Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

MsJoelBoxer posted:

Okay, I'm convinced. I'm decided to not be a big baby and to just go for it. Made my appointment for Veteran's Day since I'm off of work anyway.

I'm nervous, but I just keep remembering that whatever pain/discomfort I experience will only be temporary. I've been through things that were significantly more annoying long-term (shoulder surgery, RNY bypass, tattoos, foot surgery), so I think I can deal with some bad cramps. For worry-free birth control for the next five years? Yeah, I'll take it.

I just got my Paragard in yesterday and it really wasn't that bad (in my late 20s, no kids). Seriously, I think I spent more time answering questions about my health history and why I wanted Paragard over anything else than the NP spent on the procedure.

Funnily, the sound went in easily and then she had to try a few times to get the stupid IUD in (being very careful, of course). The sound felt like one moderate to bad cramp and then over quickly. The IUD felt like some moderate cramps while she was having issues and then one bad and rather sharp feeling cramp when inserted. Now, I'm just having normal intensity cramps. The real issue is, they just stick around rather than coming and going like cramps during my cycle. Now, so long as the thing stays put, I'm set for the next decade which is so very worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008
What's the info on high humidity affecting birth control pills?

I'll be staying with my mom and stepdad for 10 days on Wednesday and I will be staying in their basement during that time. The humidity can get from 65-75%. Wondering if I should keep my pills in a different level of the house.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Agreeable Employer posted:

What's the info on high humidity affecting birth control pills?

I'll be staying with my mom and stepdad for 10 days on Wednesday and I will be staying in their basement during that time. The humidity can get from 65-75%. Wondering if I should keep my pills in a different level of the house.

That's an interesting question. I don't know the answer but I did live in southeast Alabama for 3 years and no one who prescribed me pills when I was there warned against humidity. I think it't temperature more than humidity. But, I'd rather be safe than sorry if there's any question.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Geolicious posted:

But, I'd rather be safe than sorry if there's any question.

Pretty much this. Keep them in a cool dry place it's probably advised somewhere on the prescription packet.

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008

Geolicious posted:

That's an interesting question. I don't know the answer but I did live in southeast Alabama for 3 years and no one who prescribed me pills when I was there warned against humidity. I think it't temperature more than humidity. But, I'd rather be safe than sorry if there's any question.

My brother's sister gave me a similar answer (she moved to Florida last year) and said that she hasn't had any warnings concerning humidity.

'Course, I'll follow suit and keep them in a different level of the house.

edit Ha.. :wtc: "Brother's sister?" Meant Boyfriend's sister. Geeeeez.

Agreeable Employer fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 5, 2011

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Screw the enemy's gate man, I've got a fucking TAIL!
Do you know how crazy the ladies go for those?
I'm currently on 50mg of lamictal once a day for depression, and it works awesome. But it causes awful, terrible acne. So my doctor put me on Ortho TriCyclen. I looked up drug interactions, and read something along the lines of, "ortho makes the levels of lamictal in your blood super high/low" and I'm not sure what course of action to take. My doc said nothing about this interaction. I really don't want to discontinue the lamictal, it's the only med that has worked for me. Any suggestions?

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Starter Wiggin posted:

I'm currently on 50mg of lamictal once a day for depression, and it works awesome. But it causes awful, terrible acne. So my doctor put me on Ortho TriCyclen. I looked up drug interactions, and read something along the lines of, "ortho makes the levels of lamictal in your blood super high/low" and I'm not sure what course of action to take. My doc said nothing about this interaction. I really don't want to discontinue the lamictal, it's the only med that has worked for me. Any suggestions?

Essentially the pill will decrease the Lamictal levels in your body while you're taking it, and increase the Lamictal levels during your placebo week. The best thing you can do is watch for any relapse in your depressive symptoms, and talk to your doctor about increasing your Lamictal dose if your depression does come back.

MsJoelBoxer
Aug 31, 2004

Your judicial opinions hypnotize me.

Starter Wiggin posted:

I am on lamictal as well and was told by the prescribing doc as well as my gynecologist that it can make birth control pills less effective. You may want to discuss that with your doctor.

