Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Captain Bravo posted:

Huh, does that mean that magical flight would be impossible as well? If it's simply an issue of how far away from the ground you are, that would imply that any pymary you take a few hundred feet off the earth would begin to fail, right?

More like a magical light levitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

Captain Bravo posted:

Huh, does that mean that magical flight would be impossible as well? If it's simply an issue of how far away from the ground you are, that would imply that any pymary you take a few hundred feet off the earth would begin to fail, right?

Well, the khert lines do extend some distance into the air (the big vliegeng dragons in Alderode use khert lines to fly), but yeah, the word of god is that after far enough, there's just no khert to use. Rahm's life goal is perfecting flight via pymary, so he'll probably end up talking about it at some point.

The word of the author on this is that the deeper you go into the earth, the thicker and more stable the khert lines are; the farther away from it, the thinner and more unreliable they are, until they fade out completely.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Bad Seafood posted:

Either or.

I dunno, just feels a step removed from "Bad guy licks the blade of his knife to show he's twisted," so on some level I wanna feel like there's at least a little bit more to it than that. It's fine if there isn't though.

Based on his expression, I'd say you're right. He doesn't seem particularly gleeful about it.

Captain Bravo posted:

Yes. I believe Ashley has said that it's really about how far you are from the ground of Kasslyne, too, so even if you were to walk along the bottom of the ocean somehow the khert would still run out as you got further away from it.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Well there's always first materials, if you enchanted them up to reverse gravity and then hung a bunch of poo poo on them that would work.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I try so hard to make sense of this comic but it's beautifully drawn visual gibberish. I like stuff that challenges the viewer but I'm not really up to the challenge in this case :smith:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Flesh Forge posted:

I try so hard to make sense of this comic but it's beautifully drawn visual gibberish. I like stuff that challenges the viewer but I'm not really up to the challenge in this case :smith:

?

Last chapter was bad, but this one's seemed pretty okay to me so far, with one exception. What's giving you trouble?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Yeah I was reviewing last chapter, these new pages are pretty straightforward.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Thankfully, silver zombies don't seem to retain personality. Besides, it's time for a new story arc, our role of repulsive shitheel everyone hates will probably be taken over by Murkoph.

Thus becoming a repulsive shitheel that everyone hates...?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Truth hurts, so turn your back on it. Mathis Quigley is the last person around anyone should allow to act self-righteous."

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh no, Toma.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
casualvillain.com just generated an interesting error for me:

Database Error
User adelier already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A.o.D. posted:

casualvillain.com just generated an interesting error for me:

Database Error
User adelier already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections

Glad it's not murkoph. :v:

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Yay, the dog is okay!

rip toma tho

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

EgoEgress posted:

Yay, the dog is okay!

rip toma tho

he's gonna make it! he's gonna be ok!!!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Refugees are not welcome.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Neat seeing how glamour perception works.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

All it takes is two observers comparing notes to ruin an effective glamour.

Meanwhile, the other Black Tongue on the scene, Erlock Shomles, hasn't been discovered because he'd done the boring thing and put on some makeup and a fake nose.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

All it takes is two observers comparing notes to ruin an effective glamour.

Meanwhile, the other Black Tongue on the scene, Erlock Shomles, hasn't been discovered because he'd done the boring thing and put on some makeup and a fake nose.

Can't wait for Winallis to walk around in blackface to blend in.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'm glad that girl is apparently fine, she was cool earlier.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

of course he's naked under the thing

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm glad that girl is apparently fine, she was cool earlier.

Oh, it's her. Glad she survived, yeah; between getting stabbed by Starfish and then the underground collapsing I wasn't giving her good odds of survival.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Interesting to see Winalis doing something unambiguously good during his introduction, too.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

Darth Walrus posted:

Interesting to see Winalis doing something unambiguously good during his introduction, too.

I recall Winalis was noted for doing a lot of medical work with the plague too. It actually took me a bit to realize it was him with the needle and thread while patching up the Crescian double-crosser, largely because it was the only time he looked haggard as opposed to exceptionally fancy.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

of course he's naked under the thing

It's come up on Ashley's Q&A thing. He's obligated to teleport mostly naked - he can bring along one pymaric (possibly because it's involved in the teleportation; she won't explain how he does that using pymary in the first place). He stuffs it full of visible aspects so that he can use it to create the appearance of clothes, but he ends up having to spend a lot of time naked if he wants to travel places quickly.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

His introduction was technically him sewing up the girl in that sewer-abattoir in preparation for the silver transfusion. "Death is the gods' crime," etc etc.

Winalils seems to take the preservation of life really seriously. No wonder he's interested in Duane.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 15, 2016

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Actually, his introduction was saving a little girl from the plague in Fachlyne.

She ran off from where he left her, and got picked up by the Red Berry Boys afterward. (He might still have been involved in that, but we don't know.)

When Duane finds her in the cave after Cutter's done half his work on her (he was interrupted before the actual silver implantation), she thinks he's Bastion, and that's when we find out what he said to her.

And then, of course, we see him again in a flashback. This is the first time we see his face, and he gives Sette a certain object:

Later, we find out how he acquired Elan's cooperation:

And then, of course, we find out that he's the source of Timofey and his poetic disposition:

Bastion's been hanging around the story for a while. Just not IN it, per se.

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 15, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

I wouldn't characterize it as unambiguously good, he's almost certainly employing untested magical techniques that he devised. The fact that his spirit-minion calls him on the lie that he's only trying to undo the damage done earlier suggests that any good he accomplishes is just a happy coincidence.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 15, 2016

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
I just assume he's doing the mad sciencey, regrettable-but-necessary-body-count, "greater good" kind of good. You can't make an omelette without partnering with a deranged, pain-obsessed, grudge-bearing lizard magus, sort of thing.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Great bedside manner, though!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

That was a really sweet comic.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
That was sweet, but I feel like somebody's hiding something here. And the one hiding might not even be either.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kyte posted:

That was sweet, but I feel like somebody's hiding something here. And the one hiding might not even be either.

We'll uncover the truth in this garden of secrets together.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Duane going into full Dad mode is adorable.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so, sette's hand is glowing all portlike too

surprised her nose isn't lit up like rudolph though

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Well, the khert lines are always there, Duane's just made them visible.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
No Duane it's clearly not a rodent tail. If you can't handle it being a lion tail you should go with donkey.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

reignonyourparade posted:

No Duane it's clearly not a rodent tail. If you can't handle it being a lion tail you should go with donkey.

There are some rodents with a tail kinda like that.

Like the adorable jerboa.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Duane, on his trip to the khert: some of it was... agreeable. is that what they call it these days?

(here's where he got the info he's recapping on this page, btw.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
This whole conversation has been amazing.