Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

GoldStandardConure posted:

gently caress i love our commie health system

pay for my organs you loving peasants! pay for them!!!

Gladly

:wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

cohsae posted:

http://highline.huffingtonpost.com/articles/en/poor-millennials/

Good article for the next time someone says millenials are the worst. Also good for making you want to leave this mortal coil because world is a gently caress

A line in this article really stood out:

quote:

Thirty years ago, she says, you could walk into any hotel in America and everyone in the building, from the cleaners to the security guards to the bartenders, was a direct hire, each worker on the same pay scale and enjoying the same benefits as everyone else. Today, they’re almost all indirect hires, employees of random, anonymous contracting companies: Laundry Inc., Rent-A-Guard Inc., Watery Margarita Inc.

You notice this in hospitals too. Sir Charles Gardiner Hospital still employs all its own cleaners, kitchen staff, orderlies etc and while it has its problems, its a good hospital to be in.

Fiona Stanley Hospital has outsourced everything it can and the place is a loving trainwreck and I hate it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Interesting video of the day, ABC posted a clip from 1977 on gun control which has a journalist walking up and down the street carrying a rifle to see peoples reactions.

https://www.facebook.com/abcnews.au/videos/vb.72924719987/10157789312624988

Just ignore the comments which are filled with old people blaming gun control on multiculturalism.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

cohsae posted:

Good article for the next time someone says millenials are the worst. Also good for making you want to leave this mortal coil because world is a gently caress

What the gently caress, how is a 35-year-old a millenial? I know there's no official definition but I've always thought millenials were people born in the late 90s/early 00s. Also that article is completely unreadable thanks to all the fancy scrolling poo poo and the print version is broken/non-existent.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
"Video games are the opium of the people" - Karl Marx, probably

cheese-cube posted:

What the gently caress, how is a 35-year-old a millenial? I know there's no official definition but I've always thought millenials were people born in the late 90s/early 00s.

Then you thought wrong because it's people who grew up/came of age around the turn of the millennium, so those born early 80s-early 90s.

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Dec 15, 2017

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

cheese-cube posted:

What the gently caress, how is a 35-year-old a millenial? I know there's no official definition but I've always thought millenials were people born in the late 90s/early 00s. Also that article is completely unreadable thanks to all the fancy scrolling poo poo and the print version is broken/non-existent.

No, millenials are the current in vogue name for gen Y, so like early-mid 80s through to late 90s birthdate.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Definitions for generations don't really get settled until we have the hindsight of history, but most times I see Millennia used it goes up to mid 90's birth. I think that will end up sticking long term as the next generation will be those whose first solid memories are around/after 9/11. Between that and the GFC they will be the first generation since WWII who came of age in a time when they had less opportunities and more perceived threats than their parents.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Mad Katter posted:

Video games are pretty cheap entertainment compared to movies, live music, craft beer, good restaurants, road cycling and all the other poo poo I waste my money on.

Road cycling is pretty cheap if you don't go too far along the inflection point on prices where it goes from prosumer to dentist-tier

Also sell your car and commute on said road bike

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

norp posted:

Road cycling is pretty cheap if you don't go too far along the inflection point on prices where it goes from prosumer to dentist-tier

We still need our car, but I save around $1,500 a year by riding rather than taking the bus.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

hiddenmovement posted:

Don't buy console games buy PC based indie titles they cost peanuts, are just as entertaining and will usually run on the under specced potato you bought from msy

Please don't dox me.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

norp posted:

Yeah, I have a bike that I ride to the pub and used to take to work every day. I'm only a 15 minute walk now so it's not really worth it to ride.

You're right though, it's fairly reasonable compared to other interests. I just spend too much buying new kit,

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Box of Bunnies posted:

Then you thought wrong because it's people who grew up/came of age around the turn of the millennium, so those born early 80s-early 90s.

Solemn Sloth posted:

No, millenials are the current in vogue name for gen Y, so like early-mid 80s through to late 90s birthdate.

Well poo poo. Maybe it would be easier to only have two groups: "loving boomers" and "everyone else"

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Turnbull wants to deny compensation resulting from the royal commission to anyone who has been imprisoned.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

Turnbull wants to deny compensation resulting from the royal commission to anyone who has been imprisoned.

This is a joke right?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

hooman posted:

This is a joke right?

quote:

Malcolm Turnbull says he understands the argument that child sex abuse survivors who have done jail time may have committed their crimes as a result of their suffering, but reiterated that it remains government policy to deny compensation to people convicted of serious offences.

Child sex abuse royal commissioner Justice Peter McClellan has presented the commission’s findings to Governor-General Sir Peter Cosgrove, after five years of hearing costing $500 million.

Sexual abuse survivors were present for the ceremony at Government House in Canberra.

The Governor-General accepted the report, signing a letter which officially dispatches it to the federal government.

“I thank you, commissioner and all Royal Commission staff for their work,” he told Justice McClellan.

