Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Rangi, I'll go ahead and give you The Evil Dead.

Unforgiven: I really dug the way that Unforgiven deconstructed the glamour and mystique of Old West towns and their inhabitants, and as is to be expected from an Eastwood picture the performances are all great. I also loved the way that the 'The Kid' character basically represented the audience, who have bought in to the "isn't Wild West life loving awesome?!" stuff that Eastwood's character is there to disprove.

I do think, however, that it was a little too long. Plus I think I'm almost there but I don't quite understand why English Bob was involved in the story. Still, a solid 4/5 for Unforgiven.

NEW LIST:

The Apartment: Had this forever, never got round to watching it. I'm a big fan of comedies with heart, and I'm told The Apartment is a big influence on the styles of comedy I enjoy.

Citizen Kane: I've held back on watching this simply because I almost feel like I don't know enough about its significance to truly enjoy it. Seinfeld Isn't Funny syndrome, if you will. But hey, now I have the time to actually research it first!

The Godfather Trilogy: Pretty much the pop culture osmosis mentioned in the OP, really.

Infernal Affairs Trilogy: I fuckin' love The Departed, and keep meaning to get into foreign films. This seems like as good a place as any to start.

8 1/2: I'm scared to loving death that I just won't 'get' this movie, pretty piss-poor excuse not to watch something I know, plus as I said above I'm trying to broaden my horizons, as it were.

The Man With No Name trilogy: Picked these up for cheap at a second-hand place, just haven't got round to watching them all yet. I do want to get into Westerns a bit more, though.

Mulholland Drive: Got this for free with a paper a couple of months back, still haven't watched it. I've recently been watching and enjoying Twin Peaks, so I'm sure I'll enjoy this, too.

Sunset Boulevard: I love stories about the seedy side of Hollywood, and I keep hearing this is up there with the best.

Gone With The Wind: More pop culture osmosis, I suppose. Plus this is the 3-disk edition, and the extras look terrific. Why haven't I watched this DVD??

I have now seen: The Hustler (5/5), Unforgiven (4/5)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rangi
May 25, 2006

Girl , you thought he was man , but he was a MUFFIN

ProfessorClumsy posted:

Rangi, I'm guessing you either forgot that you already got started in this thread or you really really didn't want to watch Annie Hall.

I did end up watching Annie Hall , then a bunch more Allen films. Forgot about the thread unfortunately though :doh:

After I've watched Evil Dead I'll update the list properly with the films I had listed last time.

Schmuck of Ages
Dec 18, 2009
Adrianics, take a turn into Sunset Boulevard.

I wish I liked McCabe & Mrs. Miller more than I did - it's an undeniably interesting and unromanticised Western, with perhaps a decidedly more feminine touch than most. I liked the cast, the music and the cinematography, and it gave off a very definite mood, but for some reason I was a bit bored. I don't think I really ever cared about the plot much, to be honest. Oh well.

01. Judgment at Nuremberg - Autistic need to eventually finish IMDB Top 250 + it sounds pretty good.
02. Pandora's Box - Owned it for yonks, never watched it, I am a terrible person.
03. Red Psalm - A while ago I became hugely interested in Jancso and grabbed about five of his films but I've only watched one of them since. I am a fool.
04. I Know Where I'm Going! - Powell & Pressburger rule. (mostly)
05. Damnation - Swappin' Almanac out for another Tarr.
06. La Chienne - There's a load of Renoirs that I haven't seen, embarrassingly enough. No real excuse either.
07. Orpheus - Slightly wary because Cocteau seems a bit of a git, but I did really like La Belle et la Bete so who knows?
08. Gandhi - Owned it for a while, never really felt a huge compulsion to watch it... but I'm sure it's at least good.
09. Foolish Wives - Never seen a Stroheim. This is very shameful now that I think about it.
10. Day for Night - There's a load of Truffauts I haven't seen that I feel guilty about, but this is the biggest one.

Seen: Almanac of Fall, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, Z, The Wild Bunch, Scarface, Harvey, Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid, McCabe & Mrs. Miller

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Schmuck of Ages some good choices on your list but I'll pick Foolish Wives because I like Stroheim and no one else will pick it for you.

As mentioned before, A Nightmare on Elm Street is not my type of film and the overblown music cues and all over the place acting didn't help (seriously, the woman who played the mother is absolutely atrocious). Despite that, I can't deny that I actually liked a lot of what it did, or at least tried to do. It was scary without being gruesome or relying too much on cheap tricks, and it was creative. If this same script had been given better production values I might actually consider it a good film rather than just a good but flawed experiment. Anyway, I wouldn't watch it again but I'm glad I watched it once.

Updated list:

Tales of Hoffman After my second viewing of The Red Shoes I was really excited to watch this but I quit after 5 minutes when I realized I just wasn't ready for cinematic opera, no matter how well shot. I think maybe now, a couple of years later, I might be willing to give this another shot.

Sans toit ni loi I bought the Criterion Varda boxset the week it came out, all excited after loving Cleo from 5 to 7 and then proceeded to not watch any of it.

Vidas Secas Another highly regarded film I keep putting off because I fear it's really depressing.

Ryan's Daughter I love Lean, but this film's reputation , combined with its length aren't particularly enticing. On the other hand I liked Heaven's gate so who knows.

Underworld (1927) This is considered a pretty seminal crime film and von Sternberg's direction is always enjoyable.

Ballad of Narayama Imamura, another director I've seen shamefully little from.

Flesh and the Devil I need some more Garbo in my life.

The Blue Kite Only just noticed this looking through IcheckMovies films I haven't seen. I know nothing about it.

Baby Face I was really eager to see this a few years ago when the uncensored print was discovered, but I never got around to it.

The Ten Commandments Yeah, there's no way I'm watching a 4 hour biblical epic of my own accord, but it's the biggest pre-80s film I haven't seen so I kind of feel I should get around to it eventually.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
Peaceful Anarchy - you get Sans toit ni loi which I happened to watch earlier today.