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

Quit moeing around like that, uguu~?
Welp, I did it! I have a Mirena! I'm in so much pain right now but it'll be so worth it once the pain goes away. Preparation wasn't that bad. I took 1000mg ibuprofen before I left and they had me take a urine test to confirm I wasn't pregnant. They measured my uterus and I was just the right size to have an IUD. Today I learned that the reason why some women experience perforation or having the IUD fall out is because their uteruses are too small. I didn't need a shot or anything up my cervix since I had already taken the ibuprofen. Anyway, both the measuring and the insertion hurt like a motherfucker. I screamed and had to squeeze a nurse's hand :sweatdrop: It was the worst pain I had ever experienced. On the bright side, it really was just for a couple seconds. I got my Vicodin afterward, which I took as soon as I got home, and now I'm just resting in bed. I'll have to return in a month for a followup.

And I asked about stuff like lifting, and my doctor said to keep doing what I normally do. The IUD should not fall out if it was inserted properly.

Edit: Today I woke up and the pain is completely gone. Plus I think my period stopped. Sweet!

BigGayLogan fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 4, 2011

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008
Anyone here have had the Essure procedure?

Thinking about once I turn 35, which is the recommended age to not be on combined birth control anymore, that I will go for it.

I live in Ontario, Canada and was told that it isn't covered under the provincial health insurance, although, it is in other provinces. Well... there could be a chance, hopefully, it will be covered within the next 7 years, 'cause, it sounds like something I'd go for.

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

Don't mess with Mister Creazil!

Agreeable Employer posted:

Anyone here have had the Essure procedure?

Thinking about once I turn 35, which is the recommended age to not be on combined birth control anymore, that I will go for it.

Wondering this as well. I'm 33 now with a 15 year old and a 10 year old with no plans for any future children. I've been on Loestrin 24 for about 5 or 6 years now and I love it but I'd like something more permanent that I wouldn't have to think about every day. I told my boyfriend that getting the Essure was going to be my 35th birthday to myself. I don't really remember seeing it mentioned much in this thread.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I can only remember a single poster in the last thread who had brought up getting it. This might be because it's still somewhat new.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Kerfuffle posted:

I can only remember a single poster in the last thread who had brought up getting it. This might be because it's still somewhat new.

SA also tends to be pretty young, and a lot of the posters in this thread are in their mid-twenties or younger. Essure is permanent enough and difficult enough for young/childless women to get that it ends up pretty far down the list of options for most of us in here, I think.

That being said, hopefully someone will pop out of the woodwork and share her experience. If not, maybe one of you can do so in the future! :)

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

I'm kinda freaked out at the moment.

So, a couple weeks ago I was taking antibiotics for an ear infection. I had sex during that time in which we would use a condom or pull out. No problems for 2 weeks. Now I'm taking it again because of a UTI. I just took one antibiotic so far and about 7 hours later BAM, breakthrough bleeding.
Now I don't know if it was the antibiotics causing the spotting or just random spotting. I don't think it's implantation bleeding because it's pretty much like menstrual blood not pinkish or brown, but I'm scared it is. I take 3 month birth control and my period isn't for another month. Any ideas? I'm thinking it's just probobly random breakthrough because I have been so drat stressed lately but I'm not really knowledgable about these things.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

My Little Puni posted:

I'm kinda freaked out at the moment.

So, a couple weeks ago I was taking antibiotics for an ear infection. I had sex during that time in which we would use a condom or pull out. No problems for 2 weeks. Now I'm taking it again because of a UTI. I just took one antibiotic so far and about 7 hours later BAM, breakthrough bleeding.
Now I don't know if it was the antibiotics causing the spotting or just random spotting. I don't think it's implantation bleeding because it's pretty much like menstrual blood not pinkish or brown, but I'm scared it is. I take 3 month birth control and my period isn't for another month. Any ideas? I'm thinking it's just probobly random breakthrough because I have been so drat stressed lately but I'm not really knowledgable about these things.

Which antibiotic are you taking? Have you been experiencing any vomiting or diarrhea? Most antibiotics (including those used for UTIs) don't affect birth control effectiveness unless they cause you to vomit a dose or have some pretty severe diarrhea. It's more likely that you're getting the breakthrough bleeding from other factors, like the effects of all that stress.

If it'll help keep your mind at ease and reduce some of that stress, just use backup protection for the duration and for 8-10 days (this depends on which antibiotic you're on) after completion of the antibiotics and you should be fine.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

It amoxil. No vomit, no di. But that definitely helps ease my mind a bit. It probably is stress but like I said I don't know too much about this stuff. My doctor is lovely (looking for a new one) and a bitch and never tells me about what I'm taking and has flat out refused to perscribe my anxiety medication that I have taken for 2 years. Even after having my psychologist send my records. Bitch, it's almost like she wants me to gently caress poo poo up.

