Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Depends posted:

I keep going up against teams with a higher magic Crescendo in the arena. Them doing 8 or 9 true damage to my low leveled guys sucks and can 1 or 2 shot most of my team.

Arena is a shitshow right now, even if you have one of those weapons, because just a little bad luck and you get wiped out. Also, matchmaking there is horrible, the last time I tried, it was consistently matching me against guys 2-400 levels above me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

Some Sperglord on the Forums posted:

The 50 gem fee for switching class needs to be removed. I have spent over 300 gems so far switching from class to class. There are two main reasons for this:

There are no rewards past 250 wins. Since wins don't give any additional rewards past 250 wins, there is little need to stay on one class for too long. Dedicated players get 250 wins much quicker than the 6 day timer.

Defend team doesn't save class. Since everyone's defend team has to use current class, there becomes a lot of instances where people prioritize for PvP class rather than defend class. This leaves less creativity with defends as people are forced to use the same offensive class as defensive. For instance, I prefer Priest for defend, but always PvP with Sorcerer, Necromancer, or Archer.

This guy is hilarious.

There are 7 classes. That's 1750 fights to max them all out.

You also get a free class-switch when you unlock a class.

So this guy has switched classes like 13 times? I haven't finished one class and it's been 6 days. Is this kid playing this as a job?

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

:getin:

Gorgotha
Moloch
Sorcerer hero with Burning Scythe
Webspinner

My new invasion team. Switching my home kingdom to Maugrim Woods to farm up the arcanes to make Webspinner do 3x skull damage to poisoned enemies.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Depends posted:

I keep going up against teams with a higher magic Crescendo in the arena. Them doing 8 or 9 true damage to my low leveled guys sucks and can 1 or 2 shot most of my team.

Yeah I've noticed this too. I haven't had a team to try the new scythe myself but I've seen enemies with it at level 5 with similar levels to enemies with it at level 10. And we're not talking about max kingdom level whales, these are people in the 400 range.

My guess is that somehow there's a way to get your class level bonus on your weapon to carry over to Arena.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

That's exactly what it is. The class +magic with a weapon is carrying over. +5 magic from having a class at level 20 is enough to pretty much double the weapon damage in arena. I'm staying out until the next patch fixes it. It isn't fun when winning comes down to which hero casts twice first, yours or the AI.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
A couple fun teams:

White/Green banner

Alchemist
Green Seer
Hero with Yasmine's Chalice (priest class for bonus)
Rowanne

Red banner

Alchemist
Moloch (needs 3rd trait)
Moloch
Mercy

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I got curious and decided to start recording the number of kingdoms that send tribute every time I collect gold. My memory tells me that 0- and 1-kingdom tributes tend to cluster, but that could just be recall bias. (Given my current kingdom levels and power tiers, I should be averaging 2.7 kingdoms each time I check for tribute. I should have a 5% chance of 0 kingdoms and a 17% chance of 1. I also have a 3.2x10-21 chance of a 22-kingdom tribute. :science:)

At 30 checks, I am correct that below-expectation results cluster. Because 20 out of my 30 checks have been below expectation. 6 of the 30 have been 0 tributes. :suicide:

I think the RNG knows I am looking and is telling me to gently caress off with my test.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
I think the default chance for a kingdom tribute is something tiny like 1%.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Grundulum posted:

Unfortunately for those seeking invites, Gem Blossums is full.

However, both CrashCat and Meat Magician are showing several days of inactivity. Is either of you bored of the game, such that we can free up a slot for new players? In this brave new world of more active players I don't want to boot someone prematurely.
Yeah go ahead, I keep trying to get back to it but the traitstone wall has got me down. If I get hooked again I'll beg for a spot later. I got way more guild bonuses from y'all than I deserve anyway

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

grrarg posted:

...the best way to go is to get the 50gem armor...

aw poo poo, ive been spending my gems on the event chests for the special monsters. I'd have enough for a 50gem armor right now if I had saved them

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Kly posted:

aw poo poo, ive been spending my gems on the event chests for the special monsters. I'd have enough for a 50gem armor right now if I had saved them

Probably the best progression is to get 50 gem armor asap, then save for the 500 gem armor, and then I'd say get regular gem chests, not event chests. Event chests are more expensive and I don't think they have any better chance of getting a legendary.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008

Davethulhu posted:

Probably the best progression is to get 50 gem armor asap, then save for the 500 gem armor, and then I'd say get regular gem chests, not event chests. Event chests are more expensive and I don't think they have any better chance of getting a legendary.

