Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

BobbyK posted:

Yeah dude, thanks for putting him in his place and then posting the latest onion story you found on the site. You're like an angry RSS feed.

Please, continue, clearly this is a derail worth having :allears:

Report: Most Couples Met On Set Of 'Daredevil'.
Daniel Craig Takes Home Pretty Good Actor Award. Not sure I'd call Sam Worthington a perfectly fine actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

BobbyK posted:

Yeah dude, thanks for putting him in his place and then posting the latest onion story you found on the site. You're like an angry RSS feed.

Shut up, oval office.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

khwarezm posted:

Please, continue, clearly this is a derail worth having :allears:

Report: Most Couples Met On Set Of 'Daredevil'.
Daniel Craig Takes Home Pretty Good Actor Award. Not sure I'd call Sam Worthington a perfectly fine actor.

Talking about an onion article in a thread about onion articles isn't a derail.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

All on Black posted:

Thinking the joke wasn't funny doesn't mean someone doesn't understand. It may mean they believe that humour has a limit and lazy writing isn't necessarily defensible just by crying "SATIRE!"

It absolutely does because satire doesn't have to be ha-ha funny. Judging it as a joke and not as satire shows they don't understand.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Shut up, oval office.

I'm a 9 year old girl irl you better apologize.

e: forgot to link the most recent onion article. http://www.theonion.com/articles/culinary-world-stunned-as-horse-meat-found-at-3sta,31451/

BobbyK has a new favorite as of 00:55 on Feb 27, 2013

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Dr_Amazing posted:

Talking about an onion article in a thread about onion articles isn't a derail.

He wasn't though, he was complaining that someone posted onion articles in the post onion articles thread, and didn't continue talking about dumb tweets.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
:stare:

Yeah, I think I need to take a break from the Onion for a while.

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.

Enderzero posted:

It absolutely does because satire doesn't have to be ha-ha funny. Judging it as a joke and not as satire shows they don't understand.

I just don't think that seeing it as a lazy attempt and in poor judgement indicates misunderstanding. I understand satire just fine and in my opinion it falls
flat and sounds like they jumped at the chance to call someone a oval office. But either way I'm going to stop before probations start happening.

All on Black has a new favorite as of 02:52 on Feb 27, 2013

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

All on Black posted:

I just don't think that seeing it as a lazy attempt and in poor judgement indicted misunderstanding. I understand satire just fine and in my opinion it falls
flat and sounds like they jumped at the chance to call someone a oval office. But either way I'm going to stop before probations start happening.

Then you are being willfully obtuse. A satire publication says something incredibly cruel, and your reaction is to assume they just really wanted to hateful to a 9 year old? Are we so hateful a country that you think someone would actually mean that and not have a deeper intention?

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.

Enderzero posted:

Then you are being willfully obtuse. A satire publication says something incredibly cruel, and your reaction is to assume they just really wanted to hateful to a 9 year old? Are we so hateful a country that you think someone would actually mean that and not have a deeper intention?

I don't think that was the intention, but that's how it comes across. Again, thinking it falls flat does not mean I don't understand. I fully understand the meaning of the tweet and I get what they're poking fun at, but I think it was poorly executed and smacks of laziness.

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.
TOO MUCH BLAH BLAH NOT ENOUGH HA HA

Also:

We're Investing So Much In Alternative Fuels, Sometimes We Almost Forget To Pump Oil! by Tony Hayward, CEO, BP

Note that this is a couple years before he became a household name by focusing on green energy all over the Louisiana coast.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Mom And Dad, I'm Gay And Also Stronger Than Both Of You, So Don't Try Any poo poo

Your Obsessive Love Or Hatred Of Me Means Nothing In The Grand Scheme Of Geological Time

It's Nice We Can Finally Look Back On That Whole Oil Spill And Laugh

Look, Are We Going To Spend The Rest Of This Board Meeting Talking About Why I'm Covered In Blood And Feces Or Are We Going To Talk Business?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

This is a masterpiece.