Glengarry Glen Ross was good. Rather scathing indictment of capitalism, draped in masculine posturing and profanity. Of course, those are quite appropriate things to associate with capitalism. Dialogue of course had a very Mamet feel to it. It was kind of weird how there were no women in the movie, like at all.

Updated list:
Scarlet Street - NOIRVEMBER

Band of Outsiders - Some more Godard here. This is one that's interested me for a while.

Bad Education - I like the Almodovars I've seen and I've been meaning to see this one for a while, but I just never got around to it.

I vitelloni - Probably the biggest Fellini that I haven't seen, so I might as well throw this in here.

Intolerance - Have to see if Griffith managed to redeem himself at all.

Stagecoach - I'm a bit lacking when it comes to westerns, or John Ford for that matter.

Destiny - old Lang silent I've been meaning to see for a few years. It's on Netflix Instant, though, so I can finally get around to it.

Faust - Murnau's silent. I've seen a few other Murnaus and this one has appealed to me for a while, but the length has kept me away from it.

Lilja 4-ever - as far as I understand this is supposed to be kind of depressing. I've seen a couple of Moodysson's other movies and liked (or loved) them.

The Brood - I love Cronenberg but this one has eluded me so far.

Seen - Breathless, Pink Flamingos, Do the Right Thing, Welcome to the Dollhouse, Downfall, Fitzcarraldo, Z, Spartacus, The Elephant Man, Scenes from a Marriage, Audition, Three Colors Trilogy, Stalker, Ali: Fear Eats the Soul, El Topo, Belle de jour, The Piano Teacher, Apocalypse Now, Berlin Alexanderplatz, Babel, Shoot the Piano Player, La dolce vita, The Birth of a Nation, Man with a Movie Camera, L'age d'or, The Rules of the Game, Stroszek, Rosemary's Baby, Through a Glass Darkly, Bride of Frankenstein, The Thin Blue Line, Even Dwarfs Started Small, The Godfather, The Idiots, The Godfather Part II, Vivre sa vie, Stray Dog, The Haunting, Glengarry Glen Ross

pill for your ills
Mar 23, 2006

ghost rock.

dotCommunism posted:

Destiny - old Lang silent I've been meaning to see for a few years. It's on Netflix Instant, though, so I can finally get around to it.

Chosen for you because, after the restored Metropolis, Lang needs to be celebrated.

My list:

Time Bandits
Baron Munchausen
Jabberwocky

I've been working on my Gilliam list slowly. I own Fear and Loathing and have seen 12 Monkeys, Brazil, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, and all the Python stuff. But these three I have overlooked. Somebody should remove this choice from me.

Seven Samurai
Ran
Yojimbo

I haven't seen any Kurosawa, actually. Don't know why, just never came up. Oh, also, speaking of...

Akira

Was going to watch it after the original Ghost in the Shell but I got sidetracked.

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009

pill for your ills posted:

Time Bandits

Gilliam is my favorite director, and this is an oft overlooked gem of a film. You are in for a treat, good sir.

Glengarry Glen Ross was amazing but depressing as hell. I felt so ridiculously bad for Shelly. But the acting was top notch all around. I didn't even know Jonathan Pryce was in it before the opening credits and he's one of my favorite actors. All around very, very good film. Lots of cursing. Always a plus.

1. The King of Comedy - I love Scorsese, but this gem has always eluded me.

2. City of God - I don't actually know all that much about it, other than apparently: GRITTY.

3. Grave of the Fireflies - I love Studio Ghibli, but I've heard that SAD!

4. The Kid - Not the Disney one, the Charlie Chaplin one. I love the man, but I haven't really seen a lot of his works.

5. Umberto D. - The only De Sica film I've seen is Bicycle Thieves and I love it. In fact, I really haven't seen all that many Italian Neorealist films at all.

6. Run Lola Run - I know nothing about this film. My guess is it has something to do with a girl named Lola running.

7. Stalker - I actually haven't seen any Tarkovsky.

8. Boys Don't Cry - RAAAAAAAAPE!! Though I do quite like Hilary Swank.

9. Lawrence of Arabia - I love Peter O'Toole, but I've always kind of been waiting until a 70mm screening shows up in LA. I'm getting impatient though. Do realize if you choose this, it'll have to wait until a good friend who I promised I'd watch it with is able to (it's her favorite movie).

10. Peeping Tom - Apparently very controversial and I like Michael Powell, but I've only seen The Red Shoes and Black Narcissus, which were both co-directed with Emeric Pressburger.

Watched: Irreversible (8/10), Glengarry Glen Ross (9/10)

Schmuck of Ages
Dec 18, 2009
I feel like I should give way and let Peaceful Anarchy choose it for you... but what the hey! azechiel, give the very-long and very-excellent Lawrence of Arabia a whirl.

I've gotta admit that, before I sat down to watch it, I was dreading Foolish Wives a bit. Frankly I'm always wary of longer films (although I was wrong in this case, it was only 2hrs 30) and maybe it wouldn't live up to Stroheim's reputation? Luckily - no, it was really good. The worst possible thing I can say about it is that occasionally scenes drag on for longer than you'd think possible, but on the other hand these tend to be scenes of Karamzin either seducing or manipulating women to get his way. It actually felt more natural that way (and probably wrung more laughs out of it too). Karamzin's a great character, by the way; a complete bastard no matter which way you look at it, though his fate is a touch harsh.

I'm very interested to find out how the hell the original cut was 6+ hours, mind you. Maybe the seduction scene was originally 5 hours of sly looks and failed attempts to get her attention?

