Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

finally figured out why the external midi keyboard was acting oddly with the a4 (eg adding trigs with the keyboard wasnt working right) -- it should've been on channel 9 (the 'auto' channel) whereas i was manually setting it to channels 1-4 (tracks 1-4) and somehow that affects trig adding even though it plays fine

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
i've been loving around with using resettable LFOs and quantizers to make sequences instead of actual step sequences and i'm pretty happy with the results

https://soundcloud.com/dumbledog/the-algorithm

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I dig it.

Is there some way to fake a quantizer with the Aira modulars besides sample & hold?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
not that I know of sadly. The "sequence" for the bass there was actually two aira LFOs ring modulated but I needed my Disting to do the quant

hopefully roland is not done with the airas and they get another firmware update, it's such a great utility

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
here's an aira patch to show what i mean

trigger goes into input 2, which resets the phases of the two lfos

knobs 1 and 2 adjust lfo rates, 3 and 4 is resulting waveform's offset and scale (you'll want to attenuate hard so you're not quantizing 10 octaves)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
that's really helpful. thank you! :)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

oh cool adlib tracker has an SDL version that integrates MAME's OPL3 emulation

https://soundcloud.com/luigi30/coolsong

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

hey go get my sick filthy nasty multitouch synth

version 3.0 update released this morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zrnAJq8j-U

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
i loving :love: tc-11, me

made me go check price of a 64-bit ipad mini, even

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lord funk posted:

hey go get my sick filthy nasty multitouch synth

version 3.0 update released this morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zrnAJq8j-U

this gives me great pleasure, kevin

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

what is best for mangling samples into music? I'm thinking Ableton but I don't know it and the interface seems clunky, but again I don't know it.

I am also considering fl studio?

what's a good goon recommended sample and beat making program?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

for workflow purposes i'm two or three major updates behind, but FL does what i need it to with the tools i've added

define what you mean by "mangling" and you'll get more useful answers

between the two, ableton is infinitely better for live things (as it should be given the name), and FL is better for composition things

imo

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
FL is infinitely better at not being hella expensive too

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
hey synth nerds check this out isn't it cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFgIrac8Dig

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
looks pretty cool. i wish the isomorphic keyboard was larger though

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom
I saw earlier in the thread (read: nearly 2 years ago) a couple people were mucking about with real yamaha fm synth chips, did anything ever come of that?
I have my own plans for stuff like that but gently caress if i know how i'm going to get anything to talk to the chip, or the chip to run correctly.
There's a perfect-as-it-gets FPGA implementation of the opl3, though, which skips the whole timing/voltage control/etc problem for me.
No-one seems to actually use chips like this for knob-twiddly synths for some reason.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
alm has two eurorack modules using the opl, then the midibox guys have a desktop synth as well. the latter is probably of more interest if you want to diy from the ground up since that's all open

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

where has this thread been all my life.

the humble book bundle at the minute is electronics based, and includes one on making analog synths. i don't know if it's any good but if you're like me and think synths are rad as heck but have no experience with them it might be worth checking out.

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Startyde posted:

alm has two eurorack modules using the opl, then the midibox guys have a desktop synth as well. the latter is probably of more interest if you want to diy from the ground up since that's all open

that sounds very helpful, thanks.

Graff
May 10, 2012

Maw posted:

where has this thread been all my life.

the humble book bundle at the minute is electronics based, and includes one on making analog synths. i don't know if it's any good but if you're like me and think synths are rad as heck but have no experience with them it might be worth checking out.

i kinda miss the mid 2000s when i picked up a bassstation rack for 70 quid. great synth to learn on. analogue as heck, modern niceties, knob for every function. was a great cheap way to learn. then prices got all hosed up. it's cool that there's loads of cheap gear coming out these days, but not much of it is as cheap as 70 quid off of eBay

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Graff posted:

i kinda miss the mid 2000s when i picked up a bassstation rack for 70 quid. great synth to learn on. analogue as heck, modern niceties, knob for every function. was a great cheap way to learn. then prices got all hosed up. it's cool that there's loads of cheap gear coming out these days, but not much of it is as cheap as 70 quid off of eBay

i wish I had started caring about synths and electronic music years ago really, instead of just focusing on bass guitar. that sounds pretty cool

Graff
May 10, 2012

Maw posted:

i wish I had started caring about synths and electronic music years ago really, instead of just focusing on bass guitar. that sounds pretty cool

my boyfriend got me into it, which is weird cos he's was in to metal and I was in to electronic bollocks. there was this window where old gear was dirt cheap secondhand, then it all just went all eBay crazy

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Graff posted:

my boyfriend got me into it, which is weird cos he's was in to metal and I was in to electronic bollocks. there was this window where old gear was dirt cheap secondhand, then it all just went all eBay crazy

terrible cheap, especially if you were willing to drive a little ways. picked up a tx816 studio queen for $50 once. eps for $20 and the same guy 'oh maybe you want this too?' kurz k150 for another 20. digital stuff got crazy cheap middle of the 90s
analog didn't stay in the zone too long, in my area anyway. now is crazy though, im amazed at what boring dco polys go for these days when you can get a minilogue for half a g.

