Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I don't think the guns matter at all really. One is as good as another in most situations where people are actually getting killed in this game. Usually you're getting shot from behind, in the side, when you're reloading or stunned or surprised.

E: But they serve an important role as totems for people to blame for victory or defeat, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I've followed the advice from earlier in the thread and unlocked Thermite and Rook as my first two guys, but as I understand it as they're so popular they tend to go quickly.

So who would you suggest I unlock next? Ideally I'd like to go for a couple of people who aren't very popular, so that I get to use them more often and really learn how to use them, but can still make a contribution to my team. If it helps, I didn't really get on with Glaz in his Situation.

Thank you!

I would avoid Pulse, Montagne, IQ, Kapkan and Tachanka because their abilities are very situational or require better teamwork than you'll get out of casual play; everyone else is good.

I'd prioritise getting Blitz (so you have a shield operator), then Mute, Jager/Bandit and Glaz, in any order you want, because those are always useful. They're popular for a reason, and having most of the popular ones means you've always got someone to play.

Make sure you get one operator from each unit before getting a second, since you pay more for the second/third/etc. operator in any given unit. Once you do, Doc, Sledge, Thatcher, Ash and Twitch are some of the less popular operators with good abilities.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 11, 2016

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I've followed the advice from earlier in the thread and unlocked Thermite and Rook as my first two guys, but as I understand it as they're so popular they tend to go quickly.

So who would you suggest I unlock next? Ideally I'd like to go for a couple of people who aren't very popular, so that I get to use them more often and really learn how to use them, but can still make a contribution to my team. If it helps, I didn't really get on with Glaz in his Situation.

Thank you!

Attack:
IQ is literally never taken, she is the only other (besides Ash) speed 3 operator on Attack. As mentioned, she has an LMG with a 50 round drum that reloads like an AR.

Use her to flank and pin people, or just sprint and cover the extreme far angles while your team is making entry. Her gadget is mostly useless, but it can be kind of fun to circle the outside of a building and shoot out the cameras with single pistol shots through window barricades.

Twitch is also less popular, but still gets taken occasionally. Use the shock drone to come in the opposite side of the objective, right before / as your team makes entry. Zap any defenders who are prone / in cover, and watch then act like insane people and run out of cover to hunt the drone. Prioritize mute jammers and bandit batteries, and keep an eye out for any defenders behind cover that get knocked down by your team in a firefight, you can easily taze them to finish the job. When your drone gets killed, kick in the door and murder anyone that's left with your famas.

Defense:
I think I see a pretty even representation from all Defenders, aside from Tachanka and Pulse, but I think those two are the hardest operators to play right.

Personally, I like Jager and Bandit, and don't see them on a team 100% of the time like with Rook, Smoke, and Castle. They both get amazing guns (both the shotgun and the carbine/smg), and are the fastest Defenders (Along with Pulse). They both can drop their gear early, and then sprint off to reinforce ceilings and skulk around the outer edges of a map.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Mute is pretty important, he is pretty common but some groups don't run him.

The he can make castle barricades more effective and can stop drones from getting into the objective. Most people don't play him correctly and are unable to do both. It does take patience and you do have to pick up and redeploy your hammers. I was playing with some goons last night who wouldn't pick him, the objective would be found and then kept wondering how the enemy always knew where they were. Because of this I had to roam as Jaeger, sometimes to great effect.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

All the SAS classes for both Attacker and Defense are good and not always the most popular so you can generally get 1 of them. Also, Thacther is by boy, Defense spends all this time putting down nice stuff and I just ruin it all.

Also Doc is pretty under rated. 3 armor, Mp5/P90, self rez. Being able to revive allies at 75HP when the opportunity comes up is just a bonus if it happens.

a cat irl
Feb 13, 2010
I love Sledge and Smoke cuz they can carry both a shotgun and a laser-accurate SMG as a secondary. It's really easy to get caught out with a pump shotty but if you're skulking and sneaking, it's great for when you get the drop on a guy or two. Also it's p decent at denying entry. The SMG is great for headshots, cameras, gadgets, etc.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I would avoid Pulse, Montagne, IQ, Kapkan and Tachanka because their abilities are very situational or require better teamwork than you'll get out of casual play; everyone else is good.

There is nothing situational about Pulse. You have first shot at the enemy any time they are breaching or turning the corner, he has an amazing shotgun and ok smg and has c4 and three speed so you can flank teams in a second.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

keyframe posted:

There is nothing situational about Pulse. You have first shot at the enemy any time they are breaching or turning the corner, he has an amazing shotgun and ok smg and has c4 and three speed so you can flank teams in a second.

Yeah, his only downside is when playing with a non communicating team. He does really well on teams that communicate.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

VulgarandStupid posted:

The he can make castle barricades more effective and can stop drones from getting into the objective. Most people don't play him correctly and are unable to do both. It does take patience and you do have to pick up and redeploy your hammers. I was playing with some goons last night who wouldn't pick him, the objective would be found and then kept wondering how the enemy always knew where they were. Because of this I had to roam as Jaeger, sometimes to great effect.