01. Judgment at Nuremberg - Autistic need to eventually finish IMDB Top 250 + it sounds pretty good.
02. Pandora's Box - Owned it for yonks, never watched it, I am a terrible person.
03. Red Psalm - A while ago I became hugely interested in Jancso and grabbed about five of his films but I've only watched one of them since. I am a fool.
04. I Know Where I'm Going! - Powell & Pressburger rule. (mostly)
05. Damnation - Swappin' Almanac out for another Tarr.
06. La Chienne - There's a load of Renoirs that I haven't seen, embarrassingly enough. No real excuse either.
07. Orpheus - Slightly wary because Cocteau seems a bit of a git, but I did really like La Belle et la Bete so who knows?
08. Gandhi - Owned it for a while, never really felt a huge compulsion to watch it... but I'm sure it's at least good.
09. The Phantom Carriage - Hello, Mr. Another-Silent-I-Shamefully-Haven't-Seen.
10. Day for Night - There's a load of Truffauts I haven't seen that I feel guilty about, but this is the biggest one.

Seen: Almanac of Fall, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, Z, The Wild Bunch, Scarface, Harvey, Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Foolish Wives

Schmuck of Ages fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Dec 17, 2010

rangi
May 25, 2006

Adrianics posted:

Rangi, I'll go ahead and give you The Evil Dead.

Wow. I was seriously unprepared for how good this movie was. Even with the odd bit of horror movie logic and cheap effects (the moon looking especially fake) I enjoyed this more than any other horror movie I've ever seen.
The sound and camera angles were especially good. I found myself smiling at how good it was rather than actually being scared most of the way through. The ending shot was fantastic too.

Schmuck of Ages , watch Judgement at Nuremburg.

I intentionally don't know much about any of these movies, with the exception of predator and blade runner. Makes for a better first viewing I reckon.

1) Lawrence of Arabia
2) Blade Runner - read and enjoyed the book
3) All Quiet on the Western Front
4) Thin Red Line
5) 8 1/2
6) Predator
7) Barry Lyndon
8) Hannah and her Sisters
9) Eraserhead
10) Heat

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

rangi, go with "Heat", it's pretty awesome

Finally got to see Schindler's List after over a month. I thought it was really good, but what surprised me was the amount of humor in the beginning.

My updated list:

1. Any Fellini movie:
I started watching 8 1/2 once, but then got distracted and didn't get back to it. I haven't seen anything else he's made.

2. Anything Bergman NOT "Scenes from a Marriage", "Fanny and Alexander", "Seventh Seal" "Sawdust and Tinsel" or "Wild Strawberries

3. The Great Escape:
Just never saw it, and know nothing about it.

4. The Great Dictator:
Now that I've seen some Chaplin, this is one that always interested me.

5. To Kill a Mockingbird:
Honestly I don't know much about it other then that it's a movie that exists and is supposed to be good

6. The Elephant Man:
It's Karl Pilkington's favorite movie, which is enough reason for me to check it out sometime

7. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington:
I love Jimmy Stewart, so am sure I'll like it. Just haven't seen it.

Already watched: Jaws, Scenes From a Marriage, The Searchers, Fanny and Alexander, Sawdust and Tinsel, Stagecoach, Silence of the Lambs, Modern Times, Do the Right Thing, Schindler's List

zandert33 fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 18, 2010

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Zandert33 gets Mr Smith Goes To Washington, which everyone should see if they haven't already.

Sunset Boulevard was just drat terrific. The noir influences were used perfectly, the dialogue was poo poo-hot and I just loved how pessimistic and angry it was about the Hollywood system - For some reason, it's almost heartening to know that even in the 50's Hollywood was an awful cesspool of corruption. Plus, the ending is just the best ending. 5/5

NEW LIST:

The Apartment: Had this forever, never got round to watching it. I'm a big fan of comedies with heart, and I'm told The Apartment is a big influence on the styles of comedy I enjoy.

Citizen Kane: I've held back on watching this simply because I almost feel like I don't know enough about its significance to truly enjoy it. Seinfeld Isn't Funny syndrome, if you will. But hey, now I have the time to actually research it first!

The Godfather Trilogy: Pretty much the pop culture osmosis mentioned in the OP, really.

Infernal Affairs Trilogy: I fuckin' love The Departed, and keep meaning to get into foreign films. This seems like as good a place as any to start.

8 1/2: I'm scared to loving death that I just won't 'get' this movie, pretty piss-poor excuse not to watch something I know, plus as I said above I'm trying to broaden my horizons, as it were.

The Man With No Name trilogy: Picked these up for cheap at a second-hand place, just haven't got round to watching them all yet. I do want to get into Westerns a bit more, though.

Mulholland Drive: Got this for free with a paper a couple of months back, still haven't watched it. I've recently been watching and enjoying Twin Peaks, so I'm sure I'll enjoy this, too.

Cool Hand Luke: Having now watched The Hustler and the disappointing The Color Of Money, I think the time is at hand to get more familiar with Paul Newman's work, which I hadn't really dabbled in before this thread.

Gone With The Wind: More pop culture osmosis, I suppose. Plus this is the 3-disk edition, and the extras look terrific. Why haven't I watched this DVD??

I have now seen: The Hustler (5/5), Unforgiven (4/5), Sunset Boulevard (5/5)

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Adrianics you have a good list of movies. Go with another Wilder, The Apartment.

Downfall was intense. Bruno Ganz was completely convincing. It began to drag by then end with multiple scenes of people shooting themselves/taking poison. 4/5

I also watched Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid. I totally forgot that I had owned the soundtrack for years (before I even knew it was a movie, I just love Dylan), so it was interesting to hear all of the songs in context. I liked the mood of the film, the inevitability of death and violence seemed to influence every action. 4/5

1. The Death of Mr. Lazarescu:
I saw bits of this a few years ago, and have been wanting to see the whole thing for a while.

2. Grizzly Man
Another doc that's supposed to be good, but the guy just seems really annoying. It's Herzog so I'm sure I'll like it.

3. The Red Shoes
Continuing my P&P marathon, and I've heard nothing but good things about this one.

4. Inland Empire
So how does this compare to Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive?

5. Z
I watched M for this thread. This seems like the obvious next step.

6. Das Boot:
Don't know too much about it, other than that there are multiple versions/cuts. Which version is best to watch?

