Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Doesn't say anything about using an Alether potion as a chaser to the berries. :colbert:
That's why it's okay to keep one handful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

anakha posted:

Drop a Laumspur for one Alether, making note to stash our drugs in the monastery after this book.
OK, but you forgot to say whether you wanted to look at some more shops or not. No one voted for the actual choice that lets us continue the story. So I guess I'll make the executive decision and say we're going to keep shopping.

We have 13 Gold Crowns remaining.

The Kingdoms of Terror posted:

You agree to meet the captain in the apothecary in one hour’s time before beginning your exploration of Luyen. Further along the street you notice a dusty shop window full of weapons. Above the door you see a sign.

DEMICO’S WEAPONSHOP—All Weapons Bought & Sold
Shall we enter the weapon shop or keep walking?

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
We Have A Bow And We Wish To Sell It Secondhand.

Just kidding.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Well, we could probably use some more arrows. So enter.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
We're running low on money, so go in and sell the Sommerswerd.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Keep walking. We have enough weapons.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Keep on walking.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Score some replacement arrows

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ratatozsk posted:

Well, we could probably use some more arrows. So enter.
Never hurts to stock up.

The smell of dust and rusty metal wafts in your face as you enter the cluttered weapons shop. All manner of arms are stacked in racks that rise precariously to the ceiling. Their prices are chalked on a circular slate that hangs above the counter.
  • BROADSWORDS—7 Gold Crowns
  • DAGGERS—2 Gold Crowns
  • SHORT SWORDS—3 Gold Crowns
  • WARHAMMERS—6 Gold Crowns
  • SPEARS—5 Gold Crowns
  • MACES—4 Gold Crowns
  • AXES—3 Gold Crowns
  • BOWS—7 Gold Crowns
  • QUARTERSTAVES—3 Gold Crowns
  • SWORDS—4 Gold Crowns
  • ARROWS—2 for 1 Gold Crown
You may purchase any of the above weapons if you have enough money to do so. The shop owner will also buy any weapons that you may already have for 1 Gold Crown less than the price shown on the slate. Mark any changes on your Action Chart before you leave.

At the end of the street you stop to look in the window of a tall, half-timbered shop. It contains a fascinating selection of maps and charts, which detail the various cities and regions of Magnamund. You enter the shop and browse the shelves that line the walls. Three maps in particular attract your interest: a Map of Sommerlund (5 Gold Crowns); a Map of Tekaro (4 Gold Crowns); and a Map of Luyen (3 Gold Crowns).

The maps are Backpack Items. If you wish to buy one or all of them, make the necessary adjustments to your Action Chart before returning to the apothecary.

You help the captain to carry his purchases, which fill two large wooden boxes. As you stagger from the apothecary, he tells you he is anxious to return to the boat without delay. His men are good soldiers but poor sailors—he fears that without his watchful eye and stern command they will forget their work and drink themselves into a stupor. His fears are unfounded, for upon your return to the quay the Kazonara is fitted out and ready to sail.

‘Cast off,’ booms the captain, enjoying the novelty of his new riverboat command. ‘We’ll make Rhem by nightfall.’ The captain is as good as his word. As dusk settles over the Storn, you sail into the horseshoe harbour at Rhem.

The city is choked with people: mercenaries from the north and west, weapon merchants from the east, and ragged refugees from the war-torn south. The captain orders his men to sleep aboard the Kazonara this night, forbidding them to go ashore, for Prince Balonn of Rioma and his mercenary knights are encamped inside the city wall. A bitter and long-standing rivalry exists between the two companies, and the captain wisely wishes to avoid any confrontation.

Rumour has it that a number of the Stornlands’ most powerful princes are gathered in Rhem to plot the defeat of the Slovians. However, the captain believes it is more likely that the robber-barons are conspiring against each other to steal the riches of Tekaro for themselves.

You set sail at first light, bidding farewell to the slender twin-towers of the Rhem citadel, which overshadows the city quay. The Storn flows southwards through steep-sided fields of vines, arranged in endless straight rows like the waves of a green sea. The weather is warm, and you spend the day on deck watching the traffic of refugees heading north along a highway and the strange gigantic toads, the sloats, at work, pulling riverboats and barges upstream.

