Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I think you misspelled :murder:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I'm the $60,000 salary range. Also the word "Binance".

I like how the guy saying Warren Buffet is wrong can only afford to wear a hoodie from the bargain bin.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Is Binance finance for bisexuals?

Just in time for Pride.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Devian666 posted:

I like how the guy saying Warren Buffet is wrong can only afford to wear a hoodie from the bargain bin.

How to own Warren Buffet (by buying our shirt)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Maybe he's black? My black in-laws and their friends say females all the time. It was off-putting at first, but I guess it's just a dialect thing? :shrug:

White boy from Whitesville, CO isn't going to judge the implied gender politics of a particular word being used in AAVE by black people from LA.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Maybe he's black? My black in-laws and their friends say females all the time. It was off-putting at first, but I guess it's just a dialect thing? :shrug:

White boy from Whitesville, CO isn't going to judge the implied gender politics of a particular word being used in AAVE by black people from LA.

I don’t know how much better it’d be if he had said “even for women”

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Nice username avatar combo

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Senor Dog posted:

It seems pretty true that women have fewer good career options that don't require an expensive college degree considering like 95% of tradespeople and 85% of enlisted military people are men.

It's only looks weird because he said "feeeeeeeeeemales" like Quark from DS9.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Senor Dog posted:

Yeah, that's true. I was thinking that it was referring to the glass ceiling and how a lot of people think that women just can't work in some fields (looking at you, STEM), but I might have been overly generous.

Moneyball posted:

Nice username avatar combo

I can't tell if you're saying that my post was racist? Because if you're trying to say that me saying that different dialects have different vocabularies and different implications is racist then I'm not sure what to say to that.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Krispy Wafer posted:

Private schools pay significantly less than public schools.

Really? What if you remove the private schools that are private for religious reasons?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

baquerd posted:

Really? What if you remove the private schools that are private for religious reasons?

Yes, almost across the board private schools pay teachers less than public schools. Religious and secular alike.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

private schools don't have a union

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

baquerd posted:

Doesn't matter. Private schools generally pay less than public.

There are good reasons to teach at private schools - the curriculum is more flexible, bad students get kicked out more often, and you get tuition discounts for your own kids. But the pay is almost always lower.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

A lot of private schools also have looser requirements; many private schools just require that people have a degree in a field related to their teaching field, so if you have a BA in english, you can teach english classes. A lot of public schools have stricter requirements, either that you have completed an actual education study, or that you have a specialty degree and have completed an alternative teaching certification course. Sometimes you can start teaching provisionally and have 2 years to complete a certification.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
exeter and andover pay less than a lot of public schools

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

baquerd posted:

Older data but: https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2013/10/why-are-private-school-teachers-paid-less-than-public-school-teachers/280829/

"Private school teachers make way less than public school teachers. Average salaries are nearly $50,000 for public, and barely $36,000 for private. That’s not just a gap. It’s a chasm."

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

A lot of private schools also have looser requirements; many private schools just require that people have a degree in a field related to their teaching field, so if you have a BA in english, you can teach english classes. A lot of public schools have stricter requirements, either that you have completed an actual education study, or that you have a specialty degree and have completed an alternative teaching certification course. Sometimes you can start teaching provisionally and have 2 years to complete a certification.

The only jobs that require you to specialize are high school...maybe middle school, and special ed. A general education degree will get you most places for elementary schools.

And that's all dependent on how many applicants they have. When there are too many teachers you need a teaching cert just to substitute. When there are too many open jobs you might find a Social Studies teacher leading a Calculus class.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Here in Australia, private (or at least Catholic) generally pay the same as public, sometimes more. The private schools get a fair bit of funding from the government.

Ironically, in my area it is the private schools that seem to be much more open and fair about hiring. The Dept of Ed is rife with nepotism and job openings for teachers seldom get published, it's all word of mouth.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Mocking Bird posted:

At least the Mormons don't gouge you for college once you drink the koolaid
At least when I was there BYU was still relatively cheap even if you were non-mormon (although not quite as cheap as for Mormons).

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I was looking at BYU online to finish a bachelors and they really are pretty cheap.

