Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Chip McFuck posted:

Looks like Platinum is discontinuing the whole President line. It's too bad, that's one of my favorite pens :(. If anyone was waiting to buy, get one now before they're gone. Lots of places running 40% off deals.

gently caress, that sucks poo poo. That was one of those pens i really wanted to get one day but I'm not in any position right now to take advantage of even a 40% off deal :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Celebrating successful LASIK by seeing this pen

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I've been on a kick of buying only classy, understated pens recently

CLASSY AND UNDERSTATED

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

grack posted:

I've been on a kick of buying only classy, understated pens recently

CLASSY AND UNDERSTATED

Why am I thinking of LASIK all of a sudden?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gschmidl posted:

Celebrating successful LASIK by seeing this pen

Aww poo poo. Waiting on mine to come in!

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Got this in today. It's a pretty neat NOS pen from about the 60's. Been waiting for this for a while.

Box arrived in pretty good condition.

No dings in the metal cap, plastic feels a little cheap and smudges like crazy, but that's ok.

Classic '60's shaped section.

By design, this nib has a downward turn to help in writing Hangul (that was the theory, anyway).

12k gold, too. Don't see that too often.

Now, where was this pen made? Oh! Oh...

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 14, 2021

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

That loving rules and i really want one.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Sankis posted:

That loving rules and i really want one.

:same:

e: welp, Kim Jong Pen on its way from Bulgaria.

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 14, 2021

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Nailed this today

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

gschmidl posted:

:same:

e: welp, Kim Jong Pen on its way from Bulgaria.

you guys are terrible. Now, what is the link?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Keetron posted:

you guys are terrible. Now, what is the link?

Searched for CHOLLIMA on eBay, checked whether it had the same box, and picked one from inside the EU.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114953782203

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Jestery posted:

Nailed this today

hell yeah nice. out of curiosity is that a noodlers ink?

i wrote this weeks ago and still think about it

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

gschmidl posted:

Searched for CHOLLIMA on eBay, checked whether it had the same box, and picked one from inside the EU.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114953782203

Oh my god, it's only 49 bucks? I need to stop reading this thread before I end up with more pens.

EDIT: :lol:

Uganda Loves Me fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 14, 2021

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Uganda Loves Me posted:

I need to stop reading this thread before I end up with more pens.

Might as well have been the thread title all along.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

It's cute that you think "more" is a large number of pens.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I wish you could include "Only 49 bucks?"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sankis posted:

verry :v:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I showed this to someone else who said the same thing. i don't see it

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Sankis posted:

I showed this to someone else who said the same thing. i don't see it

They're reading it as verrj.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Sankis posted:

Its bic lol

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Sankis posted:

I understand, sometimes you accidentally hit a high and you keep longing for it for ages until you are able to consistently hit that same peak or, alas, you never reach that summit again.

That shading :discourse:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The CON-40 is indeed not optimal, but I prefer that being the only bad thing about Pilot pens to, like, cracking. I'd just fill it with a syringe.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gschmidl posted:

The CON-40 is indeed not optimal, but I prefer that being the only bad thing about Pilot pens to, like, cracking. I'd just fill it with a syringe.

Yeah, I have the cart drying right now, which I'm gonna syringe fill.

I already do for my other VP :v:

(Well, eye dropper fill once it empties out, gonna switch that to Heart of Darkness :getin:)

Keetron posted:

That shading :discourse:

It is an absolutely gorgeous ink, that's for sure!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

With all the inks and pens, I wanted to share again the Benu Foxglove, now with Fire Embers as suggested:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Keetron posted:

With all the inks and pens, I wanted to share again the Benu Foxglove, now with Fire Embers as suggested:

Perfect match! Excellent.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Sankis posted:

Speaking of Blue Blacks, my custom bottle of Professor Shark Blue is running low and I've decided that I really am a lazy gently caress and don't want to continue to tinker with inks, so I'm trying to decide between Noodler's 54th Massachusetts and Pilot's Shin Kai. Reviews suggest that the 54th doesn't have much in terms of shading, however Shin Kai runs a bit bluer than my normal tastes... any opnions?

