Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Sorry, had to do it : http://www.grapheine.com/bombaytv/art-en-7e76d2a8d37f2b9eedf3bbe56fd59fe4.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Sh4, turns out you were right about the voltage regulator. It was fine. What wasn't fine was the DC headlight housing. My electrical system hated how much power it drew. As soon as I disconnected it, my LED turn signals and gauge started working flawlessly. After poking around with a multimeter to find the correct wires, I rigged up a 55 watt Hella H3 fog lamp to run on off of the original headlight wiring. The front turn signals are for bar ends, but I have them mounted to the leg shield until I drill a hole in the handle bars to route the wiring. I'm slowly building a harness for the new gauge, and may get a matching tachometer/temperature sensor, so the wiring looks a bit jumbled at the moment. Also, I discovered that my high beam switch is broken. In the low beam position, it sends 12+ volts to the low beam wire. In the high beam position, it sends no signal at all to any of the wires. In the flash-to-pass position, it sends 24 volts to the low beam wire, which explains why I kept blowing incandescent headlight bulbs. I may not replace that switch, as the plan is to swap that engine into a Honda Ruckus soon, and I may wind up using the Ruckus controls.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rugoberta Munchu fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 19, 2013

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Right on. I saw several people (from Seattle, Tacoma, or Portland) in there that I know.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Right on. I saw several people (from Seattle, Tacoma, or Portland) in there that I know.

Good to hear, which is the proper hear/here to use in this situation, unlike my previous post. :D

Man, the 2T smell and smoke! It was glorious. :D

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

cheese eats mouse posted:

:) :hf: I'm getting mine this Friday.

Awesome. You got a great color too. Mine was blue before, after I put the white-wall tires on, it never looked right. I bought all of the black plastics from the dealer and turned it factory black. I also bought the JDM(YO) factory brake light and turn signals. It turned out pretty classy.

The Vino 125 is a great bike. I bought it new and over 6000 miles later the bike hasn't had a single problem.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
Couple questions about routine maintenance/checkup stuff. If it matters I have a 2006 Reflex.

In which of the situations below is it okay/accurate to (A) Check my oil, (B) check my tire pressure, (C) check my coolant:

1) When I first go out to my bike in the morning after it's been sitting all night.
2) After letting the bike warm up for a few minutes, not driving anywhere.
3) After a 5-10 minute drive to the gas station.
4) After a 30+ minute ride, where the engine temp is about halfway up the thermostat.
5) At lunchtime, after bike was ridden to work but it's sat for a few hours.

These are basic questions but I can never seem to remember when I'm supposed to check these things for accurate readings.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

Awesome. You got a great color too. Mine was blue before, after I put the white-wall tires on, it never looked right. I bought all of the black plastics from the dealer and turned it factory black. I also bought the JDM(YO) factory brake light and turn signals. It turned out pretty classy.

The Vino 125 is a great bike. I bought it new and over 6000 miles later the bike hasn't had a single problem.

What exhaust is that? I really like it. Sexy looking scooter. Right now I'm scared to put too much money in mine just for it to get lifted. *sigh* My insurance does cover up to 2K of extras on the bike.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

TylerC 2.0 posted:

Good sire I drive a Honda Elite 150 Deluxe with foot warmers, a automatic headlight, and pulsating neon lights. I would never be caught on a plebeian, garish Ruckus :smug:

Really though I want one so I can stop leaving my buddy in the dust :smug: :smug:

I hope this isn't bad tact to quote a 2+ year old post, but this beautiful specimen seems like a nice way to STEER the conversation back towards the Honda Elite series.

The styling just calls to me, but I recall someone mentioning that tall guys looked goofy on it...anyone want to just crush my dreams? I'm 6'4/190 so not too gangly-like...the 150 specifically is what I'm most interested in, mostly just for city travel.

Thanks in advance for any input, I'm itching to dive into the scooter scene.

e: I absolutely appreciate riding a scooter in general can be considered goofy to some; I'm not one of them, just don't want to appear ridiculously mismatched

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 21, 2013

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
My boyfriend is 6'2"/3" and rode around on a Spree. I think you'll be fine.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

cheese eats mouse posted:

What exhaust is that? I really like it. Sexy looking scooter. Right now I'm scared to put too much money in mine just for it to get lifted. *sigh* My insurance does cover up to 2K of extras on the bike.

It's an NCY exhaust that I bought from scooterworks. For some reason they don't sell it on their site anymore. It sounds nice and thumpy given that the engine operates in a fairly RPM range. It made the bike a bit faster as well, I went from being able to do 55 mph stock to 62-3ish mph (indicated) after the exhaust. As long as it's flat the bike easily maintains that speed if I tuck down. I take short trips on the highway from time to time on it without issue.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
It's super easy to bounce up mini-wheelies on the vino BTW :v:

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Nvm fixed.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 28, 2013

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
This weekend I borrowed a friend's Vespa Granturismo 200, as my Stella's broken and this weekend was the first big Seattle rally of the year (Los Gatos Gordos' Meant to Offend) and she has other scooters to ride. And trusts me, apparently.