It is late afternoon when you sight the town of Eula in the distance. You saddle your horse and shoulder your equipment as the Kazonara berths at the town’s wooden pier.

You sense that the time has come for you to decide whether to stay with the captain or to leave his company and ride to Tekaro alone.
Three questions:
  1. What, if anything, will we buy at the weapon shop?
  2. What, if anything, will we buy at the map shop?
  3. Do we stay with the mercenaries or go it alone?

We have four arrows remaining and can carry a total of six. We have 13 Gold Crowns and no free space in our backpack.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Buy arrows, buy map to Takero, stay with the mercenaries.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Comstar posted:

Seconded.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Agree on the arrows and map, but we should go it alone, like some sort of animal that has left its group.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Reload our ammo, we don't need a map, the mercenaries should have one if we tag along and we've got a full inventory anyway.

Broken Box fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 18, 2017

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Comstar posted:

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Since no one has suggested what backpack item we would need to get rid of, drop the the +4 laumspur potion if we take a map.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kangra posted:

arrows and map

Leraika posted:

stay with the mercenaries

Broken Box posted:

drop the the +4 laumspur potion.
We now have 8 Gold Crowns, six arrows and a map of Tekaro. And let's say we donated the laumspur potion to the captain.

You ride into Eula at the captain’s side, his banner emblazoned with a flaming battle-axe fluttering overhead. The town has been turned into a huge army encampment; its people have long since fled to the north, abandoning their homes and livestock to the gold-hungry soldiers. Men from a dozen nations rub shoulders with warriors of less-than-human origins, united by common greed. The captain turns to the south where the highway is clogged with foot soldiers. As you catch your first glimpse of Tekaro, burning beneath a pall of black smoke, your heart sinks. This is where the Lorestone lies, in a city under siege from an army of ten thousand fighting men.

As you approach a tangle of siege-works at the bank of the River Quarl, the captain points to an encampment in a field to your left where a blue flag with a gold eagle flutters in the soot-laden air.

‘Prince Ewevin’s standard,’ he says. ‘The time has come to meet our paymaster.’
For some reason we get another chance to leave the mercenaries here, so will we go our own way or stick with them?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ul-cZyuYq4

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHCO6CRTLT8

Kangra
May 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNCM8IjtQ-o

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AVOpNR2PIs

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I think this is a vote for leaving the mercenaries? I'll go with that.

You ride along a muddy path running the length of a ridge that overlooks a great stone bridge. High stone walls and a fortified gatehouse rise steeply from the river bank, and the only access to the city is across the bridge.

You stare at the battlements of Tekaro with growing despair, for they bristle with archers and cauldrons of molten lead. The burnt-out hulks of siege towers and the bodies of dead soldiers lie strewn in heaps before the battered city gate. From where you are you can see the cathedral spire silhouetted in the glow of innumerable fires in the centre of Tekaro. If it were not for this accursed war you would be in the crypt in less than an hour.

You see that before you the path dips steeply towards a line of tents erected behind a wall of earth and logs. They overflow with the wounded from countless assaults across the bridge.

The path ends at the point where the Rivers Storn and Quarl converge in a V-shaped bank. Ogron engineers and carpenters are busy at work constructing pontoons for floating bridges, which look like enclosed rowing boats and are destined to be used to cross the river further downstream.

Staring out across the water, you notice a dark shadow like the entrance to a cave at the base of the city wall. After concentrating for a few moments, you find you can make out the dull criss-cross of metal bars. It is a sewer outfall.
Do we want to ask the Ogrons about the sewer, steal a pontoon to try to cross the river, or try to swim across?

Had we chosen to stay with the mercenaries we'd have been given a third opportunity to leave them.

According to the Lone Wolf wiki, Ogrons are "blue-skinned, hulking giants who are notoriously dim-witted. They are well suited for hard labor as they are physically strong, capable of spliting logs with their bare hands."

