Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
Is anyone a member of ISA? Can anyone tell me anything about it? I might become a member and part of the comittee at my school.

Oh, and does anyone know about experiences at Colgate-Palmolive? they have offered me an scholarship/internship and I would love to know more about them too.

Sweet As Sin fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 10, 2011

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Pfirti86 posted:

I've mentored multiple undergraduates in multi-year long projects. I also work collaboratively on projects across departments and universities with other researchers. Should I bring that up under 'leadership and teamwork'?

Sounds like it'd be a good idea to me...

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

The Moon Monster posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations on studying for the Fundamentals of Engineering (electrical) exam? I'll definitely need to study because some of the stuff on their I've only had maybe one physics 101 class about (fluid dynamics anyone?)

It looks like I'll need to buy something but if anyone has reccomendations that would be great.

Are you still in college or has it been a little while since you've graduated?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Wolfy posted:

Obviously if you went to MIT or a Top 10 program that's a kick up, but employers want to see a solid GPA and some internships/coops. At an average accredited program, these two factors will be far more important than the name of the school itself.

MIT actually isn't ABET-accredited! :eng101: Obviously, their name speaks for itself.
e: MIT is accredited, I lied above. Callahan why did you claim they were not! :argh:

In my opinion, engineering schools unconsciously sneak knowledge and the engineering-skillet into your brain. You are entirely responsible as a student for choosing and acquiring your knowledge base. I focused on classes that were very difficult to teach myself and required expensive lab equipment. Most other things I taught myself by doing various projects for fun (having no social life helps) and going to chat with profs during their office hours. Adaptability is the key word here; employers love an engineer who can rapidly master a new subject with no trouble/no whining.

The Moon Monster posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations on studying for the Fundamentals of Engineering (electrical) exam? I'll definitely need to study because some of the stuff on their I've only had maybe one physics 101 class about (fluid dynamics anyone?)

It looks like I'll need to buy something but if anyone has reccomendations that would be great.

I have a story about my FE exam (EE as well). Firstly, if you're made it through an engineering curriculum, it's easy as gently caress. They give you a giant reference manual. I bought the giant FE review book from amazon (the gold covered one everyone buys), and as much as I meant to study (I was looking forward to learning ME things actually), I never got around to it.

Pertaining to the morning part, I was required to take Statics, and I took Fluids and Thermo because I thought they sounded cool (at university). Even though I didn't remember much, it is still very much 'plug 'n chug', that reference manual is a godsend (I actually wish they'd sell it separately, wouldn't mind owning one). There were maybe two "biology" questions, since apparently they test that now.

Afternoon
Now, some loving oval office stole my loving calculator before the afternoon session of EE goodness. It was a bitchin' cool HP35S also (I suggest this model, BTW). I ended up passing just fine (:smug:), but god, that was such a kick in the balls, I hadn't done some of that math by hand for ages.

The EE afternoon was pretty easy. A little more analog/Circuits II type stuff than expected (Bode plots, etc), and since I don't do much of that, I was a little slow. Basic computer engineering is tested as well (state machines, flip flops, etc.). Basic signal processing as well, kind of a survey of each major "Track" of EE.

e: Computer science questions on the FE are loving one-based indexing, not zero and they do not tell you this bullshit. Also, spreadsheet questions!

tl;dr - buy this book and this calculator and even if you don't crack the book open, you will probably still pass. Passing is based (I think) off of how everyone does on that test, and remember how many lovely engineers (and engineering programs) are out there. I think at one point 98% of our department passed it on their first try.

movax fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 11, 2011

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

movax posted:

I have a story about my FE exam (EE as well). Firstly, if you're made it through an engineering curriculum, it's easy as gently caress. They give you a giant reference manual. I bought the giant FE review book from amazon (the gold covered one everyone buys), and as much as I meant to study (I was looking forward to learning ME things actually), I never got around to it.
The reference book is on the NCEES website and I printed it off for studying, heavily annotated it and used it when I took the PE exam, and still keep it as a reference on my desk.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

movax posted:

MIT actually isn't ABET-accredited! :eng101: Obviously, their name speaks for itself.
As cool as this sounds, a quick check on the ABET site says it is.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

grover posted:

The reference book is on the NCEES website and I printed it off for studying, heavily annotated it and used it when I took the PE exam, and still keep it as a reference on my desk.