7. Wings of Desire
Wim Wenders has a cool name, and all I've seen is Paris, Texas.

8. A Shot in the Dark:
I didn't like The Pink Panther, but I've heard that this is much, much better.

9. La Dolce Vita
I like 8 1/2, but I'm not sure if this would be worth the running time.

10. Europa:
I've seen almost all of Lars von Trier's work besides The Idiots (unfortunately not available on Netflix) and this.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Thank you for recommending The Apartment, TenSpadesBeTrump. In return, watch Grizzly Man, possibly my favourite documentary ever.

The Apartment rocked. I was amazed at how... For lack of a better word, filthy it was. It was crammed full of innuendos that ran the full gambit from subtle to blatant (but all hilarious), and made absolutely no bones about its tawdry subject matter. Plus, it managed to be hilarious, heartfelt and dark whenever it needed to be. Although I've come to expect no less from a Wilder film. 5/5

NEW LIST:

Memento: Why haven't I watched this? I love :nolan: as much as everyone else my age, why haven't I watched this??

Cool Hand Luke: Having now watched The Hustler and the disappointing The Color Of Money, I think the time is at hand to get more familiar with Paul Newman's work, which I hadn't really dabbled in before this thread.

I have now seen: The Hustler (5/5), Unforgiven (4/5), Sunset Boulevard (5/5), The Apartment (5/5)

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Adrianics watch 8 1/2, you may not get everything but it's not that dense. It's certainly enjoyable on whatever level you're willing to approach it.

Sans toit ni loi started off very good and got better and better. For a while the choppiness and the the setting(rural 80s France) felt like they were holding the film back but by the end even those complaints had washed away. The secondary characters were all interesting in their own ways and as the complexity of Mona's personality started to come through everything got more and more heartbreaking. It's not a depressing film so much as it is a sad and harsh reflection of the margins of society. I'm really glad I finally watched this and wish it hadn't taken so long. The 80s music that invades the film every time a radio is turned is really terrible though, that's the one thing I couldn't get over.

Updated list:

Tales of Hoffman After my second viewing of The Red Shoes I was really excited to watch this but I quit after 5 minutes when I realized I just wasn't ready for cinematic opera, no matter how well shot. I think maybe now, a couple of years later, I might be willing to give this another shot.

Vidas Secas Another highly regarded film I keep putting off because I fear it's really depressing.

Ryan's Daughter I love Lean, but this film's reputation , combined with its length aren't particularly enticing. On the other hand I liked Heaven's gate so who knows.

Underworld (1927) This is considered a pretty seminal crime film and von Sternberg's direction is always enjoyable.

The Blue Kite Only just noticed this looking through IcheckMovies films I haven't seen. I know nothing about it.

Baby Face I was really eager to see this a few years ago when the uncensored print was discovered, but I never got around to it.

The Ten Commandments Yeah, there's no way I'm watching a 4 hour biblical epic of my own accord, but it's the biggest pre-80s film I haven't seen so I kind of feel I should get around to it eventually.

Showgirls Titties. I don't really tend to watch films that I know are trainwrecks but they can sometimes be fun.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Peaceful Anarchy, you get Tales of Hoffman.

I just finished Casino and I really liked it. It seemed to me like kind of a pastiche of Raging Bull and Goodfellas. In some ways Scorsese was doing what Kevin Smith and Tim Burton have been doing, which is making films entirely within their comfort zone to appeal to their built-in audience. This was a lot like those movies, except with more and slightly louder music and more garish costume designs (it was a drat shame to see all those people smoking in those nice clothes). But even when he stays in his comfort zone, Scorsese is still an excellent director with a great eye for cinematography and shot composition (and he went on to make several films that broke out of his comfort zone completely), so it's okay.

I also watched Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast. The costume designs were excellent, especially the Beast's. I ended up being lukewarm towards it, though, because I thought it was boring.

The Hunt For Red October; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; Rashomon; Clash of the Titans; Tron; Enter the Dragon; The Karate Kid; Raging Bull; Cool Hand Luke; High and Low; Amores perros; City of God; Grand Slam; Robocop; The Maltese Falcon; Casablanca; Laura; Full Metal Jacket; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Blue Velvet; Apocalypse Now; Tombstone; Natural Born Killers; Alien; Barton Fink; F for Fake; Boogie Nights; The Evil Dead; Annie Hall; Paris, Texas; Léon/The Professional; Amarcord; ; The 400 Blows; Do the Right Thing; Beauty and the Beast; Casino

American Graffiti: I always wanted to see George Lucas' work before his Star Wars success made him all fat and happy. Plus, there's something about Mort Drucker's poster that makes me 2-3 times as interested in it.
Au Revoir Les Enfants: I've heard a lot of good things about this movie, but I don't know much about it except the basic plot.
Carlito's Way: I've seen as many mob movies as any self-respecting 20-something American male, but not only have I not seen this one, but somehow I managed not to know anything about this movie except that it stars Pacino.
Death to Smoochy: A little more recent than I usually try to post, but I've repeatedly heard this film touted as the ultimate black comedy. I don't get it, but I haven't seen it either.
Kagemusha: Kurosawa wins my heart more with every film. I've seen 8, which for his filmography is just getting started.
The Natural: I always hear the greatest things about Redford, but I haven't seen much stuff with him in it. Levinson's hit-or-miss with me.
Rain Man: I've watched many, many, many 80s movies, but this is apparently one of the classics of the era that I missed.
Serpico: Another Pacino movie I feel like I should have seen by now.
Tremors: I've heard this is the one of the best comedy-horror films ever made. I know less about it than the Sliders episode that plagiarized it.
Where Eagles Dare: The thing that stuck with me about Inglourious Basterds is that I felt like Tarantino was assuming the viewer knows a lot about war movies that I didn't. So I went on a World War II binge, but I didn't get to this movie.

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

CloseFriend, go for American Graffiti.

