Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Meanwhile, the new one that released officially today, Nitrate City, is a period noir story about movie monster cops and gangsters with a Frankenstein's monster looking dude on the cover, and since I'm a sucker for a good "No, he's a literal Made Man" joke, it's so far up my alley that it's set up shop and is lurking in the fire door entrance to the suspicious restaurant behind the dumpster.

What're the subsystems like? The puns Very Bad in a way worth appreciating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
It's a FAE variant; the main new thing that I'm seeing is "Cinematic Approaches". Instead of Flashy/Sneaky etc, your approaches are Action, Comedy, Drama, Horror. (One of the examples of defending with horror is "You pass out before you tell your interrogator what they want to know.")

It also has a random generation for combining a Universal monster with a film noir archetype to make a high concept.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

As an Angeleno, I think it's funny that their areas are "Old Hollywood" (all of urban LA) and the other places. It's like defining New York as "The Boroughs, Jersey, and The Statue of Happiness."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
How do GMs handle their fate points? When is it good to use and when is it dragging things out or stealing victory from the player?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Covok posted:

How do GMs handle their fate points? When is it good to use and when is it dragging things out or stealing victory from the player?

GM Fate Points restock every scene, and I believe the GM also gets the bonus tokens from having NPCs concede conflicts, and things like that. The GM should pretty much be gobbling their Fate Tokens like candy. Personally, I usually toss them in to make sure that at least one Very Dangerous thing has a likelihood of occurring. Like, an enemy character was going to score a hit anyway, so I toss a Fate Token at an appropriate Aspect to make them hit extra hard, and that way force the PCs to make decisions about whether to ante up and defend, or concede, or just take a Consequence and roll with it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

deadly_pudding posted:

GM Fate Points restock every scene, and I believe the GM also gets the bonus tokens from having NPCs concede conflicts, and things like that. The GM should pretty much be gobbling their Fate Tokens like candy. Personally, I usually toss them in to make sure that at least one Very Dangerous thing has a likelihood of occurring. Like, an enemy character was going to score a hit anyway, so I toss a Fate Token at an appropriate Aspect to make them hit extra hard, and that way force the PCs to make decisions about whether to ante up and defend, or concede, or just take a Consequence and roll with it.

When it comes to giving NPCs stunts, do you spend FPs to give stunts in the moment or do the FP come out of my budget for the scene if I pre-assigned them stunts?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Covok posted:

When it comes to giving NPCs stunts, do you spend FPs to give stunts in the moment or do the FP come out of my budget for the scene if I pre-assigned them stunts?

Just give'em cool stunts. But if the stunt has a trigger like "When you spend a fate point...", you still pay it.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Hey guys,

Been into tabletop games for about 6 years but only recently started exploring the RPG end of the hobby. My only experience so far is a few hours of D&D 5th edition over skype. It's not been my bag, since it seems really focused on combat and exploration. While I'm more interested in the player interactions and improv stories that it sometimes helps get out.

That's a lot of words to get to... I was recommended to look over this system and then I noticed it's got a Dresden Files module. How good is that? Would it be hard for a first time GM to run a game of it? My buds and I love those books so I thought it'd be cool to set it up and give it a shot.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 8, 2016

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Texibus posted:

I was recommended to look over this system and then I noticed it's got a Dresden Files module. How good is that? Would it be hard for a first time GM to run a game of it? My buds and I love those books so I thought it'd be cool to set it up and give it a shot.

The Dresden Files module is really solid. You guys love the books so it'll be perfect for you. Mechanically it's a little iffy in a few places (Evocation and Thaumaturgy are particularly powerful, so you may want to limit Wizards) but otherwise it completely good and playable start into the Fate system.

One house-rule bit that may be of interest to you is something that came up in Atomic Robo: Collateral Damage consequences. Instead of taking the hit directly (or if a spell goes haywire) you can instead choose to Set The Building On Fire (But It's Not Your Fault) and have all the juicy plot shenanigans of that. Mechanically it's just a Mild, Moderate, and Severe Consequence that any player can use as if it were one of their own consequences, but directly affects the scene rather than the character.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Thanks! Now I've just got to figure out how to pull this GM bit off.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Soooo, do i just by the Dresden Files RPG books our world and your story only or do I need to pick up Fatecore books as well?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Krysmphoenix posted:

The Dresden Files module is really solid. You guys love the books so it'll be perfect for you. Mechanically it's a little iffy in a few places (Evocation and Thaumaturgy are particularly powerful, so you may want to limit Wizards) but otherwise it completely good and playable start into the Fate system.

One house-rule bit that may be of interest to you is something that came up in Atomic Robo: Collateral Damage consequences. Instead of taking the hit directly (or if a spell goes haywire) you can instead choose to Set The Building On Fire (But It's Not Your Fault) and have all the juicy plot shenanigans of that. Mechanically it's just a Mild, Moderate, and Severe Consequence that any player can use as if it were one of their own consequences, but directly affects the scene rather than the character.

I ran a Dresden Files game and totally agree. Everything is more or less good except Wizards who are overly complicated and broken because of their special mechanics. Magical crafting is the most broken thing in the game. My fix would be to combine conviction and discipline into Will and let wizards take a stunt (2 fp) to attack and defend with Will if they have a magical tool. Elemental preferences and the power/control dichotomy can be baked into aspects/additional stunts. Then they can have another stunt that gives Thaumaturgy. Maybe something like "Because I am a Wizard, for one Fate Point I can perform a ritual for one of the Thaumaturgical effects" the various limitations and requirements for Thaumaturgy can be handled as aspects with invokes/compels. "You need some of its hair for this ritual, if you go out and get it first you get a fate point, if you want to have some in your pocket from earlier you have to spend another fate point."

As a bonus it's a beautiful book that's fun to read.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Texibus posted:

Soooo, do i just by the Dresden Files RPG books our world and your story only or do I need to pick up Fatecore books as well?

Fate Core is actually newer than Dresden Files, IIRC. Dresden is based on a slightly older build of Fate, but it still works fine. It's got a lot of modification for like the more specific focus on magic and stuff.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Fate Core is a slightly different ruleset, everything you need for Dresden is in the Dresden books.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Kind of a bummer that Fate Accelerated version of dresden files isn't finished yet, that be great for a newb like me.

Anyway you're welcome Evil Hate, you just got a bunch of dough from me.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
If Dresden Accelerated is gonna be anything like regular Fate Accelerated, it'll be dirt cheap to acquire when it comes out anyway

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

jivjov posted:

If Dresden Accelerated is gonna be anything like regular Fate Accelerated, it'll be dirt cheap to acquire when it comes out anyway

There's certainly going to be licensing fees. Butcher's no slouch and Hicks is his buddy. Just look at the price hike on the Dresden-branded Fate Dice. They were like $2 more than the others.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Blasphemeral posted:

There's certainly going to be licensing fees. Butcher's no slouch and Hicks is his buddy. Just look at the price hike on the Dresden-branded Fate Dice. They were like $2 more than the others.

Yeah, with regular FAE being $5, I expect Dresden Accelerated to be $7-$10

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

jivjov posted:

Yeah, with regular FAE being $5, I expect Dresden Accelerated to be $7-$10

FAE is $5 because it's designed as an entry-level pamphlet-style book that is being printed at-cost to get people interested in FATE as a "brand." It seems unlikely that a full game licensing a popular literary universe is going to be $7-10 just because it happens to use FAE.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lemon-Lime posted:

FAE is $5 because it's designed as an entry-level pamphlet-style book that is being printed at-cost to get people interested in FATE as a "brand." It seems unlikely that a full game licensing a popular literary universe is going to be $7-10 just because it happens to use FAE.

Oh; I thought Dresden Acclerated was going to be similarly pamphlet-sized and priced low.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Texibus posted:

You'll also want to get The Paranet Papers, which updates the rules to the latest edition of Fate.

You don't need a book if you want to reference the Fate Core rules, though, they're available at http://www.fate-srd.com

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

jivjov posted:

Oh; I thought Dresden Acclerated was going to be similarly pamphlet-sized and priced low.

AFAIK they haven't said anything more about its projected size since they announced it in 2014 and said "we figure we’re looking at a 160-240 page 6"x9" full color softcover." For reference, FAE is 50 pages, and Core is 300.

The point is that FAE was sold at-cost to get people to get in to Fate, and DF:AE is unlikely to be sold at cost (even if it did, that cost will be a lot more expensive).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lemon-Lime posted:

AFAIK they haven't said anything more about its projected size since they announced it in 2014 and said "we figure we’re looking at a 160-240 page 6"x9" full color softcover." For reference, FAE is 50 pages, and Core is 300.

The point is that FAE was sold at-cost to get people to get in to Fate, and DF:AE is unlikely to be sold at cost (even if it did, that cost will be a lot more expensive).

Looks like I just haven't been paying a whole lot of attention then!

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Is there something supplemental I can use and not throw them 45 more dollars?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Texibus posted:

Is there something supplemental I can use and not throw them 45 more dollars?

I'd say just run Dresden using the iteration of Fate in the Your Story book; it still plays fine.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Yeah, 80 bucks was on the steep end for giving it a shot. Maybe after we see how this goes over I'll give them a few more bones.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Their stand-alone FAE game "Young Centurions" has an MSRP of $20, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the price point for Dresden Accelerated too. But it's also longer (~160 pages) and in full-color, which is what I'd expect for Dresden as well.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

jivjov posted:

I'd say just run Dresden using the iteration of Fate in the Your Story book; it still plays fine.

Actually, nevermind. I had a look at the book again and it's really more character and setting updates that it is mechanics updates.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Anyone know where I can read up on the legal rules for submitting an entry to Evil Hat's Worlds of Fate?

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Welp, quick update. Got my books Saturday for the Dresden Files RPG and dove in yesterday with about 70 pages behind me in the first Volume. Pretty happy so far with the way they're presenting the material, has some great humor and lends itself to the dresden files theme very well. Buuut woooow is it long.

Quick question: Is the Baltimore scenario included with volume one a good way to get mine and my groups feet wet?

I'm really looking forward to creating our own city though. Our hometown is Detroit, which I think is perfect as a backdrop. Soooo many themes and ideas are developing while reading through the book, really pumped.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Texibus posted:

Quick question: Is the Baltimore scenario included with volume one a good way to get mine and my groups feet wet?
Yeah, it's fine enough to work with if your group isn't ready for the create-your-own-setting stuff. I do recommend letting them make a city themselves, because it's a lot of fun and really encourages player buy-in.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Do you think we should just skip that then and dive in? We've never done anything like this and I'm worried about overwhelming them, but I agree creating the city seems amazing for the reason you described.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'd say if your group is new to Fate, skip it for now, maybe do an unofficial "preseason" Baltimore session or two so they get a feel for how things like aspects work. Then once they get a handle on things, go for the city building.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Texibus posted:

Welp, quick update. Got my books Saturday for the Dresden Files RPG and dove in yesterday with about 70 pages behind me in the first Volume. Pretty happy so far with the way they're presenting the material, has some great humor and lends itself to the dresden files theme very well. Buuut woooow is it long.

I'm really looking forward to creating our own city though. Our hometown is Detroit, which I think is perfect as a backdrop. Soooo many themes and ideas are developing while reading through the book, really pumped.

Oh hey D buddy.

:buddy: :respek: :buddy:

Are you in downtown or the 'burbs? I'm along the Telegraph corridor.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I'm in the ole suburbs. 9 and schoenerr in Warren.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Is it ok to ask about Dresden Files RPG poo poo here, or...not?

I have a game that actually has a few weeks of break and I'm having trouble sort of reconciling "rear end in a top hat Player Personalities " with "well my CHARACTER is just that way"

I'm not even the GM, but it's a military-centric campaign, and the other players have gone off the rails with "well we are now ~magic people~ so your authority is no longer recognized because White Council etc" despite crumbling and weeping every time a full bird comes around

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Well... I've been asking because I'm about to try it out for the first time and getting answers . So it seems people who are familiar with it are checking on the thread.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
DFRPG is Fate, anyone complaining about people discussing it in the Fate thread would be pretty dumb. :v:

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Is it ok to ask about Dresden Files RPG poo poo here, or...not?

I have a game that actually has a few weeks of break and I'm having trouble sort of reconciling "rear end in a top hat Player Personalities " with "well my CHARACTER is just that way"

I'm not even the GM, but it's a military-centric campaign, and the other players have gone off the rails with "well we are now ~magic people~ so your authority is no longer recognized because White Council etc" despite crumbling and weeping every time a full bird comes around

You're probably going to need to provide more context here...but generally speaking, there are levels of "being an rear end in a top hat character". The difference is usually when a good player is running an rear end in a top hat character they will usually make an effort to find or create a reason for their character to reluctantly take part in the game everyone else is. A good player with a lone-wolf wolverine knock-off may give the team leader the finger and talk about how he doesn't need to hang around a bunch of whiny pansies...but he'll stick around for now because villain X killed their dog or they promised PC Y's dad to make sure he got home okay and he'll be damned if he lets the rest of you morons get him killed.

An rear end in a top hat player with an rear end in a top hat PC will use the PC's personality as an excuse to derail the plot, focus more screen time exclusively on their character or start pointless fights with other PCs.

Basically, the difference is that a player needs to be aware that they are playing a group game and should make sure that, no matter how dickish their character is, there should be enough "levers" built in to ensure that they can manipulate their PC into taking part in the game everyone else is playing without breaking character.

As far as your stuff about military vs. the white council...I don't know exactly what you're saying is happening there...certainly loyalty to the white council would be more important than loyalty to a military authority but like I said, I've got no real context to what exactly you're saying is happening. If you're trying to pull rank on a group of fellow PCs then you may be the rear end in a top hat player in this equation, but like I said, context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Is anybody here familiar enough with fate and cortex+ to give me a quick and dirty way to convert one to the other? I'm running Firefly in Fate: Core and I'm trying to use the cortex adventures. Turning Distinctions into aspects is simple enough, but what about attributes and skills? I'm a little afraid of making all the NPCs flat out better than the PCs if i just pull some ratio out of my rear end and copy/paste new numbers over the statblocks.