Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Are you taking about the strap that goes ear loop to ear loop between your neck and chin?

Nearly everybody I play with wears a cage and uses the standard straps associated with a cage which go from the chin padding and snaps to your temple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

My caged helmet has both the cage snaps and the chin loop. Maybe one time I can remember a situation where my helmet got pushed up enough that the chin strap did anything, normally the cage chin pad just hits my chin.

Also my chin strap is broken so I just taped that fucker together and now it's kind of awkward to put on and take off. I should fix that button.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Pleads posted:

My caged helmet has both the cage snaps and the chin loop. Maybe one time I can remember a situation where my helmet got pushed up enough that the chin strap did anything, normally the cage chin pad just hits my chin.

Also my chin strap is broken so I just taped that fucker together and now it's kind of awkward to put on and take off. I should fix that button.

When my chinstrap snap had rusted and broke off (of course with the metal bit still in the plastic bit), I re-did the whole thing. I had a 1/2" wide elastic strap, sewed some velcro on the ends and turned it into my chin strap.

Keeps the lid on but will never, ever rust or choke me. My cage keeps everything nice and tight.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
I've seen guys with cages lose their helmets on the ice, so it's certainly possible for it to come off if you only do up the cage straps. Anyway, I wish the dumb cage straps just had one big elastic band around the helmet like snowboarding goggles.

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!
Talking about the loop that goes from ear to ear, not the cage's chincup strap or cage straps.

I'll probably cut it but leave an inch and a half or so extra instead of half an inch like last time.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

In high school, we all wore cages and we were also required to have our chinstraps snapped as well. After high school, as I've mentioned, I still wear a cage, and I do not snap the chinstrap. Exactly 1 time I have been told to snap my chin strap. This was last year, and since I keep it unsnapped, and I haven't had anyone mention it again.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

D C posted:

Mako 1's are on sale at Hockey Monkey last I checked.

I'm an 8D and they have none in my size :(

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Hockles posted:

In high school, we all wore cages and we were also required to have our chinstraps snapped as well. After high school, as I've mentioned, I still wear a cage, and I do not snap the chinstrap. Exactly 1 time I have been told to snap my chin strap. This was last year, and since I keep it unsnapped, and I haven't had anyone mention it again.

Pretty much the same for me. I wouldn't snap my chinstrap after high school and every once in a while would get poo poo from a ref about having my chinstrap hanging down so i just removed it. Out of sight, out of mind.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
What's the deal with helmet expiry? I'm using my girlfriend's hand-me-down and it expired long ago, is that something I need to be concerned about?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The lining in the helm ages and degrades its ability to absorb impacts over time. It just means the helmet manufacturer cannot certify the helmet does what it's supposed to do after that date.

So it's probably "fine" for recreational play but helmets aren't that expensive so there's no real reason to not get a new one.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Helmets are expensive man. Top of the line Bauer used to be 99 now it's 300.

No other protective gear has changed by such a high percentage. I'm pretty sure even skates haven't.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well, the gimmicks they're packing into those top of the line helmets has also changed a huge amount now that everyone suddenly cares about concussions.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Everything is a gimmick but yeah, they're taking advantage of it. The old foam ones just don't fit my weirdly shaped head that well but they've still raised prices across the spectrum.

WTB: More Easton S19 helmets

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
, I got a Bauer helmet that is exactly the same as what I used to wear when I was a kid for like 15 bucks off of Tron

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
One of the ladies I play with was wearing a helmet that expired 5+ years ago and I finally talked her into getting a new one. She has not stopped talking my ear off about how much more confortable helmets are now. Some of that is the size thing (there weren't too many options for us XS-S head people a few years ago) but I kind of feel like all the $40+ helmets have improved over the years.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Best helmets:

go cooper or go home

edit: look at how handsome it makes you

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

PFlats posted:

Best helmets:

go cooper or go home

Best part of these was if you had a buddy with the same helmet but different colors you could mix and match parts!

