Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i'm the one dingus still using password safe how does it rate?

it was dogshit 10 years ago when work forced me to use it and I am amazed the thing isn't dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

is it normal for CTO's to be morons, because ours thinks SHA-256 is the "most secure encryption" and we should use it to hash passwords because "it's what bitcoin uses"

i mean at least he actually listened to me when i told him very nicely what an idiot he was and now we use bcrypt if we have to handle passwords at all

tell him about sha384 and blow his loving mind

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shame Boy posted:

is it normal for CTO's to be morons, because ours thinks SHA-256 is the "most secure encryption" and we should use it to hash passwords because "it's what bitcoin uses"

i mean at least he actually listened to me when i told him very nicely what an idiot he was and now we use bcrypt if we have to handle passwords at all

at a big enough place it's normal sure

if you need to compromise you can go with pbkdf-2 using sha-256 and like 100,000 iterations, it's NIST-approved and it is using sha-256

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
nadim is back

https://twitter.com/isislovecruft/status/1098270385148022784

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

holy poo poo, I haven’t heard that name in so long

And he’s a sex criminal? :(

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

whouldathunkit?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

drat, both mIRC and WinRAR vuln disclosures on the same day

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

is WinRAR more people find flaws in the encrypted archive implementation or something that could actually result in code execution?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

is WinRAR more people find flaws in the encrypted archive implementation or something that could actually result in code execution?
code execution
https://twitter.com/NadavGrossman/status/1098223116734685184
there's a lucrative market in auditing programs that security researchers would never use in a thousand years, the problem is finding them

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I think the latest one is code execution and has apparently been there for over 15 years or something.

e: fb ^^^ and yep.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i do wonder what word 'lucrative' is an autocorrrect of in that sentence

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

in other news, https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/02/googles-nest-security-system-shipped-with-a-secret-microphone/

quote:

Google gave a statement to Business Insider yesterday, saying, “The on-device microphone was never intended to be a secret and should have been listed in the tech specs. That was an error on our part.” According to the company, "the microphone has never been on and is only activated when users specifically enable the option.”

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

at a big enough place it's normal sure

if you need to compromise you can go with pbkdf-2 using sha-256 and like 100,000 iterations, it's NIST-approved and it is using sha-256

this originally came up because i caught this in a design meeting and mentioned that passwords should be hashed over thousands of iterations using an algorithm specifically designed to handle it and he was like "but why, bitcoin only does it two times to make it extra secure and it's, like, unhackable! why would you need more than that?"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

"Getting caught was an error on our part.”

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

code execution
https://twitter.com/NadavGrossman/status/1098223116734685184
there's a lucrative market in auditing programs that security researchers would never use in a thousand years, the problem is finding them

lol oh joy this is going to cascade in to dozen of AV engines just like every time this happens

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

So after reading through the writeup, I'm going to reiterate what I've said a few times to anyone doing security risk assessments: run all their libraries and binaries through get-pesecurity https://github.com/NetSPI/PESecurity and raise holy hell if any component of their product is at minimum not opting in to dep, aslr, sehop, and code signing. The first three are typically sufficient the stop these types of vulns with the application just crashing instead of executing arbitrary code (signing is nice to detect tampering), or at least delay a determined attacker. If its a newer product I would also be requiring code guard opt-ins as well. You can mitigate against poo poo products by either installing EMET or using the new security center stuff in the later win10 builds to explicitly mitigate known poo poo code but that's playing wack-a-mole and I would only recommend it for your most critical systems because maintenance of it can be painful

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Proteus Jones posted:

"Getting caught was an error on our part.”

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i do wonder what word 'lucrative' is an autocorrrect of in that sentence
lucrative

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

So after reading through the writeup, I'm going to reiterate what I've said a few times to anyone doing security risk assessments: run all their libraries and binaries through get-pesecurity https://github.com/NetSPI/PESecurity and raise holy hell if any component of their product is at minimum not opting in to dep, aslr, sehop, and code signing. The first three are typically sufficient the stop these types of vulns with the application just crashing instead of executing arbitrary code (signing is nice to detect tampering), or at least delay a determined attacker. If its a newer product I would also be requiring code guard opt-ins as well. You can mitigate against poo poo products by either installing EMET or using the new security center stuff in the later win10 builds to explicitly mitigate known poo poo code but that's playing wack-a-mole and I would only recommend it for your most critical systems because maintenance of it can be painful

CFG should be mandatory for that list too, there's no practical reason other than DRM obfuscation bullshit to disable it.

