Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!
What's the best app for encrypting folders and files and stuff? I know I could use gpg or truecrypt but I'm hoping for something a little more user-friendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does FileVault not fit the bill?

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

Caged posted:

Does FileVault not fit the bill?

I do use FileVault, but I meant more password protect / encrypt individual things on the computer.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah at the drive level I'd suggest looking into FileVault, but for individual files/folders and depending on the use I'm not sure. I just use an encrypted disk image (sparse disk in segmented bands) for some stuff but I don't know if that'd fit for your particular use.

Efb sounds like it'd work then. Just try it out in some random stuff to see if it works for you workflow wise. You can save the password in the keychain to auto mount or require a password on every mount. Once it's mounted it's basically like another disk/folder for your stuff.

japtor fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 3, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

TrueCrypt perhaps? Not the most user-friendly of tools but popular and does the job.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Why not an encrypted DMG? Create one with disk utility and put all your private stuff in there.

edit: oops, beaten

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

The XTS mode that file system level encryption systems usually use is not always ideal. It's fine to use FileVault or truecrypt or whatever, but if you want to add a layer on top of that and encrypt individual files it's probably best to use something designed for that purpose. http://sockpuppet.org/blog/2014/04/30/you-dont-want-xts/

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
If you're nuts, and have lods of emone to spend on stupid things, this may interest you. Actually, if the real purpose interests you more, so much the better.

New Audio Tools GmbH makes various products for binaural sound processing. Including something called Spatial Sound Card, which is a stand-alone application based on their Spatial Audio Designer core. It uses a virtual sound card driver, routing anything from stereo up to full 7.1 surround sound through their application, which then downmixes the result for stereo headphones. It comes with many studio/room simulations for each of the speaker counts, and also headphone equalization presets for a number of models of headsets. It also allows the room envelope and headphone frequency response curve to be customized.

So, a virtual surround sound card for Mac OS X. And they just released a Windows version last March. If this at all sounds interesting to anyone, you may line up at their online store, where you may purchase a license. It's on sale right now, for 98€, which is 70€ cheaper than the regular price. Each license comes with two seats, or one "common" USB stick authentication. Individual seats may be licensed by downloading their Mac or Windows license tool, and acquiring the system ID (or USB stick ID, if you prefer) you'll then bind to a seat in their web interface. Then you click the download page, which prepares you a custom installer bundled with your unique license in the installer.

You may opt to test their technology in one of several ways. First, if you have either the Steam for Windows or Aspyr Mac versions of the original release of Doom 3, you may acquire a single seat free license for their Spatial Audio Game Engine version of Doom 3. Beware that this will permanently add the full 395MB of the SAGE Doom 3 installer to all your future downloads from their site.

Secondly, you may acquire a single seat trial license for Spatial Sound Card. The resulting product has no limitations, other than that it will randomly emit a very annoying chime sound from a random virtual speaker every 10-30 seconds. It could still be useful to give you a feel for how their binaural virtualization works.

I somehow discovered someone posting about this product on some other Mac forum, after I got sick of my hardware solution, a Sound Blaster Recon3D USB, due to it glitching out at random. Said glitching consisted of either causing my entire USB 2.0 interface, machine wide, to spontaneously reset when it was connected to that and playback was restarted after hours of silence. Or, when connected to a USB 3.0 port, it would occasionally drop out and/or distort, as if it was being undervolted. Funny this, since it claims to only need 300mA, compared to the full 500mA my other USB sound device asks for. Perhaps I should not have expected a USB port to be sufficient to power my Sennheiser HD580 set.

All in all, I like the sound it produces, eliminating the in-head sound that normally occurs with directly connected headphones, and it doesn't seem to color the sound too much, depending on the presets used. It also has that added benefit of providing a "true" surround device on Mac OS X, unlike many competing products, including that Recon3D, which only seems to support virtualized stereo speakers on Mac OS X, where it supports full surround in Windows.

It's not without its flaws, however. If you do not attenuate the individual virtual speakers to -4 or -6 dB, louder inputs tend to make it clip, even where the input audio does not clip on its own. Turning down the master volume level does not fix this, because it always outputs at full volume and maps its master level to the volume meter on the output device you have it feeding to. I have reported this to their feedback contact page, which helpfully thanked me for my feedback in German.