Minnesota Nice.
Sep 1, 2008
And miles to go before I sleep.
And miles to go before I sleep.
My Little Puni, this is probably an obvious question, but are you sure the blood isn't from your urethra? Is it on your underwear, or are you seeing it when you wipe? Because that can be caused by the UTI. I'm sure you're aware, but just wanted to point it out as a possibility.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

MsJoelBoxer posted:

I am on lamictal as well and was told by the prescribing doc as well as my gynecologist that it can make birth control pills less effective. You may want to discuss that with your doctor.

This was a significant factor in my switch from the pill to Mirena, because I take 300mg of Lamictal. My skin kind of sucks, but I'd rather have that than bipolar mood swings, horrible periods and/or a baby.

Are you only taking the Ortho for your acne, Starer Wiggin, or for birth control also?

MsJoelBoxer
Aug 31, 2004

Your judicial opinions hypnotize me.
Got my Mirena yesterday. It wasn't too bad. My lower back is kind of sore, but a heating pad helps that a lot. Very glad to have BC off of my mind for the next five years. :)

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Due to not filling my BC pill prescription in time to start a new pack when my old one ended, I went a month without and tried to wait for my next period in order to start one, which is now 2 weeks late/not coming at all (pretty much normal for me when I'm not on the pill, so I'm not too concerned...) My new doctor wants me to take a pregnancy test and if it's negative I can go ahead with my new pack of pills. Problem is I don't know where to get a pregnancy test, do they have them at the grocery store and if so are they usually by condoms or by like ...baby food and stuff? Hah. I'm a grown adult but I still can't shake the embarrassment of the idea of asking an employee where the preg tests are :blush:

e: also what brands should I look for/avoid or tips on taking/interpreting it or... poo poo, I'm new at this, sorry. Is there a cheap place to just get one online?

v Thanks!

e2: Not pregnant! Gotta love grocery stores that don't have self-checkout, and cashiers that hold personal things up and go DO YOU WANNA SEPARATE BAG FOR THIS? ._.

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 13, 2011

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

drat Bananas posted:

Due to not filling my BC pill prescription in time to start a new pack when my old one ended, I went a month without and tried to wait for my next period in order to start one, which is now 2 weeks late/not coming at all (pretty much normal for me when I'm not on the pill, so I'm not too concerned...) My new doctor wants me to take a pregnancy test and if it's negative I can go ahead with my new pack of pills. Problem is I don't know where to get a pregnancy test, do they have them at the grocery store and if so are they usually by condoms or by like ...baby food and stuff? Hah. I'm a grown adult but I still can't shake the embarrassment of the idea of asking an employee where the preg tests are :blush:

e: also what brands should I look for/avoid or tips on taking/interpreting it or... poo poo, I'm new at this, sorry.

You can normally find pregnancy tests in the same section as condoms and lube- the "family planning" aisle.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

drat Bananas posted:

e: also what brands should I look for/avoid or tips on taking/interpreting it or... poo poo, I'm new at this, sorry. Is there a cheap place to just get one online?

v Thanks!

If you have Kaiser insurance you can walk into their lab area with no appointment and take a free pee test right there, no questions.

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

I have a really gross question:

Ok, so you all know last week I got a Mirena. The day after, my period stopped and then I ended up spotting for the next couple days. Then completely nothing. Now I've been getting this brown discharge. It's much lighter and thicker than typical spotting. This will eventually go away, right?
If it helps I've been celibate since around April and I've tested completely clean.

Otherwise, things have been well. Had minor cramps the second day and nothing since. And I think, but not 100% sure, that I'm starting to lose that weight I gained while on the pill.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Screw the enemy's gate man, I've got a fucking TAIL!
Do you know how crazy the ladies go for those?

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

This was a significant factor in my switch from the pill to Mirena, because I take 300mg of Lamictal. My skin kind of sucks, but I'd rather have that than bipolar mood swings, horrible periods and/or a baby.

Are you only taking the Ortho for your acne, Starer Wiggin, or for birth control also?

It's just for acne. I can't have kids, so if the "no babies" effect of the pill is lessened, and the lamictal is unaffected, then that's all I'm worried about. So far, everything seems ok.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

BigGayLogan posted:

I have a really gross question:

Ok, so you all know last week I got a Mirena. The day after, my period stopped and then I ended up spotting for the next couple days. Then completely nothing. Now I've been getting this brown discharge. It's much lighter and thicker than typical spotting. This will eventually go away, right?