Unfortunately I just couldn’t bring myself to give money to people that tell adults they will get expelled for drinking beer, coffee, tea, or having sex.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Academician Nomad posted:

Also, as much as Liberty disgusts me, it will absolutely be a strong networking tool among other Christians and their huge alumni base (if you include online education, they're the largest university in America). Public teaching won't bring in a ton of money, but a degree from Liberty will open a lot of doors if she changes her mind and does something else, and the lifetime value of a college degree is still extremely worth it, on average. Liberty's leadership and policies and everything else are horrific, but it's also not a for-profit diploma mill like University of Phoenix or DeVry, it's a real university. Just like a law degree from Regent's, it shows you're a rightwing zealot but will absolutely get you employed at a ton of places with people who share your (terrible) values.

Wow $35k/year is impressively expensive. Liberty is regionally accredited so she should have access to Stafford loans, but even best case (independent, 3rd year+) she can only take out a max of $12,500/year. For someone who wants to be a teacher that's a very bad decision, even with any networking perks. It would be much better to got a state school.

As far as "real universities" go; Liberty, DeVry, and University of Phoenix are all regionally accredited; which is the general benchmark for a "real university". Their main sticking point is the cost they charge for their programs more so than their legitimacy. Certainly there will be employers (or grad schools) who won't consider a person from those schools; but most employers don't care. And that sort of bias exists for plenty of other schools too, but many people just need the piece of paper to advance forward.

The lovely and predatory part that many of those schools latch onto is getting people to think it is their only shot. Well sure you may want to goto this state school, but they'll never accept you, so you better come here. So they see the high price tag but feel it is their only option (ITT preyed heavily on this; they weren't a real uni/college tho as they were nationally accredited); you can see that in her story too. She was excited for the opportunity of higher education so took the leap. They come back and say she's accepted and that's the ball game. Nevermind she could probably find a state school that would have a better program and cost $35k total rather than per year.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Weatherman posted:

Oh so you're going to assume its gender now, are you.

No one says "Monsieur Guillotine."

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

No one says "Monsieur Guillotine."

:discourse:

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

Raldikuk posted:

Wow $35k/year is impressively expensive. Liberty is regionally accredited so she should have access to Stafford loans, but even best case (independent, 3rd year+) she can only take out a max of $12,500/year. For someone who wants to be a teacher that's a very bad decision, even with any networking perks. It would be much better to got a state school.

... So they see the high price tag but feel it is their only option (ITT preyed heavily on this; they weren't a real uni/college tho as they were nationally accredited); you can see that in her story too. She was excited for the opportunity of higher education so took the leap. They come back and say she's accepted and that's the ball game. Nevermind she could probably find a state school that would have a better program and cost $35k total rather than per year.

I just cited that the average total student debt for a Liberty university grad IS $35k total, not per year. She will not find a state school granting bachelor's degrees with ticket price anywhere near $35k total in the year 2018. Thankfully there are plenty of places, including Liberty, that will gladly give student aid as well as loans, lowering the effective amount, for people who aren't extremely rich. She's either super rich or boyfriend isn't getting the whole story or she's not even asking for aid, all of which are possible.

quote:

As far as "real universities" go; Liberty, DeVry, and University of Phoenix are all regionally accredited; which is the general benchmark for a "real university". Their main sticking point is the cost they charge for their programs more so than their legitimacy. Certainly there will be employers (or grad schools) who won't consider a person from those schools; but most employers don't care. And that sort of bias exists for plenty of other schools too, but many people just need the piece of paper to advance forward.
Nah, there's a whole world of reputation and networking out there that matters a lot. Liberty gets ranked #80 in regional (South) schools on US News, DeVry and UPhoenix aren't even ranked. It's a whole world above the diploma mills, as much as I dislike the place. I'm sure there's some value in diploma mill diplomas, but there's more from a place that people respect as a real institution.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I just cited that the average total student debt for a Liberty university grad IS $35k total, not per year. She will not find a state school granting bachelor's degrees with ticket price anywhere near $35k total in the year 2018. Thankfully there are plenty of places, including Liberty, that will gladly give student aid as well as loans, lowering the effective amount, for people who aren't extremely rich. She's either super rich or boyfriend isn't getting the whole story or she's not even asking for aid, all of which are possible.

