Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Enjoy

http://podcast.darker-days.org/e/82-the-white-wolf-unchained/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Okay, issues with my players. I am down to two consistent players for the next few months which is not enough for me to run a real party imo. But it is somewhat intimate, so I think I want to try running Promethean.

Problem: I don't want to buy Promethean 2e if I only use it this once and it turns out I can't run it and/or my players hate it. Is there a demo of 2e somewhere that I can use or am I better off tracking down that friend of mine with the 1e book and borrowing it from him?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Time for more recipes from the mage cookbook, rounding out with the other technomages.

Ever wonder what the Society of Ether eats? Madame Mirrorlegs makes a reappearance to serve coffee with an expensive balancing siphon (an inefficient and archaic, but beautiful, device that will invariably serve coffee nowhere near as good as the equivalent investment in a high end manual-pump double-boiler espresso maker, but which makes a mean cup of tea) and... Battenburg cakes. It's framed as a visit to the London HQ, which is really the excuse to lean hard on the steampunk SoE stereotype as opposed to going off the wall with something like home-made space food sticks laced with ketamine.

What about the VAs? Well, that chapter is mostly a ramble about the horrors of arranged marriage slavery in SEA, which leads to a VA in Singapore. The recipe is for kuih lapis, a steamed layer cake of tapioca flour, rice flour, sugar, and full-fat coconut milk. I mean, I've had kuih lapis and it is delicious, but I'm not sure about it as the VA recipe. Points for a non-stereotypical option though, and it isn't Soylent!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The SoE are way more interesting when you consider that their remit is psuedoscience, and not just steampunk. Their homeopathy loving works, no matter what actual science has to say about it!

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.

Strange Cares posted:

So I'm all about exploring dead religions through spooky eyes but this absolutely makes me want to write up a Sin-Eater Krewe where each Geist is some aspect of Elvis as he's seen through pop culture. There's The Poor Boy, The Rebel, The Sex Symbol, The Spectacle and The Husk, just off the top of my head.

"We three kings as Elvis stand; / each representing a phase of the man: / Hot young geyser, / older and wiser, / and the one who died on the can."

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Xinder posted:

Okay, issues with my players. I am down to two consistent players for the next few months which is not enough for me to run a real party imo. But it is somewhat intimate, so I think I want to try running Promethean.

Problem: I don't want to buy Promethean 2e if I only use it this once and it turns out I can't run it and/or my players hate it. Is there a demo of 2e somewhere that I can use or am I better off tracking down that friend of mine with the 1e book and borrowing it from him?

Nevermind about this. I was explaining the situation to one of my players and he just bought the pdf on drivethru and sent it to me while we were talking so I guess we're good to go now.

Promethean seems actually really cool and I'm looking forward to running it. Since I've only got 2 players I think I have a strong chance of being able to pull off a more personal and intimate game.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Now that I've finished Beckett's Jyhad Diary, I'm upgrading my review to "really drat good." This book basically picks up the pieces of the metaplot and sets them all up again to a point where you could start it over again without it feeling fake or unearned, and like it might even not be terrible. Hopefully maybe they will?

It's also surprisingly huge. This is a Chuubo-sized book where I was expecting a little paperback.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Latest blogpost: Rich Thomas has sent his notes on Scion to Neall and they're mostly about text clarification. OP has released a dicerolling app for Apple and Android. Base app is free, has presets and configurable modes for all currently published games. You can pay to get dice skins, either just color or a little extra for glowing-number Wraith dice or silver nimbus Exalted: Lunars dice.

Changeling KS expected to go live on the 14th, or the 16th if a problem occurs.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

What's the name of the app

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Onyx Dice Rolling App

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Axelgear posted:

"We three kings as Elvis stand; / each representing a phase of the man: / Hot young geyser, / older and wiser, / and the one who died on the can."

Consider this: Ghosts in CofD earn Essence every time a living person remembers them, including visiting their grave.

Over 600,000 people visit Graceland every year.

