Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Impressive that they kept their cards so close to their chest that they were able to pay something off from all the way back in like 3.1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

I think the only thing they could have done more is set that scene to an arrangement of Eyes On Me or something.

Unless I’m mistaken, the music was a medley that had Eyes on Me as part of the piece

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Coolwhoami posted:

Unless I’m mistaken, the music was a medley that had Eyes on Me as part of the piece

Eyes On Me is absolutely in the mix. I should know, I played the end of FFVIII last weekend, retained it to the point I could recognize all the shot-for-shot references, and definitely reflexively hummed along when Eyes On Me came in.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 11, 2020

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

the limsa stuff makes me think it'll be the last time we have a focus on the grand companies for quite a while

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Skeletome posted:

the limsa stuff makes me think it'll be the last time we have a focus on the grand companies for quite a while

Assuming Fandaniel and Zenos don't drive a wedge between the burgeoning alliance with whatever they are planning.

Senator Drinksalot fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 11, 2020

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

The second boss of Matoya's Relict was totally created by Y'shtola, right?

If you take her into the dungeon, before the fight she says something like: "It's still here?"

And after that fight, she's like: "A familiar created by amateur goes wild."

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Ither posted:

The second boss of Matoya's Relict was totally created by Y'shtola, right?

If you take her into the dungeon, before the fight she says something like: "It's still here?"

And after that fight, she's like: "A familiar created by amateur goes wild."

If Alphi is there, she says “finally, closure.” And Alph remarks that it must be hers.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Kerrzhe posted:

why does e12 boss need so many boobs though

actually

they're chest-nuts :haw:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

that's a weird place to hold your bull testicles not gonna lie

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's all connected, don't you see?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Wow, the Nier questline really does have the ability to flip the entire story on its head with just one reveal, huh?

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

M.c.P posted:

If Alphi is there, she says “finally, closure.” And Alph remarks that it must be hers.

Oh, really?

Guess I got to level up my trusts :smithicide: and run the dungeon again.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Ither posted:

Oh, really?

Guess I got to level up my trusts :smithicide: and run the dungeon again.

Always run trusts for the story clear, that way you can see most of the dialogue without needing them leveled.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Cleretic posted:

Wow, the Nier questline really does have the ability to flip the entire story on its head with just one reveal, huh?

The following depicts players responding to this quest depending on how far back their knowledge of Yoko Taro games goes.

None: “Huh.”

Automata: “Oh, they’re androids? Or something like that. Of course it wouldn’t be so simple.”

Gestalt/Replicant: “Yeeeah, this is gonna end badly.

Drakengard: “I.Can.Hear.A.Sound.”

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DrakePegasus posted:

The following depicts players responding to this quest depending on how far back their knowledge of Yoko Taro games goes.

None: “Huh.”

Automata: “Oh, they’re androids? Or something like that. Of course it wouldn’t be so simple.”

Gestalt/Replicant: “Yeeeah, this is gonna end badly.

Drakengard: “I.Can.Hear.A.Sound.”

FF14 won't have child cannibalism or a woman dooming the world by committing suicide after her brother rejects her incestuous sexual advances, though, so meh.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

BisbyWorl posted:

Always run trusts for the story clear, that way you can see most of the dialogue without needing them leveled.

I did. Ran it with G'raha, Y'shtola, and Alisaie.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Cythereal posted:

FF14 won't have child cannibalism or a woman dooming the world by committing suicide after her brother rejects her incestuous sexual advances, though, so meh.

Did she ever try to sleep with Caim? I thought it just got revealed that she was horny for him and he went “gross” so she killed herself

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
What a strange coincidence that the source of the world's destruction leading to the splintering and all the trouble we needed to face so far is introduced as A Sound / Noise in the same expansion that brought writing from Yoko Taro into the game :thunk:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Look I'm just saying I've had the Cardinal Virtues being caused by White Chlorination Syndrome for a while now.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Eimi posted:

Look I'm just saying I've had the Cardinal Virtues being caused by White Chlorination Syndrome for a while now.

Yeah, I've also had that one since about 5.1.

They haven't exactly proved it yet, but gently caress it's close.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Eimi posted:

Weren’t they caused by Emet-Selch being a dick

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

All I want is a fight where you fight all four cardinal virtues and a sin eater ardbert at once a la Divine Might

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Chillgamesh posted:

All I want is a fight where you fight all four cardinal virtues and a sin eater ardbert at once a la Divine Might

:hmmyes:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Konogg definitely got a lungful of white dust in the factory... :ohdear:

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Konogg definitely got a lungful of white dust in the factory... :ohdear:

So did you though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

We're fine because *waves hand around* crystal mom.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Waffleman_ posted:

We're fine because *waves hand around* crystal mom.

or are we

Knowing how Yoko Taro likes to do dread, I think what's gonna happen there is that they'll mention exactly what the deal with the dust in the Factory was, and just how in danger Konogg is because of it (we might get something pretty grisly, actually), and there will be the barest acknowledgement that we were also in the same position.

Just enough awareness for everyone to realize 'oh yeah, we were', but not enough to have the game directly discuss why/if we're immune.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I am positive this game's not going to go full Drakengard.

