Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Lockback posted:

Followed your advice, crashing still happens. :(

Do you have the compatibility patch for Electro-City and IWS? I didn't see that in your load order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Lockback posted:

Followed your advice, crashing still happens. :(

Try disabling Electro city: Work orders. I find highways and byways to be very unstable.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Do you have the compatibility patch for Electro-City and IWS? I didn't see that in your load order.

That's probably why it's unstable, I didn't even know about that. At any rate try disabling ECWO and see if that's the conflict.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Umph posted:

Try disabling Electro city: Work orders. I find highways and byways to be very unstable.

Actually Highways and Byways is a separate plugin, entirely. Electro-City: Work Orders.esp is the core module, and without it, you don't have the mod.

Magic
May 18, 2004

Your ass is on my platter, snapperhead!

myname_isdoug posted:

I'm not sure if he actually comes from somewhere specific in the world, but he makes a beeline for you after you pick up a couple star caps, so it wasn't a "random encounter" in the sense I think you perceived it to be.

Like the first time I saw him, I was digging in the Goodsprings cemetery under the cover of night (being a role-playing fag about it) and I found a silenced pistol in a grave and was all Hell Yes and suddenly my view spun around and he starts with his "I didn't know if you was a bandit or what so I was watchin ya" spiel and I thought I was in trouble for grave-robbin :shobon:
Huh, shame. Random things make players feel privileged that they occurred to them. :)

So are there any actual random encounters in the game that can happen anywhere? As opposed to ones that are triggered. I thought FallOut 3 had a few, like I once read that the alien ship crashing would occur in certain sectors or such.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Magic posted:

Huh, shame. Random things make players feel privileged that they occurred to them. :)

So are there any actual random encounters in the game that can happen anywhere? As opposed to ones that are triggered. I thought FallOut 3 had a few, like I once read that the alien ship crashing would occur in certain sectors or such.

I don't believe there are. I'm not even sure how difficult it would be to integrate a feature like this, considering we have FO3 as a template.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Huh, I didn't even know about that. I've been hunting for it and I can't seem to find this patch. Have a link?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lockback posted:

Huh, I didn't even know about that. I've been hunting for it and I can't seem to find this patch. Have a link?

It should be in Electro City. It was when I got it, anyway.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Your electro-city and Nevada Skies - URWLified are probably screwing it up. Push them to the bottom of the load order as so:

Nevada Skies - URWLified.esp
ELECTRO-CITY - CompletedWorkorders.esp
ELECTRO-CITY - Imaginator.esp

Also, URWLNV.esp is redundant because you're using Nevada Skies - URWLified.esp. Get rid of that.

Other way around. Nevada Skies - URWLified goes after ELECTRO-CITY.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Lockback posted:

Like Dickeye said, it's included with the Electro-City download. There's a compatibility plugin folder. That being said, I'm not sure if it'll fix your problem--the readme for the IWS compatibility patches is pretty barebones, and eludes to moving some of the IWS spawns away from areas where Electro-city makes changes. I'm not certain this is because those conflicts caused crashes, or because those conflicts led to poo poo-tons of Fiends spawning on top of Electro-City engineer camps.

Terpfen posted:

Other way around. Nevada Skies - URWLified goes after ELECTRO-CITY.

No poo poo? If that's the case, I've been doing it wrong all along. Guess I got them mixed up. Are you sure?

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 5, 2011

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

Magic posted:

FO3 had a bunch of random encounters and a set list of places where they could happen. Every time you went to a trigger (I think only if that trigger hadn't been used yet, though I may be wrong) there was a chance of one of the encounters happening.

They were mostly just things like Wastelanders fighting creatures and stuff like that, but there was also one which had an Alien Blaster and a bunch of ammo fall from the sky.

Here's a list of them.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

"Cream-of-Plenty” posted:

No poo poo? If that's the case, I've been doing it wrong all along. Guess I got them mixed up. Are you sure?

Straight from the mod’s Nexus page:

quote:

Load Order Recommendations
--------------------------------------------
FalloutNV.esm
(other .esms)
Ambient Temperature.esm
(other .esps)
Electro City - Completed Workorders
Electro City - Highways and Byways
Nevada Skies - URWLified
Ambient Temperature - URWLified Nevada Skies.esp
Stripnights Illuminator
Electro City - The Imaginator

Edit: P.S. Do I get a Duke tag for setting this straight? Duke clearly appreciates having the proper lighting conditions in and around Vegas.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Like Dickeye said, it's included with the Electro-City download. There's a compatibility plugin folder. That being said, I'm not sure if it'll fix your problem--the readme for the IWS compatibility patches is pretty barebones, and eludes to moving some of the IWS spawns away from areas where Electro-city makes changes. I'm not certain this is because those conflicts caused crashes, or because those conflicts led to poo poo-tons of Fiends spawning on top of Electro-City engineer camps.