Son of a bitch. Thanks, I just printed that out as well. Also, aren't you allowed to bring a large amount of reference to your PE exam? Like, anything you deem necessary? Or is that surveying...

Wolfy posted:

As cool as this sounds, a quick check on the ABET site says it is.
drat. My senior seminar prof claimed that was the fact, I accepted it as truth. Thanks for the clarification. :eng99:

movax fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 11, 2011

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

movax posted:

drat. My senior seminar prof claimed that was the fact, I accepted it as truth. Thanks for the clarification. :eng99:

Was he talking about grad school? As in, "even a MS from MIT isn't ABET accredited"?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

movax posted:

Son of a bitch. Thanks, I just printed that out as well. Also, aren't you allowed to bring a large amount of reference to your PE exam? Like, anything you deem necessary? Or is that surveying...
The PE exam is completely open book, with the only restriction being practicality. Civils will often set up shelves of books on their table because of nature of the test; most other disciplines are fine with a far more reasonable number of books. There are only a few restrictions, like pages can't be loose, they have to be securely bound (loose leaf is OK), and you can't bring books of sample problems in most states.

The PE exam is in no small part a test of how well you can use your references, so learn to use them well!

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Is typing a worthy note on a resume for an undergrad?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

huhu posted:

Is typing a worthy note on a resume for an undergrad?

I would assume you typed your resume... and in all honesty, this day in age, unless you're 40-50+ you really should know how to type. So I'd say no, that is not noteworthy.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Hand-draft your resume in crayon, it will leave a lasting impression with the hiring official.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I should clarify on WPM. I'm getting around 95 to 100wpm and I was curious as to what the average is and saw it was only 40 to 50.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Are you applying for secretary positions in the 90s? If not then no.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 10, 2023

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Pivot tables in excel are amazingly powerful. You can do a surprising amount of complicated logic routines and indirect table references without macros, too.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

grover posted:

Pivot tables in excel are amazingly powerful. You can do a surprising amount of complicated logic routines and indirect table references without macros, too.

You can probably write an entire OS in a single line of perl, that doesn't make it a good idea. ;)

Now that I haven't done some crazy things in excel myself.. wouldn't most people laugh at seeing that on a resume though?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

You can probably write an entire OS in a single line of perl, that doesn't make it a good idea. ;)

Now that I haven't done some crazy things in excel myself.. wouldn't most people laugh at seeing that on a resume though?

If you just put Excel, sure, but putting down Excel + VBA/Macros could be better.

Excel is really flexible in what you can abuse it to do, and has a robust interface exposed via .NET/Interop so you can use scripting or any .NET language to do stuff as well.

99.9% of the time though, instead of becoming a proper application that is actually software engineered, it will remain a string-wrapped bundle of .xls and .dll files that entire departments will depend on. This is true for any industry.

*goes back to doing PCB trace length checking in Excel*

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

movax posted:

Thats far worse than doing load flow analysis in excel. I guess I'm just spoiled by having a matlab license...

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

hobbesmaster posted:

Thats far worse than doing load flow analysis in excel. I guess I'm just spoiled by having a matlab license...

I'm really spoiled because I use software specifically designed for power system design, simulation and analysis. However, I'm working on getting a Matlab license or two for our office. It would come in handy when we're converting generator/governor/AVR models developed with Simulink for use in our software.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
What's the importance of having an exact match with your major and future job goal? The local University offers Civil engineering as a bachelor's with environmental classes and electives, and a Master's in Environmental engineering. Is getting a Civil BS enough to work as an Environmental Engineer?