Castle barricades are more a hindrance than help as a defender on anything but hostage maps. You can't shoot through them but they can deploy anything they want on it (fuze, breach, thermite) without worrying about being killed.

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved

Party Plane Jones posted:

Castle barricades are more a hindrance than help as a defender on anything but hostage maps. You can't shoot through them but they can deploy anything they want on it (fuze, breach, thermite) without worrying about being killed.

That's why you put them on windows, and jam them with a mute.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Only issue with that is that a sledge or ash can still easily knock them down even when jammed. He just feels to situational and has to many downsides and counters. Better off going rook or doc. My personal favorite though is smoke.

Go watch serenity17 youtube videos on all the operatives, he gives a good breakdown of their weapons, gadgets and play styles.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I think Castles barricades are best if you use them to just Jam up one route rather than Ding up the objective room. Depending on the map though putting it on windows can give your fellow bros time to pop out on the ground and shoot rapellers.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Thank you for all the excellent advice, if the Situations have taught me anything it's that I'm terrible at defending.

I'm going to watch a few videos based on the suggestions here.

Thanks again.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

keyframe posted:

El Jebus posted:

Yeah, his only downside is when playing with a non communicating team. He does really well on teams that communicate.

Yes; I mean, it's almost as if the list I gave had both situational and non-situational abilities I was recommending against because some of them

Lemon Curdistan posted:

require better teamwork than you'll get out of casual play

:v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 11, 2016

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015

Party Plane Jones posted:

Except they just shoot you in the feet if they know what they're doing.

I like Pulse.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

My favorite trick is quick nitro-ing castle barricades when I hear an enemy repeatedly whacking the other side.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Mister Bup posted:

Except they just shoot you in the feet if they know what they're doing.

I like Pulse.

Pulse is great on every level there is some sort of separation in the level.

Sou basically all levels except house and the kill house.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
I was playing with Keshik, jamesray and a few other guys i'm unfamiliar with yesterday and someone said he could see this game go competitive.

If you're looking for competitive-R6 (i'm aware these 2 words sound weird at the moment) it’s not very easy to know where to look at the moment - Most of the player base have only about 2 months of game experience and most of it is being played in custom games, under the radar however last week the finals of G4G was recorded @ http://www.twitch.tv/speedpenguin/v/33971039 **Warning, contain lot's of sacre-bleu. :france:

The stream is like 4 hours long so i haven't watched the whole thing but theres some good plays in there.

The streamer is Kryp, a Spanish player who’s known in CSGO. He’s playing with AERA, a French team, and they face another French team (REVOLT, who happens to be a team where 2 players were accused of hacking in Ranked matches and in the first ESL cup).

It’s a small cup with nothing at stake but pride i guess, but hey the level is good!

a cat irl
Feb 13, 2010
How did they destroy the defuser so fast in the second round? Grenade?

Also thanks a bunch for posting that, I looked for a while when you mentioned it last night but didn't think to look for a stream on twitch.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
You dont need a shield operator when fbi recruit is the best shield. Smoke is the best defender.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

You dont need a shield operator when fbi recruit is the best shield. Smoke is the best defender.

I think his weapon is the worst defender option to be honest. No good sights, and low damage for its firing speed with retarded recoil. Mute has a surprisingly good gun.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Mr.Citrus posted:

I think his weapon is the worst defender option to be honest. No good sights, and low damage for its firing speed with retarded recoil. Mute has a surprisingly good gun.

I've always loved both of Smoke's smg options. Almost as much of a headshot machine as Recruit With a Shield. Every time it seems I start shooting near the guy and it always walks towards the op4 head really quickly. Aim for the chest and hit them in the head with rounds 3-20.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Mr.Citrus posted:

What? The FMG-9 has a great fire rate, and it makes a perfect close-to-midrange gun with a reflex sight. Throw an ACOG on the Mac-11 and use it for long range headshot bursts.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Foehammer posted:

What? The FMG-9 has a great fire rate, and it makes a perfect close-to-midrange gun with a reflex sight. Throw an ACOG on the Mac-11 and use it for long range headshot bursts.

This man knows how to play smoke, I love both of his guns and seem to just magically get headshots with them. Though if I could I would drop the primary gun for two extra clips in the mac-11.

Chocolate
Jun 27, 2011

Clinton1011 posted:

This man knows how to play smoke, I love both of his guns and seem to just magically get headshots with them. Though if I could I would drop the primary gun for two extra clips in the mac-11.

Smoke's smg isn't a particularly great weapon but the main advantage of it is that when paired with the mac-11 you can very quickly get off 40+ bullets. I've been going back and forth between the shotgun and his main smg and both are super viable. Right now though I am really liking his shotgun, I use it as more of a highly situational weapon and use the mac-11 as a primary, if I get in a situation where I shoot the mac dry then just switch to the shotgun, they should be close enough that the shotgun will be a one hit kill. You can also just throw one of the poison smoke's down and just turn around and run the other way and wait to catch them by surprise again.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Chocolate posted:

You can also just throw one of the poison smoke's down and just turn around and run the other way and wait to catch them by surprise again.

