Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
It’s just meant to be entertaining and it certainly is that. The point is not that he needs to absolutely nail the recipe, the point is watching him struggle through an impossible task.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Vegetable posted:

Gonna get poo poo on for this, but Molly's show is absolutely awful and there's no reason it should get as many views as it does beyond her being a white attractive blond woman. Sure as poo poo I don't think it would get nearly as many views if it was Alex or Rick or even Andy hosting it. The chef makes a big difference in viewership.

This was pretty much the prevailing opinion in the Before Times of this thread. Outside of a couple episodes (ham, caviar) they're pretty dull while being the most contrived, highly produced series on a channel that found success by appearing natural and relatively spontaneous with likeable hosts. Molly's show offers none of those things, imo.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Colonel Whitey posted:

It’s just meant to be entertaining and it certainly is that. The point is not that he needs to absolutely nail the recipe, the point is watching him struggle through an impossible task.

I feel like they should go full Tim & Eric and dub in gross smushing sounds whenever he ruts his fingers around in the dish.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

How Wonderful! posted:

Unfortunately I don't know if this is true. When I was doing my like... "teaching how to teach" poo poo I read a statistic about how over half of college students claim not to have learned anything new about a different culture or gained understanding about cultures other than their own during their education. At first I thought this was unbelievable-- I went to a tiny liberal arts school with a majority white student body but I still learned a poo poo ton making friends from all over, taking seminars about literary traditions I wasn't familiar with, driving for hours with friends to check out kinds of cuisines that were new to me. And I work at a huge urban school with an enormous international student body, food from all over the world within walking distance, including on campus.

But I made a point to informally poll students even just on the level of food after that and was kind of shocked to learn that no, a lot of white kids won't try bulgogi even if they walk by a bulgogi cart every day, they won't poke their heads into the Ethiopian cafeteria on the first floor of the trendy bar they go to, they don't go to the FREE and really tasty Eid thing the campus has every year, they go to the cafeteria and just have pizza or grilled cheese, etc.. I think a lot of people are set in their ways and kind of myopic even about food, an area which immediately rewards going out of one's comfort zone.

I was curious, so I went looking. 53% of american respondents of a survey consider themselves foodies. Of course, that's self selecting and people might think tater tot casserole is adventurous eating.

https://nypost.com/2019/05/28/heres-how-many-americans-consider-themselves-foodies/

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Padma Lakshmi has a new show on Hulu called Taste the Nation. It's mainly about immigration and the food cultures that have come about in the US as a result. That's a bad description, but it makes sense when you watch it.

I watched the first two episodes and seems pretty interesting. Gddamn did I want burritos and sausages afterwards.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Sounds like a lame version of gently caress that’s delicious

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Veskit posted:

Sounds like a lame version of gently caress that’s delicious

gently caress thats delicious is barely a food show. It's a show about people who eat food. But the majority is some weirdo loving poo poo I cant stop watching

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Algorithm suggested this guy to me today. And I'm already fascinated. Anyone aware of him, and if there's anything I should be aware of about the dude?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdWmulnsVQw

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Manuel Calavera posted:

The Algorithm suggested this guy to me today. And I'm already fascinated. Anyone aware of him, and if there's anything I should be aware of about the dude?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdWmulnsVQw

He’s decent, he’s educational, but there was something that bugged me occasionally about it. Maybe his sponsor messages being awkwardly shoehorned in or something. It’s been a while so I can’t exactly remember.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Steve Yun posted:

He’s decent, he’s educational, but there was something that bugged me occasionally about it. Maybe his sponsor messages being awkwardly shoehorned in or something. It’s been a while so I can’t exactly remember.

Awkward advertising, but hey, I get it, adsense doesn't pay poo poo these days.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 20, 2020

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Found a neat channel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S7Bb0Qg-oE

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I enjoy the very PBS presentation... plus the subtle magikarp in the background. It reminds me of when I would just leave the Food twitch channel on pretty much 24/7.

Also goddamn I didn't realize they shut down the food channel on twitch :(

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Dude sounds like a professional voice actor or something

I'm about it tho, history and cooking both rock

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Matty Math-in-sons released a new video for a new video series ? The kitchen looks much more professional then Just a Dash and looks like theres less crew interaction but the editing its still on point and fuckin weird just like his face is without facial hair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGQc-ZNkmzA

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 22, 2020

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Fartington Butts posted:

Padma Lakshmi has a new show on Hulu called Taste the Nation. It's mainly about immigration and the food cultures that have come about in the US as a result. That's a bad description, but it makes sense when you watch it.

I watched the first two episodes and seems pretty interesting. Gddamn did I want burritos and sausages afterwards.

Speaking of Padma, the season of Top Chef that just ended was really good all the way through. It was an All-Stars one so all of the chefs are the best of the best and the challenges are really cool stuff like making a kaiseki meal for Olympic athletes or traveling to restaurants on Jonathan Goldman's last Best of LA list and eating the food and making something inspired by them, and the finale took them to Italy to cook for people with like a bajillion Michelin stars.