I've been dealing with this for about a month now :negative:

tishthedish
Jan 21, 2007

I'm standing at her shores
I was taking ortho cept for 3.5 years, and I always skipped the placebos. I never had any bad side effects so my gynecologist said it was alright. My husband and I are looking to start making babies, so I took my last pill on Oct 30th. I started my period on November 2nd and have been bleeding ever since. I figure that my body is just adjusting, but at what point should I alert my doctor? Just to clarify, I'm on day 12 of my period.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

tishthedish posted:

I was taking ortho cept for 3.5 years, and I always skipped the placebos. I never had any bad side effects so my gynecologist said it was alright. My husband and I are looking to start making babies, so I took my last pill on Oct 30th. I started my period on November 2nd and have been bleeding ever since. I figure that my body is just adjusting, but at what point should I alert my doctor? Just to clarify, I'm on day 12 of my period.

As far as I know, you can bleed indefinitely with no real problems. What you need to worry about is volume. The doctor's advice that I've received as far as this goes is that "if you're bleeding through a pad in an hour, there's a problem." This is probably just your body readjusting without hormone, a couple+ weeks isn't anything to worry about unless it's severe/painful.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I skipped for 5-6 months and it was like Carrie at prom when I stopped, so I don't think it's unusual. Since you're looking to start making babies maybe just go to the doctor anyway? I'm sure there's pre-babbyformed stuff you could inspect while you're there.

tishthedish
Jan 21, 2007

Thanks guys. It isn't a heavy period, really only enough to just have to use a pad. My husband and I have talked about the baby thing for awhile, so I saw a gyno in July and have been taking prenatals for 3.5 months now. I just didn't want to actually get off the pill/have to suffer through periods until the last moment! :haw:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

drat Bananas posted:

v Thanks!

e2: Not pregnant! Gotta love grocery stores that don't have self-checkout, and cashiers that hold personal things up and go DO YOU WANNA SEPARATE BAG FOR THIS? ._.

If you ever need something like that again and don't want to deal with the whole personal items/cashier thing, I've always had luck with drugstore.com. I go there when I don't feel like broadcasting my private health problems to everyone. The main downside is the shipping costs and you can't get it immediately like in the store, but it's something to consider.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Well gently caress, so that post earlier about being on atibiotics while taking BC...yeah...I'm thinking I'm pregnant now, even though we were extra careful the times we had sex and even without protection he pulled out. I've been spotting for the past few days and peeing all the loving time. poo poo...Time to go get a test.

Moral of the story, be really really loving careful while taking antibiotics, or just don't have sex

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

My Little Puni posted:

Well gently caress, so that post earlier about being on atibiotics while taking BC...yeah...I'm thinking I'm pregnant now, even though we were extra careful the times we had sex and even without protection he pulled out. I've been spotting for the past few days and peeing all the loving time. poo poo...Time to go get a test.

Moral of the story, be really really loving careful while taking antibiotics, or just don't have sex

Planned Parenthood states the only antibiotic that can (edit: is proven to) interfere with the effectiveness of hormonal birth control is rifampin. The idea that all antibiotics can decrease BC's effectiveness is, I think, left over from decades ago when the medical community wasn't sure and wanted to play it on the safe side.

Peeing more frequently and spotting can be caused by plenty of other things. Don't convince yourself you're pregnant before you take a test! Best of luck!

PS In your history in this thread you seem to be very anxious about getting pregnant. Have you considered looking into another form of birth control that doesn't have such a high chance of user error? You may be more comfortable on another method!

Bagleworm fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 14, 2011

chapstickie
Apr 30, 2011

My Little Puni posted:

If you have a UTI it's pretty silly to be worried about peeing too much. Get tested of course but you shouldn't worry too much yet.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Thanks, there's still the possibility that it's something else. But you know, only you know your body best and right now something just doesn't feel right...I'm spotting (which almost never happens to me), peeing every loving 10 minutes, am fatigued a lot (to the point of me not even bothering to take my pj's off) and am having some bad cramping. All are explainable by other things, especially the amount of stress I've been under, but these are also all early signs of pregnancy and would fit the time frame of when I may have conceived.

If it turns out not to be the case (please please please, I'm not ready at all) I have thought about an IUD but my cervix is really small (sometimes just some light sex will hurt like a bitch and make me bleed) and don't know if it would even fit. Anybody have experience with the patch? I don't think I'd like nuvaring. I'm not sure I would like having to take it out every month and putting a new one in, not to mention my bf is pretty big and I was reading about eggrolled's issue. So any suggestions will be taken in to consideration.