D C fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 20, 2015

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

loving hockey cancelled because plowing roads is hard. Goddamnit, PEI.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know what the general climate is for PEI but I would have figured any establishment in Canada would have snow figured out. I mean vast swaths of the country get literally buried in the stuff every year, it's not like they've never seen it before.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

xzzy posted:

I don't know what the general climate is for PEI but I would have figured any establishment in Canada would have snow figured out. I mean vast swaths of the country get literally buried in the stuff every year, it's not like they've never seen it before.

Well yeah, but it doesn't help if the guys clearing the roads all take a couple hours off in the middle of a storm to play a little puck. I don't live in Canada but Northeast U.S. and I'd say at least half the players on my team also plow snow, and every other team in the league has a similar story. We all know how much it sucks to be awake for 30+ hours and nobody is in great shape to play a game afterwards even if the storm is technically over. So while it sucks, I can't blame anybody for canceling a game because of snow no matter how figured out you are.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I think PEI is getting hit with ridiculous snow too, even by Canada standards. It's been in the news across the country and typically you need a lot of snow to make the Canadian national news (unless you're Toronto).

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

It's been something like 8 feet of snow since Jan 27th or something, mostly in 2-3 big storms. There are large mountainous piles everywhere and it's fantastic.

It wasn't fresh snow today, just wind blowing drifts everywhere that caused the cancellation since the game was supposed to be at a rink out of town and the rural roads have more issues with drifts than the city.

I am still angry and bitter about another cancellation, though. Instead I will go to drop-in tonight and the game is rescheduled for tomorrow night.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

PFlats posted:

Best helmets:

go cooper or go home

They certainly will get you the ladies of the future

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
That's one way to solve the girdles vs pants debate

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Speaking of, I used to wear regular jock shorts with the velcro attachments for my socks, and would have to readjust the socks several times a game. A few months back, the shorts started to fray (particularly the cup pocket) and I decided it was time to replace them and went looking for a compression short version. As luck would have it, I stumbled onto a Shock Doctor compression short on clearance that came with both the velcro and built-in garter type clips, and for the $35 (down from around $80) it's probably been one of the best equipment purchases I've made. Those clips haven't slipped once and it's been nice not having to worry about socks falling down or coming detached in the back. The compression feels good, too.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
For some reason there was nothing scheduled after my LTP class today so we got an extra 35 minutes on the ice to play shinny. Plus three of us from my old ball hockey team got to play on a line together (I am trying to slowly convert us into an ice hockey team) and it was great to be playing with my buddies again. AND people at LTP seem to be getting to know each other better which is great because there's more body-on-body and digging for pucks among those of us who are competitive dicks and can get around okay. Hockey :3:

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

Dale will always steer you in the RIGHT direction!
More pond hockey today. Probable the best I've personally played. Finally kind of figured out defensive positioning, was putting myself in good spots and blocked quite a few passes/shots. Also was skating very well with the puck and was more confident with it which showed with my passing and receiving passes. Feels good to start getting this hockey thing.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Despite drinking 4 beers, (over the course of the 5 hour odyssey that was tonight's final game of the beer league regular season) I came home with the same amount I left with. Fantastic!

We have a one-game playoff on Monday (8th vs 9th) and then an 8-team bracket of best-of-3s. Get hype.

e: The guy on beer duty brought a case of 24 for the 12 skaters we had. at the end of the night with like 6 beers left with 4 of us in the locker room, and he was all "we'll have them Monday!"

There were no survivors.

Pleads fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 22, 2015

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
After missing a game last week due to spraining my back during a game two weeks ago, tonight was my first game back and it felt great. We only had two lines of forwards and two defensive pairs but we tend to play better with fewer people. The team we were playing was far and away the top team in the league with no competition.

We completely out played them all game with great passing and coast to coast puck control. I was something like 90% on face offs so that helps. We ended up beating them 7-3

I had one of my most beautiful goals I've ever scored in my life. I blocked a d to d pass in my zone and took off on a breakaway. I came in just off the right boards (as a lefty) and started cutting left towards the goalie. I faked forehand and shot backhand over the goalies shoulder/ear as he was sliding over. The puck hit the top of the inside of the net. This was basically a nicer version of my goal except I was approaching the goalie at more of an angle.

http://youtu.be/fYYHNvS2ffk

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Power skating class is so hard :negative:

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.
I ended up getting the Easton Synergy HSX pants, which I wore for the first time on Saturday. Took a little while to get used to the different feel, going from a $25 bargain bin pair to a top of the line pair is a big leap. After about 3 minutes I was sold on the upgrade.