Attorney-General George Brandis and Social Services Minister Christian Porter are expected to respond to the report later today.

More than 15,000 people contacted the commission to share their experiences of abuse, more than 8000 of them spoke personally with the commissioner about the trauma it caused, and approximately 2500 cases have now been referred to police.

Mr Turnbull said it was government policy that people who had been convicted of offences which involved jail time would not be eligible for compensation as part of the redress scheme, but indicated that he understood the argument for compensating such people and that those with views on the matter should make submissions to the relevant parliamentary inquiry.

“I understand that argument, but equally, providing you can understand how many people would be uncomfortable with and opposed to people who have committed serious offences then being provided compensation by governments,” the Prime Minister told 3AW.

Asked whether the government’s decision on the matter was final, Mr Turnbull said, “No.”

“We are endeavouring to ensure that the redress scheme is accepted across the country by states and institutions, we’re confident it will be, and obviously we want to get bipartisan support,” he said.

“There is an inquiry that’s underway, and if people have any submissions they want to make they can go onto the parliament website. The closing date is the 2nd of February.”

Mr Turnbull said he had not yet had time to read the report.

“It will be published today. It’s got I believe over 400 recommendations. We’ll obviously consider them, read them very carefully,” he said.

“Obviously there’s been recommendations made already, which have been acted on in respect of redress, in respect of background checks and so forth.

“I just want to thank the commissioners for their dedicated work, headed by Peter McLellan of course, the chief commissioner, the chairman in effect, and I wanted to say how much we all admire and how much we should thank the survivors who courageously told their stories.”

Independent senator Derryn Hinch says he has been asked by Mr Turnbull to chair a parliamentary committee overseeing the response to the royal commission, but Mr Turnbull said he had not made the appointment.

“I’ve spoken to Derryn about all of these issues, but I haven’t, the chairmanship of the committee is not something that’s been finalised,” Mr Turnbull said.

“I just want to say Derryn’s track record in the way he’s stood up for children is an example to all of us, and we were really assisted by him in taking the very strong measures which are now in operation which basically take the passports away from Australians who’ve been convicted of offences against children.”

‘Those responsible need to pay just compensation’

Labor social services spokeswoman Jenny Macklin called on the government to show the leadership that those who have been sexually abused in institutions are looking for and take the recommendations seriously.

“I think the way in which the royal commissioners went about their task was extraordinary,” Ms Macklin told Sky News.

“The way in which they made themselves available to the survivors of child sexual abuse, allowed people to have private sessions where they could sometimes for the first time say what had happened to them in a safe environment where they were believed.

“As so many survivors have said this has enabled them to find their voice for the first time and to start the process of healing.”

Ms Macklin called on states and institutions to commit to the redress scheme.

“We have to have all of the states and the institutions responsible for the horrific child sexual abuse in the redress scheme, and what’s extremely disappointing about the redress scheme legislation that the federal government has put into the parliament is that not one state, not one institution has so far joined the redress scheme,” she said.

“First and foremost those who did the abusing, those who were responsible for the abuse, those who covered it up, need to come into the redress scheme and pay just compensation.

“It’s also the case that the federal government has put forward legislation that would see the cap on the level of redress at a lower level than that recommended by the royal commission.

“I just can’t see any justification for a lower level of compensation.

“The royal commission’s recommendations on the redress scheme should be implemented and the federal government should make sure that the redress scheme is really delivering in the way the royal commission recommended.”

Ms Macklin also urged institutions to make the necessary changes to ensure abuse cannot happen again.

“Some (institutions) are, some sadly I think are not,” she said.

“Some as others have said are more inclined to listen to their insurance companies and their lawyers rather than doing what they should be doing which is acknowledging the terrible wrongs that have been done, the way in which they, the institutions covered it up, and they must now come forward, take responsibility for the crimes that were committed and pay just compensation.”

Ms Macklin also paid tribute to former prime minister Julia Gillard for setting up the royal commission.

“I was in touch with her yesterday to let her know that Justice McLellan from the Royal Commission had particularly acknowledged Julia Gillard’s remarks when she established the royal commission,” she said.

“It was enormously important that Julia showed the leadership she did, that she took the decision that needed to be made to establish this royal commission that has now exposed the terrible tragedy, both a tragedy for our nation but in some ways more importantly the terrible tragedy for so many individuals whose lives have been so damaged, and I thank Julia myself but I know many, many thousands of others thank her very personally.”

Dreyfus ‘disappointed’ no senior Catholic officials came to yesterday’s final hearing

Labor legal affairs spokesman Mark Dreyfus said survivors should be disappointed that no senior officials from the Catholic Church appeared at yesterday’s final commission hearing.

“Of course they should. I was very disappointed to see that no senior officials from the Catholic Church turned up,” he told ABC radio.

“The Catholic Church has been at the heart of thousands of the stories and the referrals to criminal prosecution authorities.

