burn up is certainly a viable tactic.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

TSBX posted:

Alternatively using allies as armor by ramming into them and then side scraping while they burn up is certainly a viable tactic.

Especially if you do it to pubbies.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

blowfish posted:

Especially if you do it to pubbies.

who else is going to eat those torpedoes for me

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I had a Kuma that was deliberately running into team-mates for some reason. I'm not really sure why he was doing it. He started directly in front of me (I was in a New York) and the first thing he did was reverse and try to turn into my direction to force a collision. I turned the other way and avoided him. After a bit of fighting (this was in strait), I ended up colliding with him as I was turning around. After I died, I watched him collide with a team-mate CA when they were the only two people left in the team. Seems weird to troll in such a low impact way.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

What do you guys put in the second slot on the Kirov?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

MoraleHazard posted:

What do you guys put in the second slot on the Kirov?

I went Main Battery 1, Propulsion Mod (engine toughness), Accuracy.

So is the 20% boost to the Tier 8+ economy in effect?

Also a rumor that next ranked season may start by the end of April