Due to the pro shop having a sale, and how happy I was with the pants, I went in to see if there was anything else worth upgrading. After trying on some shin and elbow pads I decided it wasn't worth the extra cost to upgrade.

However, one thing that still feels uncomfortable is the jock/cup that I use, which is the CCM RBZ 300 which unfortunately(?) is the best one they sell in the pro-shop.

After reading:

Habibi posted:

...Shock Doctor compression short...

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there would be a big difference between the shock doctor compression short and the CCM compression short I already have. I would need to ship it from the states so if it's not worth it I won't bother.

Also managed to score 3 goals during our scrimmage on Saturday after the clinic... must be his new pants.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
xzzy, how'd we do this morning?

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I finally got the HockeyTron Tron-X Tesla stick after a long wait for it to re-stock. It's their knock off version of the CCM RBZ Superfast. Definitely feels just like the real one. The stick is really light and all my shots were getting a lot of zip. Easily was going bar down on everything without forcing it. I can also see why people complain it has no feel for stickhandling since it's got an empty feeling in the blade. The only really tell for the puck being on the stick is the hard click-clack sound the puck makes off the blade. Overall a great deal for the cheaper price over CCM. Looks really cool too, especially with some red tape I had.

Loqieu fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 23, 2015

Southpaw
Mar 9, 2006
Fellow hockeying goons! After about 5 months of learning skating and stuff on my own I'm assigned to my very first team. The team has a bye this week so my first game isn't for another 9 days. Is it reasonable to expect the team captain to contact me before the game?
My goal is to make it through my first shift without injuring my knees or shoulders.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Southpaw posted:

Fellow hockeying goons! After about 5 months of learning skating and stuff on my own I'm assigned to my very first team. The team has a bye this week so my first game isn't for another 9 days. Is it reasonable to expect the team captain to contact me before the game?
My goal is to make it through my first shift without injuring my knees or shoulders.

Beer league vet here: contact the captain to figure out how beer works. Team rotation? Bring your own? Is someone claiming responsibility of bringing beer and you just need some cash to cover it?

This is the most important thing.

e: Safe bet to bring your own game 1. If he says "hadn't thought about it" then you still have time to ask for a trade.

Pleads fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 23, 2015

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So I want to get a set of my own jerseys for shits'n'giggles. I've narrowed it down to two choices:

Rangers Colors

Blackhawks Colors

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
So I bought a new stick, it arrived last week, and I had 4 full days off to test it out... and then I got sick and didn't play one second of hockey all week. :( I'll play Thursday night and go to stick&puck Friday morning, and then it's back to no hockey until next week. :smithicide:

Bootcha posted:

So I want to get a set of my own jerseys for shits'n'giggles. I've narrowed it down to two choices:

Rangers Colors

Definitely this one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

YeehawMcKickass posted:

xzzy, how'd we do this morning?

Was bit of a shootout, they got to 4-1 by the second period and started the third with us down at 4-2. Then we went on a goal scoring spree and the game ended 6-7. The last one went in with less than a second on the clock, it was good stuff.

Kind of the same deal as previous games, play the 1st like a bunch of zombies and then start to dominate as the game rolls on.

Don't know if that's really fixable, same thing seems to happen in the beer league games I've played.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
My team usually plays like dogshit in the first too. I think it has something to do with most of the team spending their 3:00 of warmup time waiting their turn to take a slapper at the goalie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Pleads posted:

Beer league vet here: contact the captain to figure out how beer works. Team rotation? Bring your own? Is someone claiming responsibility of bringing beer and you just need some cash to cover it?

This is the most important thing.

e: Safe bet to bring your own game 1. If he says "hadn't thought about it" then you still have time to ask for a trade.

Seconding this.