“In other respects the response of the Catholic Church has been appropriate in participating, but they should have turned up yesterday.”

Mr Dreyfus said Labor was disappointed at how long the federal government had taken to act on the redress report of the royal commission which was delivered in September 2015 in the hope that the would be able to act on it in time for the commission to be able to comment on it in its final report.

“That hasn’t happened. The government’s only just now introduced legislation to set off the redress scheme, and as yet not a single state or institution has signed up,” Mr Dreyfus said.

“That should not the speed, that is taking two years to act on those recommendations about redress. That should not be the speed with which governments respond. We need much quicker action than that.”

Mr Dreyfus said Labor was concerned about “a number of elements” of the redress legislation, including the ban on compensation for people convicted of serious crimes.

“The redress legislation has got a number of exceptions which we find concerning,” he said.

“You mentioned one there, another’s for out of home care, but as Bill Shorten said yesterday, I don’t think we should be creating two classes of victim, and that’s seemingly what the government has done with the way in which it’s framed the redress scheme.

“We are going to continue to look at the way this redress scheme is proposed and how it’s working, but it needs to be a truly national redress scheme that looks after all survivors at the moment it doesn’t seem to be that.”

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
https://twitter.com/MarriedAU/status/941209849676808192

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

DON DOXX ME :argh:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Daily terror has a poll out saying it's 51-49 for the liberals in Bennelong.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Daily terror has a poll out saying it's 51-49 for the liberals in Bennelong.

That's well within the margin of error and based on the right-leaning inaccuracy of recent close polls in QLD and WA state elections, there is plenty of reason to believe this could go to the ALP.

Conversely if it doesn't, we should nuke the electorate from orbit.

How the gently caress could you honestly, genuinely vote for these dogfucking clowns?

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

I have no idea how this show works but I'm guessing he gets pegged during episode 7.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/941627580603555840

https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/941630031536693248

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Polling companies can only poll English speakers.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
Radio just said that the counting in Bennelong is following the polling, looks like Mal lives to gutlessly not fight another day.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
The polls opened literally ten minutes ago. There’s no counting.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Tasmantor posted:

Radio just said that the counting in Bennelong is following the polling, looks like Mal lives to gutlessly not fight another day.

are you from the future?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

John Howard cyborg travels back in time to warn goons about Bennelong.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Could it be an attempt to sway the voting? Like how in the US they're not allowed to report on results before a certain time.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
lmao a guy just came through with two small dogs and a lib volunteer scared them right in front of a news camera

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
Must have heard it wrong she just said he looked 2 points ahead.

Also I'm in Melbourne so I don't think they are trying to affect the vote

Tasmantor fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 15, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
They're bussing us in from Melbourne to vote

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Why are we buying less stuff? :thunk:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

Cos we have to spend more money on retro computers and consoles due to the huge price increases in that market.

ACCC do something about it

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
https://twitter.com/dril/status/384408932061417472?s=17

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

cohsae posted:

This article is a must read even if you think you already know everything on the topic.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Anidav posted:

I looked up the author on Google and they look exactly like the kind of clueless fuckwit (upper middle class boomer) who would ask that question:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/earshot/maria-tickle/7847942

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

DancingShade posted:

I looked up the author on Google and they look exactly like the kind of clueless fuckwit (upper middle class boomer) who would ask that question:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/earshot/maria-tickle/7847942

Is the author Bernard Salt?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

cohsae posted:

Jesus Christ.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I went to emporium in Melbourne yesterday evening to try on some dress shirts. Employees vastly outnumbered shoppers on the Friday night before Christmas. Fuckng ghost town. Myer and David Jones weren't much better, the bottom floor of Myer was full but I think that's only because it acts as a throughway connecting bourke and lonsdale.

Tldr economy hosed all the shopping centers are doomed

And ffs don't buy those retro consoles get a logitech f310, install an emulator plug your laptop into the telly via HDMI. Put the money into your super instead, the gubment will match it (I think)

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Counterpoint, I went to Indooroopilly shopping centre last week and couldn't loving move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hiddenmovement posted:

I went to emporium in Melbourne yesterday evening to try on some dress shirts. Employees vastly outnumbered shoppers on the Friday night before Christmas. Fuckng ghost town. Myer and David Jones weren't much better, the bottom floor of Myer was full but I think that's only because it acts as a throughway connecting bourke and lonsdale.

Tldr economy hosed all the shopping centers are doomed

And ffs don't buy those retro consoles get a logitech f310, install an emulator plug your laptop into the telly via HDMI. Put the money into your super instead, the gubment will match it (I think)

Yeah but if you earn less than 33k (I think) for the tier one co contribution, good luck with putting extra money into your super account. The next tier is 50 which I guess is ok and you get a tax concession if you're above that level, but still, 50k is pretty meagre and I can't imagine many people are able to put meaningful amounts into their super from that income.

• Locked thread