Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AngryBooch posted:

Hawkeye tried golf and got 18 hole-in-ones, that's more impressive than anything Cap's done imo.

Equally impressive as Kim Jong Il's golfing though.

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
You wouldn't think archery and golf skills have much cross-pollination. Unless he's really good at just aiming stuff like skeeball and bocce.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Codependent Poster posted:

The Hawkeye movie should be him traveling the world going to mini-golf places and making impossible trick shots.

Jeremy Renner in "Marvelshack"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

rantmo posted:

John Rhys-Davies apparently couldn't be arsed to do much of anything prep work as Gimli, including learning the fights, which is super lovely. He didn't even go along with the Fellowship to get their group tattoos.

The guy is still the best part of those movies so I don't really much care if he got the nerd tat or not. It's asking a whole loving lot of an actor to also basically be a stuntman.

Plus he did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUMpQsjhEbo

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Lotta Deadpool 2 filming in my neighbourhood last couple days. I saw domino or more likely her stunt double from a distance, and I assume a Deadpool double with mask on. Domino looks pretty much as billed though at that distance I could only see a big fro.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/895013137669345280

Ugh

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Get used to it. All companies will be doing this soon and Netflix isn't exactly upset about it as they have been shedding content for a long time at this point. It's clear they're moving to a place where they're mostly going to have just their original stuff.

Disney already has an amazing streaming service in Europe and if that's the model they're bringing here I'll be all over it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

People are just going to watch whatever they want on Kodi. I go to get my oil changed and they're talking about it. I go to work and they're talking about it. I don't think people even understand it's stealing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

Disney already has an amazing streaming service in Europe and if that's the model they're bringing here I'll be all over it.

What's so good about it?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Does this mean the end of the Defenders-verse shows or will they be moving to the new service?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

What's so good about it?

Just the amount of content they have on it. Like they've got a lot of the old Walt Disney Treasures stuff and even old TV movies from Disney Channel that you can't find anymore. Tons of the stuff I watched as a kid that's commercially unavailable. That's in addition to all the Disney animated features and I believe even the extras like on the Disney Anywhere App that you get access when you buy the DVD/Bluray. They've also even got soundtracks and books on it as well. All for only like £5 a month.

Dacap posted:

Does this mean the end of the Defenders-verse shows or will they be moving to the new service?

This probably doesn't cover the Marvel stuff at all, just the Disney stuff.

X-O fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 8, 2017

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Dacap posted:

I would assume the ones either filmed or currently in production will be on Netflix since they chipped in all or some of the bill for them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

This probably doesn't cover the Marvel stuff at all, just the Disney stuff.

I posted it here because they have a lot of Marvel movies on Netflix and I figured they'd yank those.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

I posted it here because they have a lot of Marvel movies on Netflix and I figured they'd yank those.

Movies maybe, but he was talking about the series and they aren't going anywhere soon. They just in the last week announced plans for 75 more episodes of various shows being filmed over the next few years.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

People are just going to watch whatever they want on Kodi. I go to get my oil changed and they're talking about it. I go to work and they're talking about it. I don't think people even understand it's stealing.

They don't. Almost everyone I've talked to that's a casual user of Kodi thinks it's completely legit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've never heard of Kodi until right this instant.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's probably not a good idea that a handful of companies (netflix, hulu, amazon) have a monopoly on this stuff anymore.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

It's probably not a good idea that a handful of companies (netflix, hulu, amazon) have a monopoly on this stuff anymore.

Eh.

There's a area that exists between a monopoly and it being too spread out to be good for consumers. Having to have nine different subscription services is genuinely bad as well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

They don't. Almost everyone I've talked to that's a casual user of Kodi thinks it's completely legit.

Probably because people are too used to the idea of "pirating" being exclusively downloading something and not just streaming it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Eh.

There's a area that exists between a monopoly and it being too spread out to be good for consumers. Having to have nine different subscription services is genuinely bad as well.

It's supposedly working out great for us now, but I don't know if I'm confident it would stay that way if stuff like this wasn't happening.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

From a consumer's perspective, having all the poo poo I want to watch split among 30 different services I need to subscribe to is a net negative.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TFRazorsaw posted:

So...not a monopoly?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, that's just a handful, isn't it? Controlling most of the business? Isn't that usually a bad thing?

It doesn't need to be just one to be something worth being nervous about.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's an oligopoly :eng101:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

I mean, that's just a handful, isn't it? Controlling most of the business? Isn't that usually a bad thing?

It doesn't need to be just one to be something worth being nervous about.

No, but you're not exactly getting anything better by having it spread out. You're losing the big benefits of streaming in exchange for having to pay more for the same content.