Also EMET and more is just a cmdlet now, easy to use. Set-ProcessMitigation

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Daman posted:

Also EMET and more is just a cmdlet now, easy to use. Set-ProcessMitigation

Yeah, and you have GPO options for it too but we're going to be stuck with server2012 systems for a while and the earliest win10/2016 builds still needed emet unless you wanted to be manually setting reg keys and other nonsense.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Schadenboner posted:

:laffo: if you let your laptop "sleep" or "hibernate". Pull the battery, hold down the power button to discharge the capacitors, turn 360 degrees and walk the gently caress away.

Not for any security reason, mind you. Just because: gently caress you laptops! If "on" and "off" is good enough for every other computer you don't get special power states just because you're skinny.

desktops can sleep/hibernate too :confused:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

you can't pull the battery on modern laptops anymore because gently caress you

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

lol just lol if your suspend and hibernate processes don't encrypt all of your memory

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Security Fuckup Megathtead - v17.0 - Getting caught was an error on our part.

Mods, please

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

lol just lol if your suspend and hibernate processes don't encrypt all of your memory
hibernation is fine since it saves contents of ram to disk and cuts power. lol if you use sleep mode though. double lol if you're not using a pre-boot auth pin.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

there was a talk that i believe was posted in this thread (or its progenitors) a while back about hacking airline booking backends (and i think through exposed portals for travel agents??) including being able to get any persons boarding passes and stuff like that

anyone remember this?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

there was a talk that i believe was posted in this thread (or its progenitors) a while back about hacking airline booking backends (and i think through exposed portals for travel agents??) including being able to get any persons boarding passes and stuff like that

anyone remember this?

karsten nohl from 33c, maybe? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjRkpQever4

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

flakeloaf posted:

if you want to take an apple's password from scratch ram, you must first create the universal system-level process
Damnit now this is stuck in my head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

this seems right

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

actionjackson posted:

hey is this video accurate because I can't understand all this techno-moon language

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O13G5A5w5P0
he's technobabbling a bit, but he's pretty accurate. it seems to me like he just found out about it and is a mix of disgusted and playing up his reaction to try to get it out there like the redditbomb did and force someone to do something. i clicked a few legit exercise and bodybuilding videos on the front page and he's right that videos of young girls start showing up within a few clicks, but i don't care to look further because seeing it in his video was bad enough.

someone call anderson cooper and get him on the case.

Shame Boy posted:

is it normal for CTO's to be morons
yes

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
that vid is entirely plausible imo, its essentially the same complaint as with the creepy animated childrens videos from 2017

if you leave the recommender/autoplay thing to its own devices then it will quickly steer you towards certain local minima in the 'space of videos' depending on where you start, which you wouldn't stumble on otherwise. forget to close youtube after watching one instructional breast exam video and you will wake up the following day surrounded by dangerously horny teenage boys from india

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Rufus Ping posted:

forget to close youtube after watching one instructional breast exam video and you will wake up the following day surrounded by dangerously horny teenage boys from india

That sounds like a shortcut at least a few people would enjoy though.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

HEY PETER MAN IT'S THE BREAST EXAMS ON YOUTUBE

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
One of the really cool things about twitter and every other social media site is that everyone outsources their human moderation judgement to the philippines which is a country that elected duterte.

I unironically think thats one of the causes of the rise of the alt right.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/hey-wanna-see-some-nazi-poo poo/

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

can any android touchers riddle me this one please

https://twitter.com/hilare_belloc/status/1098382700841500672

mystes
May 31, 2006

Rufus Ping posted:

can any android touchers riddle me this one please

https://twitter.com/hilare_belloc/status/1098382700841500672
The second one isn't just a list of all the permissions that the app asks for based on its manifest file?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Dunno. Could be

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

mystes posted:

The second one isn't just a list of all the permissions that the app asks for based on its manifest file?

yeah, is it this?

one other wrinkle is the android API level. prior to android API 23 (i.e. Android 6.0) the user is given an all-or-nothing permission list upon installing an app. you either accept all the permissions the app says it might want to access, or you don't install the app. if you have a device that is API 23 or higher, and the app is also compiled with API 23 or higher, you aren't given this list upon app installation, and are instead asked (similar to iOS) when an app wants to use a "sensitive" permission

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Methanar posted:

One of the really cool things about twitter and every other social media site is that everyone outsources their human moderation judgement to the philippines which is a country that elected duterte.

I unironically think thats one of the causes of the rise of the alt right.

Cheap onshore alternative is the American South