I've only been on a modern Vespa once before: a GTS 300 Super, but only for a few minutes. I remember it feeling balanced, lighter than I expected, and VERY torquey and quick off the line. Other than that few minute trip the last time I really spent time on a CVT bike was before I sold my Vino 125 in early '11. I've only ridden my Stella since so all the comparisons here will be to that.

At low speeds it is balanced and stable and the CVT's action smooth enough be transparent. It is not quite as nimble as my Stella (as to be expected with bigger wheels, a longer wheelbase, and 50+ extra pounds). The seating position relative to the bars makes it easier to get to lock, though - even at my short 5'8" the Stella's bars hit my knees, which is not a problem on the GT. Above parking-lot speeds the bike feels very stable: it turns in easily and just holds the line at any speed. The Stella requires constant attention as it's short wheels and lovely suspension design react to every imperfection in the pavement, which in Seattle means all of the pavement. I was not impressed with the Pirellis on the GT, as I seemed to feel some slide in them at lean angles and corner speeds that the Zippy 1s on my Stella would have been fine on.

On the subject of suspension, the bike was comfortable without being floaty and communicated the road without ever being jarring or unstable, even at 70mph on I-5 through Seattle, which has an awful lot of seams and bumps and cracks.

The power was very good. Acceleration was quick for a scooter but it never felt like it put the G-forces into you. You'd twist the throttle and it'd feel like barely anything was happening (and you wouldn't even hear the exhaust) and then you'd be doing 60. It accelerated pretty well at the top of the speedo, too, taking me from 60 indicated to past 70 with enough haste to make passing a possibility. On group riding this weekend it pretty much left all the two-stroke bikes in the dust... when all the Stellas and vintage 150 Vespas were struggling to hold 35mph up long hills the GT comfortable accelerated up to 50+ to pass them. A buddy with a well-kitted vintage bike (Stella motor, ported Polini 177, JL exhaust, 24/24 carb, cut crank, all dialled in) and I did some informal roll-ons around 40-60 and it was close, but the GT would always end up pulling away. There was no drama or excitement anywhere in the accleration, it just got it done.

I had kind of forgotten about the rubber-band feeling of CVTs. When going from part-throttle at, say, 35mph, and twisting it to the stop, you'd feel the CVT "downshift" for a second before the bike really took off. It felt like riding a PWC, where you press the throttle but the vessel has to plane on the water before it really starts to go. This CVT was better than the one on the Vino 125, though, from what I remember: responded more quickly and kept the engine in the power up hills. A variator or maybe just lighter weights or sliders would probably help the responsiveness.

The brakes were fantastic. The rear was totally adequate to stop the bike even at speed and the front was excellent. In combination the bike stopped in a loving hurry. Probably the best part about the GT. It could be hard to feel when the rear locked up, however, which was irritating.

Comfort was pretty good, though I missed the bench-style seat from my Stella that gives me so much variety in seating position. Seat height is about the same as my Stella - I could tippy-toe both with my short legs or put one foot down - but the seat is so wide that it felt higher. The textured material of the seat made it hard to slide around, again making me miss the smoother vinyl of my Stella.

All told I think the GT was a very impressive machine. It did everything I asked of it smoothly and without drama... which also made it boring. It made me both miss my Vino 125 (the GT would be a perfect scale-up from that) and remember why I sold it. I like shifting. 35mph on the Stella is more engaging than 55mph on the GT. Accelerating on the Stella, though slower, is much more engaging than accelerating on the GT: shifting, staying in the power band, all that noise. Objectively the GT is better in every way. But subjectively...

My riding friends at the rally kept asking whether or not I'd buy one, and I'm torn. I've been thinking very seriously about getting a Zuma 125 so I'd have a bike I can fully depend on and after this weekend I'll be looking at GT200s as well, as used ones do sometimes end up well below $3k. Any modern bike would leave me able to work on my Stella at my leisure, including kitting it out, which I've always hesitated on so I'd have it ready to ride. But how long would it take me to get bored of it? Once I get some seat time on my Stella again I suspect I'll forget about the GT. Several friends - including the one than leant me the GT - have moved from their modern 4-stroke autos to objectively-worse 2-stroke shifty bikes - and far fewer have gone the other way. I guess that's telling.

With a noisier exhaust and some CVT work, though, I think the GT would be a VERY fun commuter...