Like being afraid of a monopoly is understandable but when the thing you're discussing is "access to a lot of content for a subscription service" then the more people try to slice up the service the worse it becomes overall. Having competition is good but in the case of something like streaming services it can be as much a net negative to consumers.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Before Netflix brought together all this stuff and cable was the only option there were cries for years that people wanted to pick and choose which channels they pay for on an individual basis. And that was before streaming backlogs of shows were even a thing, this was just the actual commercial driven network channels. A la carte cable subscription was the dream and now you're all getting it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

Before Netflix brought together all this stuff and cable was the only option there were cries for years that people wanted to pick and choose which channels they pay for on an individual basis. And that was before streaming backlogs of shows were even a thing, this was just the actual commercial driven network channels. A la carte cable subscription was the dream and now you're all getting it.

You keep saying that, but that's never something I asked for. I just wanted (insert popular piracy site) with streaming and a subscription fee. I want all the poo poo and none of the hoops.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I have all 3 - Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon in addition to U-Verse. It works for my wife and I.

I do think it's bullshit that CBS and DC/WB are putting out exclusive shows on their streaming services. I did have Sling and liked it aside from the fact that our internet is rear end.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

You keep saying that, but that's never something I asked for. I just wanted (insert popular piracy site) with streaming and a subscription fee. I want all the poo poo and none of the hoops.

Well you personally may have never wanted that, but that's what a great many people did want. So now they're going to get it like it or not.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I got PlayStation Vue which has been great aside from the app being slow as poo poo, and Netflix, and YouTube Red. That basically covers everything. I had Hulu but everything I would want from there is on Vue anyway.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

X-O posted:

Well you personally may have never wanted that, but that's what a great many people did want. So now they're going to get it like it or not.

The people who wanted this were imagining something like paying $1 per channel they wanted, not $9 per suite of various programs.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
People wanted to pick and choose what channels they want and pay (cost of my current cable bill / number of channels) per channel. Way less $10-15 a month for each service. People don't realize the economics don't work out that way (and why would they?)

As a consumer I want everything on Netflix, at the same price as current Netflix, i.e. the impossible.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The people who wanted this were imagining something like paying $1 per channel they wanted, not $9 per suite of various programs.

Well of course, because at that time people had no idea of what the possibilities were. They wanted to buy channels on an individual basis, just one channel with no choice of programming or any on demand content. The times have changed for the better now and when you buy a service you get way more value so of course it costs more. Pretty soon there's going to be a point where it all becomes moot though because I imagine the days of enforced bandwidth limits or insane monthly fees for unlimited internet services are coming back with a vengeance to accommodate any kind of large scale switch to streaming from the general mass audiences still on cable.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I've got no issues subscribing to 3 or 4 services to get a good spread of the content I want, but having to pay for 10-12 where I'm only watching one or two things on each service? There's no benefit to the consumer and no incentive to stay subscribed for more than a month or two at a time. It's basically a failure of free market economics as they work now because companies refuse to cooperate and dilute their cut of the pie, but end up settling for a smaller pie that may even up being smaller than the slice they're passing up. 4-5 cooperative endeavours where certain families of content are split between would probably be the right balance for most people.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, I've got no issues subscribing to 3 or 4 services to get a good spread of the content I want, but having to pay for 10-12 where I'm only watching one or two things on each service? There's no benefit to the consumer and no incentive to stay subscribed for more than a month or two at a time. It's basically a failure of free market economics as they work now because companies refuse to cooperate and dilute their cut of the pie, but end up settling for a smaller pie that may even up being smaller than the slice they're passing up. 4-5 cooperative endeavours where certain families of content are split between would probably be the right balance for most people.

I mean that's how I treat Netflix now. If there's a show I want to watch I treat it the same as buying a movie ticket. I'll sub for a month, watch what I want then cancel. I did the same with Hulu. I'd do the same with a Disney service. I'd sub for a month or two, watch what I want then cancel. I don't have time to watch these services all the time so I just sub when I want to watch something and that's it. The exception is Amazon because it's part of Prime and I save probably hundreds of dollars a year on shipping through that and the video service is basically ancillary.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

X-O posted:

I mean that's how I treat Netflix now. If there's a show I want to watch I treat it the same as buying a movie ticket. I'll sub for a month, watch what I want then cancel. I did the same with Hulu. I'd do the same with a Disney service. I'd sub for a month or two, watch what I want then cancel. I don't have time to watch these services all the time so I just sub when I want to watch something and that's it. The exception is Amazon because it's part of Prime and I save probably hundreds of dollars a year on shipping through that and the video service is basically ancillary.

And soon they'll start sticking contracts on their subs just so you can't do this! Capitalism works.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

And soon they'll start sticking contracts on their subs just so you can't do this! Capitalism works.

This is kind of an interesting game of chicken, though, because who wants to be the first to do this if you don't have something on the Game Of Thrones kind of "must watch" level as the carrot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Capitalism is all about finding out how much you can gently caress over the average joe before they complain, then loving them over a little bit more.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

That's an oligopoly :eng101:

When is it a cartel? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Wheat Loaf posted:

When is it a cartel? :confused:

A cartel is usually a subset of an oligolopy with an emphasis on price fixing instead of just agreeing not to compete that much

• Locked thread