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Environmental Engineers can be almost anything. You'll have schools that have it as its own discipline, others that put it with Civil, I've seen Chemical Engineers that took Environmental options, I'm sure somewhere out there there's a Mechanical Engineering program with an environmental option.

Look at the type of environmental engineering you want to do. If you want to look at things like pollution, dirt, water, community planning, green buildings, or things like that you might want a Civil degree. If you want to build wind turbines, energy efficient devices, or things like that you probably want a mechanical engineering degree. If you want to go into power systems it could be a wide number of degrees. Fish and wildlife could be a biological engineering degree of some sort. With a chemical engineering degree you could do process work, all sorts of things with pollution, water treatment, testing, rehabilitation...

If you want to do environmental work you can do it with any degree. If there's not a specific program at your school with Environmental Engineering, look at the type of work you want to do and get the degree that involves that, then look for jobs in a company that does Environmental work.

Honestly, a lot of the people that I know that got degrees specifically for Environmental Engineering seem to spend all their time writing impact assesments, which is important but seems incredibly boring to me. On the other hand, I know a number of people that had other degrees and now do projects in green energy, environmental monitoring, water treatment and treatment of industrial process waste. So yeah, it's really more what you do with it that matters.

What's more important is your first few jobs. Your experience defines your worth, so it's hard to get out of whatever general line of work you start out in unless you're willing to take a reasonable cut in salary.

kriminal
Oct 18, 2004
EE doing masters here.

Finally was able to land a co-op in HVAC yay!.

However I am an international student and would need sponsorship to get a full time job after graduation, and reading this thread shows a bleak future.

Are there any field engineering jobs that might be easier to get the sponsorship with? Honestly at this point I don't care if they send me to the north pole or a rig for 6 months.

My other option is a doctorate or go back (and going back to my country to make 500$ a month is not really an option).

Great thread !

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Wewp, finally got a (first) job. I actually start tomorrow. Kind of nervous, but it's just orientation.

It's at a Space/satellite company. Reliability engineer is my title.

Aluminum Record
Feb 2, 2008

When you rip off the breakaway pants, thrust your pelvis toward the bachelorette.
I have an interview tomorrow at XCel Energy and I'm nervous as poo poo :confused:

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

Aluminum Record posted:

I have an interview tomorrow at XCel Energy and I'm nervous as poo poo :confused:

I was a consultant for Xcel Energy (North) a few years ago. The folks were pretty cool and very helpful.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Aluminum Record posted:

good luck, I had one a few months ago. It went well and they liked me but I didn't get the job as they decided to go with someone else who actually had experience lol

Aluminum Record
Feb 2, 2008

When you rip off the breakaway pants, thrust your pelvis toward the bachelorette.
Thanks, I think it went well. Interviewed with 2 young guys, and they were going very cookie cutter with the interview reading the questions directly from a paper and jotting down notes on my answers. I'm glad I can read upside down because while they were looking down noting my answers I was able to sneak a peak at the next question and start thinking about my answer before they looked up and asked it :pervert:

luvs2Bgraded
Jan 22, 2003

Aluminum Record posted:

Thanks, I think it went well. Interviewed with 2 young guys, and they were going very cookie cutter with the interview reading the questions directly from a paper and jotting down notes on my answers. I'm glad I can read upside down because while they were looking down noting my answers I was able to sneak a peak at the next question and start thinking about my answer before they looked up and asked it :pervert:

Gotta love the generic HR questions they ask you.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

SubCrid TC posted:

Environmental Engineers can be almost anything. You'll have schools that have it as its own discipline, others that put it with Civil, I've seen Chemical Engineers that took Environmental options, I'm sure somewhere out there there's a Mechanical Engineering program with an environmental option.

Look at the type of environmental engineering you want to do. If you want to look at things like pollution, dirt, water, community planning, green buildings, or things like that you might want a Civil degree. If you want to build wind turbines, energy efficient devices, or things like that you probably want a mechanical engineering degree. If you want to go into power systems it could be a wide number of degrees. Fish and wildlife could be a biological engineering degree of some sort. With a chemical engineering degree you could do process work, all sorts of things with pollution, water treatment, testing, rehabilitation...