You do the math.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
When I did the C:TL Roswell game, we ran with "Elvis was taken by aliens" and so one the Keepers was known as "The King who gives many Thanks" Gonna have to try and reboot that with the 2E rules for court design stuff at some point.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Long live The King

So are Geist intended to be portrayed by GM or players (like Wraith shadowguides)?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

GimpInBlack posted:

Consider this: Ghosts in CofD earn Essence every time a living person remembers them, including visiting their grave.

Over 600,000 people visit Graceland every year.

You do the math.
Oh god, rank 6 Elvis ghost?!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Yawgmoth posted:

Worse. The conglomerated ghost of every rock star who ever died of an overdose.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

JesterOfAmerica posted:

Long live The King

So are Geist intended to be portrayed by GM or players (like Wraith shadowguides)?

Mostly you play your own geist, with the Storyteller on hand for creepy pronouncements/plot hooks as needed and mechanics to step in when your Geist flipside poo poo.

Yawgmoth posted:

Essence stores don't increase a ghost's Rank, but the King probably has a whole mess of ghost peanut butter and nanner sammiches to dole out to his spectral Memphis Mafia. Basically picture Immortan Joe in a sequined jumpsuit and you're not far off.

(I mean, maybe I'm wrong and Elvis runs a spooky soup kitchen with all that extra Essence. Who knows?)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

GimpInBlack posted:

(I mean, maybe I'm wrong and Elvis runs a spooky soup kitchen with all that extra Essence. Who knows?)

It's chicken soup for the souls.

I'll show myself out.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Do you have to deliberately visit their grave specifically, or can I boost an arbitrary number of ghosts by just wandering a cemetery taking pictures of cool headstones?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Mors Rattus posted:

Do you have to deliberately visit their grave specifically, or can I boost an arbitrary number of ghosts by just wandering a cemetery taking pictures of cool headstones?

If the trigger for Essence is remembering them, I imagine you have to at least know who they are ahead of time.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

You have to "remember them for the living person they once were," so bare minimum you need to know who they were before they died, and in a deeper sense than "Here lies John Smith, beloved father and brother." But you don't have to specifically visit their grave--sitting quietly and thinking about them or even recognizing their Manifested form works.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Findagrave.com, the insidious ghostly conspiracy to get everybody a little juice now and then.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

GimpInBlack posted:

Well I am definitely including the Jane Adams Hull house in any Geist game I run in Chicago now.

Edit: I mean just reading famous graves in and around the city is giving me so many ideas for cool NPCs.

Edit 2: oh God, what is going to happen when Oprah dies?

neaden fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 7, 2017

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm starting up a Mage game based out of Yale (and the Northeast in general, with Connecticut in particular) and I'm trying to decide how I want to handle the Gun People. Because while Connecticut itself is not a gun-happy state for the most part, especially these days, it was the home of Samuel Colt and both the birthplace and burial site of Sarah Winchester. I feel like there's good ghost shenanigans there but I'm unsure what.

(Some of my players read this thread but I'm not worried because anything y'all come up with I'm gonna gently caress around with anyway.)

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

GimpInBlack posted:

Considering he was as scattershot charitable as any poor boy made good story, I have no doubt anyone in the greater Memphis area has an essence hookup if they can ask for it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

neaden posted:

Well I am definitely including the Jane Adams Hull house in any Geist game I run in Chicago now.

Edit: I mean just reading famous graves in and around the city is giving me so many ideas for cool NPCs.

YOU GET SOME ESSENCE! AND YOU GET SOME ESSENCE! EVERYBODY GETS SOME ESSENCE!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

neaden posted:

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Xelkelvos posted:

YOU GET SOME ESSENCE! AND YOU GET SOME ESSENCE! EVERYBODY GETS SOME ESSENCE!

Her show starts interviewing mages and vampires and becomes a massive hit on the underground circuit.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

neaden posted:

Any Chicago Geist game should also include H. H. Holmes, his murder hotel, and ever-changing trail of victims.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

occamsnailfile posted:

Any Chicago Geist game should also include H. H. Holmes, his murder hotel, and ever-changing trail of victims.

