Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I kept reading, thinking I would eventually get to the payoff. But all his poo poo getting stolen/dropped/run over and crushed by an airport vehicle does not happen.

Edit: drat, top of the page...better post something

Ever wonder what the secret is to getting a lot of likes on Flickr?

1. Create a masterpiece

2. Make sure that it's Exceptional, Admirable, Creative, and Eclectic

3. Ⱨ₳₵₭ ₮ⱧɆ ₥₳₮ⱤłӾ

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
I wrote a long response to a new OP this morning about travel kit and how and why I do it as a travel shooter. Then I erased it and pasted it here in a new thread. I decided to make it a new thread and some of you won't like that I did. But I think it might be instructive for a few guys who are struggling with lens decisions (every day on this board) and various ways to do it, what to travel with and why.

Bob T, Jerry, JS, Mike, and several of you other guys who have already heard me say this 500 times, don't bother yourself with this post. But I get PM'd on this constantly and there is at least 5 threads a week about this very subject.

So I decided to make it a thread and apologize for it's length. Here goes:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I brought a Canon with a 28-105 lens.

Now, having said all of that, you know what I just did? I bought the medium format Voightlander Bessa. Why? Hard to explain. But I did it, which completely reversed my logic for being the best photographer. Those new babies are waiting for me at home right now in unopened ebay boxes. I'm not sure how they fit into my travel plans. That means I will be far less versatile and not nearly as quick and nimble hand-held as with my Canon gear, and every shot will have to be more well thought out with less DOF, no IBIS and higher required hand-held speeds, but it will either make me fall in love with MF or not.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Wait, is this the reddit dude again?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

Wait, is this the reddit dude again?
I mean OP did say they’ve already said this 500 times, so

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It’s some crazy old man from DP Review forums.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I didn't know Rockwell bought all his own gear.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

‘I won’t be as quick and nimble’ ...to take boring, crooked pictures of cafe chairs on the street, I would assume.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SMERSH Mouth posted:

3. Ⱨ₳₵₭ ₮ⱧɆ ₥₳₮ⱤłӾ

I assume the digit sequences near the bottom are supposed to bring you views when people look for those, but does it really do anything if the user doesn't type the whole sequence ?
As in if I tag a photo "Prunish Doodle Farts", searching for the tag "doodle" won't bring up the photo because tags aren't supposed to be for partial matches ?

Related: are people who run scripts to autofave other's photo and bring audience usually completely bland and boring as poo poo as photographers ? It seems pretty consistent

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

unpacked robinhood posted:

if I tag a photo "Prunish Doodle Farts"

You find your own niche, god dammit!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

tl;dr guy is all of us. Buy a body and a couple lenses thinking once you can get from 10mm to 200mm you got everything you need. Then your eyes start wandering and before you know it you're lugging 300 pounds of glass you simply cannot bear to leave at home JUST IN CASE.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Related: are people who run scripts to autofave other's photo and bring audience usually completely bland and boring as poo poo as photographers ? It seems pretty consistent

Joke's on them: I never go bother to look at their profiles. :)

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

are people who run scripts to autofave other's photo and bring audience usually completely bland and boring as poo poo as photographers ? It seems pretty consistent

Completely bland and boring as poo poo gets you into like the top 10% of Flickr.

I assume the digit sequences near the bottom are supposed to bring you views when people look for those, but does it really do anything if the user doesn't type the whole sequence ?
As in if I tag a photo "Prunish Doodle Farts", searching for the tag "doodle" won't bring up the photo because tags aren't supposed to be for partial matches
Partial tag matches do appear to work. If I search for “dw ni” I just get a bunch of that guy’s pictures.

tk fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 5, 2019

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I’m still confused at wall of text. Good lord.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That old man posted another 1000 words on something plus included photos.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I’m still confused at wall of text. Good lord.
I had a Canon FF setup but was tired of lugging around all that gear. I ditched it for a Fuji mirrorless APS-C getup and filled up several bags with those lenses. Now, inexplicably, I’m going balls-deep into MF.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

pwn posted:

I had a Canon FF setup but was tired of lugging around all that gear. I ditched it for a Fuji mirrorless APS-C getup and filled up several bags with those lenses. Now, inexplicably, I’m going balls-deep into MF.
If anybody wants a lightly-used MF kit, you're in luck!

quote:

Thanks John. I took your advice to heart. Im selling 9 XF lenses and all the new MF gear.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

holocaust bloopers posted:

Nice to see Shrek branching out into something new, at least.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

pwn posted:

I just love that his travel kit is minimum 4 lenses no matter what.