If we had the discipline of Curing we'd have been able to stop at the tents and help some of the wounded if we wanted to.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Yo, my dudes, what about that sewer grate over yonder?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ask the Ogrons.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Can't hurt to ask.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

anakha posted:

Can't hurt to ask.

Yes.
Let's try diplomacy, for once.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Kingdoms of Terror" posted:

‘You’re looking at the “Hell-hole”,’ says an Ogron. ‘When the siege began, Prince Ewevin sent ten humans in there to find out where it leads. When they never came back he sent ten Ogrons in. Ain’t seen none of ’em since!’

Another Ogron, who is splitting a log with his bare hands, overhears the conversation. ‘We’ve heard noises in the “Hell-hole” late at night,’ he says slyly, ‘horrible noises.’ He draws a fat finger across his blue-black throat before returning to his work.
Well, that's encouraging. Should we ask the Ogrons if we can borrow a pontoon, or just try to swim across?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Let's 'borrow' a boat.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Borrowing a boat sounds much safer than swimming.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Borrow a Boat, we'll give it back once done, we promise.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
We don’t need no bote. Swim.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Pooncha posted:

We don’t need no bote. Swim.
Turns out we can't get one anyway. You can steal a pontoon if you don't talk to the Ogrons, but once you've spoken to them they're paying attention to you and won't let you take one.

The water is freezing cold. It saps your strength, and you find it increasingly harder to swim against the strong converging river currents. Eventually, you reach the rocky bank and stagger ashore near the sewer outfall. Unless you have the Magnakai Discipline of Nexus, you lose 1 ENDURANCE point due to the cold.

Endurance: 31/32.

There is a gaping hole in the criss-crossed bars, large enough for you to pass through with ease. The fetid water that is combed by this grille contains all manner of filth, a veritable feast for rats and vermin. However, as you wade deeper into the tunnel, you gradually realize that the sewer is completely free of rats and, in fact, seems to be totally devoid of all life. Circular chutes appear at regular intervals in the tiled ceiling, but they are far too small and slippery to climb. Fifteen minutes after entering the sewer, you arrive at a major junction where two new channels flow into the main course.

Healing: +1 EP (32/32).

In the dim light of the sewer you can just discern the outlines of the curtain wall and the streets of Tekaro on your map. The cathedral is right in the centre of the city, approximately half a mile from the point where the two rivers meet, and lying due east of the point at which you entered the sewer. You fold the map and set off again towards your objective.

A hundred yards along the passage you see a flight of stone steps ascending to a stone trapdoor set flush with the ceiling.
Do we investigate the trapdoor or stay on task and continue towards the cathedral?

Without the map we'd have had to guess which way to go and potentially either died or permanently lost the Sommerswerd. And in case anyone had, like me, forgotten why we're aiming for the cathedral, our old friend Gwynian told us back in Varetta that that's where the lorestone is.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

The trapdoor is obviously a trap. Let's check it out.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Continue forward.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Onward ho!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I won't be taking part in this book as I'm still playing it, but allow me to summarise: it can gently caress right off. There's an instadeath at practically every turn and some of them hit you if you do sensible things.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Last time we went into a trapdoor it was a deadly trap. To the Cathedral!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jedit posted:

I won't be taking part in this book as I'm still playing it, but allow me to summarise: it can gently caress right off. There's an instadeath at practically every turn and some of them hit you if you do sensible things.
Can't say I'd noticed it being particularly bad in that regard. Not like book two, for example, which has more than one unavoidable luck roll that can kill you and the worst dead-man-walking scenario in the series.

Guy Fawkes posted:

Last time we went into a trapdoor it was a deadly trap. To the Cathedral!
Actually that was the time before. The last trapdoor we saw led into the sewers of Barrakeesh.

Less than fifty yards along the channel, another passage joins the main flow from the right.
Do we carry on straight ahead or turn right?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Second sewer on the right, straight on to the cathedral!

I really hope a side path doesn't have something we need to prevent dead man walking, but I can't remember and probably shouldn't say even if I did.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Straight ahead, follow the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Straight ahead.