Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Funkysauce posted:

Goons, what do I do? :confused:

You buy two copies of every Yakuza game so they keep making more. I wouldn't buy a PS4 myself, though. Waste of money when there's no exclusives worth the system's high cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Funkysauce posted:

It's crushing decision time. Do I import Ishin and Y5 for PS3 or PS4?

I don't own a PS4 but planned on getting one but there's really no need to HAVE TO GO AND GET ONE NOOOW, there's nothing aside from Ishin and I figured the Yakuza imports aren't worth buying the console for.

Goons, what do I do? :confused:

There's no Y5 for PS4 as far as I know.

There are some comparison videos of Isin on 3 and 4: http://dswiipspwikips3.jp/ryu_ishin/ps3_ps4.html

e: Also, Isin is great, but definitely go with 5 if you're picking just one.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 7, 2014

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Just got to Tanimura's chapter in Yakuza 4. So far he is not nearly as gripping a character as Akiyama and Saejima were. Still, I am enjoying my run through the game. Much more so than Yakuza 3 (which I thought was pretty weak).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The crafting system in Ishin is designed for the loooong haul (or maybe monetization, though there's nothing on the PS store yet) in a way that the other games aren't. Holy hell it takes a lot of money to get into even the middle range of swords and guns. As it is, basically all the good swords I am getting came from the periodical free item packs that get distributed via game updates. I don't think that's what they intended to have happen.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
3 and 4 are two of my favorite video games ever and I never even touched the crafting beyond the tutorial part.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Neo Rasa posted:

3 and 4 are two of my favorite video games ever and I never even touched the crafting beyond the tutorial part.
Crafting is important in Ishin and Kenzan though because weak sword = get killed.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Samurai Sanders posted:

The crafting system in Ishin is designed for the loooong haul (or maybe monetization, though there's nothing on the PS store yet) in a way that the other games aren't. Holy hell it takes a lot of money to get into even the middle range of swords and guns. As it is, basically all the good swords I am getting came from the periodical free item packs that get distributed via game updates. I don't think that's what they intended to have happen.

They probably thought players would see the amount of money required and go hard into gambling. Ishin has those "guaranteed win" gambling items doesn't it?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Either way, for my main sword and gun, and my nodachi, I seem to have reached the limits of how far I can upgrade it using any materials I have ever encountered. I am guessing they are further down into the dungeon minigame.

Also you can combine your Shinsengumi members the same as you can combine weapons, attaching one of their xp and special abilities to the other. Biological alchemy or something? Did they agree to this when they signed up?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Apr 8, 2014

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

Just got to Tanimura's chapter in Yakuza 4. So far he is not nearly as gripping a character as Akiyama and Saejima were. Still, I am enjoying my run through the game. Much more so than Yakuza 3 (which I thought was pretty weak).

Tanimura is certainly the weakest plotwise, but I liked that you could do dumb little cop missions if you tuned into the radio. He's also a surprisingly nice change of pace when it comes to combat.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

blackguy32 posted:

Tanimura has my favorite fighting style in the game. His story comes off a little weak after Saejima's (I'm biased though, obviously), but breaking everybody's bones makes up for it.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

You get a ten-star sword for clearing all the substories.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Either way, for my main sword and gun, and my nodachi, I seem to have reached the limits of how far I can upgrade it using any materials I have ever encountered. I am guessing they are further down into the dungeon minigame.

Also you can combine your Shinsengumi members the same as you can combine weapons, attaching one of their xp and special abilities to the other. Biological alchemy or something? Did they agree to this when they signed up?

You can buy rare items with the points you earn from the 100-man fights or tournaments in the battle arena but you have to grind it for so long I didn't have the patience. Then again, the dungeons got insanely boring and tedious for me too (somewhere around halfway through the second set where I played one for like, over 20 minutes to get to the end... probably didn't help that I died).

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 9, 2014

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

So this is what Yakuza 6 is gonna be like right https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZURNR3uuHGA

Maybe?.....no?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

A Cup of Ramen posted:

So this is what Yakuza 6 is gonna be like right https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZURNR3uuHGA

Maybe?.....no?

Nope, unfortunately. For a variety of reasons, I don't think we'll ever see Haruka get violent. Given how desperately Kiryu would prefer to live the rest of his life in peace, I doubt he'd be okay with Haruka beating the crap outta people (even if they deserve it). Also, I can't say for sure since I'm about as good at understanding foreign cultures as I am at quantum physics, but I get feeling that the Japanese audience would prefer Haruka to be all womanly and cute. That said, her quest to become an idol in Yakuza 5 kinda reinforces that feeling.