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
If I'm completely new to scooters, is there a particular one I should look for? Or maybe some general rules/things to watch out for, other than Chinese scooters? I'm assuming it's a good idea to buy a used one off craigslist, but there's a huge variety and so many factors I don't even know about. What about price range? Is it feasible to find a nice used scooter that works fine for under $1000 dollars? I live on top of a hill so I think I'll need more than a 50cc.

Also, there's a motorcycle safety and training course that I can take (with like a 3-4 month waitlist, unfortunately). Should I take that first, or buy one and get my bearings before taking the class?

Rubber Slug fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 29, 2013

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

smile :]

Rubber Slug posted:

If I'm completely new to scooters, is there a particular one I should look for? Or maybe some general rules/things to watch out for, other than Chinese scooters? I'm assuming it's a good idea to a used one off craigslist, but there's a huge variety and so many factors I don't even know about. What about price range? Is it feasible to find a nice used scooter that works fine for under $1000 dollars? I live on top of a hill so I think I'll need more than a 50cc.

Also, there's a motorcycle safety and training course that I can take (with like a 3-4 month waitlist, unfortunately). Should I take that first, or buy one and get my bearings before taking the class?

It's probably not feasible to find a 51+cc scooter for less than a thousand, but it depends largely on where you live - urban and metro areas tend to have way, way better variety and prices than a small town. Take a look around CL and look for bikes from the main manufacturers in the OP - vespa, piaggio, yamaha, suzuki, honda, kymco, SYM, aprilia all tend to be legit. I saw an Elite 80 on CL for like 1200 a few weeks ago, so... you know, spin the wheel.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
So something like this might raise your eyebrows? This one's just a few hundred more, but seems like a great deal.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Those are both solid bikes. The Riva will have more power in it though.

There's also a difference in some 50cc bikes. If given the choice I'd choose a Yamaha Zuma 50 over a Honda Metro 50 due to brakes and size.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Rubber Slug posted:

So something like this might raise your eyebrows? This one's just a few hundred more, but seems like a great deal.

Based on the locale of those CL ads, there are bikesmart safety/training courses in San Jose as well with a much shorter waitlist. (or at least that was the case when I took it a month ago and Cabrillo was backlogged)

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

I've got this Chinese GY6 scooter. Yesterday I hit a bump and all the electrics on the center console died. Found that it's blowing fuses. I've replaced three so far, but after about 5 minutes of driving it blows again. Reading up it seems like there is a short to ground somewhere. What would be the best way to find out where it is and are there any hot spots to check? Getting all the body panels off to check the wiring is a huge pain and I would like to check some trouble spots first.

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin
I'm looking at 3 scooters at my local shop: Genuine Buddy 125, Kymco People 150, and Kymco Like 200. Anyone have any experience or reviews with these? All are new and the same price more or less. Primary use of bike would be 10 minute in town commute to work, and occasional through town trip to the lake and things like that. Will be first bike.

I like the look of the People the best, including the larger wheels, but apparently the model isn't made anymore, so I don't know what to take from that. The size of the Like is noticeably bigger and it comes with the trunk thing. The Buddy is cool and has plenty of color options, but I wonder how much of a difference the engine size would make. I think I'm leaning People, Like, then Buddy.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

tuckfard posted:

I'm looking at 3 scooters at my local shop: Genuine Buddy 125, Kymco People 150, and Kymco Like 200. Anyone have any experience or reviews with these? All are new and the same price more or less. Primary use of bike would be 10 minute in town commute to work, and occasional through town trip to the lake and things like that. Will be first bike.

I like the look of the People the best, including the larger wheels, but apparently the model isn't made anymore, so I don't know what to take from that. The size of the Like is noticeably bigger and it comes with the trunk thing. The Buddy is cool and has plenty of color options, but I wonder how much of a difference the engine size would make. I think I'm leaning People, Like, then Buddy.

I don't know anything about scooters, but if you're looking at new scooters in the 125-200 range, you should also consider looking at the Piaggio Fly 150 (2014) - assuming you are in the US or another country that got the 3v version.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

tuckfard posted:

Any one of those would be a drat good scoot to get. Personally, I'd go with the Like first, since it would be the fastest, then the People, and lastly, the Buddy.

Here are some reviews:
People 150
Like 200i
Buddy

The last one is quite old. :)

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
I've been fiddling with a clutch issue for about a week now, and I've pretty much had it. The clutch lever won't spring shut anymore, luckily the culprit seems pretty obvious.

Is there anything I can do to get that thing back in place myself? The scooter won't drive without the clutch, so to take it to my local shop I'd have to borrow a truck, tie it down, transport it, etc, and I'd really hate to do all of that if there is a DIY solution...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Was anybody from this thread at the Moto Scoot rally in Milwaukee this past weekend? It was awesome!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So what are some brands to gravitate towards and what are ones to steer clear of?