This.

And for the armor, stick with gold bonuses. Because its used to level kingdoms and complete guild tasks, its way more valuable than souls or exp. Plus, its pretty easy to make a soul farming team.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Event chests are a bad value for beginners, yeah. Get the special event troop with glory. Event chests are more for whales and vets trying to round out their collection. The keys only pull troops from the kingdom of that week's event so they can be useful for trying to get multiple copies of specific uncommon or ultra-rare troops to ascend.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

grrarg posted:

Event chests are a bad value for beginners, yeah. Get the special event troop with glory. Event chests are more for whales and vets trying to round out their collection. The keys only pull troops from the kingdom of that week's event so they can be useful for trying to get multiple copies of specific uncommon or ultra-rare troops to ascend.

Your first three sentences are correct. Event chests don't work quite like you described, though. Event chests act like gem chests in that they can give only ultra-rare or higher troops, and they have the same drop rates at each rarity tier. Epics and legendaries are guaranteed to come from the event kingdom; the specific troop you would receive is shown on the screen. Ultra-rares are merely heavily biased. You can still pull Treants this week, but you'll get more Twisted Heroes by far. Not sure how Arcane traitstones work, but you definitely can get any of the runic traitstones out of event keys. (gently caress, is that ever irritating.)

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Ah I thought I read on the GoW forum that all pulls were from the event kingdom. That is even worse value then. I've never bought event keys specifically, just used a few that came in glory bundles or in the new defense rewards. I was super lucky earlier this week and pulled Infernal King with an event key from 60 defense wins.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Is there any way to have the game not pause when I change program focus? I like to alt-tab back and forth a lot and having the game pause every time is irritating.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Sloppy posted:

Is there any way to have the game not pause when I change program focus? I like to alt-tab back and forth a lot and having the game pause every time is irritating.

Play it on your ios (and maybe android?) device while you're surfing. You can link your account.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Davethulhu posted:

Play it on your ios (and maybe android?) device while you're surfing. You can link your account.
Yeah it works fine on Android, linked up no problem

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I meant to open one glory chest with a key and accidentally bought 10. I was 13 away from getting the last dragon to ascend it to legendary. Now I need to get 213 glory before the event ends. :negative:

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Treasure maps. You'll need to do a bunch of them (probably 10-12), but it's a lot faster than doing 72 invasions.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Dumb RNG. 7x Lamia and 7x Watcher from 50 gem chests.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
So how do you procure arcane stones? Besides cash money, I mean.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

seravid posted:

Chests and treasure maps. Also any stage you clear has like a 80% base chance of dropping a random trait stone.

It seems daunting but after a couple of months of playing I'm filling mine out.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

seravid posted:

If you want a particular arcane stone, there are three things that increase your chances of getting it:
1. Find the kingdom whose banner matches the color(s) you're interested in and make it your home kingdom. Any defenses you win will pick from those colors, and the combo is the only arcane you'll win. So, for example, the Broken Spire banner is blue/brown, so if you win a defense there, there's a chance you'll get a blue/brown arcane.
2. Complete quests/challenges in that kingdom. You get the same 80% chance of a stone with a quest or challenge fight, and it will also match colors with the kingdom. You can keep re-doing challenges even if you've previously completed all levels.
3. Keep an eye on the weekly glory rewards.

Edit: from reading the official forums, it sounds like arcanes have about a 2% drop rate.

Davethulhu fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 27, 2016

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

grrarg posted:

Dumb RNG. 7x Lamia and 7x Watcher from 50 gem chests.

It's not just you. I just used 12 glory keys and got two ultra-rares. Gorgon and Lamia.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Jibo posted:

Chests and treasure maps. Also any stage you clear has like a 80% base chance of dropping a random trait stone.

It seems daunting but after a couple of months of playing I'm filling mine out.

Not a newbie, I actually posted on the thread's first page. Which was... last August? What the :psyduck:

Asking because I seem to only get up to Runic drops; I don't recall ever receiving an Arcane from a battle.
I'll set the home kingdom and do the challenges, see if that helps. Thanks.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

seravid posted:

Not a newbie, I actually posted on the thread's first page. Which was... last August? What the :psyduck:

Asking because I seem to only get up to Runic drops; I don't recall ever receiving an Arcane from a battle.
I'll set the home kingdom and do the challenges, see if that helps. Thanks.