I'll give this a go. Thanks!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Terpfen posted:

Straight from the mod’s Nexus page:

Edit: P.S. Do I get a Duke tag for setting this straight? Duke clearly appreciates having the proper lighting conditions in and around Vegas.

Well thanks for the heads up. I started using URWLified before it was really hashed out and had clear instructions on how it should be used. As for the Duke Tag, you must seek out His Dukeness, AxeManiac for such a privilege. I'm just a peon in that respect.

Lockback posted:

I'll give this a go. Thanks!

Let me know if that fixes your problem. It's a good learning experience for the thread.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Schubalts posted:

Adblockers ahooooy.

I was being too awesome with my ad-block technology :c00l:

Flashblock was intercepting it before adblock, so adblock wouldn't get to block it because it never detected it. If you allow flash from the Nexus suddenly adblock catches it and flashes for a second, then on to the file, bypassing the 30-second wait time.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Let me know if that fixes your problem. It's a good learning experience for the thread.

Bombed out again after like 8 or 9 minutes. Then I tried again and it crashed when I tried to save.

I may try playing with CalibreX and Classic Fallout Weapons and see if that does it. I wasn't really having any trouble before I installed those.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Lockback posted:

Bombed out again after like 8 or 9 minutes. Then I tried again and it crashed when I tried to save.

I may try playing with CalibreX and Classic Fallout Weapons and see if that does it. I wasn't really having any trouble before I installed those.

I had the same problem even with the compatibility patch and a proper load order. I was able to save again by disabling all parts of ELECTRO-CITY, loading my save, save, exit, and then enable ELECTRO-CITY again. Sadly this only worked for a few days and it started making GBS threads out again. Where are you saved at that it's crashing? Just curious because I had absolutely no problems until I got to 188 Trading Post.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
I'm getting close to the end of the initial testing for my pack and will be looking for a few more people for the final tweaking, minor bug catching, and feedback. If anyone's interested swing by my temp IRC chan on ircnet - #TheArmoryAlpha. If you don't have a good IRC client or don't want to bother with installing one and such, just grab ChatZilla for mozilla. Nice easy plugin with no installations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

FadedReality posted:

I had the same problem even with the compatibility patch and a proper load order. I was able to save again by disabling all parts of ELECTRO-CITY, loading my save, save, exit, and then enable ELECTRO-CITY again. Sadly this only worked for a few days and it started making GBS threads out again. Where are you saved at that it's crashing? Just curious because I had absolutely no problems until I got to 188 Trading Post.

Whoa, holy crap, yeah thats where I am. I did the RP start and started in Freeside, so its been a fun game of dodging from locale to locale trying to push SouthWest to try and get to Goodpsrings. The frequency of crashing has gone up as I have gotten closer to the trading post. I'll try this.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Have any of you had any problems with the 3GB enabler? Ever since I installed it, the title screen has been slowed to a crawl and I crash any time I try to enter a building. I uninstalled it, but I haven't found a way to reattach the game to steam (the enabler broke this).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Have any of you had any problems with the 3GB enabler? Ever since I installed it, the title screen has been slowed to a crawl and I crash any time I try to enter a building. I uninstalled it, but I haven't found a way to reattach the game to steam (the enabler broke this).

Check the intructions. There's a repairer, or you just put in the old .exe

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

FadedReality posted:

So yeah, that was exactly the problem. Did what you said and its stable again. Must be something amiss with the 188.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Lockback posted:

Whoa, holy crap, yeah thats where I am. I did the RP start and started in Freeside, so its been a fun game of dodging from locale to locale trying to push SouthWest to try and get to Goodpsrings. The frequency of crashing has gone up as I have gotten closer to the trading post. I'll try this.

I liked the RP start but man, the game is really set up for you to be near Goodsprings at the beginning, I learned. You're like a delicate dandelion compared to everyone else.

Also, don't be surprised but Doc Mitchell is glitched to gently caress when you finally get back. He kept telling me to sit down and begin the test and I couldn't get him to move on to his normal Doc mode.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

So are there any good weapon packs yet that look nice and are balanced for the game instead of being cheaty?

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Classic Fallout Weapons, Fallout 3 weapons restoration mod.

You shouldn't run into anything overpowered and thanks to the style of the weapons they fit in nicely to new vegas. I'd also suggest taking a look at either Weapon Mod Expansion or Weapon Mods Expanded. They make it so each vanilla weapon supports more weapon mods and makes some weapon mods universal between weapons. Just don't mix the two, despite the easily confused names they are incompatible.

Naky is also working on a big weapon pack that looks like it'll be pretty drat good.

Edit: Amstrad is also making a melee/unarmed weapons pack if you're into that sort of thing.

XENA I LOVE YOU fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 6, 2011

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Apocadall posted:

So are there any good weapon packs yet that look nice and are balanced for the game instead of being cheaty?

Classic Fallout Weapons - New Vegas is pretty good. It's not overpowered and adds some variety.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

SovietSteel posted:

Naky is also working on a big weapon pack that looks like it'll be pretty drat good.