If you want to do environmental work you can do it with any degree. If there's not a specific program at your school with Environmental Engineering, look at the type of work you want to do and get the degree that involves that, then look for jobs in a company that does Environmental work.

Honestly, a lot of the people that I know that got degrees specifically for Environmental Engineering seem to spend all their time writing impact assesments, which is important but seems incredibly boring to me. On the other hand, I know a number of people that had other degrees and now do projects in green energy, environmental monitoring, water treatment and treatment of industrial process waste. So yeah, it's really more what you do with it that matters.

What's more important is your first few jobs. Your experience defines your worth, so it's hard to get out of whatever general line of work you start out in unless you're willing to take a reasonable cut in salary.

I have a lot of great advisers to speak with if I want to pick a general career path based on my abilities or level of greed or what I want to do, and a lot of advice for picking classes to get into a given University.

I don't have anyone I know to really sit down and make a battle plan for EnvE, or even exactly what it is or does. My big "I WANNA DO THIS" thing is with water resources, cleaning up spills which have already happened, or 'sustainable use of the land', if there is such a specialization.

Do you know a good place to get advising about this besides corporate recruiters or consultants? I don't have $125/hr to drop.

Aluminum Record
Feb 2, 2008

Aaaaah I don't know what to do...I know I shouldn't be complaining to be in a position like this but I'm so torn haha...

I'm an Electrical Engineering major, and I now have 2 offers for summer internships. 1 is at a company that does integrated circuit design with a focus on DRAM design. It would pay $13.00/hour, with the upside being that it is in my hometown, so I can live at home and not pay rent. On the flipside, I was just offered an internship at XCel Energy, for $17.00/hour with the potential for continuing work during the school year 10-20 hours per week as a Power System Protection Engineer Intern.

I feel like whatever I choose now is gonna define my career path (as one guy put it, I've gotta choose which side of the decimal point I want to be on). If I choose the circuit design job it'll be much harder for me to move to power in the future, and vice versa. I'm at a sort of crossroads and don't know which way to go.

I will say that I have more of an interest in circuit design. I like tinkering with electronics and soldering and building projects, but then some say don't make your hobby your career unless you want to end up hating it.

Can anyone comment on the job outlook of either? Power is always going to be here...I also had something of an interest in working in a nuclear power plant, so the XCel job would help a lot in moving in that direction.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Aluminum Record posted:

Aaaaah I don't know what to do...I know I shouldn't be complaining to be in a position like this but I'm so torn haha...

I'm an Electrical Engineering major, and I now have 2 offers for summer internships. 1 is at a company that does integrated circuit design with a focus on DRAM design. It would pay $13.00/hour, with the upside being that it is in my hometown, so I can live at home and not pay rent. On the flipside, I was just offered an internship at XCel Energy, for $17.00/hour with the potential for continuing work during the school year 10-20 hours per week as a Power System Protection Engineer Intern.

I feel like whatever I choose now is gonna define my career path (as one guy put it, I've gotta choose which side of the decimal point I want to be on). If I choose the circuit design job it'll be much harder for me to move to power in the future, and vice versa. I'm at a sort of crossroads and don't know which way to go.

I will say that I have more of an interest in circuit design. I like tinkering with electronics and soldering and building projects, but then some say don't make your hobby your career unless you want to end up hating it.

Can anyone comment on the job outlook of either? Power is always going to be here...I also had something of an interest in working in a nuclear power plant, so the XCel job would help a lot in moving in that direction.

I'd take the IC design job. You will not have time during school to perform a good job as an intern at the same time, trust me. I told my co-op that I would continue to work part-time when I went back to school, and it was waaay too much.

IMHO, you should explore whatever you want while you're in school. You can still get an entry level power job when you leave school if that's what you want, or just join a research project that's related to power for a few months to gain experience. I don't really care for power, but I spent six months doing a research project building high-efficiency DC/DC converters and got a paper/co-patent out of it. I do hardware/software now.