And then I discovered that the Windows version has a nice flaw as well. The virtual audio cable driver that they utilize there is incapable of switching speaker counts on the fly. Any attempt to do so, including attempting to use a fresh installation, will result in the application receiving nothing but silence. The only solution is to reboot any time you change the speaker count. Hopefully, you won't need to do this often. It's a trade-off between having loads of presets at 5.1, or having full 7.1 but only five room presets. (Or 6.1, but why bother?) I haven't mentioned this one to them yet, I'll do that now.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

carry on then posted:

No, it's a feature, you move the mouse to the bottom of the screen you want it on and it summons the dock.

Ah, makes a ton of sense, as the webpage that I have to use at work to check tickets has all the submit/update buttons at the bottom of the webpage.

Still I prefer to keep each screen with its own Spaces setup.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I have an early 2011 15" MBP that gets incredibly hot in the back left corner (under the esc key) when doing things Hangout video chat or watching YouTube videos. Also, the bottom left panel is sticking out about 2mm from the rest of the body. It's still under warranty, so I'm taking it in to an authorized repair center.

Before I take it in, I want to create an image of the disk just in case. My boot disk is 700GB (I partitioned 50GB off for a Win7 install I never got around to doing) and I'm using about 600GB of that. I have an external, but it's got stuff on it that I don't want to erase. It has about 1.5TB free space. Can I create a clone of my boot disk without wiping the hard drive? If so, how? All the tutorials I've seen start with formatting the drive.

EDIT: I'm an rear end, and didn't think this all the way through. I've created a 755GB partition on the external drive (Mac OS Extended (Journaled), GUID Partition Table). I can just throw the clone there, right?

angor fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 4, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You could just do a Time Machine backup to your external. That gives you a disk image that can be restored, and won't wipe the whole drive out in the process.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Couldn't you boot from recovery partition and use dd to create an image?

Or, wait, can't you even use Disk Utility to create an image when you're in recovery mode?

Time Machine is optimized for creating a history over time, I think if you just want one image it's probably best to use something else.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
time machine is pretty idiot proof so I'd use it anyway.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I can't recommend Time Machine enough for personal full image. I've come back from nothing to everything exactly the way it was so many times it's probably paid for this laptop in time saved.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

carry on then posted:

I can't recommend Time Machine enough for personal full image. I've come back from nothing to everything exactly the way it was so many times it's probably paid for this laptop in time saved.

I feel this way every time I have to use it. I've had two HDDs poo poo the bed in the last 3 years and the biggest inconvenience is driving to the store to get a new one. After that I just boot to internet recovery, select the backup on my FreeNas server, and then wait while magic happens for an hour or so. Then it boots up post-install and all your apps open and waiting where you left off.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

angor posted:

Can I create a clone of my boot disk without wiping the hard drive? If so, how? All the tutorials I've seen start with formatting the drive.

Carbon Copy Cloner - you can even boot from the USB external drive to test it out.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

fleshweasel posted:

time machine is pretty idiot proof so I'd use it anyway.

I had a problem with Time Machine in 10.7-10.8 where it was impossible to NOT have spotlight attempt to index large amounts of ASCII numerical data (science!) on the TM volume. That went... poorly. Some older OS X versions handled this better in terms of not choking on it, and being able to exclude TM from spotlight. Dunno if Apple ever fixed the bug because I just quit using TM.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
I need a file recovery program, but I've never used one before and I'm not sure what to look for.

I created a new project in Xcode with a template that I modified (and forgot to add some important pieces :( ), and Xcode hung for a second before deleting everything in the directory where I put all of my programming projects. None of it is in the trash so I'm pretty sure I need a recovery tool at this point.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Free utility for running a MBP in full resolution?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

PRADA SLUT posted:

"System Preferences"?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

Buy a cheap windows display. Then, manually remove the pixels one by one and glue them to the MBP.

It takes a few days, but totally works.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm looking for 2880x1800.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

PRADA SLUT posted:

Are you literally a Peregrine Falcon?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

PRADA SLUT posted:

It came with your laptop.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

There's a switch under one of the black rubber feet at the bottom.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

SwitchResX is a combination of letters in the English language but I don't know if it will have any meaning to you.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

carry on then posted:

SwitchResX is a combination of letters in the English language but I don't know if it will have any meaning to you.

