Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Went out and did some stargazing last weekend. I like that you can see the Andromeda Galaxy faintly in the second picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

By the way, is there any good way to do portrait astrophotography? Basically, I think it would be fun to have a person or group of people in the foreground and the stars in the background. Would I have to raise the f-stop to get everything in focus and raise the ISO to compensate? Would it look okay if I used a flash (for the foreground) coupled with a 30 second exposure (for the background)?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
is 2 seconds long enough for a long-exposure post... if it's from the air?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

DorianGravy posted:

By the way, is there any good way to do portrait astrophotography? Basically, I think it would be fun to have a person or group of people in the foreground and the stars in the background. Would I have to raise the f-stop to get everything in focus and raise the ISO to compensate? Would it look okay if I used a flash (for the foreground) coupled with a 30 second exposure (for the background)?

You have them stand, hit them with a light then they cal walk away. Do your long exposure the same as you always would.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
Got lucky and got some good weather in February in Oregon, and went camping at the beach.

adgibson-20150217-IMG_6421 by A.D.Gibson, on Flickr

adgibson-20150216-IMG_6406 by A.D.Gibson, on Flickr

adgibson-20150217-IMG_6410 by A.D.Gibson, on Flickr

Pukestain Pal posted:

You have them stand, hit them with a light then they cal walk away. Do your long exposure the same as you always would.

Did that on this shot. Set everything up to expose for the stars, and than swept a big old 5-cell Mag light across the building for a bit.

Battery Russell at Night by A.D.Gibson, on Flickr

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not really sure where to post this but it's tangentally related, looking at the best time lapse photo app for android? There's an android app thread but this is a little more specific than the normal request so I figured I'd ask in The Dorkroom. Long exposure astronomy photography videos typically are a series of long exposures done in timelapse style (I think?)

I found Lapse It
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ui.LapseIt&hl=en

And Framelapse
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Nishant.Singh.DroidTimelapse&hl=en

Anything else I should look at? We have an ice storm (Dallas gets impressive ice storms that coat everything in 2-5mm of ice) rolling through tomorrow and I was going to task my spare cell phone with recording it over the next 36 hours with a photo every 90 seconds or 3 minutes or whatever.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Did that on this shot. Set everything up to expose for the stars, and than swept a big old 5-cell Mag light across the building for a bit.

Battery Russell at Night by A.D.Gibson, on Flickr

I'd love to see this shot with the rooms of that structure lit from inside instead of the outside of it evenly lit. Great shot regardless.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

I'd love to see this shot with the rooms of that structure lit from inside instead of the outside of it evenly lit. Great shot regardless.

I wanted something like that, but the thing it huge, the rooms don't connect all the way through, and lots of crap to trip over in the dark. There was a smaller bunker near by were I was able to pull something like that off. Set the shutter to a delay, ran inside and ran the flashlight over the ceiling.

adgibson-20150216-IMG_6393 by A.D.Gibson, on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

I wanted something like that, but the thing it huge, the rooms don't connect all the way through, and lots of crap to trip over in the dark. There was a smaller bunker near by were I was able to pull something like that off. Set the shutter to a delay, ran inside and ran the flashlight over the ceiling.

adgibson-20150216-IMG_6393 by A.D.Gibson, on Flickr

Yeah that earlier building looks huge. I like this shot a lot though and basically was what I was thinking about.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
There was a light festival thing going on in my city the other week, figured that would be a good time to get some long exposures. Most of them didn't turn out too great, but I got a couple I like bits of.

IMG_1972.jpg

Not a huge fan of the dust and stuff on the lens in this one, but I like the actual shot more compared to the second of the two:

IMG_1944.jpg.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Snowy night, unearthly glow

20150224-DSC_5442 by revbleech, on Flickr

Attempted some star photography on the Outer Banks last weekend. Not the results I hoped for, but the 45 minutes in 13 degree weather was still totally worth it. Probably would have had better results without the fisheye/ultra wide-angle adapter, but it was so cold I couldn't get it off.

20150220-DSC_5090 by revbleech, on Flickr

20150220-DSC_5080 by revbleech, on Flickr

20150220-DSC_5077 by revbleech, on Flickr

20150220-DSC_5076 by revbleech, on Flickr

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 1, 2015

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010
Track Crossing by thedoablebill, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Pretty sure the tripod shifted sometime during this exposure (3 hours long and the tripod was in the snow... shoulda dug it down a bit better instead of leaving it to settle). Still, this live composite mode definitely works.