It's too bad, really. I don't necessarily want Haruka as a protagonist in a Yakuza game, but I would like for her to judo flip some dude through a window when he tries to kidnap her...again. She's had to have picked up at least ONE move, right?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
There's one thing I have no idea where it's going in Ishin: There are lots of people in this game that every time you do a subquest for them, their liking you gauge goes up, and when its full you get a reward. However, there's this miko who works in the shrine, and if you talk to her Sakamoto basically says "sup" and she says "sup" and her gauge goes up. What's her deal?

i mean cmon
May 25, 2005
This thread convinced me to get the Ishin import and I am so glad it did! I'm only midway through chapter one right now but I think this may be my favorite Yakuza game already. I only know a little Japanese, but I'm fluent in the language of punching.

If I'm playing on easy mode, do I need to bother with enchanted weapons? I was always confused by the weapon upgrade systems even in the English versions, so if I can I'd prefer to just avoid them all together.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Shinjobi posted:

Nope, unfortunately. For a variety of reasons, I don't think we'll ever see Haruka get violent. Given how desperately Kiryu would prefer to live the rest of his life in peace, I doubt he'd be okay with Haruka beating the crap outta people (even if they deserve it). Also, I can't say for sure since I'm about as good at understanding foreign cultures as I am at quantum physics, but I get feeling that the Japanese audience would prefer Haruka to be all womanly and cute. That said, her quest to become an idol in Yakuza 5 kinda reinforces that feeling.

It's too bad, really. I don't necessarily want Haruka as a protagonist in a Yakuza game, but I would like for her to judo flip some dude through a window when he tries to kidnap her...again. She's had to have picked up at least ONE move, right?

If Hana can be a badass rear end kicker than theres no reason Haruka cant :colbert:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Gutcruncher posted:

If Hana can be a badass rear end kicker than theres no reason Haruka cant :colbert:

Like I said, I personally would love the hell out of it. I just get the feeling that if it were something the franchise were building up to, they'd have pulled the trigger already. Who knows, maybe if that modded video gets popular enough they'll consider it for Yakuza 6. I just won't hold my breath on the matter.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Playing through Yakuza 4 has made me remember how terrible a lot of the combat in these games are. Bosses simply tanking hits uninterrupted, frequent points where the enemy does nothing but grab you, enemies simply reading when you will attack and dodging making you whiff half a combo, and what seems to be new to me is them hitting you and leaving you dazed.

I think at this point, I have played through Yakuza 2-4 in spite of the combat instead of because of it. The story can be really interesting and the heat moves are fun to watch, but the boss fights are pretty drat terrible.

After playing through most of 4, I would have to say that I consider Yakuza 3 to be the black sheep of the series. It was easily the worst one I played and I remember playing through it that there was one chapter where the whole plot was pretty much explained in a text dump. I was kind of skeptical at first with Yakuza 4 since it was 4 different characters, but they managed to make them all interesting and pull it off. Plus I can feel that things are building to a head. In Yakuza 3, I made it to the final chapter not realizing that it was the final chapter.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

They probably thought players would see the amount of money required and go hard into gambling. Ishin has those "guaranteed win" gambling items doesn't it?

Man, the first time I got one of the "guaranteed win" gambling items in 4, I thought it would just make certain outcomes be favored if the item was in your inventory. I had the zero stone, so I go to the roulette table, put the max bet on 0, and bam, zero comes up, and that's a lot of chips.

On the next spin I saw the little use button and realized how you're supposed to use them. Man I got lucky on that game.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Man, the first time I got one of the "guaranteed win" gambling items in 4, I thought it would just make certain outcomes be favored if the item was in your inventory. I had the zero stone, so I go to the roulette table, put the max bet on 0, and bam, zero comes up, and that's a lot of chips.

On the next spin I saw the little use button and realized how you're supposed to use them. Man I got lucky on that game.

It turns out the real zero stone was inside you all along.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Holy poo poo, this Tanimura fight in the finale sums out pretty much everything that is wrong with the fighting system in Yakuza.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

Holy poo poo, this Tanimura fight in the finale sums out pretty much everything that is wrong with the fighting system in Yakuza.

Yeah, basically it is mandatory to do all the training quests to get the items that, when worn, make you immune to bullets and give it to Tanimura. Do that and you feel like a God in that fight, but you have to know about it beforehand or it's just loving impossible.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, basically it is mandatory to do all the training quests to get the items that, when worn, make you immune to bullets and give it to Tanimura. Do that and you feel like a God in that fight, but you have to know about it beforehand or it's just loving impossible.

