Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

He tries, he really does... Play dead, roll over and spin.

(I'm well aware my treats and cues are way out; juggling a phone and treats is hard but it's also endlessly amusing to watch him flail about. :colbert:) I'm stocked that he's finally getting the hang of spin though!

http://youtu.be/J6uUQmQreCI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

It's hard to be a dog at my house. Sleeping all day on the couch. :geno:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Chow puppies are pretty round.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

This is why you should use flat-bottomed prep bowls for live ingredients.

Seriously, that puppy is god drat adorable.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

If I end up with a Chow puppy I will have to keep them in bowls 24/7 so their utter insanity doesn't drive me off a cliff

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
It is still snowing outside, but, hey, eventually it'll warm up, and thus more fun at the dog park. Last fall we went to the pool for this one day "Dog Swim" event, and there were a few awesome primitive dogs there.

This guy's name was Charlie, and he was very friendly.

I dunno what this thing was, but he certainly has some striking good looks.

There was also this adorable little Shiba there. He kept doing that funny Shiba bark/talk thing. That "Rrraah rah raaahhrrr" sound.

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

I never got to experience Artie at rolling potato stage, I think it would have been too sickly really

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Saint Darwin posted:

If I end up with a Chow puppy I will have to keep them in bowls 24/7 so their utter insanity doesn't drive me off a cliff
Chows have that primitive personality, but they're lazy as all gently caress so (in my experience at least) you get less insanity.

My favorite part of that gif remains the puppy tail. So curled! So short! :keke:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Don't you hate when your friends are infuriating. A few years ago, my friend and her now-fiance bought a shiba as their first dog at a pet store, despite me explaining that pet store puppies come from bybs/mills and that shibas aren't exactly the most biddable dogs. They were both broke college students then, so I have no idea how they were able to cough up probably around a grand for the dog, but they just had to have this dog because they :rolleyes:bonded with her:rolleyes: at the pet store. Well, she's in grad school and they're living on one income, and apparently they bought a GSD puppy from a "breeder" a few weeks ago. This time I'm keeping silent, and they can learn what hip dysplasia is on their own. I hate to think of what kind of hunchbacked mess this dog is going to grow into.

Oh and did I mention they live in an apartment. Who does these things. Who.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Serella posted:

Don't you hate when your friends are infuriating. A few years ago, my friend and her now-fiance bought a shiba as their first dog at a pet store, despite me explaining that pet store puppies come from bybs/mills and that shibas aren't exactly the most biddable dogs. They were both broke college students then, so I have no idea how they were able to cough up probably around a grand for the dog, but they just had to have this dog because they :rolleyes:bonded with her:rolleyes: at the pet store. Well, she's in grad school and they're living on one income, and apparently they bought a GSD puppy from a "breeder" a few weeks ago. This time I'm keeping silent, and they can learn what hip dysplasia is on their own. I hate to think of what kind of hunchbacked mess this dog is going to grow into.

Oh and did I mention they live in an apartment. Who does these things. Who.

What happened to the shiba?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

Chows have that primitive personality, but they're lazy as all gently caress so (in my experience at least) you get less insanity.

My favorite part of that gif remains the puppy tail. So curled! So short! :keke:

True, but the girlfriend is insisting any dog we get be part corgi.

So yeh, it's going to be a very excited chow.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Saint Darwin posted:

So yeh, it's going to be a very excited chow.
Barreling through the world at ankle height to everything. Something that fluffy should not be short.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

Barreling through the world at ankle height to everything. Something that fluffy should not be short.

Well at least we won't have to do the dusting anymore

Or clean the floors

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

c355n4 posted:

What happened to the shiba?

Oh, they still have her. I'm wondering if they got a male GSD, or if it's going to be a total poo poo fest at their house in a few months.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Goliath photo dump incoming... (Sorry a lot of them are instagram.)

Happy pup, this is what I wake up to most days.

Malamute cuddles on a cold night.

We hooked him up to a sled with a three year old last weekend, and he LOVED it. I'm really wondering if he was a sled dog at some point because he loves to pull in the snow, or if that's just his breed instincts. Anyway, he pulled this kid for over two miles and had a blast. He was in front of our "pack" (three people and two other dogs), his tail was curled the whole time, and he kept looking back at me and smiling. It was so cute, I almost exploded.