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Graff posted:

friend of mine picked up a bassstation II recently for about $400AU. He's having a lot of fun with it, pretty sure it's not the same circuit as the old rack though.
kinda want to grab one myself, but was thinking of maybe getting an akai timbre wolf - not sure it's worth the money, or any good, but it seems simple enough for something to start with.

Graff
May 10, 2012

epipen posted:

friend of mine picked up a bassstation II recently for about $400AU. He's having a lot of fun with it, pretty sure it's not the same circuit as the old rack though.
kinda want to grab one myself, but was thinking of maybe getting an akai timbre wolf - not sure it's worth the money, or any good, but it seems simple enough for something to start with.

we had a bassstation 2 for a bit. seemed basically the same but with option of a better filter, USB, arpeggiator. great synth, but less of a good deal brand new and doesn't have those nice extras the old rack model had like poly chaining mode or independent midi to cv/gate option. definitely much more fun than timberwolf tho.

Graff
May 10, 2012

still a great knobby beginner synth that u can take to rehearsals and will make sounds u still have a place for even if u go get something fancy later on.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

maybe i'll keep an eye out in case one turns up cheap somewhere. the idea of having physical hardware is definitely appealing, i've only really used software synths until now

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Graff posted:

still a great knobby beginner synth that u can take to rehearsals and will make sounds u still have a place for even if u go get something fancy later on.

i mostly want to muck about on my own, but yeah, thats what i was thinking. Polyphony is great and all but the bs2 seems more fun, and lbr im not going to learn chords worth a drat anyway

Graff
May 10, 2012

epipen posted:

i mostly want to muck about on my own, but yeah, thats what i was thinking. Polyphony is great and all but the bs2 seems more fun, and lbr im not going to learn chords worth a drat anyway

bassstation rack had some weird feature where u could daisy chain them and they'd turn into a poly synth. my ex saw a whole rack of them at a gig once

Graff
May 10, 2012

though if u don't mind slightly eh supernova-y analogue modelling see if u can get a secondhand k station for cheap. same knobby interface as bassstation keyboard, same portability, but polyphonic.

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Graff posted:

bassstation rack had some weird feature where u could daisy chain them and they'd turn into a poly synth. my ex saw a whole rack of them at a gig once
lmao that owns

Graff posted:

though if u don't mind slightly eh supernova-y analogue modelling see if u can get a secondhand k station for cheap. same knobby interface as bassstation keyboard, same portability, but polyphonic.

i'll have a look, doesn't look like it'll be much less here than the bassstation2, and i don't absolutely need poly

at the moment trying to figure out how the physical controls for this opl3 project i wanna do would work, and how to convey the value of some of the variables without resorting to screens. not looking great unless there's some arm board or another with about a billion GPIO pins, so i guess there's a reason people stick to screens lol

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Graff posted:

my roommate has a pair and they sound very sick

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i cant say that ive been lucky enough to own any novation hardware but i cane the poo poo out of their plugins. i like their filtering, very nice round shimmery thing without going into JX stab territory

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
i got the kstation when it came out in 2001 and i will never ever let it go. and i still use v-station

Graff
May 10, 2012

Power Ambient posted:

i got the kstation when it came out in 2001 and i will never ever let it go. and i still use v-station

only downside is they are made of fallapartium. sliders came off mine after a couple of only slightly violent shows.

i think having excessive novation wood is a british think cos they were always cheaper than other (imported) synths back in the day. drumstation/d station was also sick and we regret selling it.

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
my kstation has some issues with the program knob jittering and kinda going crazy when im trying to select a program so i use the number inputs instead, but other than that it's still in good condition and i've toured with it before. i definitely would love to somehow give it a new enclosure and upgrade it but it seems impossible

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
probably would use my xio more if it had midi in to make up for the 2 octave keyboard

Mario Incandenza
Aug 24, 2000

Tell me, small fry, have you ever heard of the golden Triumph Forks?
novation (and focusrite) are good companies tha tmake good products.

Graff
May 10, 2012

Mario Incandenza posted:

novation (and focusrite) are good companies tha tmake good products.

i love my dead gay bassstation rack :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
hey computer music pos do any of you remember a cool YouTube video posted in yospos that was a review of a vocal synthesiser vst that i find very interesting and would like to watch again??? it was a good explanation of how some vocal synthesisers work. thanks and g-d bless

• Locked thread