Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Arue's alright. She's not as interesting as her inspiration but that's a pretty massive bar to reach. She has a really, really good bit of content in a very specific path route. Demon to Legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Did you get the triceratops?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Black Robe posted:

Singing the Song of Elysium to the demon lady is much less touching and symbolic when it's just a fox screaming really loudly.

Oh, so this is the Song of Freedom, then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jofNR_WkoCE

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

ProfessorCirno posted:

I never take Regill on his offer. Not even because of morale reasons - it's pretty easy to have massive army morale by this point, enough so that the dip from following him will do nothing. It's because going his route requires he be in your party. Sorry Regill, you should've made better choices in your character build.

I take his offer because he's clearly correct. The crusades morale will be better in the long term when less of them die horribly by burning alive in naptha. The only call that can be made is to put your elites on taking out this threat ASAP, which means the commander.

I was able to start there several times without him in my party from what I remember, though.

And yeah, his build is crap. It's still hilarious to watch a spiky gnome run into the enemy cosplaying Darth maul though, so I like him in the party

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Regill's path is strange. It doesn't put you directly in on a path to accomplish the goal you set out with it and you can wander the whole map wondering where the heck these catapults are like I do every play.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Mostly, I didn't take his path because starting at the front gates (or Nurah's 'trap' in the dungeons) lets you get Arue ASAP and I am a simp for her without apology. :v:

Also I find it very funny that Yua booted out Lann from the strike team in favor of running around the battlefield now accompanied by a succubus and not a single NPC has said a word about it so far.

AJ_Impy posted:

Did you get the triceratops?

Yes but I don't plan to show it off. We're about to get a different reptile buddy anyway.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 16, 2024

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Cythereal posted:

Mostly, I didn't take his path because starting at the front gates (or Nurah's 'trap' in the dungeons) lets you get Arue ASAP and I am a simp for her without apology. :v:

Also I find it very funny that Yua booted out Lann from the strike team in favor of running around the battlefield now accompanied by a succubus and not a single NPC has said a word about it so far.

I mean, their commander who is a magical fox lady who struck up a conversation with a caged succubus and they spontaneously started singing together and plants just erupt all over. At that point, there's a siege going on and asking questions would take up too much time to get a cohesive answer for. If Commander says don't shoot this one, just go with it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Capfalcon posted:

Also, while her Espionage Expert kit is pretty bad for her new life as a semi-protagonist, Arue can at least get by with her absurd 70+ point buy worth of stats. If you use a mod to fully respec her, she's probably the single most powerful companion in the game.
As a succubus she probably has pretty sweet racial stat bonuses?

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

every once in a while you run into a character with The Designer Wanted To Shout-Out Their Inspirations tattooed on their forehead in 900 point font

meet Planescape: Torment's Fall-From-Grace, 2018 Edition

cRPG devs surely like their good aligned demon waifus who cannot touch anyone. And between Karlach and wish.com version of Fall-From-Grace, my choice is obvious, mostly because I'm already tired of "succubus but shy and good-hearted" trope.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Shadow Demon Votaries are the dirt worst, they feel like they come a chapter too early as there's no chance you have the required roll for half of your party to not be crippled by Phantasmal Web and Putrification. Then once they have you entangled or nauseated they start blasting.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Szarrukin posted:

cRPG devs surely like their good aligned demon waifus who cannot touch anyone. And between Karlach and wish.com version of Fall-From-Grace, my choice is obvious, mostly because I'm already tired of "succubus but shy and good-hearted" trope.

They actually do some interesting stuff with Arue but Karlach is just great.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Honestly, I feel like the Fall-From-Grace comparisons are undeserved, beyond 'non-evil succubus who has the hots for the PC in a cRPG.' We'll see what Arue's deal is in time, but she's a pretty different character with a different story arc once you look past the surface. Can't speak to the Karlach comparison, as I've never played BG3 and probably never will.

Notably, Arue isn't holding anything back except her sexuality. Her kit and build reflect very well that besides charming people, she's an assassin and brings all her skill at finding, hunting, and eliminating targets to the fore - as well as breaking and entering to steal secrets and material possessions.

Poil posted:

As a succubus she probably has pretty sweet racial stat bonuses?

She does, and a bunch of racial perks like being immune to getting tripped because she has fully functional wings and can hover in place when need be.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
And a really unusual perk I'm sure you'll explain.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah I don't really see the comparisons between Arue and Karlach at all. Granted I also like Karlach way, way more then Arue.

Arue does get her strong narrative moments though if you take specific Mythic paths and choices.

RevolverDivider fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 16, 2024

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I would not describe Karlach as a succubus-type at all. Despite how many hearts she steals among players. :v:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I don’t really like Arue’s shyness either, but I will pick that over a creepy bully, a depraved serial killer, or an aloof queen, which is all the other female romance options in the game. :(

I have good thoughts regarding the female romance options in BG3, but I don’t want to play that game either. The awful any way you go choice at the end is the main reason why. If you’ve played it that far, you know what I mean.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I wish Arue came with an animal companion as its easier to run a gimmick all animal companion party that way

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I wish Arue came with an animal companion as its easier to run a gimmick all animal companion party that way

Teaser for next update:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
And that dragon gets rather ridiculous by endgame

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Votaries: the absolute worst. Pretty sure I'm still traumatized by those assholes.

Dragon companion: the absolute best, been waiting for this to show up in the LP.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I am a big fan of the dragon companion also. I wasn’t so much of the companion mentioned behind spoilers. Having to re-summon him every day meant he kept losing his gear. The build was also not great.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You can get a dragon companion? :swoon:

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
What if you are playing as a class that already has an animal companion? When you reach Azata 3, do you keep your regular animal buddy in addition to the dragon companion?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kanthulhu posted:

When you reach Azata 3, do you keep your regular animal buddy in addition to the dragon companion?