It must have been mentioned already somewhere, but this one has always struck me as being dead on.
http://www.theonion.com/articles/american-people-hire-highpowered-lobbyist-to-push,18204/

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI
Here are some more corrections, cunts.

quote:

The Onion regrets that its recent editorial entitled "Arizona Law Will Institutionalize Anti-Mexican Sentiment" completely contradicts its 1846 editorial "Those Popish Brown-Skins Must Be Piked." We apologize for any confusion.

quote:

In last week's piece on Harold Thiede, the 103-year-old die-hard Baltimore Orioles fan, we incorrectly stated that he hasn't missed a home game in 73 years. Upon further investigation, Thiede once left a game at the top of the sixth inning to attend his daughter's wedding. The Onion regrets that Mr. Thiede is a loving liar.

quote:

In last Sunday's paper,The Onion forgot to print the answers to our "Spot the Difference" puzzle. The differences were: the boy's hair is parted on the left, the tree branch is missing, the Bible is wider, the rainbow bumper sticker is inverted, and the flames on the cross are taller. The Onion regrets the error.

quote:

The information printed last week about The Onion's college internship program contained a number of errors. Firstly, the internships are unpaid. Secondly, the criteria for acceptance are based not on academic achievement but on gender, physical measurements, and ignorance of labor laws. The Onion apologizes for the error.

quote:

Monday's article on the Fourth Avenue rapist contained a number of hasty presumptions. The assailant could have been wearing any kind of dark shoes, not necessarily chocolate-colored Converse high-tops, and even if he was, anybody can order those online. The so-called "writer's callus" on his right middle figure might actually be something that Mexican guys get from firing guns a lot. Lastly, Police Chief Harris' advice to victims to fight back and injure the rapist's groin would probably just make him madder. Don't make it worse by trying to be Wonder Woman.

quote:

The Onion correctly stated that camels have three eyelids per eye to protect themselves from blowing desert sand; however, it should not have been the only item in last week's Weddings section.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

Jesus.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Yeah, I get the impression one of the writers there does all of his work at 3 AM, with an open bottle of gin next to his mousepad.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Yeah, I get the impression one of the writers there does all of his work at 3 AM, with an open bottle of gin next to his mousepad.

Maybe he shares Kelly's whiskey sours. :allears:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

All on Black posted:

I don't think that was the intention, but that's how it comes across. Again, thinking it falls flat does not mean I don't understand. I fully understand the meaning of the tweet and I get what they're poking fun at, but I think it was poorly executed and smacks of laziness.

This conversation is over. Report any continuations of it, please.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
A pretty good synopsis of how the United States federal government operates in the year 2013.

Obama, Congress Must Reach Deal On Budget By March 1, And Then April 1, And Then April 20, And Then April 28, And Then May 1 And Then Twice A Week For Next Four Years

quote:

“And then 15 more years of talks if they are unable to come to some sort of compromise,” Case added. “I don’t see an agreement happening at all before the final Sept. 4, 2342 deadline.”

Silent Potato
Sep 7, 2011

Insatiable Water Droplet Barrels Down Windowpane Consuming Everything In Its Path

There isn't much to the article, but I laughed at the headline.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
I love point/counterpoint and I wish they would write more of them. This one is my favourite:
I Know It's Crazy, But Some Days I Feel Like Everybody Is Out To Get Me vs. Our Mission Has Been Compromised! Abort!

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

Anyone who lived in a particularly rainy area as a child probably thought about this.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

For some reason, this one made me tear up a bit.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
:stare:

We Gave Rex To A Nice Farm Family vs. They Had Me Put To Sleep At The Vet

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I do love the image we have of it being literally one dude. Like everyone else has stacks of 'Oh poo poo, dolphins have thumbs' and Kelly sketches, and then Sad Kevin just mumbled "Maybe something about how the reward for a long and healthy life is watching all your loved ones slowly die around you" and everyone goes quiet.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Reminds me of this one. "If only Cody hadn't been so allergic to ol' Buster, his faithful pup would still be alive today" is a good line, but there's just so many amazing dickpunches in the article.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
The Onion is right on top of current events again. Bob Woodward has just claimed that the White House threatened him over his coverage of the budget sequester, but the "threat" turned out to be nothing. The Onion now has this story: Anonymous Source Informs Bob Woodward He Hasn't Been Relevant In 40 Years.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I do love the image we have of it being literally one dude. Like everyone else has stacks of 'Oh poo poo, dolphins have thumbs' and Kelly sketches, and then Sad Kevin just mumbled "Maybe something about how the reward for a long and healthy life is watching all your loved ones slowly die around you" and everyone goes quiet.

Sad Kevin writes the best articles. That article about the birth of her daughter being the least painful experience with her is amazing and so sad

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

There should be a law against those week in review videos. I think I'm about to watch a delightful new Onion video, but I see an ad then an intern doing voiceover of their headlines.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Fanzay posted:

I love point/counterpoint and I wish they would write more of them. This one is my favourite:
I Know It's Crazy, But Some Days I Feel Like Everybody Is Out To Get Me vs. Our Mission Has Been Compromised! Abort!

I love them too. They should do them more often

We Must Retaliate With Blind Rage vs. We Must Retaliate With Measured, Focused Rage

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I think this one's from Sad Kevin: I Am So Starving vs. I Am So Starving

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Sad Kevin is Todd Hanson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mnOgjJwO14

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Looks like this is a response to some of that controversial tweet business:

New Study Finds 'The Onion' Has Never Been More Popular, More Beloved, Or More Respected

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
White History Year Resumes

Not only funny as always, but the perfect rebuttal to the ever classic "Why don't white people get a history month! It's so racist!! :qq:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Look, It’s Come Down To This: Either I Have To Murder John Boehner Or He Has To Murder Me

quote:

John completely agrees with me on this point. Just the other day we were in the Oval Office, once again going back and forth about our different views on tax cuts and the government’s long-term deficit for the umpteenth time, and I looked him dead in the eye and finally asked point-blank: “John, do you think one of us is going to have to murder the other?” He responded, “Yes, I think so,” and we both left the room.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Last Chance posted:

Looks like this is a response to some of that controversial tweet business:

New Study Finds 'The Onion' Has Never Been More Popular, More Beloved, Or More Respected

That's a great response. I'm glad to see them joke about it.

And here is a recent one that got the biggest guffaw out of me yet: Sonny Bono Foundation Prevents At-Risk Youths From Skiing Into Trees. I feel sort of bad about laughing at famous people dying stupid deaths, but it is too funny not to.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Brother Jonathan posted:

And here is a recent one that got the biggest guffaw out of me yet: Sonny Bono Foundation Prevents At-Risk Youths From Skiing Into Trees. I feel sort of bad about laughing at famous people dying stupid deaths, but it is too funny not to.

That one got a reaction out of me mostly because I studied copyright law and the music industry, so I think of Sonny Bono as the following, in order of importance:
1) The reason copyright terms are so goddamn long right now
2) An incredibly influential songwriter and force in the music industry
3) Half of Sonny and Cher
4) Guy who ran into a tree

Basically the punchline was the last thing I was expecting, despite how obvious it is.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

They definitely should.

New Editorial Cartoon: Clicky I love you Kelly. :allears:

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Fanzay posted:

I love point/counterpoint and I wish they would write more of them.

My Year Volunteering As A Teacher Helped Educate A New Generation Of Underprivileged Kids vs. Can We Please, Just Once, Have A Real Teacher?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Two classic point/counterpoints:

My Computer Totally Hates Me! vs. God, Do I Hate That Bitch

This War Will Destabilize The Entire Mideast Region And Set Off A Global Shockwave Of Anti-Americanism vs. No it won't

The second one refers to the Iraq war. I swear, between that one and this one, if I didn't know better, I'd say they were psychic:

Bush: 'Our Long National Nightmare Of Peace And Prosperity Is Finally Over'