Top Chef is easily my favorite competitive reality show, and it's because it's reached the point where interpersonal drama doesn't really happen, the groups they've had the last few seasons have all gotten along really well and helped each other out and made each other better, and like 95% of the food they make is stuff I'd die to eat.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Fartington Butts posted:

Also goddamn I didn't realize they shut down the food channel on twitch :(

Do you mean Hungry or was there another one?

Delita
Jan 6, 2005

Just found him recently due to Youtube algorithm. Really cool presentation and he has multiple Pokemon.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

Do you mean Hungry or was there another one?

Oh poo poo! They changed the name. Used to be twitch.tv/food. Four years ago it was almost entirely Julia & Jacques, Fast Food My Way, A Taste of History, and Cucina Amore. Good to know some of those are still around. Will check it out some more.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Delita posted:

Just found him recently due to Youtube algorithm. Really cool presentation and he has multiple Pokemon.

Yeah, I got the garum vid in my suggestions over the past couple of days. I assume he’s paying for some promotion.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

DC Murderverse posted:

Speaking of Padma, the season of Top Chef that just ended was really good all the way through. It was an All-Stars one so all of the chefs are the best of the best and the challenges are really cool stuff like making a kaiseki meal for Olympic athletes or traveling to restaurants on Jonathan Goldman's last Best of LA list and eating the food and making something inspired by them, and the finale took them to Italy to cook for people with like a bajillion Michelin stars.

Top Chef is easily my favorite competitive reality show, and it's because it's reached the point where interpersonal drama doesn't really happen, the groups they've had the last few seasons have all gotten along really well and helped each other out and made each other better, and like 95% of the food they make is stuff I'd die to eat.

I honestly cant remember the last season of top chef I watched, but when this one came around I had both cable, a DVR, ample time thanks to covid, and a desire to give it another whirl. I have really enjoyed it so far. I havent watched the grand finale yet, but I've really enjoyed it. I think I'll keep watching.

Padma owning people online reminded me that I used to love the show.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Fartington Butts posted:

Oh poo poo! They changed the name. Used to be twitch.tv/food. Four years ago it was almost entirely Julia & Jacques, Fast Food My Way, A Taste of History, and Cucina Amore. Good to know some of those are still around. Will check it out some more.

They removed all the Julia/Jacque stuff a while ago and put up really awful super cringe and it died. Like an old man that potters around the kitchen in slow motion muttering to himself, interspersed with a canned laugh track.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

droll posted:

They removed all the Julia/Jacque stuff a while ago and put up really awful super cringe and it died. Like an old man that potters around the kitchen in slow motion muttering to himself, interspersed with a canned laugh track.

Julia and Jaques are on there right this second, so they havent been binned

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
I thought twitch.tv/food was gone. Nice to hear they brought it back, I stopped Following due to the aforementioned.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, I got the garum vid in my suggestions over the past couple of days. I assume he’s paying for some promotion.

That's a thing?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Resting Lich Face posted:

That's a thing?

Probably? Or there’s ways of gaming the algorithms so your stuff ends up on the front page.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Speaking as a Tuber that's not really a thing aside from making advert videos or being a big company or whatever, generally you can't pay to get boosted. Sometimes the deeply mysterious algorithm* just smiles and blesses you with its love and affection and fills everyone's suggestions with your video.

*this is only half a joke really, there's no way of truly knowing how to get something boosted by YouTube's algorithms beyond having regular old decent SEO optimization and Google won't tell us anything

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Kim Justice posted:

Speaking as a Tuber that's not really a thing aside from making advert videos or being a big company or whatever, generally you can't pay to get boosted. Sometimes the deeply mysterious algorithm* just smiles and blesses you with its love and affection and fills everyone's suggestions with your video.

*this is only half a joke really, there's no way of truly knowing how to get something boosted by YouTube's algorithms beyond having regular old decent SEO optimization and Google won't tell us anything

Yeah, a lot of YouTubers I watch have made a point of saying bluntly that they have no clue how the algorithm works and YouTube doesn't tell them anything about it. Presumably not even what will get a video demonitized.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Wow, stopped following BA on youtube and unplugged from a lot of media because of *gestures broadly*, and I didn't like how they were selling personalities. A coworker told me about Sohla, and gently caress yeah. That Sporkful podcast where she tells Adam Rapaport that he absolutely needs to resign is :black101:. gently caress yes.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

You’re on YouTube, staring at the camera, when all of a sudden you look down. Your dry eyes are seeking relief. You force them to look back at the camera. Your parched eyeballs are in agony as the air moves across them. You have moisture behind your eyelids, but you’re not blinking. Why?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tres Burritos posted:

Wow, stopped following BA on youtube and unplugged from a lot of media because of *gestures broadly*, and I didn't like how they were selling personalities. A coworker told me about Sohla, and gently caress yeah. That Sporkful podcast where she tells Adam Rapaport that he absolutely needs to resign is :black101:. gently caress yes.