P3030200 by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Mr. Despair posted:

Pretty sure the tripod shifted sometime during this exposure (3 hours long and the tripod was in the snow... shoulda dug it down a bit better instead of leaving it to settle). Still, this live composite mode definitely works.

P3030200 by MrDespair, on Flickr

this one turned out much better than your last one

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Orion at McLean Creek by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

I hope to get a lot more this year and get some practice.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Dren posted:

this one turned out much better than your last one

Which one exactly? This one?

P3080306.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

or this one?

P2280131.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Either way, the more I take the more I'm figuring things out.

Starting to wish I had a more stable tripod though. :nyoron:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Mr. Despair posted:

or this one?

P2280131.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

^^^

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

more screwing around with stuff

P3130532.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P3130530.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

20150319-DSC_5571 by revbleech, on Flickr

20150319-DSC_5592 by revbleech, on Flickr

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

City scapes at dusk/night aren't so bad...

20140420-DSC_1181 by Lord Baconwhistle, on Flickr

Alternate HDR thingy spit out by Luminance:

Seattle_0420_WeirdHDR by Lord Baconwhistle, on Flickr

Out in the pitch black and not really knowing where your infinity is? That is pretty bad...

20140913-DSC_2354
by Lord Baconwhistle, on Flickr

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 27, 2015

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

You know it is weird HDR, it is right there in the file name but you still decided to post it?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What a great idea, take a decent cityscape and then ruin all the contrast by cranking the sliders to maximum. And then put some blur on it so the whole image is out of focus.

:iiam:

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Every time I have an opportunity to take astrophotography pictures in dark zones, the moon is out full blast. gently caress you, moon.

Maybe I could get some moonscapes instead. Gonna try the 6D with the sigma 35mm 1.4

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
Took this during night ops on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier. One of the most dangerous places in the world to work. This guys is watching the landing area to ensure it's clear for the next incoming aircraft.

150407-N-ZA585-025 by jesusdoesvegas, on Flickr

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

First time trying either lightning or combining exposures. Some artifacts that I don't like from the processing, but I'll have to play with this stuff and learn it a little better.

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

Soopafly posted:

First time trying either lightning or combining exposures. Some artifacts that I don't like from the processing, but I'll have to play with this stuff and learn it a little better.

Hey first time lightning buddy!

I tried getting some for the first time as well. These are from late last month.

IMG_0160 by Den of Lies, on Flickr

IMG_0165 by Den of Lies, on Flickr

IMG_0171 by Den of Lies, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

from an excursion to Kalama and Longview, WA with MrBlandAverage & Mido

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ansel autisms posted:

Pointed 90 degrees to the right from that photo -

Down To Earth by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Den of Lies posted:

Hey first time lightning buddy!

May as well join the party, got my first successful attempts at lightning bolts last month too

20150409-DSC_6393 by revbleech, on Flickr

20150409-DSC_6397 by revbleech, on Flickr

20150409-DSC_6401 by revbleech, on Flickr

Could have had some great ones last September had I not had my ISO set too high :(

20140908-220151-DSC_3869 by revbleech, on Flickr

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

ansel autisms posted:

This is a good photo and I'm kind of in awe that this is a place that actually exists.

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
You're surprised a subway exists?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
It's a pretty unconventional location for a Subway.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Subways are oddly common in small town america which I figure that photo is a slice of. That's just the back lot of the store.

Like, I've seen them in places too small to even rate a McDonald's.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I'd really hope that my lounging porch wasn't next to Subway's dumpster.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

It's probably just the smoking break area for employees next door? Nice shot anyway.

Chinese Restaurant, Scarborough, April 2015 by Simon Deadman, on Flickr

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Got a photo cliche that I've been wanting to do since getting my camera at christmas, star trails! Used 185 8 second exposures to make this.

Hell's Bend stars by Alex Thorpe, on Flickr

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

May finally be getting the hang of getting some stars in a shot

20150524-DSC_6788 by revbleech, on Flickr

20150529-DSC_6904 by revbleech, on Flickr

20150530-DSC_7069 by revbleech, on Flickr

Now to try a less light-polluted environment later in the evening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

xzzy posted:

That's just the back lot of the store.

Who puts their franchise's sign above the porch where the employees smoke things and occasionally pee though?