Getting a copy of Power Electronics by Hart and skimming through that will do you wonders for any power interview. You'd be surprised how many fresh EE graduates have no idea how basic SMPS works.

e: what is your avatar from?

RogueLemming
Sep 11, 2006

Spinning or Deformed?

2banks1swap.avi posted:

I have a lot of great advisers to speak with if I want to pick a general career path based on my abilities or level of greed or what I want to do, and a lot of advice for picking classes to get into a given University.

I don't have anyone I know to really sit down and make a battle plan for EnvE, or even exactly what it is or does. My big "I WANNA DO THIS" thing is with water resources, cleaning up spills which have already happened, or 'sustainable use of the land', if there is such a specialization.

Do you know a good place to get advising about this besides corporate recruiters or consultants? I don't have $125/hr to drop.

It sounds like you're looking at either civil (hydraulics, water use, sustainable site design) or chemical (water treatment processes, pollution remediation). For reference, I'm a civil.

To answer your original question, unless you pull a complete 180 (i.e., trying to get into enviro from EE), as long as your BS is somewhat relevant you can get into the field. A lot of engineers I meet work in areas only slightly related to their undergrad work or early careers. You won't be locked in.

I can't say much for ChemE, but there are a few other considerations for Civil. It's a broad degree. Realize that you will also have to take classes in areas like structures, geotech and transportation, so be aware that you'll have to motivate yourself through a few classes that don't interest you. Also, most civils have to get their masters (it is becoming a requirement to sit for the PE), although usually your employer will pay for it. Last, as a civil, other engineering disciplines will think you are retarded. So it goes.

For further advice, any university of a decent size should have an engineering fair (usually twice a year). Check to see if you can attend even if you're not a student. Find companies that do work you're interested in and ask them what degrees/qualifications they look for.

You could also try looking up professors that teach enviro classes. Just shoot them an email and say its something you're interested in. Most of my profs have either worked in industry (ideal for what you want), or consult for companies. Politely ask if you can pick their brains a bit or schedule a meeting. The worst they can do in say no or not respond...just don't waste their time with stupid or trivial questions.

Aluminum Record
Feb 2, 2008

movax posted:

e: what is your avatar from?

It's from an old episode of Veronica Mars

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006

2banks1swap.avi posted:

I'm just finishing up my degree in Environmental Engineering now (just locked up a postgrad job today woo woo). The work you're suggesting you'd like to do fits the job descriptions of a lot of the jobs my colleagues have had during co-op work terms and that I've looked at personally.

Another thing to consider is a degree in Water Resources Engineering, which focuses more on macroscale water stuff. I.e. water use plans for larger areas (hydrology), stormwater modeling (boring) and infrastructure development, and water use in rural environments (a VERY big and profitable firm, water is expensive poo poo as it turns out).

If you'd like to do something with spill stuff, a great way to go would be to get a degree in hydrogeology, or hydrogeotechnical engineering if you could. These guys are highly specialized and it's a hard field to break into with just an enviro or civil degree.

If your dream jobs are what you listed I'd really suggest going the environmental route, as you're gonna skip all the structural stuff in a civil degree (and thus remove the temptation to do infrastructure work (though this is also a possibility with an enviro degree)), and the extreme process design of a chem degree.

My university, the University of Guelph is actually quite good for this field. I've heard a lot of the west coast schools in the states are also good, like UC Berkeley and Davis for example.

One thing I will say is do NOT get an environmental science degree, you'll be counting fish in ponds and making 50% of our salaries.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

RogueLemming posted:

It sounds like you're looking at either civil (hydraulics, water use, sustainable site design) or chemical (water treatment processes, pollution remediation). For reference, I'm a civil.

To answer your original question, unless you pull a complete 180 (i.e., trying to get into enviro from EE), as long as your BS is somewhat relevant you can get into the field. A lot of engineers I meet work in areas only slightly related to their undergrad work or early careers. You won't be locked in.