Still, I'm pretty nervous, if anyone has some advice or signs to look out for or anything to ease my mind, it would be greatly appreciated.

VVVVV Really, I'm not trying to reject other options. I'm just a scaredy cat about things being INSIDE me. But thank you, I guess I just assume that my UTI is pretty cleared up because it's been about a week but I guess I shouldn't rule it out yet. I'm making an appointment today and talk to my doctor, even though she drives me crazy, to get a test, and discuss other options

Ball Tazeman fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 14, 2011

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Once your UTI is cleared up (and I'm with the other posters-- I understand being :tinfoil: about being pregnant, but all those things could be from the UTI, especially the peeing all the time thing), go see a gyno and talk about all your options. It is really unlikely that your cervix is somehow so miniature as to make it impossible for you to have an IUD. You seem to be ready to reject all suggestions really quickly, so it would be good for you to do more research on each method and talk with a doctor who can actually look at your history and up your vag and tell you what would be a good option for you.

eta: In the meantime, make sure you're drinking lots of water.

Drugraid4am
Jan 16, 2004

I decided after trying the Nuvaring for almost two months that hormonal birth control isn't for me. It makes me moody and gives me yeast infections. It seemed like such a great concept and I'm disappointed it didn't work out.

I asked about permanent birth control and was basically laughed at and told I'll change my mind. I'm almost 30 so no; I'm pretty sure I know what I want in life at this point. Kinda screwed up I can choose to have an abortion but can't choose to remove my ability to bear a child. Guess I can just go back to pulling out and having broken condoms and then go get an abortion because that's totally a better option then allowing me, a grown rear end women, to make a choice about my body.

Gonna look into paying for an IUD out of pocket through Planned Parenthood. The ones here are really nice and by far the most informed people I've ever dealt with. I used them for stuff before I had insurance.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

My Little Puni posted:

Thanks, there's still the possibility that it's something else. But you know, only you know your body best and right now something just doesn't feel right...I'm spotting (which almost never happens to me), peeing every loving 10 minutes, am fatigued a lot (to the point of me not even bothering to take my pj's off) and am having some bad cramping. All are explainable by other things, especially the amount of stress I've been under, but these are also all early signs of pregnancy and would fit the time frame of when I may have conceived.

If it turns out not to be the case (please please please, I'm not ready at all) I have thought about an IUD but my cervix is really small (sometimes just some light sex will hurt like a bitch and make me bleed) and don't know if it would even fit. Anybody have experience with the patch? I don't think I'd like nuvaring. I'm not sure I would like having to take it out every month and putting a new one in, not to mention my bf is pretty big and I was reading about eggrolled's issue. So any suggestions will be taken in to consideration.

Still, I'm pretty nervous, if anyone has some advice or signs to look out for or anything to ease my mind, it would be greatly appreciated.

VVVVV Really, I'm not trying to reject other options. I'm just a scaredy cat about things being INSIDE me. But thank you, I guess I just assume that my UTI is pretty cleared up because it's been about a week but I guess I shouldn't rule it out yet. I'm making an appointment today and talk to my doctor, even though she drives me crazy, to get a test, and discuss other options

If it makes you feel any better, I've had spells on the pill where I've had similar symptoms (peeing constantly, spotting, etc. etc.) and it just turned out to be some fluke thing. Especially coming right off a UTI, it's probably not reason to freak out yet. But by all means, do whatever you have to do to give yourself some peace of mind.

Also keep in mind that while it can be hormonal, a lot of the connection between pregnancy and peeing a lot comes from when the baby gets big enough to put physical pressure on the bladder.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

My Little Puni posted:

High levels of anxiety can also cause excessive peeing and make you feel numb, paranoid, faint, and nauseous.

I say this from experience. Hang in there. :shobon:

SqueakovaPeep
May 6, 2007

I am the night.
So I recently began birth control and unfortunately will also soon be losing coverage under my parents. I was hoping to hoard bc and buy as much as I can while I am still under insurance. Is there a way I can get more than usual under my insurance? Who do I need to convince? What could/should I say? And is this even possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tishthedish
Jan 21, 2007

You can see about getting three months at a time. A lot of insurance companies will do that, but oftentimes you will have to mail it out. Check your parents' pharmacy policy for mail orders.

• Locked thread