Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tidiox
Jul 22, 2007

Orv posted:

It didn't! It's one of my very few (relative to how many I have made) regrettable EA purchases.

Isn't Pixel Piracy the game where the developers thought it would be a good/fun idea to simulate the pirates' bowel movements? And it ended in an issue where the pirates were defecating faster than you could feasibly clean the ship, thus filling the ship with feces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Malek posted:

Doesn't this just reinforce the broad sweep stereotype that Early Access is just ... poo poo?

Also where is that linked to, I want to show that to quite a few people.
Early Access is poo poo.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mortimer posted:

Don't talk poo poo about Early Access. You'll get the kerbal defenders out in full force :rolleyes:

Surprise, you're still an idiot.

tidiox posted:

Isn't Pixel Piracy the game where the developers thought it would be a good/fun idea to simulate the pirates' bowel movements? And it ended in an issue where the pirates were defecating faster than you could feasibly clean the ship, thus filling the ship with feces?

That's not even the worst design decision they made, it's pretty incredible. They did manage to revert a bunch of them though.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is out guys, and it's 15% off the first week!

I've been waiting to play this game for quite a while and held off from the PSP version since they announced the sequel's coming over for PC later, too.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mortimer posted:

Don't talk poo poo about Early Access. You'll get the kerbal defenders out in full force :rolleyes:

No yeah KSP is the worst. Nailed it.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
So Hegemony Rome is 75% off at GMG, doe anyone know if it was any good? Seen very little about it, as with most Kalypso titles. They seem to hate marketing.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

tidiox posted:

All across the globe, the ears of a thousand SS13 goons perk up.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

So Hegemony Rome is 75% off at GMG, doe anyone know if it was any good? Seen very little about it, as with most Kalypso titles. They seem to hate marketing.

It's quite good. The Hegemony games are sort of Sins of a Solar Empire meets your guys games. You control huge amounts of land and fight in real time (with pausing) across the entirety of antiquity. Rome introduces a few interesting problems like engineering (it is Caeser's campaign after all), captives from a barbarian nation to keep them in hand, and increasing the number of troop counters. Additionally there is a sandbox mode that allows you to play any faction on the map. $7.50 is a steal if you're interested in a non-standard grand RTS game.

Oh, actually the perfect way to describe it is Total War where you're always on the battle map, but it has the scale of the overview map.

Orv fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 29, 2014

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is out guys, and it's 15% off the first week!

I've been waiting to play this game for quite a while and held off from the PSP version since they announced the sequel's coming over for PC later, too.

I've heard really good things about this game, let's see what the store page says:

quote:

Hailed as one of the largest, longest and most meticulously detailed

God drat it. Ever since I became an adult I don't have time for that any more :negative:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

tidiox posted:

You mean they don't just go off the side
really are these uncouth pirates or unhousetrained puppies

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Orv posted:

It's quite good. The Hegemony games are sort of Sins of a Solar Empire meets your guys games. You control huge amounts of land and fight in real time (with pausing) across the entirety of antiquity. Rome introduces a few interesting problems like engineering (it is Caeser's campaign after all), captives from a barbarian nation to keep them in hand, and increasing the number of troop counters. Additionally
there is a sandbox mode that allows you to play any faction on the map. $7.50 is a steal if you're interested in a non-standard grand RTS game.

Oh, actually the perfect way to describe it is Total War where you're always on the battle map, but it has the scale of the overview map.

Neat. The idea interested me, but I kind of forgot about it for a while until it popped up on sale.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Kibayasu posted:

I've heard really good things about this game, let's see what the store page says:

God drat it. Ever since I became an adult I don't have time for that any more :negative:

http://www.howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=10011

~40 hours or so, which isn't terribly long by RPG standards.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Darkrenown posted:

The Three Moves Ahead podcast guys were gushing about it in their latest episode - it's a really deep Ancient Age strategy game with an emphasis on logistics and an interface slick enough to make logistics really really interesting to do and maintain.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Orv posted:

It's quite good. The Hegemony games are sort of Sins of a Solar Empire meets your guys games. You control huge amounts of land and fight in real time (with pausing) across the entirety of antiquity. Rome introduces a few interesting problems like engineering (it is Caeser's campaign after all), captives from a barbarian nation to keep them in hand, and increasing the number of troop counters. Additionally there is a sandbox mode that allows you to play any faction on the map. $7.50 is a steal if you're interested in a non-standard grand RTS game.

I'd never even heard of this game before and now I'm pretty much sure I need it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I will sing both games praises to anyone who will listen because they are the best single-player strategy games to come out in the last five years and no-one plays them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
http://store.steampowered.com/app/202690/

The first game in that Hegemony series covers the Peloponnesian Wars and the conquests of Philip of Macedon

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

tidiox posted:

but this sounds really good :confused:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Humble Bundle will add some sweetener to their Square Enix Bundle in an hour, although it will probably be lame if the 2K sweetener was any indication. Hope springs eternal however!

They're also having a week-long Square Enix sale in the Humble Store. Non-Bundle games:

MURDERED: Soul Suspect - $14.99
Thi4f - $9.99
Final Fantasy 3 - $7.99
Final Fantasy 7 - $5.99
Final Fantasy 8 - $5.99
Legacy of Kain: Defiance - $1.74
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver - $1.74
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2 - $1.74
Blood Omen 2 - $1.74
Sleeping Dogs - $4.99
Dungeon Siege - $1.74
Dungeon Siege II - $1.74
Dungeon Siege III - $3.74
Supreme Commander 2 - $3.24
Quantum Conundrum - $2.24
Conflict: Denied Ops - $1.49
Deathtrap Dungeon - $1.74
Thief II - $1.74 (this might be one of the sweeteners though?)
Thief III - $2.24
Tomb Raider Anniversary - $2.24 (same with these)
Tomb Raider Legend - $1.74
Tomb Raider Underworld - $2.24
Tomb Raider original series - $1.74 each
Urban Chaos - $1.74
Kane & Lynch 1 - $1.74 (might be a sweetener)

So, maybe wait until after 2 PM to find out what they add to the bundle, and then dig in.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 29, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

Quantum Conundrum - $2.24
If you really, really love Q from Star Trek and Portal, this is a fun game. The graphics, though, are very... how can I put this... the game takes place inside a Muppet Babies episode.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Everblight posted:

If you really, really love Q from Star Trek and Portal, this is a fun game.