It's kind of amazing how loving cool Sohla is.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

She's the best reason to watch BA vids

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The first time I really noticed her was when she made a classic french omelette and it looked picture perfect. Like Heston Blumenthal couldn't do it any better for a cookbook photoshoot.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Eat This Glob posted:

I honestly cant remember the last season of top chef I watched, but when this one came around I had both cable, a DVR, ample time thanks to covid, and a desire to give it another whirl. I have really enjoyed it so far. I havent watched the grand finale yet, but I've really enjoyed it. I think I'll keep watching.

Padma owning people online reminded me that I used to love the show.

yeah Padma's a pro Twitter follow and over the last few years Tom's really gotten into political advocacy through food, he helped raise a bunch of money for restaurant staff during Covid and is starting up a podcast talking about politics and food.

I would like to watch Padma's Hulu show at some point, it's obviously trying to fill the gap left by Anthony Bourdain but from a completely different perspective even as she visits some of the same groups of people. Probably better than the Gordon Ramsey version of that same show that I've seen some commercials for.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Is BA still posting content? Is it from a backlog and nothing new since the strike started?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

droll posted:

Is BA still posting content? Is it from a backlog and nothing new since the strike started?

Nothing has been posted at all on their YouTube channel since the strike started.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I discovered this Indian grandmother who makes giant or huge quantities of food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S44cTOPie-s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnB_7_QZNuE

It's not going to teach you anything but I find it very relaxing.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
No way I'm learning a lot

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

droll posted:

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/recipe-audit

They are taking their time doing the most incredibly baby steps possible.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Grem posted:

This might seem like drudging poo poo-work, but it matters a lot in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

Grem posted:

I feel bad saying this because I've seen people saying it's important to them, but I don't really think it's always necessary to describe the cultural history of foods that are now very common and well-known. I can't really imagine anyone trying to ferment their own kimchi without already knowing what kimchi is, and if you've heard of kimchi then "Korean staple food" is probably the second thing you learned about it after "fermented vegetables." If Bon Appetit does modify all of their recipes to include those details, I also can't imagine including a whole lot of information beyond that. For people who do want to learn more about the history of any of those things or their traditional preparations (like me, back when I didn't know what they were), there're a thousand better sources for that information than BA. If I'm watching a video on BA about making kimchi I'm watching it because the enthusiastic doofus mispronouncing water and bantering with his coworkers is entertaining, not because I expect an exhaustive historical treatise or a completely faithful recreation.

Similarly, I don't necessarily think it's a problem to localize recipes. The "Ode to Halo-Halo" recipe (despite not actually looking that appealing and apparently losing some of the character of the original) doesn't seem that bad to me in concept, since it'd be a lot more difficult for me to get purple yam or nata de coco or saba plantains than it would to use ingredients I probably already have. Even so, if they're doing something that far out there I would still prefer that they also include one recipe that tries to be at least somewhat more faithful to the traditional preparation, since I think it'd be interesting to compare what each component adds to it. They didn't have the option at the time, but now an alternative could be to do it as part of a ""Pro Chefs Make 12 Types of Shaved Ice!" video where the emphasis is on seeing the on-camera personalities express their creativity instead of trying to make a bastardized version of something with cultural significance to a bunch of people. I like the Pok Pok and Fuchsia Dunlop cookbooks for the same reason: the (admittedly very white) authors describe some of the cultural history of most of the recipes (or at least their personal history with them) but the recipes are written to help Americans or Britons who might have a difficult or impossible time sourcing some ingredients or equipment prepare them, or at least prepare something similar. I think the key difference might be that those books at least include information about the originals and include as many of the original ingredients as it's feasible to get.

I guess my biggest complaint about this recipe audit is that it seems like they're initially focusing on something less important than giving Sohla a rightfully deserved show and paying their BIPOC staff equal wages, which they should have done immediately (barring production difficulties caused by covid). The reason that I consider it less important is that I primarily go to Bon Appetit for entertainment rather than topic knowledge because it's never given me any indication that it was a good source of topic knowledge. I also had a somewhat visceral relation to the claim in the article that, "BA has been called out for appropriation, for decontextualizing recipes from non-white cultures, and for knighting ”experts” without considering if that person should, in fact, claim mastery of a cuisine that isn’t theirs." After hearing Priya and Rick's legitimate complaints about getting pigeonholed into making the food that corresponded to their ethnicity and hearing Sohla's story about people refusing to believe that the hamburgers at her and Ham's restaurant didn't have some sort of magic ethnic spices, the idea that people from a specific ethnic background should automatically be considered inherently associated with that cuisine seems pretty gross. I used to get mad at that in earlier seasons of Top Chef where a contestant would say something like, "all my training is in French food and I love to cook it and I think it's the best," and then the judges would come back with the equivalent of, "there wasn't enough soul in your food so maybe you should make more fish and rice like they do in your culture, Asian man."