Yeah I mean to say that because I play a lot. I'm just saying if you sit and power through a bunch of battles and maps you will get some eventually. Whether or not it's a color you can use is another thing. I'm only just now getting to the point where I could probably trait up any of my units fully.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I must be doing something wrong, then. How many battles do you have on the counter? I'm up to 600+ and I can't buy any of the second traits for my main team (they all have the first one) :
1/10 Beast
2/8 Swamp
0/10 Skull
0/8 Plains
(all Arcane stones)

I haven't played a map in a long time, though...

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I have identified your problem. You're using a team composed entirely of epic/legendary troops. They're hella more expensive to trait up than lower-tier troops.

I suspect grrarg is the most active goon player, and it was a big deal when he finally traited up one legendary troop. You've got four on your team.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

seravid posted:

I must be doing something wrong, then. How many battles do you have on the counter? I'm up to 600+ and I can't buy any of the second traits for my main team (they all have the first one) :
1/10 Beast
2/8 Swamp
0/10 Skull
0/8 Plains
(all Arcane stones)

I have 90 assorted arcane trait stones. I did buy the purple pack though which I think has 36 stones? So you can deduct that but my main team is traited (except Goblin King because screw his traits) and most of my secondary team is traited (just need one more black/yellow to finish Gob Chomper).

I also have 6 Celestial and never picked more than one glory pack.

I'm at almost 700 PVP battles but I mostly do Arena to chug along on ascending my PVP teams.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

The best way to get Arcanes now is buying the weekly event troop bundles with Glory. If the troop is epic, the bundle has that troop's Arcane stone. If it is ultra-rare, it has that kindom's Arcane.

It takes 16 Arcanes to fully trait a legendary. Realistically, the only way to get them is if they pop up in a cash or glory bundle. I had Ketar as my home kingdom for months trying to get the traits for Abhorath and only got 11/16. Finally finished it this week by spending all my Glory on Venbarak bundles for the Arcane Spirit stones. Stockpile Glory and keep an eye out for the color you need in the weekly event.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

seravid posted:

1/10 Beast
2/8 Swamp
0/10 Skull
0/8 Plains
(all Arcane stones)

I have about 1300 invasions. I'm still waiting for arcane venom stones. It will never happen.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

porktree posted:

I have about 1300 invasions. I'm still waiting for arcane venom stones. It will never happen.

Tell me about it. I was homed at Zul Kari for weeks and did a poo poo load of pointless challenges and never got a single one. I just wanted to level out Siren for a cheese Empowered team but nope!

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

seravid posted:

1/10 Beast
2/8 Swamp
0/10 Skull
0/8 Plains
(all Arcane stones)

Good news!

This week's glory bundle should have Arcane Skull (brown/purple) stones. Now's the time to fully trait Bone Dragon, Keeper of Souls, or Kerberos if you are sitting on enough glory.

The bad news is that the bundle will probably cost 500+ glory each since Bunni'nog is a legendary. I kinda wish they would go back to new troops every other week, alternating between weapons and troops. I never have enough glory now.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Great! Except I'm actually not interested in KoS' second (+4 life for every kill) or third traits (summon a Wight). He's in third place on my team so he faces little danger and a Wight is of no use to me - and most of the time there wouldn't be any room for him anyway. I'll save my 2k glory for Gloom Leaf and Green Seer; now those have some drat good second traits (+2 life for every 4 or 5 match and +2 random skills for every ally).

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Son of a bitch. I was excited to use all the Arcane Deep Stones I have from keeping Khaziel as my home kingdom, and they changed Bunni'Nog from brown to brown/purple.

E: oh well. It will still be my first mythic because I am sitting on a pile of glory.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I considered getting six of the Bunny packs since I'm swimming in Glory but he just doesn't seem that great now that Knights aren't a huge threat anymore.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

I'm waiting for some arcane mountain because I pulled a Great Maw last week and he seems like he'd be fun to build a team around once he's got his traits

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
The Silent One is one of the few legendary troops I am still missing, and it's in event chests this week. Should I be spending gems on 10-packs of event keys, or am I better off continuing to buy 50-packs of gem chests? The absolute number of keys is pretty low -- 450 gems is only 30 event keys compared to 50 gem keys -- but any legendary I got would be either a celestial traitstone or TSO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

I would ask on the official forum. I'm sure some whales there have compiled drop rates on event chests.