Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

We had to put Chevy down yesterday (we're still not sure from what, the E-Vet said either cancer or a viral infection; he went from fine to completely limp in his back legs and neck and in a lot of pain within 48 hours) and it sucks and I miss my dog and you should all pat your dogs even though they are weird stilt-dogs that look like a child's drawing of a dog come to life.

Oh, that's awful news! :( How old was he, in the end? (Doesn't make it better regardless of how old he is, really - I just hope he was able to lead a long life alongside you)
I'll make sure to give Tazo a belly rub when I get home. It's always terrible when a dog/family member dies, so I really feel for you, there. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Major Isoor posted:

Oh, that's awful news! :( How old was he, in the end? (Doesn't make it better regardless of how old he is, really - I just hope he was able to lead a long life alongside you)
I'll make sure to give Tazo a belly rub when I get home. It's always terrible when a dog/family member dies, so I really feel for you, there. :(

11, after 3 years or racing and a year or two with a foster, so we had him for a while, but it still really sucks

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Man, I'm really sorry to hear that :/

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

gently caress dude, I’m sorry to hear that :(

Chevy looked like a real good doggo. Seems like you gave him a long and happy retirement

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Tree Goat posted:

We had to put Chevy down yesterday (we're still not sure from what, the E-Vet said either cancer or a viral infection; he went from fine to completely limp in his back legs and neck and in a lot of pain within 48 hours) and it sucks and I miss my dog and you should all pat your dogs even though they are weird stilt-dogs that look like a child's drawing of a dog come to life.

Ugh a couple of weeks late but I'm so sorry to hear about Chevy. :(

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I hope you all (and your greys!) are having a good Christmas! I've taken Tazo down to the beach with the family (first time he's been) and he's been having a lot of fun!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Major Isoor posted:

I hope you all (and your greys!) are having a good Christmas! I've taken Tazo down to the beach with the family (first time he's been) and he's been having a lot of fun!

How’s Tazo done with the sand and water and people? We thought about bringing Spartacus but we didn’t know if the wide open shoreline would be too tempting for a flight risk

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bonnie wishes you all a, um...

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

How’s Tazo done with the sand and water and people? We thought about bringing Spartacus but we didn’t know if the wide open shoreline would be too tempting for a flight risk

He was pretty good with all the people, etc. - wasn't overly keen on the water, though. However he DEFINITELY wanted a long run/sprint though, (I didn't let him off though, as it's forbidden during this holiday period) so Sparty might be the same, on that aspect.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Oh god I’m so sorry about Chevy. I’ve been cuddling my dingus extra hard for him, even though Spartacus doesn’t deserve it after chewing up an entire box of ziplock bags for :reasons:

Merry Christmas everyone!

it’s a white(-ish) one here

And it’s a time for family and friendship, hopefully you can spend it with loved ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdrGkFGPeTw

...or at least people you can sorta tolerate, I guess.

The dogs are cuddled close on the couch with care

Sparty makes due on his own if he has to

...it makes him sad though. He sometimes insists on cuddling with us and will whine until he can sit where we’re sitting.

Including the bed...

We still love him though. He’s got grey in his muzzle now :(

Compare to earlier:

Here’s looking back on some highlights from the past year

(Peep those pupper peepers under the blanket)

(Can you see the squished Cookie?)

Happy holidays everyone! Smile for the camera!

:froggonk:

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 26, 2017

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I know what you mean about the gray muzzle, Abby will be ten next month and her muzzle is pretty much completely white. Basically what "Bonnie" looks like a few posts up.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Both Wren and Idunn went a bit white in the muzzle after about a year of bringing them home. (Though I wouldn't be surprised if a year with Idunn made Wren go even more grey :v:)
And they're really young, I guess it's just a thing that happens.

But here are my pups enjoying their Xmas ducks.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Yeah, Sparty is going to be 4 in January so he's still really young, just a weird thing I guess.

wyoming posted:

Both Wren and Idunn went a bit white in the muzzle after about a year of bringing them home. (Though I wouldn't be surprised if a year with Idunn made Wren go even more grey :v:)
And they're really young, I guess it's just a thing that happens.

But here are my pups enjoying their Xmas ducks.

Do they quack? Spartacus loves the chew toys that quack :kimchi:

Edit: oh god fixed the screwed up video. Phone posting is tough

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 26, 2017

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Younger sibling, older sibling.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Tess loves blankets, Round 2:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

windchills of -30 = greyhound with cabin fever

she won't do the booties, I put them on but the way she fuddles around with them it looks like she's going to step funny and hurt her leg. I use musher's secret which seems to help but doesn't last very long.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
:toot: :burger:
https://twitter.com/forgzample/status/948382516691349510

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Crosspost from the PYF dog pictures thread: https://twitter.com/Jay_Moschella/status/949426446681993216/video/1

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Fun video of a greyhound rescue in California. Lots of goofy stilt dogs in this one

https://vimeo.com/175734648?ref=em-share

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Oh my gosh thank you for both those videos, laughed so hard at formula one dog and got all the feels from the adoption one.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Happy Sparty day (yesterday) :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2WksoOlEF0

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Aww logdogs get hotdogs!

Why do they eat the bread first :argh:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Oh, happy birthday Sparty! :toot:

Also, not sure if I'm the only one experiencing this or not...have any of you had issues with sending your long doggos outside to bed, at night? Since I've noticed that lately Tazo has been VERY reluctant. Like, he understands and happily follows my instructions throughout the day and evening, however once it goes dark and I say "come on!" he INSTANTLY plays dumb or pretends not to hear me. (I use the phrase "come on" in a lot of situations, like to follow/heel, get out of bed, get into the car, etc. without issue) Occasionally going so far as to flop down on his side, if he had been sitting sphinx-like! :D

I mean, I certainly don't blame him for trying as I'd much rather stay indoors too, so it is a little amusing, but yeah - seeing as he had been living the high-life by staying inside at night during the (Australian) winter, he seems to want to keep a good thing going, haha (especially since prior to that he had been happily sleeping outside during our summer, as he hadn't spent a full winter with me yet)
Pretty odd too, considering I'm only sending him out on nights where it's TOO warm inside!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
He’s probably getting attached to you :kimchi:

Sparty was content to sleep on a dog bed on the floor or rest on the chair near us, but as time has gone on he’s become more and more affectionate and attached. Now he has to be on the couch with us most of the time, and at night sleeps in the bed with us because otherwise he wakes up lonely in the middle of the night :ninja:

He’s totally playing dumb, is what I’m saying, and it’s up to you if you want to let it work on you like we did.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

He’s probably getting attached to you :kimchi:

Sparty was content to sleep on a dog bed on the floor or rest on the chair near us, but as time has gone on he’s become more and more affectionate and attached. Now he has to be on the couch with us most of the time, and at night sleeps in the bed with us because otherwise he wakes up lonely in the middle of the night :ninja:

He’s totally playing dumb, is what I’m saying, and it’s up to you if you want to let it work on you like we did.

Heh, well I suppose I hadn't thought of it that way - makes sense, though. Since sometime around winter he seems to have gotten increasingly keen on staying in the same room as me (unless he's snoozing and I only leave the room for a short time) so I suppose it makes sense that I'd only really start noticing his hesitation towards being taken outside now after it's gotten warm, as before I'd just let him sleep inside.

...and well, I think we all know that I'm just gonna wind up letting him stay inside every night sooner or later, with those big puppy-dog eyes of his! :D That little rascal's just too funny, when he raises his head and pulls his "who, me??" routine before getting himself comfy again, haha

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yesterday was Abby's 10th birthday!

The pre-party pig ear

Ice cream

The "cake" bone

Several moments later...

My friend's half-chowchow Sputnik who also attended. She kept playing with my toys, unlike a certain dog who ignores them...

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Happy Abby day! :toot:

I’ve had no luck with the cake bones, the dogs look confused and we have to break it up for them and give little pieces :confuoot:

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
wtf
https://twitter.com/DickKingSmith/status/953260889578360832

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

even having owned two im still not sure if long doggos are real

cardigans4life
Mar 13, 2016
Anyone have thoughts about grain free food and it's relationship to anxiety? I've been thinking about switching from Purina Pro Plan Chicken and arrive to the Kirkland grain-free kibble as I've heard from a few people that they've felt like their pup's anxiety has been better off grain/gluten. I generally don't subscribe to the whole "gluten is the root of all evil" but I would do just about anything at this point to alleviate some of our boy's issues. He's been to a behaviorist and is currently on Prozac twice a day if that gives you an idea of our progression...

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby has a new living room bed as the old one was getting pretty gross.

Anyway, anyone else have a greyhound that goes nuts over bananas? Everytime she hears that distinct sound of opening a banana peel she rushes over and basically chatters her teeth indefinitely, staring at it nonstop. Needless to say she always ends up getting a piece or two of it because I feel guilty. Plus a dog chewing a banana is pretty hilarious given the contrast in teeth sharpness and banana softness.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

St Evan Echoes posted:

even having owned two im still not sure if long doggos are real

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

actionjackson posted:

Abby has a new living room bed as the old one was getting pretty gross.

Anyway, anyone else have a greyhound that goes nuts over bananas? Everytime she hears that distinct sound of opening a banana peel she rushes over and basically chatters her teeth indefinitely, staring at it nonstop. Needless to say she always ends up getting a piece or two of it because I feel guilty. Plus a dog chewing a banana is pretty hilarious given the contrast in teeth sharpness and banana softness.

Josie loves fruits and veg. Banana is one I haven’t tried actually, it’s not something I usually eat myself. I’m sure she’d love it though. The only ones she doesn’t seem to like are green beans and ummm I forget. She’ll eat sprouts, mushrooms, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, cooked potato and sweet potato and beetroot, cherry tomatoes, etc... she once nipped a whole apple off the counter and ran off with it to her bed to eat it (she did not get to). It’s at the point where my friends like to come over just to feed her vegetables.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

skoolmunkee posted:

Josie loves fruits and veg. Banana is one I haven’t tried actually, it’s not something I usually eat myself. I’m sure she’d love it though. The only ones she doesn’t seem to like are green beans and ummm I forget. She’ll eat sprouts, mushrooms, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, cooked potato and sweet potato and beetroot, cherry tomatoes, etc... she once nipped a whole apple off the counter and ran off with it to her bed to eat it (she did not get to). It’s at the point where my friends like to come over just to feed her vegetables.

For being a bossy glutton Spartacus is surprisingly picky. He doesn’t like chips and he sometimes spits out the harder dog treats, and veggies are usually a no-go unless they’ve been cooked with sauce.

He will sing the song of his people incessantly at you once it’s even close to dinner time though, he will raid anything the least bit edible (and tear up any plastic bag in reach in search of same), and we were warned not to free feed him because he would probably kill himself from bloat.

Funny story, he was doing his usual howling for dinner an hour early, and I told him No. He flopped to the floor (I make him lay down and wait before feeding) and howled again. I yelled NO! and then he howled very softly after that, cheeks puffing each time :3:

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hey I know them! Haha poor Sting. He also is a therapy dog at some hospitals.

Apparently that picture went viral and now Sting has a lot of people looking to read to him

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 10, 2018

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

A happy ending for a Good Boy

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

He looks so sad that nobody is reading to him :3:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

But greyhounds look like that 99% of the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

actionjackson posted:

But greyhounds look like that 99% of the time

Yeah! jokes on them greyhounds always look that way. Going to be pretty disappointed.

Brb going to post a patreon for my "sick" dogs.