It was interesting watching Almost Famous right after Boogie Nights because I feel like the two have quite a bit in common, not the least of which being the terrific ensemble casts. Amazing story, amazing script, Billy Crudup and Kate Hudson were amazing... just a great movie, and right up my alley. The last half-hour or so was spectacular and really took the whole thing to another level--from good to great. The kid's acting was a little uneven, but I can't really expect much more and he definitely did a terrific job for a child actor. Also pretty plain direction, though maybe that's just my take, and even then it's hardly anything bad. Little to complain about, I guess. 4.5/5

1. Requiem for a Dream - I need to see more of the recent "classics"

2. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Should really get to this eventually

3. Spartacus - One of the last Kubrick films I haven't seen

4. Hiroshima Mon Amour - Apparently next to Breathless and The 400 Blows in starting the New Wave, and I've seen the other two and enjoyed them

5. Masculin, féminin - Love Godard, this is a random one I haven't seen

6. sex, lies, and videotape - Probably an important film to watch

7. Brazil - The only Terry Gilliam I've seen is Fear and Loathing and 12 Monkeys; I usually love surrealist films, and that's partially what this is... right? gently caress, I don't know

8. Notorious - I'm definitely a Hitchcock fan/I'm definitely a Cary Grant fan

9. City of God - I know absolutely nothing about it, but apparently it's one of the best films of the 00s or something I don't know

10. Easy Rider - Really should have seen this by now

Watched: Dawn of the Dead - 3.5/5; Adaptation - 4/5; Sullivan's Travels - 3.5/5; Touch of Evil - 5/5; Once Upon a Time in the West - 4/5; Boogie Nights - 3.5/5; Almost Famous - 4.5/5

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

PDMChubby, Hiroshima Mon Amour it is.

The visuals in Tales of Hoffman are absolutely astounding, the colour, the camera movement, the set design, the costumes, everything is just glorious to look at. It was enough to get me to sit through and enjoy the whole film. Opera's just not my thing though and, while I can appreciate the dancing for its visual grace, the singing does nothing for me. By the end I was barely listening to the words, just appreciating the music and the visuals. Not getting into the content didn't impede my general appreciation for the film but it did feel like a constant roadblock in getting me to love it. I watched the Romero interview on the DVD after the film and hearing him gush about it for twenty minutes makes me wish I could appreciate it that way.

Updated list:

Showgirls Titties. I don't really tend to watch films that I know are trainwrecks but they can sometimes be fun.

Tampopo I don't actually know anything about this.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Peaceful Anarchy, I'm really tempted to give you Showgirls. However, since it's Christmas I'm going to instead give you The Ten Commandments.

So Seven Samurai was amazing. The runtime may have been too long but there's never a dull moment. I still feel that through everything the scene of the peasant picking the rice off the floor was the most powerful scene in the whole movie. 10/10

#5 There Will Be Blood - My friend loves this movie and is constantly telling me to watch it.

#7 Goldfinger - I've never seen a Connery Bond movie and for this I feel terrible. In fact, any of them will do but this is the one I hear the most about.

#9 High Fidelity - This is the movie everybody tells me I'll love and are kind of shocked I haven't seen it.

#15 The Godfather - It's on Netflix instant now, I really have no excuse for this one.

#16 Bonnie & Clyde - I bought this one awhile back and just haven't watched it.

#20 Terminator 2: Judgment Day - My nerd cred is suffering.

#21 The Seventh Seal - Been meaning to start with Bergman for awhile. Also, I want to know how that chess game ends.

#23 Mulholland Dr. - Let's give Lynch another go.

#24 Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - I haven't watched a western in a while and this has been on my to do list for a long time.

#25 The Magnificent Seven - Might as well watch the Americanized version now. Plus I love Eli Wallach, Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, #22 Casablanca, #18 M, #17 Seven Samurai

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Vivre Sa Vie was visually gorgeous - as usual for Godard. The shot sweeping between them in the cafe was one of my favorites. The format is really engrossing and surprisingly theatrical for the era. The story grabbed me immediately, and in the end I liked it a lot more than I expected. Good job, Jean-Luc.

TrixRabbi, Terminator 2. Have a ball.

New List:

Battleground This is apparently peerleesly realistic for the era.

Two-Lane Blacktop This is supposed to be like a drive-in classic, right? I like those.

Portrait of Jennie Love that Joe Cotton

The Docks of New York More like the cocks of New York, right guys?

People on Sunday An impressive pedigree of talent behind it, but I've heard nothing about the film itself.

Yesterday Girl Kluge is my biggest gap in the German New Wave.

The American Friend I've never gone deep enough into the Wenders catalog.

Les rendez-vous d'Anna The only one in the Chantal Akerman Eclipse set I haven't gotten around to yet.

Little Fugitive I've seen bits of it, but never got around to the whole thing. It's charming and kinda sorta invented American independent cinema, so I guess I should get up on it.

The Endless Summer This oughta keep me warm this winter.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10)

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
penismightier - you get, um, The American Friend I guess. I have at least a passing familiarity with Wenders.

Destiny was quite interesting, especially in just how varied it was. A frame story involves a woman challenging Death for the life of her fiance. Death, who frankly doesn't enjoy what he has to do, gives her three chances to regain her fiance by taking part in fantastical stories in different settings: Persia, Venice and China. However, in each of these "challenges" the woman fails to reclaim her love. Death then gives her one more chance: she must find another life for death to take. After failing to find someone to forfeit their life for her, the movie reaches its climax as she is forced to choose between taking the life of an innocent, essentially taking Death's role for herself, or losing her love. It's a movie that is far ahead of its time in terms of its effects and in terms of the movie's depth and morality.

Updated list:
Scarlet Street - NOIRVEMBER

Band of Outsiders - Some more Godard here. This is one that's interested me for a while.

Bad Education - I like the Almodovars I've seen and I've been meaning to see this one for a while, but I just never got around to it.

I vitelloni - Probably the biggest Fellini that I haven't seen, so I might as well throw this in here.

Intolerance - Have to see if Griffith managed to redeem himself at all.