I'm in the market to buy a scooter now but I have no idea what to be looking for. I've been going through the Boise Craigslist page and seen scooters priced anywhere from $800 to $2500 on average (sure, there are some more, but most fall in that range). I'm just not sure what price range I should be aiming for and what brands I should be looking out for.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Use the brands in this list to help you narrow down what's on Craigslist
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3295850&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post375770796

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Yup, pretty much this list here. On caveat there is though the Stella is cool, I wouldn't get one as a starter scoot. The Buddy is fine, but the Stella is a touch finicky to start with. Especially the 2 stroke ones. Now if you get the itch down the road, and want to get your hands dirty, then a Stella 2t would be right up your alley.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Thank you for posting this, it is frustrating to see people forget about OPs!!

SpannerX posted:

Yup, pretty much this list here. On caveat there is though the Stella is cool, I wouldn't get one as a starter scoot. The Buddy is fine, but the Stella is a touch finicky to start with. Especially the 2 stroke ones. Now if you get the itch down the road, and want to get your hands dirty, then a Stella 2t would be right up your alley.

True. The Indian LML-made Stellas are finicky bitches (I've had mine 4 years now I am qualified to complain) and the 2-strokes definitely require you learning to get your hands dirty, but the Taiwanese PGO-made modern types are solid.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Would love some opinions on these scooters:

http://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/3851556908.html
http://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/3828863286.html
http://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/3827160284.html

I'm just aiming for something around $1500ish and all of these seemed pretty decent.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

I'm just aiming for something around $1500ish and all of these seemed pretty decent.

How decent are the Sym and Kymco dealers near you? If the Kymco dealer is good, go with the People. If not, get the Vino, the Yamaha dealer must be at least decent. I say this knowing that they are all reliable scoots, but if you have an issue, you want someone near that can deal with it. That having been said, the People would be my choice, and an independent motorcycle shop would be willing to deal with it, if you have a good one in your area.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Mordiceius posted:

These are all solid choices for sure, and look to be pretty fair prices at that. SpannerX is right about considering your local shops... most independent motorcycle shops will probably have no problem taking in a Yamaha scooter but some may not know what to do with a SYM or Kymco. Not that any of them should require much work beyond basic maintenance - and you could always skip all that and order the parts online and learn to do everything yourself - but it's nice to have a safety net, I guess.

The Kymco will likely be a little torquier (163cc vs. 125cc) and big wheels will probably make it more stable on bad roads but also less nimble. Tire choices may be more limited.

Since they should all be solid bikes, don't forget subjective measurements. Which looks the best to you? Which is most comfortable? If you can't arrange with the sellers to sit on them/test ride them maybe go to the local dealerships to have an up-close look. I have walked up 100% intending to buy a particular scooter before and lost all interest after sitting on it for a minute.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I haven't looked into scooters for a while - how did the Stella 4 stroke turn out?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I'm 6'2" and had problems fitting on a Ruckus. Would I have the same issue on an Elite or a Metropolitan? Cycle-ergo says "probably" but I figured I'd check.

I didn't have any problems fitting on a Hyosung scooter in Key West if that helps.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Metro definitely. Not sure on elite.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Dead Pressed posted:

Metro definitely. Not sure on elite.

Yeah, Metros are tiny. I fit okay on one but I'm 5'8".

MJP you should look at Zumas, they are a bit bigger and the 2-strokes have a bit more pep.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I fit fine on my elite 80 and I'm 6'1".

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
What about the Yamaha Vino? Looks to be as close to the Metro as one can get so I'm guessing it's a big negatory if I want to keep my kneecaps intact.

Unrelated topic: is there such a product as sport touring-style hard cases that aren't trunks? I always loved the look of Honda ST/BMW-style hard cases on the sides of those bikes and it'd be nifty if whatever I end up getting has them.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I'm 5'7" and my kneecaps don't like my Vino sometimes.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

MJP posted:

Unrelated topic: is there such a product as sport touring-style hard cases that aren't trunks? I always loved the look of Honda ST/BMW-style hard cases on the sides of those bikes and it'd be nifty if whatever I end up getting has them.

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I got some semi-cheap hardened leather saddle bags from River Road that work great. Much better than a flimsy top case, if you ask me (these aren't exactly the same as what I have, but you can see how the strap works).

The lace-up strap lays over the underseat compartment and the seat closes and locks over it. The laces allow you to adjust for length. They're very sturdy, and have combination locks on them. These are mine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

MJP posted:

I'm 6'2" and had problems fitting on a Ruckus. Would I have the same issue on an Elite or a Metropolitan? Cycle-ergo says "probably" but I figured I'd check.

I didn't have any problems fitting on a Hyosung scooter in Key West if that helps.

I'm 6'1 and an Elite 150 gets me around just fine. In fact, if you're near KS at all I've been contemplating selling mine...