Serioustalk: That's not free. Also I knew of course what that person meant, but "MBP" includes the 13" non-retina. Plus if I'm supposed to help someone, I like to be asked in full sentences, not "Free poo poo for my poo poo?". I guess the next step would be only asking "Huh?" and then let them guess what we need. :toot:

Additionally, since I happen to have tried it on my registered version of SwitchResX: At 2880x1800 on 15", the GUI becomes pretty silly. I think it was the right decision to top out the GUI at 1920x1200 and only let the contents get the full resolution.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
There's a freeware menu item in the App Store called Display Menu which will set 2880x1800. It's probably a decent utility on non-Retina machines, but on Retinas it is poo poo. Doesn't detect all the HiDPI modes correctly, so you need to use the normal Displays preferences to set the retina 1440 or scaled 1680/1920 modes. However, it will detect and set 2880, and you can't beat free if you just want to find out whether you can live with 2880.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

flavor posted:

Serioustalk: That's not free. Also I knew of course what that person meant, but "MBP" includes the 13" non-retina. Plus if I'm supposed to help someone, I like to be asked in full sentences, not "Free poo poo for my poo poo?". I guess the next step would be only asking "Huh?" and then let them guess what we need. :toot:

Additionally, since I happen to have tried it on my registered version of SwitchResX: At 2880x1800 on 15", the GUI becomes pretty silly. I think it was the right decision to top out the GUI at 1920x1200 and only let the contents get the full resolution.

He wasn't asking you.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 5, 2014

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Ericadia posted:

I need a file recovery program, but I've never used one before and I'm not sure what to look for.

I created a new project in Xcode with a template that I modified (and forgot to add some important pieces :( ), and Xcode hung for a second before deleting everything in the directory where I put all of my programming projects. None of it is in the trash so I'm pretty sure I need a recovery tool at this point.

Data Rescue 3 is probably your best bet. In the future use version control and time machine at least.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

BobHoward posted:

on Retinas it is poo poo

Just to add: SwitchResX has a ten day trial period. I don't know if it's better than Display Menu. It certainly does detect a large amount of HiDPI modes.

carry on then posted:

He wasn't asking you.

Sure, and I'm not quoting you, just your post. Sorry if I'm feeling addressed if somebody addresses the forum.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

edit: yeah, sorry, shouldn't be having a dumb argument in the software thread. Ignoring and moving on.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 5, 2014

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Is there a way (Chrome or Safari extension) to get a browser tab to appear in a small, floating, always-on-top, window across all desktops?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Would Safari Web Clips combined with the Dashboard modification to show widgets on the desktop work for your purposes?

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
You could also make a Fluid app and assign it to All Desktops.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Would Safari Web Clips combined with the Dashboard modification to show widgets on the desktop work for your purposes?

I'm not sure. I want to be able to watch flash / silverlight videos in a small window on top of other applications. Fluid looks interesting but can the apps be forced to remain on top?

e: Actually, "Fluid" + "Afloat" works swimmingly.

shodanjr_gr fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 5, 2014

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

carry on then posted:

No, it's a feature, you move the mouse to the bottom of the screen you want it on and it summons the dock.

It's not a feature it's a pain in the loving rear end.
It also means you can't have a window in that area of the screen. :woz:

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

wolffenstein posted:

Data Rescue 3 is probably your best bet. In the future use version control and time machine at least.

Most of the important projects were already stored in remote repositories, but a lot of side projects and old things that I forgot about were blown away. Its a brutal lesson learned :negative:, I'm buying a 3TB time machine tomorrow.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I haven't used RSS in a while, and last time I really did on the Mac it was built into the Mail app. I see that it's gone, did it move to some other 1st party app, or will I need to go 3rd party?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

IUG posted:

So I haven't used RSS in a while, and last time I really did on the Mac it was built into the Mail app. I see that it's gone, did it move to some other 1st party app, or will I need to go 3rd party?

There's not really any RSS support in OS X anymore. ReadKit does the trick for me.

Ulysses is actually starting to become a fairly strong contender to nvAlt for plain text wrangling. I love Notational Velocity but it's kind of feature-poor and ugly.

EDIT: After the 5th crash and 3rd beachball attempting to search, I retract my earlier statement.

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 5, 2014