The last bugfix update goes to the testers today... it may not have all the guns I wanted to release with, but I can always do that in an update. I was really trying hard to shoot for 100 guns and 50 melee, but at this point it's looking like about ~93-95 guns tops. There are a few that just aren't playing nice.

edit: I'm still looking for a couple extra hands to look at this thing. A few of my testers seem to have gotten busy or otherwise disappeared so I'm fairly short-handed.

Naky fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 7, 2011

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Naky posted:

edit: I'm still looking for a couple extra hands to look at this thing. A few of my testers seem to have gotten busy or otherwise disappeared so I'm fairly short-handed.

I can peek at it if you want.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

SovietSteel posted:

I can peek at it if you want.

Swing by our IRC chan then if you could then, #TheArmoryAlpha on ircnet and we'll get you hooked up. You're almost in time for the final update too.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Lockback posted:

Classic Fallout Weapons - New Vegas is pretty good. It's not overpowered and adds some variety.

Well I was more meaning real weapons packs that are balanced with Fallout's weapons. Like an old worn and beaten M14 or stuff.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.
I just can never muster up the motivation to do tons of playthroughs so I really try to tweak as I go to make a game as fun as possible the first time I run through it. Currently, the only content-ish mods I run are wasteland defense, classic fallout weapons, and WMX. I really want to add IWS but I currently already have massive problems with ammo. I literally am down to 1-2 reloads most of the time and really worry about running into 30 ghouls and blowing through my ammunition completely. I don't want to "cheat" ammo in either... Any suggestions on how to alleviate this?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Buy more ammo? Don't use one gun?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mr. Crow posted:

I try and carry one gun for each ammo type and I do fine. That's probably a tad excessive but with allies it's easy even if your Strength is low. Lot of times enemies in an area are all using the same gun so if thats not your ammo of choice youre kind of boned. Diversity is good.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

Mr. Crow posted:

What interesting ideas I wish I had thought of them....

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

wylker posted:

I just can never muster up the motivation to do tons of playthroughs so I really try to tweak as I go to make a game as fun as possible the first time I run through it. Currently, the only content-ish mods I run are wasteland defense, classic fallout weapons, and WMX. I really want to add IWS but I currently already have massive problems with ammo. I literally am down to 1-2 reloads most of the time and really worry about running into 30 ghouls and blowing through my ammunition completely. I don't want to "cheat" ammo in either... Any suggestions on how to alleviate this?

Use melee on things that use melee, used ranged on things that use ranged. This ensures you're never using ammo without getting it back, and to be honest ghouls are pretty easy to down with a super sledge.

The only thing this isn't true for is cazadores and deathclaws, and maybe super sledge using mutants since they pack a bit of a punch. These three things shouldn't cripple your ammo as much as running into a ghoul pack guns blazing would, though. Wasting ghouls with guns is totally unnecessary since they all go down in about two swings with a super sledge.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

wylker posted:

What interesting ideas I wish I had thought of them....

What else can I say? Play better? You don't want to "cheat" so I don't know what to suggest. You can make ammo but it's kind of self-defeating and easier to just sell excess ammo/buy new kinds. Take Scavenger (or whatever the ammo perk(s) are)?

SheepNameKiller posted:

Use melee on things that use melee, used ranged on things that use ranged. This ensures you're never using ammo without getting it back, and to be honest ghouls are pretty easy to down with a super sledge.

The only thing this isn't true for is cazadores and deathclaws, and maybe super sledge using mutants since they pack a bit of a punch. These three things shouldn't cripple your ammo as much as running into a ghoul pack guns blazing would, though. Wasting ghouls with guns is totally unnecessary since they all go down in about two swings with a super sledge.

Yes but you don't get the level of satisfaction out of mowing down hordes of ghouls with a mini-gun anywhere else.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Lockback posted:

I'm not quite sure how a BAR that does the same damage as a laughably lovely assault carbine is balanced.

But it's not overpowered :buddy:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Mr. Crow posted:

Yes but you don't get the level of satisfaction out of mowing down hordes of ghouls with a mini-gun anywhere else.

I prefer my lever-action shotgun. It just looks badass, like every lever-action gun. New Vegas needs more lever-action guns.

This derringer mod is pretty sweet, too.

Cialis Railman
Apr 20, 2007

I've found a massive two-handed katana on the Nexus. This, combined with a "stealth recon duster" from the advanced assault recon mod (or whatever it's called) will make my character look like an anime.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Apotheosis posted:

I've found a massive two-handed katana on the Nexus. This, combined with a "stealth recon duster" from the advanced assault recon mod (or whatever it's called) will make my character look like an anime.

But can you dual-wield two of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

Good news, I just hadn't found the crimson caravan or the gun runners yet. I've had a ton of caps laying around and now have several thousand rounds for fun-time. Oh and I'll work on "playing better" too :thumbsup: