Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Triticum Guzzler posted:

There's a very healthy scene in the north, there's usually a few shows a year on at whatever the Reebok stadium is called now in Bolton. Yokkao run events pretty frequently, Tetsuya Yamato (the guy who just lost to Noiri) was over here a couple of years ago and got absolutely loving robbed against Liam Harrison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l84SbiATpFo

They have a bit of a range of shows, so they're not always big world class affairs, but their shows in conjunction with Super Showdown are usually good stuff. The next one of those isn't until late in the year. The next Yokkao card is in Southampton next month but it's one of the more grass roots shows. They've got Manachai signed to their gym, and he's headlining. He's in the Lumpinee rankings so I assume he's good but I don't think I've actually watched him fight since they announced his signing a few years ago.

Isn't the guy who used to commentate for Its Showtime kickboxing pretty heavily involved in that stuff? I vaguely remember his name circulating after the Glory buy out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

coconono posted:

Isn't the guy who used to commentate for Its Showtime kickboxing pretty heavily involved in that stuff? I vaguely remember his name circulating after the Glory buy out.

Yeah, Vinny Shoreman the NLP weirdo. The other guy Kieran Keddle went on to have his own muay thai promotion too but I think it's dead now

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Ghita is coming back?!
The world is ok sometimes.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
jesus is ghita still capable of fighting? i thought he was kind of in the twilight of his career when he went on hiatus.

it's cool that takeru still looks great and is still winning well because it continues to allow the prospect of a tenshin match to be something to talk about at the water cooler with that one guy at work who likes kickboxing too. i hope tenshin is glory hungry enough to cut through the politics and fight him.

i wish kickboxing was able to be followed by normal people because between it and boxing it could fill the void in my life where mma used to be.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Lord only knows where Ghita's at right now. It's heavyweight so he could come back and slot right in, but probably in the middle of the pack like Badr. Tavares is a decent fighter and he's a decade younger than Ghita. It could be good depending on whether Ghita is still an athlete or just a full time Vlad the Impaler worshipping mosque protester.

Takeru would fight Tenshin tomorrow, but he's already in his third weight class. The overarching goal of his career is basically to bring kickboxing back to the mainstream. He's been really vocal about it and nobody gave a poo poo when he was just a Krush guy, because he was in a weight class that nobody cared about and wasn't an insane prodigy like Tenshin, but he's constantly kicked at the door and managed to snake his way into a talent agency when nobody knew who he was and make appearances on variety shows and multiple appearances on Ninja Warrior just to promote kickboxing. In his post fight speech he said what he wants is to bring K-1 back to prime time TV. To that end K-1 have had talks with TV Tokyo (Sengoku's former broadcaster, mostly pay to play) and TBS (who used to air MAX). I think he can do it but it might take a few more years.

I honestly think the real 55kg match to make is Tenshin vs Takei because he's actually at the weight class and he's a match Tenshin on a technical level. He's quiet right now but the way he destroys people will eventually get him a following.

K-1 posted their Knock Down Fight video, which is just an edited video of all the knockdowns on a show that they post after events. It's long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc-9dyiKO7g

Glory are planning a reality TV show which isn't going to be a TUF ripoff, so that might make it easier to get into for normal people in America. But right now the big thing is that kickboxing has its own yearly big show again and isn't just getting the kids table at NYE, K'Festa could be the start of a proper comeback.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Oh and I almost forgot, Mohan Dragon never opened that curry stand with his winnings, but he has opened a tapas bar https://marisco.owst.jp/en/

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Oh and I almost forgot, Mohan Dragon never opened that curry stand with his winnings, but he has opened a tapas bar https://marisco.owst.jp/en/

He looks happy.

Seriously agree about takei and tenshin. Is there similar hurdles politically for that match up or is it actually possible?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Marching Powder posted:

He looks happy.

Seriously agree about takei and tenshin. Is there similar hurdles politically for that match up or is it actually possible?

It's theoretically more possible because Takei isn't the face of the company so there's less to lose if he loses, but K-1's restrictive contracts are why they couldn't get a high profile talent like Tenshin in the first place. They allow people to fight outside of their contracts with their approval, but they have a one year exclusivity clause which renews every time you fight, which is loving trash and means you can't leave the company without sitting out for a year. Try Hard gym have a lawyer challenging that right now and hopefully they're successful.

The same political bullshit is in the way, but Tenshin is forcing Rizin's hand to do more kickboxing stuff and I don't think they can reasonably satisfy him, which is why he still takes fights in Knock Out and RISE. He's good friends with Ren Hiramoto (they play yugioh together, these loving impish ko machines play yugioh) and was tweeting during the show about how excited he was.

Within a few years K-1 is probably going to be back on TV (the Abema stream peaked at 3.1 million viewers, the back stage stream at 1.3 million), Takeru's 7 years older and 2 weight classes heavier now, but Takei is only 2 years older. He's still going to be around when Rizin implodes or Tenshin gets fed up of fighting domestic can #69 or Ian McCall with one hand tied behind his back or whatever. I don't think the fight is imminent, but I think it's the one that outlasts the barriers.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

That one year recurring exclusivity clause is right up there in terms of bullshit contract clauses.

I wish kickboxing had its Dana White backed by a billionaire's money to just make the kickboxing promotion. As hosed up and shady as the UFC was and is, I forget what a loving privilege it is to watch the two best guys at or around the same weight division fight each other.

I'd watch tenshin and ren play yugioh on twitch or w/e

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Marching Powder posted:

I wish kickboxing had its Dana White backed by a billionaire's money to just make the kickboxing promotion. As hosed up and shady as the UFC was and is, I forget what a loving privilege it is to watch the two best guys at or around the same weight division fight each other.

Man I thought Pierre Andurrand was gonna be that guy, but ultimately nobody wants to lose money forever and Glory seriously scaled back. They just made Marshall Zelaznik the former UFC guy their CEO and I think he's got the right ideas. I think this could be a good year for them, but the way things are now I think we're going to see different global promotions consolidate certain weight divisions in the future rather than ever having one super promotion again.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Even the UFC lost tons of money for years and needed several small miracles like griffin / Bonner to stay afloat. I'd hate to have to front that money for the parallel kickboxing risk, despite kickboxing being arguably the most casual-friendly and accessible combat sport.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

There's no way you can pay out a card from the house take so its open season for all sorts of wacky grifter action. That's why dutch organized crime and kickboxing go together so well.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Some details on the next K-1 show in June. There's going to be a featherweight (57.5kg) tournament for Takeru's vacant belt:

Kaito Ozawa vs Jorge Varela
Yuta Murakoshi vs Elias Mahmoudi
Ryusei Ashizawa vs Silviu Vitez
Haruma Saikyo vs Hirotaka Asahisa

The favourite is Saikyo, former Koshien champ who beat Ozawa twice last year. Ozawa is the second favourite, last time they had a tournament at this weight he was in the finals with Takeru. Elias Mahmoudi is a good fighter, very long limbs and a great push kick to the head, but he suffers without elbows. I haven't seen either Jorge Varela or Silviu Vitez fight before. Asahisa won a tournament in Wu Lin Feng. Murakoshi and Ashizawa are not even particularly good Krush level fighters and are there to be cannon fodder.

It looks like a bit of a dud tournament and could have done with a high level Chinese fighter, like that guy Wang Junguang who gave Takeru a tough go of it. Hopefully they put a good title fight on there, but if the co main ends up being Yuta Kubo defending then it's definitely not worth watching live in North America.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
https://livestream.com/wfl/FINAL8-wildcard

live kickboxing right now from Melvin Manhoef's promotion, free stream if you give them an email address (doesn't need to be real)

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Glory 53 this weekend, in LA so it's going to be on at American times:

quote:

GLORY 52 Los Angeles
Featherweight Unification Bout: Robin van Roosmalen (c) vs. Kevin VanNostrand (ic)
Middleweight Co-Headline Bout: Simon Marcus vs. Zack Wells
Middleweight Bout: Mike Lemaire vs. Chris Camozzi
Lightweight Bout: Stoyan Koprivlenski vs. Josh Jauncey

GLORY 52 SuperFight Series
Light Heavyweight Headline Bout: Pavel Zhuravlev vs. Myron Dennis
Catchweight (53 kg) Bout: Anissa Meksen vs. Ashley Nichols
Middleweight Bout: Paul Banasiak vs. Troy Jones
Featherweight Bout: Zakaria Zouggary vs. Bailey Sugden

Card was a bit better before they cancelled the tournament but whatever. Zouggary vs Sugden should be good, Simon Marcus is good but I have no idea who Zack Wells is, and Robin van Roosmalen is always fun to watch.

I'm going to be busy during April but the next KNOCK OUT card is on the 14th and will stream on periscope for free again. It's headlined by a title fight between Yosuke Morii vs Yodlekphet Aor.Pitisak (Lumpinee #1 ranked at 135lbs). There's also the first round of an interesting little 4 man tournament with a mix of fighters from Krush, Shootboxing, and other random promotions including the weird K-1 Global tournament from Korea nobody gave a poo poo about. Their cards have fewer fights but they're 5 rounders under full Thai rules which makes up for it. There's rumours that they're putting together Tenshin with the #1 Rajadamnern fighter at his weight for a future show, so watch this space.

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

I have come to really dislike RvR. I hope he loses every fight and also isn't gifted a decision when he does lose.

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

I highly suggest following Max Muay Thai on facebook. They have live streams of fights every single day, 7 days a week. They go from about 8am-9am EST, and are generally REALLY fun. With some amazing production values reminiscent of the sounds of F-ZERO. I watch em at work. If enough people are interested, might start a thread.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
https://twitter.com/_Yodsanan/status/983677412742483968

In the latest stadium rankings I could find, Rodtung (rod tongue, lmfao) was ranked #1 at Lumpinee at 130lbs. It's assumed this is his June fight for KNOCK OUT, which is why on the Rizin May show he's fighting a WSOF bum whose only pro kickboxing experience is losing a fight 8 years ago to a z tier fighter.

The next KNOCK OUT show is on Saturday, should be streaming live on Periscope again. Despite how that sounds, it's a full TV feed not some guys pointing a phone, and their shows are usually great fun. Keep your eyes on https://twitter.com/kb_knockout show is due to start at 1am/4am Pacific/Eastern, 9am British time.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
All the various kickboxing belts they're holding are a distraction because I want to know what the ruleset for each one is.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Triticum Guzzler posted:

https://twitter.com/_Yodsanan/status/983677412742483968

In the latest stadium rankings I could find, Rodtung (rod tongue, lmfao) was ranked #1 at Lumpinee at 130lbs. It's assumed this is his June fight for KNOCK OUT, which is why on the Rizin May show he's fighting a WSOF bum whose only pro kickboxing experience is losing a fight 8 years ago to a z tier fighter.

The next KNOCK OUT show is on Saturday, should be streaming live on Periscope again. Despite how that sounds, it's a full TV feed not some guys pointing a phone, and their shows are usually great fun. Keep your eyes on https://twitter.com/kb_knockout show is due to start at 1am/4am Pacific/Eastern, 9am British time.

That’s badass, but to kimbo’s point I can’t remember the rules for either knockout or rise so I’m not sure which if either is better?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

DeimosRising posted:

That’s badass, but to kimbo’s point I can’t remember the rules for either knockout or rise so I’m not sure which if either is better?

rise is k-1 rules, knock out is full thai

the knock out show is friday night for america btw, not saturday night

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
KNOCK OUT got sniped:

https://twitter.com/Karaev_Fan/status/983699352056139777
https://twitter.com/Karaev_Fan/status/983995155203096576

They announced their intention to make this fight and then RISE went ahead and did it.

RISE are counter programming the K-1 57.5kg GP on the same day, which is one of their weaker offerings (they signed the guy who knocked out Joe Schilling twice and he's on this card). CyGames, an absurdly rich mobile game company that started off sponsoring Rizin then switched to just sponsoring Tenshin will be sponsoring the show, so there's an outside chance that there will be some kind of live stream. It's going to be RISE's biggest show to date, in an 8k arena just outside Tokyo, while K-1 run the similarly sized Saitama Community Arena.

It's interesting times for the kickboxing scene in Japan, a lot of organisations are money losers for bigger backers and it's getting to sink or swim time. KO seems like it's going to die on the vine, but RISE is now heavily involved with Rizin, and tv money is the holy grail for any of K-1's competitors.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Apparently Buakaw fought Johnny Risco:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwBNyG93HxM

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
2 hours until knock out babey; i think. https://www.twitter.com/kb_knockout

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

can't wait to discover who in fact is king of knockout

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
the secrets all await here https://www.pscp.tv/w/1ypKdmNoLQRGW

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

you just won a giant gold medal lady. you're allowed to look happier than 'content'

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
she knew that there was little to celebrate in 30-27ing a girl who was only in the ring because the iranian revolutionary guard were practicing their gps spoofing and got a girl heading for her cardio kickboxing class in seoul to go to japan mr magoo style

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

A Shameful Victory

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Yosuke Mizuochi Vs Kenta. Who will win? I don't know because I've never heard of them, but the commentators appear to have called one of them a magician

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Fairly loving Cool

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
That was fast.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
the next fight appears to be framed as some kind of noodle eating contest

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
https://twitter.com/Jolassanda/status/985079647896469504

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I have an innate like of guys with 68 fights, 35 wins and 33 losses.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

34 losses now I guess

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
this Soichiro guy is trying something brave in adapting Arona posture to kickboxing

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
a hero

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
with the amount of leg kicks that guy ate in that round the next 2 could be rough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
these brave noodle eaters fought to a split draw