Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

I just wanted to give a random tip of the hat to Wiz and/or anyone else working the AI, they feel much more competent and competitive in 1.8.x. Started a few multiplayer games with friends over the past couple days, and on Hard it's not unusual to find yourself competing for parity with nearby AIs, and they're pretty good at taking advantage of players trying to underfund their military.

I agree with this. Not sure what changed exactly, but it's a good and noticable improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Brutally oppress the fire people

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Now, now, the fire people will be equal members in the harmonious and exceedingly polite collective.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Oh, uh. gently caress.

Yeah this game is over. Ally dragged me into a fight with an empire with a 50k fleet. Sure, I have a 62k fleet.

But that empire had vassals and an ally that was well over 120k in total.... And my ally in question? Turned out to be a lot less powerful than the empire strength chart indicated.

And now that he's gone, it is basically just me vs an entire galaxy of slavers and their vassals. And the Forgotten Empire eating popcorn on the sidelines of course.

Also, hyperlanes kind of SUCK when your enemies have jump drives or wormholes. Ughhhh.

I was sort of friends with one of the slaver factions to keep the other one off my back too...had a defense pact going there before the OTHER ally started the war. :(

Edit: A heartbreaking defeat. Winning an early war, taking a vassal, and then integrating them was fun though.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Oct 25, 2017

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I was thinking more on the "starting spaceborne" thing.

I figure your colony ships start 12-tile spaces above habitable planets. (You have to be near a habitable planet for, like, ecological resupply or something. Also so you can't just turtle up in empty systems early game.) You get their best single tile like a mining station, as well as access to any strategic resources on the planet, but you have the blank slate otherwise. HOWEVER: Starting spaceborne people also get to stack the "normal" buildings on their giant stinky colony cylinders.

They also never have to worry about tile blockers. (The homeworld's starting habitat gets 16 squares so you can get the empire complex as normal.)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Artificer posted:

Oh, uh. gently caress.

Yeah this game is over. Ally dragged me into a fight with an empire with a 50k fleet. Sure, I have a 62k fleet.

But that empire had vassals and an ally that was well over 120k in total.... And my ally in question? Turned out to be a lot less powerful than the empire strength chart indicated.

And now that he's gone, it is basically just me vs an entire galaxy of slavers and their vassals. And the Forgotten Empire eating popcorn on the sidelines of course.

Also, hyperlanes kind of SUCK when your enemies have jump drives or wormholes. Ughhhh.

I was sort of friends with one of the slaver factions to keep the other one off my back too...had a defense pact going there before the OTHER ally started the war. :(

Edit: A heartbreaking defeat. Winning an early war, taking a vassal, and then integrating them was fun though.

Yeah, I've had similar things happen. Sometimes you just have to restart and try again.

My current game had me start in the outer arm between 2 fallen empires (materialists & spiritualists) with the xenophobic fallen empire pretty close by in the arm inside mine.
Fortunately, the only way past them led to a friendly robotic empire who protected me early game while I expanded heavily with almost no defenses. Once I was strong enough to keep their aggressive neighbor at bay, we made a defensive pact, so now I just have to scare their enemies off until I've teched up to eat the fallen empires. My robotic buddies also look like the Roboblorg :3:

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the thing I like about Stellaris is that sometimes you lose.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I like the fact that you don't want to gently caress up the galaxy too much. Had a great game where I and a federation of literal OPMs were the two only actors left, and BAM - Scourge. They went for the federation, got fat and unstoppable, then came for me.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
1.8.3 just downloaded, small hotfix, nothing exciting:

- Fixed being able to give orders to fleets you did not own in some cases
- Fixed nanite assemblers tech not being available to machine empires due to disabling positronic AI for them
- Fixed busted tooltip for Purifiers, Swarm and Exterminators
- Fixed devouring swarm opinion penalty being broken
- Fixed empires with Evolutionary Mastery being unable to de-assimilate Hive Mind pops
- Fixed the Voight-Kampff achievement not being able to fire due to a missing event

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Sorry for the double post but I wanted to follow up on this point I saw yesterday:

Splicer posted:

Though we're still waiting on an endgame use for unity :argh:

What if, after you filled out the traditions tree, Unity production acted as a sort of anti-decadence resource. That is, once you fill out all the traditions, you have the possibility of kicking off a series of events (spread out over a long period of time) that will either put pressure on your empire to fall into a decadent, Fallen Empire-like state, experience significant ethics drift and possible breakup, or just general all around economic or influence inefficiency.