I can't say much for ChemE, but there are a few other considerations for Civil. It's a broad degree. Realize that you will also have to take classes in areas like structures, geotech and transportation, so be aware that you'll have to motivate yourself through a few classes that don't interest you. Also, most civils have to get their masters (it is becoming a requirement to sit for the PE), although usually your employer will pay for it. Last, as a civil, other engineering disciplines will think you are retarded. So it goes.

For further advice, any university of a decent size should have an engineering fair (usually twice a year). Check to see if you can attend even if you're not a student. Find companies that do work you're interested in and ask them what degrees/qualifications they look for.

You could also try looking up professors that teach enviro classes. Just shoot them an email and say its something you're interested in. Most of my profs have either worked in industry (ideal for what you want), or consult for companies. Politely ask if you can pick their brains a bit or schedule a meeting. The worst they can do in say no or not respond...just don't waste their time with stupid or trivial questions.

I'm getting an AA right now, I haven't deviated away from the common prereqs at all yet.

I'm fine with doing Civil; my big concern is that retarded H.R. will go "Civil isn't Environmental!" and make it hard to get a job once I graduate. I realize that three years from now the economy will hopefully be better, but I'm still trying to make sure that as many bets as possible are hedged. I've heard Civil Engineering itself is in a rough spot, but I hope it will have recovered by the time I graduate.

Corrupt Cypher posted:

I'm just finishing up my degree in Environmental Engineering now (just locked up a postgrad job today woo woo). The work you're suggesting you'd like to do fits the job descriptions of a lot of the jobs my colleagues have had during co-op work terms and that I've looked at personally.

Another thing to consider is a degree in Water Resources Engineering, which focuses more on macroscale water stuff. I.e. water use plans for larger areas (hydrology), stormwater modeling (boring) and infrastructure development, and water use in rural environments (a VERY big and profitable firm, water is expensive poo poo as it turns out).

If you'd like to do something with spill stuff, a great way to go would be to get a degree in hydrogeology, or hydrogeotechnical engineering if you could. These guys are highly specialized and it's a hard field to break into with just an enviro or civil degree.

If your dream jobs are what you listed I'd really suggest going the environmental route, as you're gonna skip all the structural stuff in a civil degree (and thus remove the temptation to do infrastructure work (though this is also a possibility with an enviro degree)), and the extreme process design of a chem degree.

My university, the University of Guelph is actually quite good for this field. I've heard a lot of the west coast schools in the states are also good, like UC Berkeley and Davis for example.

One thing I will say is do NOT get an environmental science degree, you'll be counting fish in ponds and making 50% of our salaries.

Thanks! I've looked into geo type stuff - seems like that would be ideal if I wanted to do research or get a master's on top of it more than go to work with a Bachelor's. Is this an accurate assessment on my part?

For everyone:
How important is GPA for EnviroE, CivilE, or, well, anything? Granted you're trying to get a job, not get into grad school? I've got a mediocre B- average - is this going to hurt me? Mind you I'm just now in Calc1, so I'm far from stuck here.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
If you're still taking calc classes, you still have the meat of your engineering classes to go. For full time stuff, they'll only really care about your in major GPA, which you probably still have to build up.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I just made my schedule for my first semester of my masters. Holy poo poo, grad school is going to be awesome. Classes on digital image processing, robotics and FPGA programming sound so much more awesome than what I have spent the last four years on. Hell yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

movax posted:

If you just put Excel, sure, but putting down Excel + VBA/Macros could be better.

Excel is really flexible in what you can abuse it to do, and has a robust interface exposed via .NET/Interop so you can use scripting or any .NET language to do stuff as well.

99.9% of the time though, instead of becoming a proper application that is actually software engineered, it will remain a string-wrapped bundle of .xls and .dll files that entire departments will depend on. This is true for any industry.

Most major manufacturing corporations have some type of lean principles/Kaizen these days; which are 100% data driven. Definitely don't underestimate what a strong background in Excel/Access or Hyperion can get you.