I think you mean JACK THE RIPPER

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Any Chicago Geist game should also address the specter of every person or animal that died in the Union Stock Yards, preferably through a giant meat golem ghost.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

I'm starting up a Mage game based out of Yale (and the Northeast in general, with Connecticut in particular) and I'm trying to decide how I want to handle the Gun People. Because while Connecticut itself is not a gun-happy state for the most part, especially these days, it was the home of Samuel Colt and both the birthplace and burial site of Sarah Winchester. I feel like there's good ghost shenanigans there but I'm unsure what.

(Some of my players read this thread but I'm not worried because anything y'all come up with I'm gonna gently caress around with anyway.)

Eli Whitney founded the Connecticut Valley Arms company and did a bunch of early attempts at interchangable parts. John Browning worked at Remington's Bridgeport factory for a lot of his big innovations. Winchester grew up in New Haven. But I'd maybe would look at the ghosts tied to some of the factory sites causing trouble. Maybe with the factories still existing in Twilight and creating rather bizarre weapons. Maybe have some spirits of violence get involved and using those weapons.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Something I keep meaning to look up - do animals have ghosts in the Chronicles setting as written?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

occamsnailfile posted:

Richard J. Daley in an endless gang war with Al Capone. Possibly Richard M. Daley's retirement and replacement with Rahm Emmanual was some sort of supernatural plot.
The ghosts of the Haymarket square and other Chicago communists/anarchists like Elizabeth Flynn.
Ernie Banks becoming the Geist of the Chicago Cubs to literally be Mr. Cub.
Various supernatural conspiracies swirling around Oprah.
This is making me excited for Geist to come out so I can run a semi-gonzo Unknown Armies/Tim Powers style game.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

neaden posted:

Richard J. Daley in an endless gang war with Al Capone. Possibly Richard M. Daley's retirement and replacement with Rahm Emmanual was some sort of supernatural plot.
The ghosts of the Haymarket square and other Chicago communists/anarchists like Elizabeth Flynn.
Ernie Banks becoming the Geist of the Chicago Cubs to literally be Mr. Cub.
Various supernatural conspiracies swirling around Oprah.
This is making me excited for Geist to come out so I can run a semi-gonzo Unknown Armies/Tim Powers style game.

The Mr Cub geist has to influence you to gently caress up at the last possible moment or else it's not the true spirit of the Cubs

I'm reading the 1e VtM cirebook now and I never knew how well CofD books were laid out until now. Jeeeeesus

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Joe Slowboat posted:

Something I keep meaning to look up - do animals have ghosts in the Chronicles setting as written?
I would theorize that all dogs go to Heaven.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Joe Slowboat posted:

Yes, you don't have to be human. As do buildings and towns and whatnot, so you don't even have to be animate. Check out Ghost Stories, it's the one with ghost dogs.

This may have changed in second edition but it doesn't seem like it.

nofather fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 8, 2017

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Mr. Maltose posted:

Considering he was as scattershot charitable as any poor boy made good story, I have no doubt anyone in the greater Memphis area has an essence hookup if they can ask for it.

That's actually a pretty interesting and complex story hook.

It'd be metal to see Elvis as a twisted King who doles out scraps of essence for fealty but Charitable Elvis could be real bad for a city's living population. Ghosts are supposed to fade away and die out. Having a hearts-in-the-right-place specter doling out essence to the less fortunate could keep a city's ghostly population on life support indefinitely, which isn't something strictly speaking a city would want. That could be a really cool story...

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

nofather posted:

Yes, you don't have to be human. As do buildings and towns and whatnot, so you don't even have to be animate. Check out Ghost Stories, it's the one with ghost dogs.

This may have changed in second edition but it doesn't seem like it.

The core rules for ephemera definitely still mention ghost buildings and structures.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Check out the depiction of Vulcan in American Gods - the Roman god of fire and metalworking runs a town producing firearms, where "workplace accidents" are just a modern form of human sacrifice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So pluses for the VtM 1e core intro:

Sets the tone incredibly well as one of hella melodrama and SO DARK THE NIGHT SO DARK MY SOUL

Minuses:
Everything else but especially using special terms without defining them and the narrator switching to other languages randomly and not translating them