Stagecoach - I'm a bit lacking when it comes to westerns, or John Ford for that matter.

Andrei Rublev - Getting some more Tarkovsky in here.

Faust - Murnau's silent. I've seen a few other Murnaus and this one has appealed to me for a while, but the length has kept me away from it.

Lilja 4-ever - as far as I understand this is supposed to be kind of depressing. I've seen a couple of Moodysson's other movies and liked (or loved) them.

The Brood - I love Cronenberg but this one has eluded me so far.

Seen - Breathless, Pink Flamingos, Do the Right Thing, Welcome to the Dollhouse, Downfall, Fitzcarraldo, Z, Spartacus, The Elephant Man, Scenes from a Marriage, Audition, Three Colors Trilogy, Stalker, Ali: Fear Eats the Soul, El Topo, Belle de jour, The Piano Teacher, Apocalypse Now, Berlin Alexanderplatz, Babel, Shoot the Piano Player, La dolce vita, The Birth of a Nation, Man with a Movie Camera, L'age d'or, The Rules of the Game, Stroszek, Rosemary's Baby, Through a Glass Darkly, Bride of Frankenstein, The Thin Blue Line, Even Dwarfs Started Small, The Godfather, The Idiots, The Godfather Part II, Vivre sa vie, Stray Dog, The Haunting, Glengarry Glen Ross, Destiny

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Beat you to the draw there, dotCommunism.

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet

penismightier posted:

Beat you to the draw there, dotCommunism.

:argh: Yeah, I editted for you, you Bastard.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

dotCommunism, noirvember is over but you should still see Scarlet Street.

The Ten Commandments :rolleyes: To be fair there was no way I was going to love this, in all its preachy longwinded glory. It's an interesting story and the production values, a few outdated effects aside, are pretty impressive. Not as much as Tales of Hoffman, but still, the colours pop and it's clear no expense was spared to make this an opulent epic. While a lengthy runtime is appropriate for something of this scale, 4 hours is really pushing it. By the end I just wanted it to be over. It was better than I expected, watchable and occasionally entertaining, but clearly designed to appeal to those who have a deeper connection to the subject matter.

Updated list:

Tampopo I don't actually know anything about this.

Brighton Rock Supposedly a great gangster film.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

penismightier posted:

People on Sunday An impressive pedigree of talent behind it, but I've heard nothing about the film itself.

I reviewed it in the "Rate the Latest" thread a few months ago.

Also, I know I'm not participating (I plan to jump back in the game soon) but as an avid reader of this thread, I really appreciate it when people make it clear which film is the new addition to their list of shame.

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?
Underworld for you, Peaceful Anarchy.

Just finished watching Greed. What a remarkable film. It was incredibly filmed, and I love the early experimentation with color, adding just a bit of gold to certain scenes. The full version of this movie would have been absolutely breathtaking, the scope of it kind of boggles the mind. It's amazing to me that this was made 86 years ago (and still, studio involvement ruined the director's vision. :rolleyes:)

New list:

Sunrise Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

La Dolce Vita Fellini is becoming one of my favorite directors.

The Gold Rush Continuing my Chaplin journey.

L'Avventura I've never seen any Antonioni, but I'm finding I really like Italian film from this period.

Contempt Never had any interest in Godard until recently.

Intolerance I guess I just haven't gotten around to it yet?

Au Hasard Balthazar A movie about a donkey? I'm hesitant to say the least.

Pather Panchali I've always had a thing for Indian literature, so I supposed I should give cinema a try.

The Leopard I know absolutely nothing about this movie. That being said, should I watch the English version or Italian Version?

The Mirror I really liked the last Tarkovsky I saw, looking forward to getting further into his movies.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal, The Rules of the Game, Andrei Rublev, The Conformist, Ugetsu, The Wild Bunch, Jules et Jim, Modern Times, L'Atalante, La Strada, Persona, Rio Bravo, Wild Strawberries, Ordet, The Apartment, North by Northwest, Greed

P.S. FFD, the new one in my list is always the last one.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

tokillthesunflower posted:

Just finished watching Greed. What a remarkable film. It was incredibly filmed, and I love the early experimentation with color, adding just a bit of gold to certain scenes. The full version of this movie would have been absolutely breathtaking, the scope of it kind of boggles the mind. It's amazing to me that this was made 86 years ago (and still, studio involvement ruined the director's vision. :rolleyes:)

Which cut of Greed did you watch?

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Which cut of Greed did you watch?

It was four hours, the version with still-frames and extra titles added in, to try and reconstruct what von Stroheim was aiming for. I rented it from iTunes, it was the only place I could find it. Even my library didn't have it. :(

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

tokillthesunflower, you get the only film on that list I've seen: La Dolce Vita. I liked it better than Amarcord, but not as much as 8½.

I just watched American Graffiti and I absolutely loved it. The movie is just so idyllic and engrossing that I can't help but be absorbed in it. It's definitely one of those movies (like The Station Agent or So I Married An Axe Murderer) that I can go back to if I feel like unwinding after a long day. It had its flaws—I thought the epilogue was unnecessary and the resolution of Curt's arc could've been stronger—but it's too much fun not to love. The only real downside is it makes me kick myself; I didn't have anywhere near that good a time when I was that age. :(
George Lucas really was a talented director in those days. Comparing this to the Star Wars prequels, Lucas is living proof that artists can do their best work under pressure.
I bought the movie as well as More American Graffiti (it was a 2-pack); I'm reluctant to watch the sequel, but I own it, so I may as well.