Nah, there's a whole world of reputation and networking out there that matters a lot. Liberty gets ranked #80 in regional (South) schools on US News, DeVry and UPhoenix aren't even ranked. It's a whole world above the diploma mills, as much as I dislike the place. I'm sure there's some value in diploma mill diplomas, but there's more from a place that people respect as a real institution.

The University of Phoenix shouldn't be in the same category as traditional colleges. It's specialty is grown rear end adults who can't work and go to school at the same time. They thought they could rise to that mid-tier academic level, but that came crashing down pretty fast. Their enrollment is half what it was in the late 2000's. As long as they stick with what they're acceptably mediocre at they're fine.

Liberty U. may have loathsome leadership, but at least it's still a traditional college experience. Just with a lot more sweaty, fumbling, guilt-ridden sexual encounters than the average state school.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

The reddit post says the quoted cost is $35k/year; granted this is probably the full cost of attendance, so out of pocket costs should be lower. State schools tend to be around $10k/year (See here for it broken down by state, VA averages more like $14k), so a full 4 years will be about $40k, without factoring in "free money" such as grants and scholarships. So if what she said was correct, you can get 4 years of state school for 1 year of liberty. The average amount of federal loans is around $35k, which makes sense because it is pretty hard to hit the max in loans and a lot will need to be covered out of pocket.

A "whole world of reputation" is true, but also true when discussing differences between what most would consider legitimate schools. Private ivies are considered better than public ivies which are considered better than the standard flagship school, which is better than the 2nd tier state schools etc. US News & World Report isn't very valuable here because schools like University of Phoenix cater to working adults and they don't submit themselves to those rankings because a large part of their assessment criteria is based on judging the experience of first time full time undergraduate students. And according to USN&WR Liberty U is ranked almost last among ranked national universities. And the types of people who view Liberty University degrees positively (ie they seek such students, vs requiring they be from a regionally accredited uni) probably don't care about it being ranked (almost last) on USN&WR.

What exactly is your bar for a 'diploma mill'? As I mentioned in my previous post, regional accreditation is usually used as the benchmark for what is a real university or not. DeVry, Liberty, and U of P are all regionally accredited. That doesn't mean that the degree one seeks will have good return on investment, but it does set a bar for a lot of things. Credits from U of P will be considered by other regionally accredited universities according to their transfer policies. States will consider degrees from them for licensure purposes (usually base requirement is earning a degree from a regionally accredited university). Employers will consider it to fulfill employment requirements. No doubt you can find stories of employers who will throw resumes in the trash with a degree from those places, but I can tell you stories about the same for people who didn't graduate the favorite school of the hiring manager.

All of those words aren't meant to imply I think DeVry or University of Phoenix are good values, they aren't (and they're about to get their asses handed to them as more state schools offer global access programs) at all, but they also aren't diploma mills.

*Edit: I decided to look it up: Liberty U charges $18k/year for tuition, the total cost of attendance is $35k and the additional $17k comes from room, board, & other expenses. This is still pretty expensive; but in line with Virginia state schools (which are more expensive than average) at least. So for her it's probably a wash assuming that Liberty U is set up for teacher credentials, which they probably are.

For additional comparison, University of Phoenix Online is about $10k/year tuition. To my knowledge no state allows for primary teaching credentials to be earned from an online program. Most require you to attend an approved in-person program within the state that incorporates student teaching hours. So for her, U of P would be a bad idea no matter the cost since it wouldn't get her the outcome she wants.

Raldikuk fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 19, 2018

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

"Studies at the school have a Christian orientation, with three required Bible-studies classes in the first year for undergraduate students. The school's honor code, called the "Liberty Way", prohibits premarital sex and private interactions alone between members of the opposite sex. Described as a "bastion of the Christian right" in American politics, the university plays a prominent role in Republican politics."

The place could be free, it's still not worth attending.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, that's true. I was thinking that it was referring to the glass ceiling and how a lot of people think that women just can't work in some fields (looking at you, STEM), but I might have been overly generous.