Yeah I enjoyed it a lot. It's not the next Portal, but it a pretty enjoyable puzzle game. Plus once again Q is the best when he is a rear end in a top hat narrator.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Thief 4 for 10 bux, I'm still torn. Is it that much worse than the previous games?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Skilleddk posted:

Thief 4 for 10 bux, I'm still torn. Is it that much worse than the previous games?
It's really not good, don't waste your time and money.

Buy/replay Dishonored instead.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 29, 2014

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The Room released on Steam with HD graphics (sadly it's not a game adaptation of Wiseau's masterpiece). It's a highly acclaimed ios game...but wait...it's actually good because it's a puzzle game and plays a bit like those "find the exit from the room" games but instead it's just unlocking the next level of the puzzle.

Generally the idea is that you can rotate a highly detailed and visually stunning complicated object which has a lot of different buttons, mechanisms, hidden compartments, notes, clues etc. where you have to slowly figure out how it works and get to its core. The game isn't too long though so depending on how well you can find clues (it often requires finding some really well hidden parts) it can vary in length. It's a cool little game though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZN17joscRo&t=10s

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Palpek posted:

The Room released on Steam with HD graphics (sadly it's not a game adaptation of Wiseau's masterpiece).

Right click to gently caress belly-button. Mash spacebar to throw football.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Ragequit posted:

http://www.howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=10011

~40 hours or so, which isn't terribly long by RPG standards.

What percent of that is sitting through cutscenes and dialog
People said ys the oath was good but it really killed my interest by not letting me play it. They said ys origins was basically no story all gameplay but it still takes me away from doing anything meaningful for long periods. They only jrpgs I seem able to tolerate were 16 bit era ones and ones that harken back to that.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

how much is actually using logic and how much is pixel-hunting and using "video game logic", aka 'think like the designer, not a sane person'

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Everblight posted:

how much is actually using logic and how much is pixel-hunting and using "video game logic", aka 'think like the designer, not a sane person'

There's no pixel hunting, you're manipulating different pieces on the box that follow an internal logic. It's a real good game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Rita Repulsa posted:

People said ys the oath was good but it really killed my interest by not letting me play it. They said ys origins was basically no story all gameplay but it still takes me away from doing anything meaningful for long periods. They only jrpgs I seem able to tolerate were 16 bit era ones and ones that harken back to that.

Trails is very story heavy (the script is enormous.) Doesn't sound like your thing.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Skilleddk posted:

You'll have fun with it for $10 unless you are a pedantic goon hung up on the past.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
How impatient are you if you can't sit through Oath's cutscenes?

Are the PC ports to the other Kain games anything like Soul Reaver? That one was awful enough on my computer I just tracked down the PSX version, since I'd already paid for it. But I'm not sure I can do that with the PS2 ones.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 29, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ys Origin, story-heavy :psyduck:

That game is literally "here's 10 minutes of setup okay now go beat the poo poo out of monsters endlessly"

There's dialogue maybe before a boss or something but there's not even cutscenes inbetween dungeon transitions, just the music changes and you keep on slashin

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Rita Repulsa posted:

Yeah, if story and dialogue isn't your thing, you aren't going to enjoy Trails. Lots and lots of talking. Of course, all the talking is well written and enjoyable, but if that's not your thing in an RPG then Trails is definitely not for you.

(Not that the battle system isn't fun, it's just not the main focus of the game)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yeah The Room is all logical and well designed as a puzzle game. I do remember a couple situations where I had to figure out that a missing item was hidden in the table's leg etc. that I didn't know is even interactive but it's kinda part of the charm of the game - freely rotating a 3D object and noticing there's this tiny fault in the material that turns out to be a hidden compartment.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ragequit posted:

You'll have fun with it for $10 unless you are a pedantic goon hung up on the past.

I haven't played past the first level of thief 1 and Thief 4 wasn't worth :10bux:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Is Octodad light hearted the entire time? I figure for $5 my 5 year old will get a laugh or two out of it.

Mortimer posted:

I haven't played past the first level of thief 1 and Thief 4 wasn't worth :10bux:

I specified my post with "as long as you are a pedantic goon".

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

The Fall is half off for the next two days. Anyone here played it? Seems like an interesting game. Visually it reminds me a bit of The Swapper, which is very fun.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

tidiox posted:

Swab the poop deck!

Also, seconding that it sounds hilarious and kinda awesome to keep in as a feature with a little tuning.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Darkrenown posted:

If you haven't played the one in Greece, get it. It's an interesting game if you like strategy games (which you do). I find Rome a little bit too similar though, I hoped for more improvements and refinements. I know this is due to the setting, but in Greece you constantly got famous special units from Greek history by completing objectives, but in Rome all you get is more legions.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ragequit posted:

Is Octodad light hearted the entire time? I figure for $5 my 5 year old will get a laugh or two out of it.

It's pretty lighthearted but it's frustrating as hell without a controller from what I hear. I beat it on PC and it was reasonably tough. 5 year old me would suck at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Looks like they're releasing some free Octodad DLC soon.

• Locked thread