Managed to beat it. Better than 3 by far. Not sure if I would put it above 2 though, but it is close.

Also, holy poo poo at the Hana stuff in the ending. It has only been about 2 or 3 weeks.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

Managed to beat it. Better than 3 by far. Not sure if I would put it above 2 though, but it is close.

Also, holy poo poo at the Hana stuff in the ending. It has only been about 2 or 3 weeks.

And then Dead Souls happens and she's back to her old ways.

And yeah, 4 is an amazing game, but it's not punching out a tiger good, sadly.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Crappy Jack posted:

And then Dead Souls happens and she's back to her old ways.

And yeah, 4 is an amazing game, but it's not punching out a tiger good, sadly.

How is Dead Souls? Is it worth getting?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

How is Dead Souls? Is it worth getting?

It got a lot of crap when it came out, but when I rented it a few months after release, it was enjoyable enough. The shooting is kinda mindless one the one hand. On the other hand, playable Majima in a zombie apocalypse. So long as you're not paying a full $60 for it, you'll have a good time.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

If you have to buy Dead Souls, please buy it for like dirt cheap. It's not a great game and it served mostly as Team YAKUZA getting the basics down for Binary Domain. Majima is the best thing about it though, he knows this is the only way he'll ever get to be playable and the game goes balls out crazy with his presentation.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I've regularly seen Dead Souls on the bargain rack at wal-mart or even grocery stores for $15, is it worth that much? I did like Binary Domain.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Captain Novolin posted:

I've regularly seen Dead Souls on the bargain rack at wal-mart or even grocery stores for $15, is it worth that much? I did like Binary Domain.

It's nowhere near as refined as Binary Domain just FYI but $15 is a decent price.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Dead Souls is the only Yakuza game I never 100% / got the platinum for. I liked it, but it's a worse hand mangler than MGS2. I hope you like holding L1 A LOT. It's the only way to make the camera not-poo poo most of the time. Then press R1 and R2 a whole bunch, too. My hands would be aching after an hour.

It's a neat sidestory and the setting and characters are fun, but after beating it I had no desire to do all the sidequests. $15 seems about right for it.

EDIT

It's also partly the reason we'll never see another Yakuza game outside of Japan. It bombed hard after Sega reluctantly decided to release it.

Static Rook fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 12, 2014

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Souls is fun enough for me personally, but dear god the framerate can get shocking in certain areas. I am almost always worried that the game isn going to freeze and blow up my console.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I finally finished Ishin. It's far from my favorite Yakuza game mechanics or story-wise but it's still a full-blown Yakuza game with all the trimmings, so it's hard to complain too much. I wonder what will come next for the series?

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Don't know, but I can drat well guarantee it won't reach the states! :smith:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I still don't get why they can't just offer an English subtitle option on the Japanese version, and let the rest of us import. Japanese kids could even use them to practice their English.

So dumb.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fuzz posted:

I still don't get why they can't just offer an English subtitle option on the Japanese version, and let the rest of us import. Japanese kids could even use them to practice their English.

So dumb.
I don't think you appreciate how difficult and time consuming translating a game like this is. It's not something you "just" do.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't think you appreciate how difficult and time consuming translating a game like this is. It's not something you "just" do.

Run the script through Google translate. Who cares if it's grammatically correct, we'll figure it out.

In fact, that might make it even more hilarious!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fuzz posted:

Run the script through Google translate. Who cares if it's grammatically correct, we'll figure it out.

That would not present a very professional image for the product.

Also, come to think of it, is Google okay with this kind of thing, using their software's translations for a big commercial project?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also, come to think of it, is Google okay with this kind of thing, using their software's translations for a big commercial project?

Dunno about using the results, but they have a commercial use API.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Sony Asia actually did this with the English/Chinese release of Aquanaut's Holiday: Hidden Memories on PS3. They ran the entire script through Google Translate and it resulted in a game that's barely comprehensible. "Internet seaslug" and "What you say!?" are some of my fondest memories of that game, but it is by no means easy to understand or elegant. I had to look up Japanese walkthroughs because the directions the game gives you can sometimes be utterly impossible to decipher so you're left trying to figure out exactly what to do and where to go. The only thing more ridiculous than the translation is the fact that it now costs $200 to buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I wonder if it takes more man-hours to translate a game from scratch or to go through a machine translation and make it not horrible...

• Locked thread