I was a lot more positive before the end of the 5.4 Weapon quests.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i have never played Drakengard. is it a fantasy game

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
IIRC the dust fucks you up by forcing you into a pact with God, who wants humanity dead. We're already pactbound to a more reasonable deity so we ought to be fine.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kerrzhe posted:

i have never played Drakengard. is it a fantasy game

Yes, the gameplay is on foot Dynasty Warriors style action spilt up with aerial segments that play kinda like Crimson Skies or Ace Combat

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Yes, the gameplay is on foot Dynasty Warriors style action spilt up with aerial segments that play kinda like Crimson Skies or Ace Combat

hmm yes. i have also never played any of those games but i think i get your meaning anyway!

so what's this i hear about an Orb/Seed and possibly a Sound

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kerrzhe posted:

hmm yes. i have also never played any of those games but i think i get your meaning anyway!

That would take pages and pages to explain so I'll just link this
https://youtu.be/__q_Nx9WbgY
You do not want to play those games, they are very bad. The story is good however.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the short explanation is that Drakengard’s a bleak dark fantasy game with a bloodthirsty, amoral protagonist and the plot goes really off the rails into crazytown

the gameplay is split between jank on-foot combat where you’re a one-man army mashing your way through hundreds of soldiers and airborne gameplay where you’re riding a dragon and shooting down airships and monsters which people generally agree is more fun.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Augus posted:

the short explanation is that Drakengard’s a bleak dark fantasy game with a bloodthirsty, amoral protagonist and the plot goes really off the rails into crazytown

It's just a lovely Dynasty Warriors clone that thinks acknowledging ludonarrative dissonance, incest, and Cthulu are the height of storytelling. It's poo poo, just read Dark Id's LP, it's much better than the game itself.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it’s cool imo
but also poo poo
it’s cool poo poo

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Kerrzhe posted:

This post will contain Drakengard and NieR/Automata spoilers so if the gamer reading this wants to avoid that skip this post. It'll also probably contain narrative errors because I don't remember Drakengard or NieR Gestalt/Replicant super well!

Basically, Drakengard and NieR are in the same timeline. The setting of Drakengard is essentially not-Earth but with magic. There's a war between a Good Guy Union and a Bad Guy Empire, the bad guy Empire worships a pantheon of gods called the Watchers. In most of Drakengard's endings, the Goddess at the top of the Watcher pantheon is summoned into existence and Caim and Angelus, the protagonists, either defeat it or seal it away. Drakengard has two canon endings; in one, the child who is the leader of the Watcher cult survives the summoning process and goes on to become a pariah despised by the world who later helps save it in Drakengard 2.

In the other canon ending, Caim, Angelus, and their sidekicks fail to defeat or seal away the Goddess, and are forced to banish it and themselves to another reality. The Goddess sings magical rings of death ("I. Can. Hear. A. Sound." is the description of the mission where you fight it ingame) that you have to match the timing of. These rings are visually identical to the white rings of death the first boss in Puppet's Bunker of FFXIV uses; that attack is also called Life's Last Song. Caim and Angelus overcome it by harmonizing themselves with it; it explodes into a cloud of magic. Caim and Angelus then get loving killed by the JSDF because the world they pulled it into was the real world, and the goddess's body disintegrating fills our world with her cursed magic, fundamentally disrupting it and irreversibly altering reality. The planet stops rotating, a second sun appears in the sky, people become capable of wielding magic, but the magic passively in peoples' bodies is sapped over time and they are reduced to pillars of salt.

To get around this, humanity synthesizes magic and technology to create a technique in which the soul is extracted from the body. They then manufacture androids, whose bodies are capable of being vessels for human souls without being vulnerable to magic decay, to replace their dying bodies. This whole process probably would have worked but it got hosed up by the androids in charge of overseeing the project, resulting in a world of androids who think they're human haunted by spooky ghosts who are the disembodied souls of the actual humans. This is the first NieR game. The result is that the human souls are defeated by the androids, who have attained true sentience.

Then space aliens invade and bring a robot army with them! In FFXIV, we fight Compound 2P on the bridge of one of their starships. The aliens go extinct, probably due to the same magical curse that wiped out humanity, but their machines survive due to their high adaptability and capacity for self-replication, and fight a forever war with the androids. This is NieR: Automata, which also heavily deals with the difference between the machines, which are maligned as savage, hostile, stupid creatures by the androids, and the androids themselves, who believe themselves to be roughly the equivalent of what humanity was.

In summation, the orb that produced the Anogg clone was probably a Seed of Destruction, involved in the summoning process for the Watcher Goddess, and the Anogg that emerged from it is probably a machine-devil hybrid.

Cythereal posted:

It's just a lovely Dynasty Warriors clone that thinks acknowledging ludonarrative dissonance, incest, and Cthulu are the height of storytelling. It's poo poo, just read Dark Id's LP, it's much better than the game itself.

Also yeah Drakengard is cool to read about but it loving sucks to play, especially 1 and 2.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

lol is every normal raid series going to end with its central character walking in a void

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lol is every normal raid series going to end with its central character walking in a void

Pretty sure Coils didn’t have a void

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I loved the blow by blow replay of the ending of FF8 at the end of Eden