Derpin around.

We had 42 inches of snow in the last two weeks, the pup doesn't know what to think of it. This was during blizzard #1 of three with more to come.

It's been almost six months since we adopted him and I really can't imagine life without him. Sometimes he has accidents inside, but he's probably older than eight, so you can't really blame him. Good thing we have hardwood floors! He is so sweet, loving, tolerant, calm, and awesome, he is really the best dog I could ever dream of. I won't go into details because it makes me really sad, but it's obvious he has been abused in the past. This sounds cliche, but I really can't remember life before having a dog. He is the best and we love him so much!

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

Puppy went from being petrified of the lake, to seeing a Labrador come out of the lake and wondering how she managed to not be eaten, to slowly venturing close enough to face the lake monster himself. Much joy was had after that (earlier on he'd frozen walking over a bridge at the park and took lots of coaxing to go over it a few times)...

...the bath at home wasn't defeated, or appreciated though!

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
oh my god

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Yeah I thought having a white car was bad. I can't imagine having a white fluff ball for a dog.

Penny likes the mud too. This is her asking why she can't come in when it was raining.

Clean face for comparison

Hdip fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 22, 2013

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

Hdip posted:

Yeah I thought having a white car was bad. I can't imagine having a white fluff ball for a dog.

Penny likes the mud too. This is her asking why she can't come in when it was raining.

That's amazing, it looks like she literally just found the biggest mud pile she could and stuck her head in it :3:

Also, here's a video of a husky having a temper tantrum: http://www.wimp.com/huskytantrum/

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

I love your dog! I love how much you love your dog!

God, this is my favorite pet island thread. Everyone's dogs are are hilarious and gorgeous.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

A bunch of dog photographs!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Hey Saint Darwin, show your girlfriend this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yepuBKTO5hs
He's like some majestic battleship from the Age of Sail. :allears:

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 25, 2013

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

The booties picture is the best thing ever. :3:

It was Koji's 5th birthday on Tuesday. :toot:

Wave, Bubba!

The owner of our Three Dog talked with me about the Rangers and took a pretty great picture of the gremlins while we picked up birthday goodies.

More humiliation for a blueberry treat

Also, it turns out dog frosting is really thick, Ellie gave up shortly after this, so we saved the rest for later.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2m3z6dfmRI&sns=em

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

Hey Saint Darwin, show your girlfriend this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yepuBKTO5hs
He's like some majestic battleship from the Age of Sail. :allears:

I wanna mount deck cannons on that dog

Ponyfields
Nov 2, 2011
I've really enjoyed this thread and please, please keep posting pictures (particularly of Ellie, Koji and Golliath) and am now considering my own primitive puppy.

On that note, can I throw a few questions at the experienced Shiba owner, please? My boyfriend and I are in the process of buying our first house right now and we've been talking about getting a dog once we're all settled in. I've got my heart set on a Shiba despite having read this entire thread, 3 breed specific books and watched a pair of them try to eat my Mum's Chihuahua. While I'm all geared up to own a vindictive little ball of small animal eating, possession destroying chaos I'm a little bit worried about how a Shiba is likely to react with our current pet, Bird the Cockatiel.

I'm 99% sure the answer to "Will an average Shiba eat a free roaming bird?" will be "Yes." What I really want to know is, if we carefully worked with a decent breeder to get a less drivey puppy, carefully introduced the puppy to Bird and supervised them at all times, would this be a manageable situation? Both my boyfriend and I utterly adore Bird and would be devastated if anything unfortunate happened. I don't think it's really fair to keep Bird caged more than he is at the moment either, as he's completely used to chilling out on my boyfriend's shoulder while he works from home all day. As Shiba's are escape artists, I'm not sure how successful trying to keep it out of other rooms all the time would be either? (obv we'll try, though.)

There are no guarantees but has anyone else kept a Shiba with pet birds? Is there any chance of this situation not ending in tragedy or should do most Shiba's simply have such a strong prey drive it can't be mitigated? If it is possible to reduce their prey drive, if only with one specific pet, could anyone point me in the direction of some good resources please? I do want a Shiba, but not at the expense of Bird.

(Seriously, post more pictures!)