You sure do!

The dragon companion is more or less a fully fledged extra party member who's treated like an animal companion so they don't take up one of your six deployment slots.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mokinokaro posted:

And that dragon gets rather ridiculous by endgame
IIRC they actually nerfed her a bit since the halcyon days of having a caster level of 37.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Nice! Second Question: Can you ride your dragon?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kanthulhu posted:

Nice! Second Question: Can you ride your dragon?

Yup. She gets bigger as the game goes on and she levels up. She'll specifically tell you when she's big enough for you to ride. And only the PC can. Nice bonus for any Azata cavaliers or similar builds out there.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Do you get to pick the color of the dragon? And name it (if for some reason it doesn't already have a name)? And scratch it behind the ears? :3:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Patience. Next update will be this weekend.

The only thing more I'll say for now is that the dragon is a fully fledged character and not open to customization, they're effectively a bonus party member.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Cythereal posted:

"So, you're in Drezen."
"Allied with a sweet winged ladyfiend."
"And now you're about to claim the Sword of Valor and turn the tide of this war?"
"Nice Staunton any% speedrun, kid."

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

anilEhilated posted:

IIRC they actually nerfed her a bit since the halcyon days of having a caster level of 37.

They did but she's still really good.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

"So, you're in Drezen."
"Allied with a sweet winged ladyfiend."
"And now you're about to claim the Sword of Valor and turn the tide of this war?"
"Nice Staunton any% speedrun, kid."

"I'm also surrounded by a cloud of glowing butterflies, turned the Drezen dungeons into a garden, and now I have a dragon. Ho ho ho."

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Invades a city, keeps herself surrounded by a cloud of insects, prioritizes getting the dragon... looks like Yua has learned a lot from Deskari's Kenabres tour.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Nah, I've already locked Yua out of the 'usurp Deskari's place and assume control of his swarms' story path.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I'm imagining Yua, being a bard, is already thinking of how she's going to tell this story. And wondering if she even needs any embellishment with how things are going so far.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
What's the difference between you and me, huh? Why are you so sure you're on the right track?

Chiefly, I've been following signs of Desna's divine approval of my course. She's quite a bit more open about portents than Torag.

How do you know those signs aren't demonic tricks?

Indeed. How can I know that any experience, including us meeting, isn't a trick?

Er, come again?

We're all aware that magic exists to deceive the senses and alter the mind. Any bard worthy of the title has some proficiency in illusion and enchantment, after all, so it's worth considering. Only the clumsiest of illusions and enchantments merely force the subject to act a certain way, most work by altering the subject's perception of reality and the manner in which they think. I have no evidence that any of Desna's portents are not magical tricks. I have no evidence that anything is not a magical trick, including my own existence. For all the power of my own self-awareness, I might in reality be a drooling mindwiped Chelish slave dreaming herself a kitsune, and there is no way to disprove this hypothesis. Any proof might itself be another trick. We might all be mad dreams existing in a sort of solipsistic liminal state, delusions having delusions. Or we might all be exactly who and what we appear to be. If you allow that any given event might be a magical trick with no proof of evidence to support the notion, you necessarily allow the possibility that all given events might be magical tricks, or no events might be magical tricks. Given the fact that I therefore have no reasonable certainty whether any of us exist or not and whether our experiences have any meaning, I will therefore act on the assumption that I am real and my choices do matter.

...Just for that, you're going to die.

A magnificently reasoned argument on the nature of reality, girl! Simply magnificent! That's going straight into the Encyclopedia!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Cythereal posted:

We're all aware that magic exists to deceive the senses and alter the mind. Any bard worthy of the title has some proficiency in illusion and enchantment, after all, so it's worth considering. Only the clumsiest of illusions and enchantments merely force the subject to act a certain way, most work by altering the subject's perception of reality and the manner in which they think. I have no evidence that any of Desna's portents are not magical tricks. I have no evidence that anything is not a magical trick, including my own existence. For all the power of my own self-awareness, I might in reality be a drooling mindwiped Chelish slave dreaming herself a kitsune, and there is no way to disprove this hypothesis. Any proof might itself be another trick. We might all be mad dreams existing in a sort of solipsistic liminal state, delusions having delusions. Or we might all be exactly who and what we appear to be. If you allow that any given event might be a magical trick with no proof of evidence to support the notion, you necessarily allow the possibility that all given events might be magical tricks, or no events might be magical tricks. Given the fact that I therefore have no reasonable certainty whether any of us exist or not and whether our experiences have any meaning, I will therefore act on the assumption that I am real and my choices do matter.

Ah, Rene Descartes's Meditations on First Philosophy. One of my favourite subjects when I was in university. Cogito Ergo Sum for the win!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

I mean, a different conclusion than that probably is what leads to the trickster path.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Drakenel posted:

I mean, a different conclusion than that probably is what leads to the trickster path.

You can literally badger the ending narrator into giving you a better ending, and one of the top tier Trickster talents is to go full Bugs Bunny and "Oh No You're Not/Oh Yes I Am" people into Coup De Grace-ing themselves with your persuasion skill.

Also, the Trickster answer to Nihilistic Solipsism is that it's just boooooooring.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
max level trickster is that line about how God is a comedian playing to an audience afraid to laugh, where you have achieved the ultimate nerd dream: having demonstrated you got the joke, the comedian allows you to get up on the stage and riff with Him