Unity production could stave this off...for a time. It would act as a kind of soft timer to get on with the game, or have your empire collapse and rejuvenate?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I'd like it if Unity became a currency you could spend on various buffs, like Governing Ethics Attraction.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

LogisticEarth posted:

What if, after you filled out the traditions tree, Unity production acted as a sort of anti-decadence resource. That is, once you fill out all the traditions, you have the possibility of kicking off a series of events (spread out over a long period of time) that will either put pressure on your empire to fall into a decadent, Fallen Empire-like state, experience significant ethics drift and possible breakup, or just general all around economic or influence inefficiency.

Unity production could stave this off...for a time. It would act as a kind of soft timer to get on with the game, or have your empire collapse and rejuvenate?

This is basically punishing people for filling out the tradition trees, and means you just keep your unity buildings around to avoid a penalty rather than to gain a benefit. That's not really good game design, especially when you've spent the entire game up until that point encouraging the player to gather as much unity as they can as fast as they can because it's nothing but good. I'd much prefer being able to spend it on 10 year empire buffs or whatever.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Aethernet posted:

I'd like it if Unity became a currency you could spend on various buffs, like Governing Ethics Attraction.

If I could use it to "buy" more influence at a very high price, that would be fine with me.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Crazycryodude posted:

This is basically punishing people for filling out the tradition trees, and means you just keep your unity buildings around to avoid a penalty rather than to gain a benefit. That's not really good game design, especially when you've spent the entire game up until that point encouraging the player to gather as much unity as they can as fast as they can because it's nothing but good. I'd much prefer being able to spend it on 10 year empire buffs or whatever.

I don't understand why that's "not good game design" to have a mechanic that fluctuates in use over time. I don't like the idea of just giving folks more buffs with spare unity. We already get that with edicts and influence, and it just strikes me as another boring "+1" benefit that the game already has a lot of.

You could easily design it so that it doesn't punish an early tradition rush. If you're filling everything out quickly, then you have high unity production anyway, and thus would have a good buffer against potential decadence effects. You could also link it to game year, so you don't risk anything until like 200 years into the game or whatever works.

The late game right now is just very blobby, and aside from crises, it's just about mopping up. It would be great if there was a bit more to keeping a galactic empire from crumbling than just repelling outside threats. To me, some kind of late game stability threats would introduce something else to do, and excess Unity seems like the perfect resource to work with since right now it just has zero use after you max out traditions. It would also make the game worth playing if you find yourself against "impossible" odds if an AI has run away with the galaxy.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Oct 25, 2017

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Just put in a bunch more trees and ascension picks.

Also expand the tech tree. Decades of flavorless repeating techs before the crisis pops sucks.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Fintilgin posted:

Just put in a bunch more trees and ascension picks.

Also expand the tech tree. Decades of flavorless repeating techs before the crisis pops sucks.

Or maybe bring the crises back to where they used to be, instead of leaving them at The End Of Time.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

Or non-governing ethics attraction to prepare for a government shift. Unlock it after you've completed four traditions, have each completed tradition unlock unity policies and empire-level edict similar to planetary edicts. In Utopia keep track of the unity spent this way and unlock an ascension slot once you hit X (after that you can keep spending unity for the bumps, just no ascension slot to build toward).

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Add another level of fast forward. Make the game auto-pause when a tech's finished too.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Add another level of fast forward. Make the game auto-pause when a tech's finished too.
Game actually handles tech finishing good. All your unspent science goes into your science pile and gets doled out 1 for 1 with research once you pick a new tech.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/923173296056582144

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
The number of things that will need to be rebalanced with numbers like that is very large. 1.9 might practically be a brand new game.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

Aethernet posted:

The number of things that will need to be rebalanced with numbers like that is very large. 1.9 might practically be a brand new game.

Shame they didn't do the diplo patch first for 1.9 so this could have been... STELLARIS 2.0

I am wayyyyy excite for this

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

It looks like there are little craft flying around the station.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

kaffo posted:

Shame they didn't do the diplo patch first for 1.9 so this could have been... STELLARIS 2.0

I am wayyyyy excite for this
:argh: That's not how release numbering works!!! :argh:

I'm pretty hype

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

Splicer posted:

:argh: That's not how release numbering works!!! :argh:

I'm pretty hype

Wiz should pull a Microsoft/Apple and decided the number 9 is evil
:v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/923180407733886977

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/923184398098485249

Huzzah, so FTL inhibitors now force a battle but presumably don't dump enemies on top of you any more.