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
I don't think I'm ready for a primitive breed, but this Golden/Chow is very pretty and caught my eye. I'm sure someone will adopt him in no time.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Excellent part chow you've found

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Every time I see a chow, the sound blurf comes immediately to mind.

Ponyfields, if you like primitive breeds but don't want a dog with as much energy as a Shiba, why not think about another breed of dog? Like, well, you know. Chows are my favorite, and I've been posting about them here every chance I get.
Look, they have barely any energy at all!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO79R0rHjuI
They still romp about, though, and my mother's Chow hunts tiny lizards.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 08:54 on May 2, 2013

Ponyfields
Nov 2, 2011

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

Every time I see a chow, the sound blurf comes immediately to mind.

Ponyfields, if you like primitive breeds but don't want a dog with as much energy as a Shiba, why not think about another breed of dog? Like, well, you know. Chows are my favorite, and I've been posting about them here every chance I get.
Look, they have barely any energy at all!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO79R0rHjuI
They still romp about, though, and my mother's Chow hunts tiny lizards.

Chow's are awesome and that video was adorable, I love ridiculously fluffy dogs that require insane amount of grooming with smooshy faces! I do want a breed that needs at the very minimum an hours brisk walk/jog + play time off leash in a secure area (be it dog park or garden) and will enjoy long hikes up hills/through glens at the weekend, though. I kinda had the impression Chow's might find that a bit taxing?

The things I really like about Shibas were the high energy factor, stubborn/difficult disposition, independence, fact they don't have any really exaggerated features (plus the fluffiness) and general good health. I don't even mind the prey drive in general, biteyness, possible dog aggression issues and fact they often can't be off-lead dogs. I feel those things can be carefully dealt with. The only absolute deal breaker is if it is too unlikely that they could live with Bird without eating him, eventually.

Totally open to other suggestions of more suitable dogs if that's the case, though!

Ponyfields fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 2, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Ponyfields posted:

Chow's are awesome and that video was adorable, I love ridiculously fluffy dogs that require insane amount of grooming with smooshy faces! I do want a breed that needs at the very minimum an hours brisk walk/jog + play time off leash in a secure area (be it dog park or garden) and will enjoy long hikes up hills/through glens at the weekend, though. I kinda had the impression Chow's might find that a bit taxing?

The things I really like about Shibas were the high energy factor, stubborn/difficult disposition, independence, fact they don't have any really exaggerated features (plus the fluffiness) and general good health. I don't even mind the prey drive in general, biteyness, possible dog aggression issues and fact they often can't be off-lead dogs. I feel those things can be carefully dealt. The only absolute deal breaker is if it is too unlikely that they could live with Bird without eating him, eventually.

Totally open to other suggestions of more suitable dogs if that's the case, though!

From what I've seen they sort of deal with whatever is happening. They don't want to run around and sniff everything but they'll plug along and if you stop they'll kinda slowly wander around their environment, but they don't care enough to run. Might have just been thew few I've seen, though.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Ponyfields posted:

I don't even mind the prey drive in general, biteyness, possible dog aggression issues and fact they often can't be off-lead dogs. I feel those things can be carefully dealt.

Lol get an eskie.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Sitka image dump, incoming. We've not been doing much but she has been producing all of the cute.

Are we going for a run? Run now? Yes? I am so pretty you should take me for a run.

Post run snuggles. It is a critical part of the cooldown process.

I think this just her favorite way of snuggling with the humans.

There is a cat in there, though you can barely see her.

They are snuggle buddies.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

D'awww Sitka. :3:

Hrafn: A Jumble of Legs, co-starring Iyola Fivetoes. My dogs are broken.

supkirbs
Oct 15, 2012

The library is the worst bunch of people assembled in history. They're mean, conniving, rude and extremely well read which makes them very dangerous.

Ponyfields posted:

Our chow Mugen will run after/with us if we're running too, but doesn't initiate it unless he's spotted a squirrel to chase. I agree with Saint Darwin as to the fact they'll likely follow you to do what you're doing, but they get tuckered out pretty quick and they'd rather go lay down. They also get bored easily when playing, we can keep Mugen's attention maybe 5-10 minutes max when playing with him. We'll chase him, have him chase us, play tug-of-war with a toy, pseudo-fetch (the chow will only 'fetch' in order to play more tug-of-war...if he feels like it) but eventually he just kinda walks away. :sweatdrop:

He would only consent to going to the groomers if we let him drive.

