Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I'm glad that NOTLD was finally annouced because we all knew it was coming, I was definitely not expecting them to put out a new edition of Silence of the Lambs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

CPL593H posted:

I'm glad that NOTLD was finally annouced because we all knew it was coming, I was definitely not expecting them to put out a new edition of Silence of the Lambs.

Someone in this thread had said Criterion are trying to rerelease a lot of their back catalog that’s been out of print. I believe Man Who Fell to Earth is another one coming back. I can’t wait to get Armageddon again.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

Someone in this thread had said Criterion are trying to rerelease a lot of their back catalog that’s been out of print. I believe Man Who Fell to Earth is another one coming back. I can’t wait to get Armageddon again.

There's already a really good Man Who Fell to Earth blu-ray that came out last year that has a ton of features. I can't see why they'd bother. I'd love to see them do This is Spinal Tap again.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
As long as we're wishing for things, I want Peeping Tom.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Pretty sure they hinted at Spinal Tap or someone involved said that criterion was releasing it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'd kill everyone in this thread for a new edition of Chunking Express.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Criterion re-release The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover. :argh:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
When I was a teenager I wanted The Rock's Criterion release so badly. It seemed like this perfect fusion of the movies I liked and the movies I should like.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Really needing a new Andrei Rublev release.

Also, dude who hasn't seen Silence of the Lambs, get on that poo poo son, don't even wait.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

TheScott2K posted:

I saw a clip where he said "Chianti" wrong and I'm dreading that scene.

It's grating but it isn't that bad, and honestly Hannibal Lecter is not the good part of Silence of the Lambs.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is it possible that he's still using his "West Virginia" accent when he says that

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Steve Yun posted:

Is it possible that he's still using his "West Virginia" accent when he says that

He doesn't do that until later.

Edit: I don't think

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Shout BluRay of Matinee will feature the full version of Mant. This is the best.

https://twitter.com/ShoutFactory/status/931294471701925894

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Shout BluRay of Matinee will feature the full version of Mant. This is the best.

https://twitter.com/ShoutFactory/status/931294471701925894

I’ve already preordered this, and this is just an awesome bonus.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

A bunch of places are going to have a cheap LG UHD Blu Ray player for $99 on Black Friday. Nice to see it finally hit that price point.

Also cheap Samsung - UBD-M7500 4K Ultra HD Wired Blu-Ray Player - Black is $129.99 right now.

I think I'll wait and see what's available on Black Friday or Cyber Monday though.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'd kill everyone in this thread for a new edition of Chunking Express.

It's on the Criterion Channel on Filmstruck, so... :ninja:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cloks posted:

Pretty sure they hinted at Spinal Tap or someone involved said that criterion was releasing it.

I would very much like to see this included on a Spinal Tap release:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzuxUSab_7c

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I checked out the deals on Blu-rays for Black Friday, and Best Buy has a lot of great movies on 4k for as low as $10. This is a great time to stock up.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/black-friday/sale-ad/?category=movies+amp+music

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

I checked out the deals on Blu-rays for Black Friday, and Best Buy has a lot of great movies on 4k for as low as $10. This is a great time to stock up.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/black-friday/sale-ad/?category=movies+amp+music

Get Out is going to be five bucks on Black Friday.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Is Thor Ragnarok not getting a 3d release?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I wouldn’t be surprised if Disney never released a 3D movie again now that they’re releasing in 4K.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Disney still releases their animated movies on video in 3D, but I had to buy Guardians vol 2 from the UK to get a 3D disc. My guess is that will be the same with Thor Ragnarok and probably any other major studio 3D title for awhile, at least until Avatar 2 comes out and interest in 3D comes back again.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
It's black Friday time, people. Amazon's got a shitload of blu-rays on sale

http://www.blu-ray.com/deals/?showp...ll%AEioncoding=

Some highlights:
Kong: Skull Island for $5.99 (PRIME ONLY)
Wonder Woman for $6.99
Spider-Man Homecoming for $7.99
Hateful Eight for $3.99
Batman v Superman for $3.99
Moonlight for $5.99
Arrival for $5.99
Moana for $7.99 (PRIME ONLY
John Wick 2 for $8.99

Also if you want your first UHD purchase to be this, Transformers: The Last Knight UHD for :siren: $9.99 :siren:

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 23, 2017

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

GonSmithe posted:

http://www.blu-ray.com/deals/?showp...ll%AEioncoding=

That is a huge loving list, Jesus Christ.