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

Professor Shark posted:

Speaking of Blue Blacks, my custom bottle of Professor Shark Blue is running low and I've decided that I really am a lazy gently caress and don't want to continue to tinker with inks, so I'm trying to decide between Noodler's 54th Massachusetts and Pilot's Shin Kai. Reviews suggest that the 54th doesn't have much in terms of shading, however Shin Kai runs a bit bluer than my normal tastes... any opnions?

Personally I find Pilot’s inks to be a little better behaved than Noodler’s, which sometimes have feathering issues, but some Noodler’s inks seem much better than others and I don’t have any experience with 54th MA.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

I am a big iroshizuku fanboi and my Shin Kai 15ml bottle is past halfway empty and I will buy a big bottle when it does run out. It is indeed not "black with a hint of blue" but if I wanted black, I'd use take sumi.

So now we are on the topic on inks... A while ago I bought on an impuls the full range of inkvent blue edition inks in 50ml bottles. I don't know why, sometimes I do things like this. But as you can see in the previous part of my message, I don't even like all those colors that much but really prefer some other inks that I already owned. And I tried a few of them, so some bottles are down 0,5~1,5ml but many are untouched. The bottles need a new home and I'd prefer to sell the lot at once. They go for about 15 to 18 USD per bottle I saw on ebay but I live in Europe. I am happy to sell all 25 of them at once for 6USD a bottle plus about 40USD for shipping. Anyone interested? They write really well, that is not the problem and the colors are pretty too, I just need the space in my closet and head, that is all.

Oh no, catawiki now sells pens as well: https://www.catawiki.com/nl/l/50992953-vulpen

Keetron fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 17, 2021

grack
Jan 10, 2012

So, something interesting for today, an interesting new piece of Urushi.

The body and cap are turned ebonite, and the pen itself is done in a Negoro style. The pen was originally coated in 10 coats of yellow urushi lacquer, then two layers of black Roiro lacquer, and then sanded in spots to expose the yellow urushi in spots. Certainly a unique looking piece.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I want an urushi pen dangit

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Heath posted:

https://tamenuri.com/stock/

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I also want an urushi pen. It's not the lack of urushi pen availability though, it's the cost!!!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Look, you only really *need* one kidney.

At least that's what I tell my victims.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Heath posted:

I recc'd checking one out in person if it's feasible since the actual experience is different from what I expected.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

NiftyBottle posted:

Personally I find Pilot’s inks to be a little better behaved than Noodler’s, which sometimes have feathering issues, but some Noodler’s inks seem much better than others and I don’t have any experience with 54th MA.

Keetron posted:

I am a big iroshizuku fanboi and my Shin Kai 15ml bottle is past halfway empty and I will buy a big bottle when it does run out. It is indeed not "black with a hint of blue" but if I wanted black, I'd use take sumi.

Thanks for the feedback- feathering is a huge issue for me since I mostly use cheap paper from the supply room. Googling "Noodler 54th Massachusetts feathering" revealed that it does have some major issues, despite the amazing color, so I think I'll go with the Shin Kai

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Isn't noodlers also the company that is super fundamentalist anti abortion etc etc? Someone in here probably knows the story better than I do.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

the guy behind Noodlers is a fuckin' weirdo but he's more the sovcit version of making absolutely certain the inks you use on checks will absolutely never come off sort of weirdo iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Isn't noodlers also the company that is super fundamentalist anti abortion etc etc? Someone in here probably knows the story better than I do.

Oh yeah, the Noodler’s guy is certifiable, but is generally more libertarian-flavored crazy than senile-tangerine-flavored. He does things like put out a “Berning Red” ink to call Bernie a communist, but AFAIK never did anything like coming out in favor of the Jan 6 coup attempt or anything. (Please correct me if I just never heard about something)

The thread consensus is “mostly harmless”, but of course follow your own conscience.