I can't tell if you're saying that my post was racist? Because if you're trying to say that me saying that different dialects have different vocabularies and different implications is racist then I'm not sure what to say to that.

All I know is, when it comes to females, Cosmo ain't got nothin' to do with my selection.

:buttfame: I don't know where this smiley came from but it seems so right

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Raldikuk posted:

For additional comparison, University of Phoenix Online is about $10k/year tuition. To my knowledge no state allows for primary teaching credentials to be earned from an online program. Most require you to attend an approved in-person program within the state that incorporates student teaching hours. So for her, U of P would be a bad idea no matter the cost since it wouldn't get her the outcome she wants.

You can get an education degree from the University of Phoenix because I got my Masters there. My job at the time paid for about half of it and I was able to take the certification exams and perform the 3 months of student teaching locally. That was 8 years ago so it’s entirely possible the situation has changed since Obama’s first term.

I’m not in the field because I graduated into the worst education job market in a generation and ended up going back to IT. I also discovered that without the networking contacts you get from going to a traditional school it’s that much more difficult to get your foot in the door. So I keep my certificate active and eventually I’ll take another stab at it.

And having gone through it I would discourage anyone from getting their Bachelors there. The school has a purpose, but it’s really not the same thing as a traditional college and I think I benefited a lot going to a State school first. I’d trust a community college Associates over a Phoenix B.A.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

You can get an education degree from the University of Phoenix because I got my Masters there. My job at the time paid for about half of it and I was able to take the certification exams and perform the 3 months of student teaching locally. That was 8 years ago so it’s entirely possible the situation has changed since Obama’s first term.

I’m not in the field because I graduated into the worst education job market in a generation and ended up going back to IT. I also discovered that without the networking contacts you get from going to a traditional school it’s that much more difficult to get your foot in the door. So I keep my certificate active and eventually I’ll take another stab at it.

And having gone through it I would discourage anyone from getting their Bachelors there. The school has a purpose, but it’s really not the same thing as a traditional college and I think I benefited a lot going to a State school first. I’d trust a community college Associates over a Phoenix B.A.

Yeah, I definitely agree. Going to a local community college then transferring to a state school for the bachelor's is the best value. And what you said about networking is spot on. Online programs are for people who already have well developed networks and they need to learn new skills while also having the validation of an accredited degree (which is what most employers would be looking for when doing tuition reimbursement).

There is even value with it at the bachelor's level. There are plenty of people with tons of years of practical experience and they need the bachelor's to validate it in the eyes of employers or the state. For them the time for the traditional experience has passed but the education can still be made available.

For someone who is young enough (or lacks sufficient responsibilities wrt kids and dependents) where a traditional experience is available should take it. Taking a bunch of courses at a community college and then transferring them over to a good local 4 year is going to be cheaper and provide a better value. Community colleges often will have some of the best instructors at the undergraduate level too because they generally are passionate about teaching and want to avoid the churn and burn world of research hell (though there are plenty of research washouts who just want a check).

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Vox Nihili posted:

The place could be free, it's still not worth attending.

Sounds like it could be incredibly GWM.
1. Get a degree at Liberty U.
2. Use your contacts at Liberty U to get a job at the White House (I'd try the job fair).
3. Stay for as many months as you can until you complete the five stages of White House employment.
4. Use your conservative credentials to go into a "think tank" or ride the speaker's circuit giving talks about How Trump ThinksTM or maybe something about shifting paradigms.
5. Sit back and let the bitcoin/gold bullion come in.

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 19, 2018

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Droo posted:

It seems pretty true that women have fewer good career options that don't require an expensive college degree considering like 95% of tradespeople and 85% of enlisted military people are men.

It's only looks weird because he said "feeeeeeeeeemales" like Quark from DS9.

:females:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Unfortunately I just couldn’t bring myself to give money to people that tell adults they will get expelled for drinking beer, coffee, tea, or having sex.
What you should be really mad about is that they'll expel you if you leave the LDS church while you're going there.