The Hunt For Red October; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; Rashomon; Clash of the Titans; Tron; Enter the Dragon; The Karate Kid; Raging Bull; Cool Hand Luke; High and Low; Amores perros; City of God; Grand Slam; Robocop; The Maltese Falcon; Casablanca; Laura; Full Metal Jacket; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Blue Velvet; Apocalypse Now; Tombstone; Natural Born Killers; Alien; Barton Fink; F for Fake; Boogie Nights; The Evil Dead; Annie Hall; Paris, Texas; Léon/The Professional; Amarcord; ; The 400 Blows; Do the Right Thing; Beauty and the Beast; Casino; American Graffiti

Au Revoir Les Enfants: I've heard a lot of good things about this movie, but I don't know much about it except the basic plot.
Bram Stoker's Dracula: I heard a ton of hype about this movie and the way it handles the Dracula mythos. I am a fan of Castlevania, so...
Carlito's Way: I've seen as many mob movies as any self-respecting 20-something American male, but not only have I not seen this one, but somehow I managed not to know anything about this movie except that it stars Pacino.
Death to Smoochy: A little more recent than I usually try to post, but I've repeatedly heard this film touted as the ultimate black comedy. I don't get it, but I haven't seen it either.
Kagemusha: Kurosawa wins my heart more with every film. I've seen 8, which for his filmography is just getting started.
The Natural: I always hear the greatest things about Redford, but I haven't seen much stuff with him in it. Levinson's hit-or-miss with me.
Rain Man: I've watched many, many, many 80s movies, but this is apparently one of the classics of the era that I missed.
Tremors: I've heard this is the one of the best comedy-horror films ever made. I know less about it than the Sliders episode that plagiarized it.
Where Eagles Dare: The thing that stuck with me about Inglourious Basterds is that I felt like Tarantino was assuming the viewer knows a lot about war movies that I didn't. So I went on a World War II binge, but I didn't get to this movie.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

CloseFriend gets Death To Smoochy, a film I've always found to be extremely underrated. I also actually really like Danny DeVito's directing style and would love for him to make more movies.

8 1/2 was... Well, at the risk of incurring the CD wrath I found it kind of hard to take on board everything that was going on, think it's one of those films that demands repeat viewing and analysis. At face value I enjoyed the story a lot, and the concept of "I'm suffering from director's block, so I'm going to make a film about director's block" reminded me of a much more contemporary film, Adaptation. It's also impeccably shot and directed with an amazing soundtrack, but you guys already knew that. 4/5

NEW LIST:

Memento: Why haven't I watched this? I love :nolan: as much as everyone else my age, why haven't I watched this??

Raging Bull: Love Scorsese as much as the next guy, have had this DVD for ages, have somehow never watched it. Sorry.

I have now seen: The Hustler (5/5), Unforgiven (4/5), Sunset Boulevard (5/5), The Apartment (5/5), 8 1/2 (4/5)

rangi
May 25, 2006

Adrianics , watch The Good , the Bad and the Ugly .

Heat was awesome.

List:
1) Rainman
2) Blade Runner
3) Mulholland Drive
4) Thin Red Line
5) The Piano
6) Predator
7) Barry Lyndon
8) Hannah and her Sisters
9) Eraserhead
10) The Wild Bunch

Seen: Annie Hall (9/10) , Evil Dead (9/10) , Heat (8/10)

rangi fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 23, 2010

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
rangi, you get The Thin Red Line, one of my favorite movies

Serpico was good, but didn't quite grab me in the way I had hoped. Pacino was excellent as I expected, and the story was pretty tight, but I couldn't quite get drawn in all the way. Don't know if it was me or the movie. Maybe I'll revisit it at a later date and see if it gets me.

1) Dracula (Legosi)- haven't seen many of the universal Monsters and I should start
2) Chinatown- finishing up my important films of the 70s list
3) 8 1/2- gotta start somewhere with Fellini
4) Fitzcarraldo- starting in on Herzog
5) The Getaway- i'm finishing up my Steve McQueen list
6) The Insider- the last Michael Mann film I've yet to see
7) 2046- loved In the Mood For Love, never got to this, it's sister film
8) Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid- the last major Newman film I have to see
9) The General- my silent film experience is lacking, so let's start here
10) She Wore A Yellow Ribbon- working my way up to The Searchers

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Well, I need to take a break from this thread (this is your chance to catch up people who haven't seen over 100 films from this thread!) but I just watched Underworld and it was pretty great. Fast paced for a silent film and really enjoyable, well put together with some solid action scenes and strong performances. Certain elements are a little thin and that ending is a little silly but I enjoyed it a lot.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I'll give Mistletoe Donkey 8 1/2, because as a fellow Fellini newbie I want to know what you thought.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is another film from this thread that upon watching I immediately regretted not watching it earlier. It's a moot point by now but loving seriously, that soundtrack! Already gone right up there in my favourite soundtracks of all time, it's impossible to listen to it and not feel a flood of emotions. I also loved the set design, and the characters are so well-written and performed. Stupendous stuff. 5/5

NEW LIST:

Raging Bull: Love Scorsese as much as the next guy, have had this DVD for ages, have somehow never watched it. Sorry.

A Fistful Of Dollars: Now that I've started on the Man With No Name trilogy, it makes sense to keep going!

I have now seen: The Hustler (5/5), Unforgiven (4/5), Sunset Boulevard (5/5), The Apartment (5/5), 8 1/2 (4/5), The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (5/5)

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Adrianics posted:

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is another film from this thread that upon watching I immediately regretted not watching it earlier. It's a moot point by now but loving seriously, that soundtrack! Already gone right up there in my favourite soundtracks of all time, it's impossible to listen to it and not feel a flood of emotions. I also loved the set design, and the characters are so well-written and performed. Stupendous stuff. 5/5

Did you watch the Italian or American cut? If it had a scene with Tuco and a chicken, it's Italian.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Pretty sure the Italian cut, it's the restored and extended special edition they released in the UK a few years back.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

It's so weird to me that the version of that movie I grew up with flat out doesn't exist anymore.

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

Adrianics, do Mulholland Drive. I love it so.

Hiroshima Mon Amour was a brilliant film. It really spoke in a lot of ways without saying too much, just by following two people in a short-lived affair. I loved how the entire thing contrasts (or at least presents) love next to death. It did loose me a bit in the middle, but the more I think about it now that I'm done the more I really enjoy it. It's incredibly beautiful both in the way it was filmed and the story/characters/themes themselves. Just gorgeous. 4/5.