Also hopefully you can just FTL home at any point because it's annoying to navigate back sometimes.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
If the FTL inhibitor can bring fleets in wormholes out, that will be a way to prevent enemies from bypassing your front lines of a war if they use wormholes.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Jesus that's a powerful starbase.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/923220199142252545

They seem to be setting a tone here.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

IAmTheRad posted:

If the FTL inhibitor can bring fleets in wormholes out, that will be a way to prevent enemies from bypassing your front lines of a war if they use wormholes.

It looks much more likely that we're in Hyperlanes Only land, as not being able to warp out means you can't warp past.

Unless it now has an area of effect on the starmap.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Holy gently caress Wiz turned starbases into EU4 forts. You can enter the system, you can retreat, but you can't go past them. Yes yes yes. M-Bison saying "Yes" gif!!

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Yeah this is really good news :hellyeah:, I was worried that a thorough combat overhaul would fall outside the scope of a DLC release, it appears that the dev team was willing to revisit fleet movement on the system level which was critical for combat (but quite a bit of work)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

IAmTheRad posted:

That flexibility is the advantage of wormholes though. Defend your assets, not a front line.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

My take was that the FTL inhibitor means that once a hostile fleet enters that system, it can't warp out until some amount of time has passed or it has dealt with the station. I know they haven't announced the plans for FTL changes if any so that seems like it would work fine even with the current systems.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
I'm kinda annoyed about starbases shifting to the stars because the glare and bloom from the stars will make it harder to zoom in and look at them.

It's a very silly reason but it's mine.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
What's intriguing me is what this means for ground combat. It could be that whoever controls the starbase controls the system, and you have to land marines on it once you've taken down its defences - marines that come with your limited number of ships.

Hopefully this means I can create horrifying hulks full of genetic abominations my opponents are forced to hurl wave after wave of their own men against.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

rex monday posted:

I'm kinda annoyed about starbases shifting to the stars because the glare and bloom from the stars will make it harder to zoom in and look at them.

It's a very silly reason but it's mine.

That might be the other half of the reason I want to be able to pick where you build them :v:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Aethernet posted:

What's intriguing me is what this means for ground combat. It could be that whoever controls the starbase controls the system, and you have to land marines on it once you've taken down its defences - marines that come with your limited number of ships.

Hopefully this means I can create horrifying hulks full of genetic abominations my opponents are forced to hurl wave after wave of their own men against.

We're all adults here. We all understand that in real-life, throughout the ages, when a ship was boarded by pirates, or when pirates raided a coastal village, rape was simply part of the deal. I wouldn't be bringing this up if it weren't for the promise of improved ground combat, but during boarding operations. I personally believe that a short animation (nothing X-rated) that simply suggests your soldiers are being sexually defiled would add to the harsh consequences of losing. Harsh consequences are absent from most 4X games and it's something we all desire. A little humiliation, combined with smack talk from the perpetrators, would really make me think twice about leaving a system undefended. I mean, we're all very comfortable with MURDERING other players, which is what happens when you blow up their spaceships and bomb their planets. Surely, what I'm proposing is less morally questionable?

I just think that war should be something that is truly horrible and those that oppose it should feel as if they are fighting evil itself.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

We're all adults here. We all understand that in real-life, throughout the ages, when a ship was boarded by pirates, or when pirates raided a coastal village, rape was simply part of the deal. I wouldn't be bringing this up if it weren't for the promise of improved ground combat, but during boarding operations. I personally believe that a short animation (nothing X-rated) that simply suggests your soldiers are being sexually defiled would add to the harsh consequences of losing. Harsh consequences are absent from most 4X games and it's something we all desire. A little humiliation, combined with smack talk from the perpetrators, would really make me think twice about leaving a system undefended. I mean, we're all very comfortable with MURDERING other players, which is what happens when you blow up their spaceships and bomb their planets. Surely, what I'm proposing is less morally questionable?

I just think that war should be something that is truly horrible and those that oppose it should feel as if they are fighting evil itself.

uh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Shbobdb posted:

source your quotes

• Locked thread