Is 'The Pacific' worth it for $10? I've never seen it.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Get Out is going to be five bucks on Black Friday.
Where?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Xenomrph posted:

Is 'The Pacific' worth it for $10? I've never seen it.
Well, that’s cheaper than a month of HBO Now. I probably won’t ever want to rewatch it, though.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

GonSmithe posted:

Also worth mentioning that I bought a handful of titles that were split into two shipments, and got a $5 dvd/bluray/uhd for each by choosing the no-rush shipping. Sweet deal!

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Amazon is mainly just matching Best Buy so that’s worth keeping in mind

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Daniel Bryan posted:

I’m seeing deals from other stores as well, including Target and Walmart. Best Buy has the best deals though. If I wasn’t working today, I’d be out there stocking up.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Daniel Bryan posted:

I went into Best Buy recently for the first time in probably a few years, and I was shocked to see that the movie section has been reduced to just about 2 aisles. The video game section was bigger.

A decade ago I briefly worked at Best Buy in the media section, and there were easily 15 aisles dedicated just to DVDs. It was during the holidays, so I spent most of my day just keeping the shelves stocked.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My first UHD purchase was Resident Evil: The Final Chapter.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Nihonniboku posted:

I went into Best Buy recently for the first time in probably a few years, and I was shocked to see that the movie section has been reduced to just about 2 aisles. The video game section was bigger.

A decade ago I briefly worked at Best Buy in the media section, and there were easily 15 aisles dedicated just to DVDs. It was during the holidays, so I spent most of my day just keeping the shelves stocked.

People used to buy the gently caress out of physical media back in DVD's heyday. Prices were affordable and media still felt like it had value.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

TheScott2K posted:

People used to buy the gently caress out of physical media back in DVD's heyday. Prices were affordable and media still felt like it had value.

Me too. I've had these 2 Billy bookcases from Ikea for about a decade now. When I first got them, they were packed with DVDs, and still had a bunch stacked on top. I would buy just about any movie that I even sort of liked.

But I just don't feel the need to anymore. A lot of those movies I watched just one time after buying them and collected dust. I've sold or given away a bunch of them, and now my shelves are half full. These days I really only buy blu-rays sparingly. A new Star Wars, Game of Thrones, some Pixar movies, an occasional Criterion, and a couple of classics like Alien or Jurassic Park

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

For me physical media still has a value, even of its not much, files or streams do not.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Boinks posted:

For me physical media still has a value, even of its not much, files or streams do not.

We are a dying breed. Japan is still a stronghold of physical media collectors but that's because they're the Mecca of collecting hobby obsessives.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

The reason I collect is I’m afraid of streaming services collapsing. If Netflix decides to shift to a 100% original programming model, then I can’t watch certain movies. And there is already a trend of studios creating their own platforms meaning I have to subscribe to dozens of sites to watch everything. And not everything is available to stream either. And no special features for digital media. Physical media is the safest model for a film fanatic.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I don't want to not be able to see something I really like because a licensing agreement expired or a couple of companies got in a pissing match. Or there's people like George Lucas who can't stop loving with stuff, and want to subject you to those changes whether you want them or not.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Boinks posted:

Ditto, but I'm a weird hypocrite about it. I freely buy digital PC games (for the insane sales Steam and GOG have all the time) and digital music (for the a-la-carte nature of only buying the tracks I want, and the ease of building playlists), but I buy physical media for console games and movies.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Best Buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Liar Lyre posted:

The reason I collect is I’m afraid of streaming services collapsing. If Netflix decides to shift to a 100% original programming model, then I can’t watch certain movies. And there is already a trend of studios creating their own platforms meaning I have to subscribe to dozens of sites to watch everything. And not everything is available to stream either. And no special features for digital media. Physical media is the safest model for a film fanatic.

I can’t remember the exact number, but the number of films available on Netflix has dropped by an insane percent over the last few years. That, combined with the current trend of every channel and studio wanting their own service and pulling stuff off of Netflix, means I just buy basically everything I watch and enjoy. It’s expensive, but I don’t have to worry about lovely stream resolution, monthly fees, or dwindling selection.

And to be a total hypocrite, I haven’t bought a physical video game in over 3 years. You get spoiled with everything just sitting on the Xbone hard drive.

• Locked thread