Unfortunately they clipped him way shorter than we asked, which was sad, they did a great time the last time of making him just slightly less shaggy (maybe an inch or two off all around, only cut real short on his backside) but I think there was a miscommunication when my boyfriend's sister dropped him off. Oh, well, it's growing out fine & he's still retained his sassyness.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Ponyfields posted:

Shiba + Bird = ???

The long story to this is...IT DEPENDS.

Heh.

I do have a very good friend of mine who runs the Southern California Shiba Rescue (Saving Shibas Inc.) who has I believe an African Grey, as well as two permanent Shibas and a rotation of fosters. If I were to ever get a Sun Conure (I've always wanted one, but not sure if I'm cray enough to get one...) I'm sure Koji would handle it like a champ, though Ellie I'm not sure. You could probably teach them to leave it and I would NEVER leave the dog and the bird out together unsupervised, but it could work, it is possible.

Now, going the puppy route, know that they are complete terrors that like to bite and chase everything and have literally no attention spans or patience, so be prepared to have Bird put away for quite some time as you work on that puppy energy and mouthyness. Though only 15 lbs and such a small little girl, Ellie can apparently stretch high enough to table surf our dining room table and has come away with quite a few goodies we've had to rescue. Many breeders might also advise against you getting a puppy with your bird (dem dogs have hella prey drives), but talk openly and honestly with them about it and you might come to a good conclusion. Also don't discount rescues, we tend to test our dogs against everything when requested for special things like cats or birds or rodents.

I'll try to post more pictures. Next weekend Ellie is going to see her breeder and some of her litter mates, so it should be fun. :v I'd update my thread, but nothing interesting has happened lately.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I have a husky, a shiba, and two budgies. We have not had any problems with either of the dogs, for the most part they ignore the birds when they're in their cage. We haven't risked letting the birds out of the cage with the husky in the room, but the shiba has no problems with them.

Of course, our dogs are perhaps somewhat atypical, we can let them both off leash without worrying about them (the husky had pretty severe separation anxiety before we got the shiba).

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ponyfields posted:

My mother's Chow will go for walks with you, and she really likes it when you run briefly--she'll follow you. If you walk her in a vacant lot, she'll track lizards to their holes, snap them out, and eat them. So they do do things. On the other hand, Georgia's nose is a lot sharper than Mugen's, so I wonder if she's crossed with something else. I'll ask my mother if she has a picture.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My memories of my chow are of a very laid back dog. The only times I've seen him super active was when he was a puppy and when a small animal lands in the garden. A seagull landed and pecked at something on the ground and Tsar appeared out of nowhere and devoured the thing in one bite. Same with a bat that flew into the house. Just a brown meteor of fur out of the corner of your eye zooming through the scene, then whatever you were watching is in his stomach.

Ponyfields
Nov 2, 2011
Thanks for the responses guys. I really appreciate them (and Mugen's new do!) Can't wait to see the new Ellie pics and Sitka, Hrafn and Iyola are just gorgeous.

I hadn't really considered the idea of getting an older Shiba, but it definitely makes sense to speak to the rescue/breeders to see if they'd be willing to bird test an adult dog. Checking the Shiba isn't going to do the same thing as SynthOrange's Chow before we travel to the mainland to pick the dog up would be awesome. Having a puppy and needing to keep it separated from Bird until it develops a little self control wouldn't be a problem, but puppies are dicks and I certainly wouldn't mind skipping the making GBS threads everywhere phase.

On that note, do any UK Goons know if there are any other rescues for Shibas other than the Japanese Shiba Inu Rescue UK? They seem to move a really tiny number of dogs per year, and while I'm perfectly willing to wait for the right dog, I don't want to miss an avenue to find a suitable one. Failing that, any good breeders would be welcome. They don't need to be having litters in the next couple of months, it's unlikely we'll be even looking to contact anyone before October/November, and I will talk with the boyfriend about going the rescue route first.

Ponyfields fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Shiba Inu does not want your kisses!

:3: Too cute.

• Locked thread