1. Requiem for a Dream - I need to see more of the recent "classics"

2. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Should really get to this eventually

3. Spartacus - One of the last Kubrick films I haven't seen

4. Last Year at Marienbad - *NEW* Might as well get another Resnais out there; this one I've wanted to see for a while, seems like something I'd love and I was upset when I missed it on Netflix Instant

5. Masculin, féminin - Love Godard, this is a random one I haven't seen

6. sex, lies, and videotape - Probably an important film to watch

7. Brazil - The only Terry Gilliam I've seen is Fear and Loathing and 12 Monkeys; I usually love surrealist films, and that's partially what this is... right? gently caress, I don't know

8. Notorious - I'm definitely a Hitchcock fan/I'm definitely a Cary Grant fan

9. City of God - I know absolutely nothing about it, but apparently it's one of the best films of the 00s or something I don't know

10. Easy Rider - Really should have seen this by now

Watched: Dawn of the Dead - 3.5/5; Adaptation - 4/5; Sullivan's Travels - 3.5/5; Touch of Evil - 5/5; Once Upon a Time in the West - 4/5; Boogie Nights - 3.5/5; Almost Famous - 4.5/5; Hiroshima Mon Amour - 4/5

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

PDMChubby, you get my favorite movie that I've seen from your list, City of God.

I just finished Death to Smoochy and I absolutely loved it. It's one of the most beautifully hosed-up films I've ever seen. Every character is perfectly cast (although I think Jon Polito would've been about the same in Danny DeVito's role). Catherine Keener and Vincent Schiavelli have roles that are very much what you'd expect from them.
I loved the directing style, with the sinister scenes having low-key lighting and Dutch angles. It was like an update of the Adam West Batman series in terms of cinematography. That suited it perfectly and made it more awesome. It's also the only place I've ever seen where Comic Sans looks appropriate.

The Hunt For Red October; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; Rashomon; Clash of the Titans; Tron; Enter the Dragon; The Karate Kid; Raging Bull; Cool Hand Luke; High and Low; Amores perros; City of God; Grand Slam; Robocop; The Maltese Falcon; Casablanca; Laura; Full Metal Jacket; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Blue Velvet; Apocalypse Now; Tombstone; Natural Born Killers; Alien; Barton Fink; F for Fake; Boogie Nights; The Evil Dead; Annie Hall; Paris, Texas; Léon/The Professional; Amarcord; ; The 400 Blows; Do the Right Thing; Beauty and the Beast; Casino; American Graffiti; Death to Smoochy

Bram Stoker's Dracula: I heard a ton of hype about this movie and the way it handles the Dracula mythos. I am a fan of Castlevania, so...
Forbidden Planet: Shakespeare's The Tempest done up as a 50s B-movie starring Leslie Nielsen? And it inspired Star Trek? I need to see this poo poo.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 23, 2010

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

CloseFriend posted:

Never seen it but I am planning to watch it soon so I might as well make someone else see it as well.

Boogie Nights was great. It's a long movie, but I was never bored. This is the first Paul Thomas Anderson movie that I've seen and I was very impressed. There are tons and tons of memorable characters supported by great acting. Mark Wahlberg, Burt Reynolds, John C. Reilly and Don Cheadle stood out the most to me, but everyone else was great as well.

1. Amadeus - Sounds great but the story and setting doesn't really pique my interest.

2. Raiders of the Lost Ark - Only seen parts of it on TV. Seems weird that I've never seen it in full.

3. A Streetcar Named Desire - Well, I have seen the Simpsons episode that was based on this...

4. Ikiru - All 3 Kurosawa movies that I've seen so far have been excellent. I would like to see more.

5. The Wild Bunch - I do like violent westerns!

6. Boogie Nights Pulp Fiction - I've seen large chunks of it, including the ending, but I feel like I should watch it from start to finish sometime. Unfortunately I don't think I could get full enjoyment out of it. Maybe I'm wrong.

7. The General - Apparently one of Buster Keaton's best, this would also be the oldest movie that I will have seen.

8. The Lady Vanishes - More Hitchcock.

9. M - It has a very compact title, doesn't it?

10. Pickpocket - Another French movie that I don't know much about.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr., Dirty Harry, The 39 Steps, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, 8 1/2, Boogie Nights

Atheistdeals.com fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Between Raiders and Pulp Fiction... Atheistdeals.com, you get 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'.

Took me way too long but finally saw Casablanca. It blew me away, it was not what I expected and I was engaged in the characters every step of the way.

On a more personal note, the comparisons of my grandfather (RIP) to Humphrey Bogart's appearance and some of his attributes made by some of my relatives in my past were well founded and made this movie- endearing.

1.Vertigo - Looking through this thread and thinking about it, I had seen Hitchcock movies on tv years ago on some classic movie channel. Loved them all but it seems I'd missed this one.
2.Citizen Kane - The 'Rose Bud' twist had been spoiled long before I knew about the movie and I had seen a parody done by Tiny Toons and thought the movie was ruined for me. Maybe I'm wrong?
3.The Third Man - Parts of this have been spoiled too. Hope it's still good when I get around to watching it.
4.Solaris - Saw the remake, always wanted to but never got around to looking up the original.
5.Aguirre: The Wrath of God - My dad actually recommended this one to me a long time ago. I should get around to seeing it sometime before he dies or whatever.
6.Casa Blanca - Pretty much the same reasons as #2.
7.Eyes Wide Shut - Love Kubrick, think this is the only movie of his I haven't seen.
8.Taxi Driver - "You talin' to me? You talkin' to me!?" always wanted to watch this but
9.This is Spinal Tap - Friend of mine from high school had this but we never got around to watching it.
10.A Fist Full of Dollars/A Few Dollars More - Always loved 'The Good the Bad and the Ugly, never knew it was part of a trilogy till a year or two ago.