Meanwhile I only brought a x100t to a weeklong trip to London and got great photos out of it.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I didn't know you could buy yourself into creative greatness like that for only thousands of dollars worth of gear

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

First person holiday DLC for Goat Simulator, neat.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Uptime Sinclair posted:

First person holiday DLC for Goat Simulator, neat.

Must...not...make...monitor joke... :negative:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

President Beep posted:

Must...not...make...monitor joke... :negative:
Second only to a goat see joke imo

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

xzzy posted:

tl;dr guy is all of us. Buy a body and a couple lenses thinking once you can get from 10mm to 200mm you got everything you need. Then your eyes start wandering and before you know it you're lugging 300 pounds of glass you simply cannot bear to leave at home JUST IN CASE.

This was me in December, when I bought three lenses, flashes, triggers, reflectors, tripod, and a backpack to accommodate all of the above as well as my laptop, etc. Boy howdy, for a moment I felt like a successful dentist. Proud of my new haul, I lugged the whole lot around for two days while on Christmas holiday, before realising I’m dumb. Now I just have a gripless body with two primes and a spare battery, stuffed into a Thinktank holster bag.

To be fair, the backpack and pro zooms are kinda needed for work, which includes air travel. At least that’s how I’m justifying it to myself. :colbert:

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
It's funny when people I work with who are in front of the camera find an image and can point out exactly what's wrong with it. And they're NOT photographers!

Once I can find an image link to share here I'll be curious to see if people pick out the same reasons it was not a good photo for the same reasons we did.

ReverendHammer fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 7, 2019

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Flickr baffles me every time time I stray from my little bubble for some reason:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/1088517@N25/

Why does this group exist? Why does it have 298 members? Why do so many of those members post photos that are in no way barns?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

quote:

By now, I'm sure many of you will have read todays update (01/11/2018) from Flickr regarding the future of its 'Pro' and free accounts. From January 8th 2019, free accounts will be limited to a total of 1,000 photographs or videos. From February 5th, content will be deleted (oldest to newest) from such accounts until the new limit is reached. My account has always been a free one.

Personally, I feel the cost of upgrading to a 'Pro' account is an unnecessary expense. Therefore, I have come to the decision, after six years of active posting, to cease uploading to this account. Over the last few months (largely since the acquisition of Flickr by SmugMug), I have experimented with uploading my pictures to relevant Facebook groups. This now seems like the path I shall pursue from now on. If there is a strong enough demand for a specific page for viewing my photographs on Facebook then I shall certainly consider it (do let me know if interested at all). I see little point in continuing to post to this account in the build up to the deadline to upgrade sadly.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/76598271@N05/

Almost 12,000 photos of buses. :psyduck:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

12,000 of the bloody things and of course I recognize the very first one.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Hey, a bunch of those are taken just down the hill from my flat. :psyduck:

There's a guy I see driving to work he always stands on the same motorway overpass with a camera, he's there without fail regardless of the weather SLR in hand waiting for... something. Now I'm wondering whether he has a similarly vast Flickr archive of very specific vehicle photos for me to find.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Daryl is gonna be hosed soon unless he goes pro. Gotta retain them high quality bus photos.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Harmless eccentric.

Holistic Detective posted:

Flickr baffles me every time time I stray from my little bubble for some reason:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/1088517@N25/

Why does this group exist? Why does it have 298 members? Why do so many of those members post photos that are in no way barns?
Pure Evil.

To like that type of shot your brain has to be so fried that you are no longer able to process the meaning of words and can't tell the difference between 'barn' and 'not barn', or you have such a lack of ability to tell Right from Wrong, that you simply can't recognise the lack of social unacceptability in intentionally spamming every possible group in the search of the like/comment buzz.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

To like that type of shot your brain has to be so fried that you are no longer able to process the meaning of words and can't tell the difference between 'barn' and 'not barn'

Get a load of this barn prescriptivist. Times change, gramps!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Request to rename the dorkroom to The HDR Barn.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Request to rename the dorkroom to The HDR Barn.

:same:

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

xzzy posted:

I hope you're happy with yourself for making me go look it up.

https://www.benstraussphotography.com/product-page/autumn-blossoms

*Watermark will be removed on all purchased prints, unless requested otherwise*

Crini
Sep 2, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

*Watermark will be removed on all purchased prints, unless requested otherwise*

Look, I’m not paying for the over processed hackneyed shot of a flower.

I’m paying for the name on the over processed hackneyed shot of a flower.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

What's the point of having a Strauss if you can't show it off?!?!

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Scavino45/status/1082877853258141696/photo/1?ref_src=hehepoop

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Holy poo poo, boom mike in the shot. An absolute classic. :discourse:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Very subtle troll how the whole image is tilted right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

Very subtle troll how the whole image is tilted right.

Boom!(mic)