So play Smoke like a squid. Got it.

Get surprised? Gas grenade out. Run around and flank.

Window broken? Gas grenade out. Run around and flank.

Hear a shield? Gas grenade out. Run around and ... gently caress, who barricaded the door between the bombs again?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
The secret to Smoke is that he gets both a shotgun and SMG at the same time. Shotgun lets you do crawlspaces and other forms of carpentry while the SMG-11 is better than most primary SMGs. Add to that both C4 and gas bombs and he's one of the best defenders for sure.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

El Jebus posted:

So play Smoke like a squid. Got it.

Get surprised? Gas grenade out. Run around and flank.

Window broken? Gas grenade out. Run around and flank.

Hear a shield? Gas grenade out. Run around and ... gently caress, who barricaded the door between the bombs again?

Smoke is amazing if you can survive to the last ~45 seconds of the round with at least 1 of your gas grenades left. When you hear the attacker's footsteps, or get an idea of what approach they are taking to the objective, just drop a big ol' fart right on their plans.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
I've been trying to use Castle barricades on the side rooms of halls that I know the attackers will probably use to dissuade fallback points. Makes it a long back pedal if you decide to reinsert somewhere else.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

So patch and new skins today, and kinda hope we get a peak at the DLC soon?

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
/\ Any patch notes?

Castle is really good if played with mute, we had a good run a couple of days ago where we only mute+castled second floor windows, meaning they had to either ash them or thatcher had to get really good with his grenades (albit from the few times it came up through the floor, which is annoying but whatever), if there's no windows then putting them further out around where kapkin would put his traps is good, most teams when they see a castlecade will just try another route. Also putting your mute charges off-center from the door works well as remember with barricades the operator will allways plant them in the dead center of a single door.

With smoke its allways best to not pre-plant your gas, also watching pubby smokes toss out all their gas grenades like 'no, surely THIS one will get them' *runs out, wastes c4, gets flanked*

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
:frogsiren: OkPlanB fix your loving game -ROBOBALBOA :frogsiren:

For the xth time we got that no sound bug for the whole squad in bank where you could only hear the sprinkler/drone.. Is it me or it's always bank when we're messing around in basement/garage/vault? Also i haven't had a clear idea whether the other team is affected or not.
Gaga, Kramersrant, ROBO, Wolfy..Anyone?

If you think you have specifics steps to repro this poo poo or even if you guys can remember where you were/doing when it happened it could help us isolate it because right now the cause seems to be lost deep in a clusterfuck of code.

You can poke me here, PM, uplay, steam etc.. I'm not hard to reach.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Dead Like Rev posted:

So patch and new skins today, and kinda hope we get a peak at the DLC soon?

We already got a sneak peak in the form of leaked images.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Jehde posted:

We already got a sneak peak in the form of leaked images.

Kinda want more than leaked images, ya know. Guns, abilities, stats...

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAZMvIHWCiM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be71sVHjk9w

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Hard posted:

For the xth time we got that no sound bug for the whole squad in bank where you could only hear the sprinkler/drone.. Is it me or it's always bank when we're messing around in basement/garage/vault? Also i haven't had a clear idea whether the other team is affected or not.

If you think you have specifics steps to repro this poo poo or even if you guys can remember where you were/doing when it happened it could help us isolate it because right now the cause seems to be lost deep in a clusterfuck of code.

i asked the other team and they said they lost audio too. the other thing i can think of was gaga's drone was lodged between a shelf and a wall in the garage and seemed to keep bouncing off whatever boundries involved.

also on bank, i experienced a hard lock when my twitch dropped on top of glaz, who was climbing up from a repel. could be an nvidia driver thing too i guess. i'm on windows 10 with latest drivers and all updates installed.

wolffenstein fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 12, 2016

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Hard posted:

I've played a lot of hours of this and have never had this happen on any map or bank. Not sure if that helps at all.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Hard posted:

When we lost sound, the drone in the wall was the only thing that could be heard and it sounded like it was driving, even though I think the operator was dead. I shot my teammate's drone but the sound kept playing. The sound seemed to be fixed next round.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
edit: ^^
Yeah it fixes itself in between round transition, at least theres that.

BadLlama posted:

I've played a lot of hours of this and have never had this happen on any map or bank. Not sure if that helps at all.

If anything it enforces the fact that it's not 100% and hard to repro :/

wolffenstein posted:

i asked the other team and they said they lost audio too. the other thing i can think of was gaga's drone was lodged between a shelf and a wall in the garage and seemed to keep bouncing off whatever boundries involved.

Ah i don't remember them replying. Thanks, and yeah that drone was doing an awful lot of noise.

ex2: VVV That was exactly it yeah. Drone stuck basically spammed the same sound over and over eventually busting out the allocated memory :ms:

Hard fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Never had that bug, but it sounds(heh) like maybe the drone is getting stuck in such a way that it's hogging all the sound channels by bouncing in place like hundreds of times a second.

No idea what audio engine the game uses, but if you can set priorities on which sounds go through, or limit the drone to like 5 audio procs a second would probably fix it until you find the real reason.

• Locked thread