(Also I don't think they enforce the coffee/tea thing for non-mormons)

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
So over the next few years a lot of interest only loans will go to principal + interest, 360 billion kangaroo dollars worth of loans. This creates terrible BWM stories:

'Worst decision I've made in my life'

quote:

For Queensland farm manager Hugh Mackey, 61, the switch to interest-plus-principal repayments may prove too much.

He and his wife tried to build a retirement nest egg, buying two investment properties in the coal mining town of Blackwater in 2008, financed by almost half a million dollars in interest-only loans with ANZ.

The town's rental market has slumped, the houses have halved in value, and Mr Mackey is struggling to meet his loan repayments.

"At the moment, with interest only, we're forking out I think approximately $30,000 a year of our own money, separate to the rental income, to not default on the loans."

Even if he sells both investment properties, he has zero equity and may still owe ANZ about $250,000.
http://amp.abc.net.au/article/9886430

knob shiner buys not one but TWO houses in a mining town called blackwater (more like backwater), with a population of ~5000, 2 hours from the nearest "major" centre (pop ~80k). Mining took a downturn. This was their retirement plan.

The article also covers a family that used interest only loan to their advantage and planned for it. Interesting to see older generation building houses like avacados and getting hosed, while younger gen seems to be more financially savvy. We all get hosed because now these dickheads will probably go on pension and rely on their family to bail them out.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Suspicious Lump posted:

So over the next few years a lot of interest only loans will go to principal + interest, 360 billion kangaroo dollars worth of loans. This creates terrible BWM stories:

'Worst decision I've made in my life'

http://amp.abc.net.au/article/9886430

knob shiner buys not one but TWO houses in a mining town called blackwater (more like backwater), with a population of ~5000, 2 hours from the nearest "major" centre (pop ~80k). Mining took a downturn. This was their retirement plan.

The article also covers a family that used interest only loan to their advantage and planned for it. Interesting to see older generation building houses like avacados and getting hosed, while younger gen seems to be more financially savvy. We all get hosed because now these dickheads will probably go on pension and rely on their family to bail them out.

Does Australia let you incorporate real estate investments, or are these people personally hosed?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Does Australia let you incorporate real estate investments, or are these people personally hosed?

It would be pretty weird indeed if Australian corporations couldn't own real estate.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

They're almost certainly personally hosed. The bank isn't going to lend half a million bucks to some tiny shell LLC.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

https://old.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8seigv/in_over_my_head/ posted:

I recently lost my car after about 4 years and had to get a new one. I've had a total of 2 vehicles in my life and they were both bought by my parents, but this time I'm a little more grown up and I bought myself my very first car and the payments are absolutely killing me, it's a 2014 MINI Cooper S priced at 26k and my payments are about $330 every two weeks, 700/mo. (And that's still too low since my mother pays the remaining $70 or whatever is left above 330 every two weeks)

I'm an assistant manager at CVS and can't afford to live on my own and pay for this car. I've been living with my parents for the past 2 years and I especially can't afford to move out now that after bills I have only $200 left average from this car and the hours they've been cutting from me.. my credit is god awful but improving now that I have a car loan I'm paying off, it's at 522 now (before it was 517...).

My option right now is to get my CNA license or pharmacy tech certification or something that will land me a job at higher pay, but I'm kind of stuck in an area where positions are filled everywhere around me, still not impossible though. I just need advice on how to juggle all of this and get me some cushion to fall back on. At the moment I have $20 in my account until 2 days from now and that's about how close I have to cut it every week and I dont even pay rent.

Edit: I was making enough money before my hours were cut and I didn't expect to be making half of what I'm making now

What's stopping you from selling the car and buying a cheaper one?

I kind of promised myself I would get this car as the next car I'd buy, and that I won't go down in quality or year when buying a car, the last car was a 08 dodge avenger and I wanted newer year and a mini, this was the closest and cheapest

Oh well I guess then there's nothing you can do about it.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Not that it's a good idea, but 5 year car loans are also a thing so you're not paying 90% of your income on car payments. Did they not even do a rudimentary calculation to see that the monthly payment would leave them poor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Droo posted:

Oh well I guess then there's nothing you can do about it.
Holy poo poo. lol. Awesome.